Rosebetz

the GazettE new album "DOGMA" 8/2015 release

4241033-3886633-2559988948-37837.gif

Me looking at the "I was expecting something progressive" comments.

As if the GazettE would do a complete 180 and go that route. Oh boy, lmfaooooooooooo

Asking for the GazettE to be "progressive" is like asking Dir en grey to do Dum Spiro Spero all over again (I hate to do these kinds of comparisons but THIS one time, i think its necessary........and some of y'all did compare this to ARCHE......). And WE ALL know the reception that album got.

Y'all don't want a progressive GazettE.

I don't want a progressive GazettE tbh. Seems like a bad move, especially since their sound is hella distinct as is. That's almost asking to alienate some of their fanbase just to tickle some fancies outside of their usual fanbase. They seem to be growing from Beautiful deformity and their past works with some of these songs, which is whats really important, at least to me. Change doesn't always have to be uber heavy or progressive. It seems as if that's like a "must" among J-rock/metal listeners these days.

1) Dir en grey pulling off DSS again might not be the good case of comparison (seeing as they are still on that route but I am not gonna discuss that any further, off-topic mayhem!) :)

2) If we interpreted points of your (current, everyday) sour Gazette fan a bit differently, "progressive" doesn't have to be always about them adopting the whole new soundscape or taking a leaf or two out of their own DIM books (as in a sense of creating "another concept album"):

"Evolution" that they try to reflect through various means of showcasing their "hard labour" proved out to be quite flimsy - as it was said above, all they did was refining their "technical finesse" a bit (my note: as it was mentioned earlier, arrangements have taken one heck of a nosedive to the point where it's way far off from "finesse") w/ "improved" lyricism (the jury is still out on whether his vastly improved English manages to shed a new light on their current ventures...naw). It's not that hard to keep that "good ol' Gazette" flame burning and introduce a couple of new major aspects in their sound at the same time - just look at their idols, Luna Sea, as a case in point! (embracing their "casual-friendly" prog/pop direction while at the same time keeping their "essential soul" alive through the means of keeping their singles' frills intact)

TL;DR recap: Along with this whole "do another DIM" garbage, I find you guys and your absurd standards of "annually churned out "good ol' Gazette "album being totes okay thing" to be something really unsettling.

Changes don't have to be radical, yes - but how exactly did Gazette "change"? Are they even synonymous with this term, "change"? Really hope these "oooh Uruha and Aoi had some bom-chicka-wow-wow amps and phat axes effing my speakers up with some naaaasty riffwork"-aficionados could shed a better light on how exactly did they "grow" after TOXIC (seeing as this exact record, aside from lame non-singles, had potential in showcasing the "Recochoku-friendly" sound once in a while...just like any other self-respecting act tbh).

Also, handshake event? Are they fricking AKB now? LOL.

*gif*

As if the GazettE would do a complete 180 and go that route. Oh boy, lmfaooooooooooo

Dude, get off your high horse.

a quick look at what these comments actually said would have revealed sth to you

after their first teaser-video i was hoping for...

from all the promotional material released in advance

hoping for sth "progressive" doesn't mean going all Buckethead/Primus. The expectation of a slight appreciation for e.g. sth on the more atmospheric side is quite reasonable after teasers like this

instead of some paint-by-the-numbers leftover tracks slapped together.

also, your deg-comparison makes no sense. do you mean deg turned all proggy with DSS? and how would making another one relate to gaze making sth more progressive? or is the assumption they entered the realm of proggieness with arche then? both of which would be wrong btw.

I heard from my friend that there will be a lottery handshake event thing for everyone who bought the album, all types! People who won the lottery gets to handshake with the band! Might be just rumor though.

Waste almost 20,000 yens to get in a lottery to have a chance to handshake ?

No thank you XD

4241033-3886633-2559988948-37837.gif

Asking for the GazettE to be "progressive" is like asking Dir en grey to do Dum Spiro Spero all over again (I hate to do these kinds of comparisons but THIS one time, i think its necessary........and some of y'all did compare this to ARCHE......). And WE ALL know the reception that album got.

Y'all don't want a progressive GazettE.

I don't want a progressive GazettE tbh. Seems like a bad move, especially since their sound is hella distinct as is. That's almost asking to alienate some of their fanbase just to tickle some fancies outside of their usual fanbase. They seem to be growing from Beautiful deformity and their past works with some of these songs, which is whats really important, at least to me.  Change doesn't always have to be uber heavy or progressive. It seems as if that's like a "must" among J-rock/metal listeners these days. 

lmao who said gazette going progressive had to make them an opeth clone?!?! when i said i expected something progressive i meant songs that moved around and weren't set in gazette's usual rock structure. this wasn't implausible considering the last track, so the people like me who wanted that sound to be continued throughout the album are obviously disappointed.

PS dir en grey had proggy influences looooooong before DSS.

also gazette are getting old and shit you'd think by now they'd like to put other influences into their music beside the hurrdurr chugging from 2007, especially considering that ruki has a lot of interesting influences outside of metal/VK. given all the previous teasers, ruki's instagram posts and ominous i dont see any reason that they couldn't have gone down that route.

Not sure why this album features an electronic opener. Track 2 - Dogma - sounded like it had the right atmosphere for an opener.  I felt the electronic opener was out of place.

I'm excited outside of that - bring the heavy.

Lmao nice discussion, ''no progression'', ''same old Gaze'', welp. :) Previews are amazing, heavy Gazette ftw.

Agreed. One thing I do realize is that no matter how one isn't a big fan of the gazette or tries to come off as a big critic of em, curiosity will get the best of em. Same could be said for those who say "they have one last chance"(I'm guilty of this but BD restored faith). These previews could be ass garbage and everyone in this thread would still peep the album and probably find something they like from it. If not, they were able to once again sucker you into spending time outta your day to listen to their material. Admit it or not, the GazettE has that effect on everyone cuz they the GOAT. And are simply unable of ever again making a bad album. Fight me.

Agreed. One thing I do realize is that no matter how one isn't a big fan of the gazette or tries to come off as a big critic of em, curiosity will get the best of em. Same could be said for those who say "they have one last chance(I'm guilty of this but BD restored faith)." These previews could be ass garbage and everyone in this thread would still peep the album and probably find something they like from it. Admit it or not, the GazettE has that effect on ppl.

It definitely seems to be working for this album. But I have not listened to the last 2 Gazette albums because I wasn't impressed by the previews. They don't always have that effect, unfortunately. And trying to generalize Gazette fans isn't doing you any favors, fyi.

Agreed. One thing I do realize is that no matter how one isn't a big fan of the gazette or tries to come off as a big critic of em, curiosity will get the best of em. Same could be said for those who say "they have one last chance"(I'm guilty of this but BD restored faith). These previews could be ass garbage and everyone in this thread would still peep the album and probably find something they like from it. If not, they were able to once again sucker you into spending time outta your day to listen to their material. Admit it or not, the GazettE has that effect on everyone cuz they the GOAT. And are simply unable of ever again making a bad album. Fight me.

Gazette attracts all sort of peoples, fans, former fans, even people who doesn't care about them lol.

LOL I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THESE PREVEIWS ROFL THEY'RE 50 50

50 % Awesome

50% Shitty Loser

Will try whole Album and will then write fan aggrivating review like I always do.

I feel like after reading the comments on The GazettE new release threads on here, it seems with every thread it's the same comments, same responses, same arguments, same obsessed fans, same obsessed haters, just different song titles getting thrown around lol

I feel like after reading the comments on The GazettE new release threads on here, it seems with every thread it's the same comments, same responses, same arguments, same obsessed fans, same obsessed haters, just different song titles getting thrown around lol

It have never change since 2007 afaik :D

But that is what a forum is.

yeah it is kind of crazy to repeat the same formula of trying to expect the unexpected when you know most bands don't deviate from their formula too much. if you like them, cool listen to them if you don't like what they are doing, don't listen to it. That's how I feel about it. Me, personally I've never had a problem with what they've put out. As an artist you do you, not what people want to hear. I hope that's the case for most bands around now but I guess that could not be true.

yeah it is kind of crazy to repeat the same formula of trying to expect the unexpected when you know most bands don't deviate from their formula too much. if you like them, cool listen to them if you don't like what they are doing, don't listen to it. That's how I feel about it. Me, personally I've never had a problem with what they've put out. As an artist you do you, not what people want to hear. I hope that's the case for most bands around now but I guess that could not be true.

This

Gazette set this hype up for people to expect something different. I do agree that people shouldn't expect them to sound like a totally different band, but expecting something more atmospheric or sound that felt more inspired by the previews never seemed like people were expecting too much to me.

Gazette set this hype up for people to expect something different. I do agree that people shouldn't expect them to sound like a totally different band, but expecting something more atmospheric or sound that felt more inspired by the previews never seemed like people were expecting too much to me.

+1. Anyone claiming that "the GazettE doesn't change" needs to go back in time farther back than DIM.

They are all about change. The GazettE have been setting up hype towards the "differentness" in their next releases since Wakaremichi. Look at the progression from Cockayne Soup to Gama, then again from DISORDER to STACKED RUBBISH, and then tell me where on that spectrum would one place 大日本異端芸者的脳味噌逆回転絶叫音源集. The mini-albums themselves sound like a completely different beast than the punk influenced DISORDER, and nothing else in their discography sounds like the nu-metal/rap rock STACKED RUBBISH, and we all know about DIM so I'll leave it at that. And we can't forget about my favorite track of theirs by all time: Zetsu!

I'm just saying that people expect something different because The GazettE have set the trend of reinventing themselves every so often. TOXIC/DIVISION was their last major reinvention where they leaned towards a more electronic influenced sound, and they tried to bring together the old and the new with BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY. It's about time for them to adjust their direction to try something new again, and to expect that after literally five years of the same electro rock influenced music is not only understandable, it is completely justified.

At the end of the day, it is up to the band themselves to make the type of music they want to make. But no band has ever gotten as influential or as big as the GazettE in visual kei by ignoring the reactions of their fans toward their music or by ignoring the demands of their record label. They really do care about what we think...maybe a little bit too much if I may say so myself. I would even say that the "dark, mysterious" vibes I'm getting from this promotional campaign is a conscious choice to capitalize on this expectation of ours. And the fact that you continue to see the same memes and responses in every GazettE thread means that they are very good at managing these expectations while keeping us interested, even when they string us along for months at a time with nothing but the album cover and some samples.

Everyone keeps mentioning this need for change. What exactly do you want them to change to though? I bet there would be zero complaints if every album was like DIM based on how much people bang on about it. Don't get me wrong, it's easily their best album, but I just feel these demands for change are ridiculous given the fact they've always had a distinctive sound. Not every band can pull off a Dir En Grey.

Everyone keeps mentioning this need for change. What exactly do you want them to change to though? I bet there would be zero complaints if every album was like DIM based on how much people bang on about it. Don't get me wrong, it's easily their best album, but I just feel these demands for change are ridiculous given the fact they've always had a distinctive sound. Not every band can pull off a Dir En Grey.

There's two different types of changing that can happen: big changes and small changes.

Big changes are things like moving out of visual kei, playing a new genre, getting/losing some core members etc. These things can distinctively alter or change a band's sound. The GazettE has had some big changes in their career like DISORDER->NIL, DIM->TOXIC, DIVISION->BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY. Small changes are when bands create music similar enough to be earmarked as "theirs" but different enough from earlier/other similar artists so that the music doesn't sound too familiar. Transitions like TOXIC->DIVISION, Cockayne Soup through Hankou Semieibun/Gama, and now probably DIM->DIVISION fit in here even though they don't directly follow (they don't necessarily have to).

Note that I did not use terms like "best", "better", etc. Bands can change and get worse too.

If BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY was their way of "revisiting NIL", this is probably their way of "revisiting DIM". When I read "change", I'm keeping in mind that most GazettE fans praise DIM, so I think of it as doing something similar to it without making DOGMA a cheap copy of it. After all, if I wanted to listen to DIM, I'd listen to DIM. That's what some of us have been doing since 2009 (luls).

Band members here also know about their strengths and their weaknesses better than we do. It is up to them to apply what (if anything) that they learned between the release of their last album and now into their newest album. Peeps are probably disappointed because for all the things that they got right there are still other glaring ~issues~ that haven't been rectified in what...five years now?

Also, because we all have short memories does anyone else remember how well received the announcement for BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY was? Just a year ago there were way more detractors towards their new single and album than what we read now. In here, even the most negative of peoples have some amounts of interest for this new album. I have not seen GazettE fans this ready for a new album since DIM.

So let's stop all the meta chatter about what other people think about what other people think. It doesn't make for good conversation.