zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

The whispers maybe more of a scifi than horror but these 4 eps are way better than that piece of complete & utter shit amercain horror story spit out for a forth season, i bet teen wolf's new season going to shit on it as well along mtv's new show Scream (like the movie, which everyone is saying is going to suck for some reason). make me miss the bitchcraft though that and penny dreadful is trash compared to the glorious Salem. still miss vikings a bit :(

The new 04 Limited Sazabys album is great. I'm sad that they changed the lyrics to "Any", though. It's not quite the same without Gen butchering the line "hoping I won't lose my future leaving me".

It's cool to see that he actually tried to make the English more natural on the re-recordings, though. I can really hear him trying to enunciate.

after watching Aquarius a while ago im defiantly #teamRazor , sweeney todd didn't do it for me. bye bye knives

I pent way too much throwing at tin cans and darts with my mates at work yesterday. How anyone is willing to pay us for the "job" we did yesterday is unbelieveable. Or, the bosses don't know, so I guess that's why. Ended the day by playing chess against one of my mates. Three matches, 1-1-1. He gets so mad when he lose. It's so much fun!

• it was good for its time
  • it was good for what it is
  • it's "pretty interesting"
  • there is no plot, it's bad
  • it was bad because I couldn't identify with the main character
  • it was good because I could identify with the main character
  • it's bad because there are no vocals
  • the lyrics are hard to hear, this is bad
  • there is no good chord progression
  • it's bad because the ending doesn't give any answers
  • it was pretty good because there was enough action

Collecting borderline idiotic quotes people tend to use when commenting on a novel/song/film/life/anything.

What's the matter beni? :o

I can't take anyone seriously who uses that line because it shows they have great difficulties seperating a piece of art from a timeline and it's suggesting that we must adapt our expectations to what was considered the norm at that time.

If someone uses that line it's hard to find out whether or not he/she was genuinely impressed or entertained by what they experienced or if they lied to themselves and said "I didn't like it all that much but I never witnessed anything like that from other things of that time so I must tell myself it's better than I first thought". It's dishonest to yourself and whoever hears/reads it.

Perhaps some people use the line in even stranger occasions when trying to say that something was relatively new for the time. Like for instance a song with rapping in it or a distorted guitar sound in 1955 or something and they confuse "new" from "good" and they use that silly "good for its time" line and it just creates confusion. I hate the line very much.

/little useless rant

Why does the media insist on putting out news articles like "women in the ages of x and x are more likely to x in case of x" and "young men spend more money doing x and generally have x by the time they reach x" and "people with a higher education have x percentage more of x" etc etc etc as if they want readers to feel fear and adapt their lifestyles according to what the fucking gossip papers say. Let's insist on creating even greater gaps in society than there are already. Damn it all to hell, rotten media.

Even more annoying is when this dirt finds a way into a daily conversation "have you heard, studies have shown that irrelevant x and irrelevant x's are more x" I don't care and I'm sorry that you care! :angry:

Ash Ra Tempel is really soothing music. I wonder what the media has to say on my income, level of education and homicidal tendencies.

I can't take anyone seriously who uses that line because it shows they have great difficulties seperating a piece of art from a timeline and it's suggesting that we must adapt our expectations to what was considered the norm at that time.

If someone uses that line it's hard to find out whether or not he/she was genuinely impressed or entertained by what they experienced or if they lied to themselves and said "I didn't like it all that much but I never witnessed anything like that from other things of that time so I must tell myself it's better than I first thought". It's dishonest to yourself and whoever hears/reads it.

Perhaps some people use the line in even stranger occasions when trying to say that something was relatively new for the time. Like for instance a song with rapping in it or a distorted guitar sound in 1955 or something and they confuse "new" from "good" and they use that silly "good for its time" line and it just creates confusion. I hate the line very much.

/little useless rant

haha i definitely get what you mean here, but i can think of at least one situation where it's probably fine to say that. suppose someone comes along and complains that FF7 has terrible graphics and that destroyed what was otherwise an excellent game that's probably what i'll say XD 

more generally though, i think it's an appropriate response when a piece of art or cultural production (call it x) was of a reasonably good standard at the point it was produced and is then retrospectively criticized by someone 50 years later against a set of transhistorical standards that never existed for x and which it could never have come close to (even if x played a role in its eventual development). after all, many (if not all) modes of aesthetic judgment are historically and culturally situated.

just finnished a service to the Queen of cursed doll, got me feeling myself again.

- her servant blackdoll