zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

Yesterday we were 10 grown ups at work and only 12 kids. That's just crazy. Gives us the chance to have long lunch brakes, though, and still get paid for it. It's beautiful.

watching this show and this bitch wont stfu, i hope that bitch dies

I feel like I've been kinda quiet here in recent weeks. So here's what I've been up to:

I'm getting [back] into vinyl, which is bad news for my wallet.

Even though I don't have a turntable yet, I'm mainly focused on buying releases, and one band I listen to released a couple of rarez in the early 90s that are now worth hundreds of dollars (not as expensive as $10,000 Misfits rarez, but still expensive), so wallet rape is imminent. Also, Summer seems like a very bad time to order vinyl online (or to even buy them at a store and transport them home in a car with insufficient air con).

Eventually, I will have to start saving for a turntable (so I can rip all that vinyl only stuff). Right now I'm torn between saving for a $600 TT (and getting a USB pre-amp and cork platter cover and other cool shizz) and try to make the most "accurate" high quality vinyl rips that I can... OR... just getting some cheap $250 USB TT (AT-LP120) that'll make kvlt sounding rips and I'd just embrace all the surface noise, the tape-like hissing, the electrical humming, the clicks and pops, and the crackles.

So yeah, that's my ramble, that's what I've been up to lately.

Vinyl rips are only decent when made with very, very high end equipment. I wouldn't bother with that or with super rare records.

Definitely get a cork platter though, those work wonders! And they're really not expensive, like 20 bucks for one.

Vinyl rips are only decent when made with very, very high end equipment. I wouldn't bother with that or with super rare records.

Definitely get a cork platter though, those work wonders! And they're really not expensive, like 20 bucks for one.

Yes, I definitely intend to get a cork platter mat.

I'm guessing by "very, very high" you mean $12,000 and not $600? :lol:

It's going to be awhile before I make a decision on turntables, though I do have some particular turntables I'm considering. As for rare records, I'm willing to pursue them because some are not impossible to find, but just quite expensive, so I will have to save money.

More on audio quality, from what I've read in this article, I think one of the reasons vinyl rips I've found online are inferior quality might be due to ripping at a high sample rate (96kHZ instead of 48kHz).

Digitalizing vinyl records seems to be notoriously difficult unless you are a professional with professional equipment. I listened to some Kate Bush vinyl rips but even at the insane file size of 1 GB+ for barely 40 minutes of music I didn't notice any real advantage compared to listening to the same music on CD. I heard acceptable vinyl rips but I've heard a lot worse too (tried some The Sisters of Mercy vinyl rips once and they made my ears bleed).

In my experiences the advantage of vinyl records (besides the obvious like large sleeves and general 'collectability') is the dynamic sound in comparison to the CD. A good vinyl record has been treated with a slightly altered mastering. I'm no expert, but somehow this element is often lost or greatly diminished when trying to copy vinyl to a digital file... so the result of a vinyl rip with decent equipment is closer to that of a CD except with the added little imperfections like crackles. So what's the point?

For me it's often a decision between listening to the record on my turntable with greater dynamics and slightly more details and take the little imperfections for granted, or to listen to a CD with a slightly 'flatter' sound but no imperfections otherwise. Both sound good to me. But a vinyl rip makes no sense... it's like... the worst of both worlds? Crackles + flat sound.

But of course the turntable and tonearm and amps and speakers and listening room acoustics and, and, and, etc all influence the sound so what do I know from just my own experience

Yeah, for me, the main reason I want a turntable is so I can rip vinyl exclusive material that I can't find on CD or digital FLAC, and maybe I'll rip stuff I can still get on CD simply for observational purposes, just for the hell of it. And if I can find a USB pre-amp with a headphone jack, I'll maybe play the records every now and then, too.

Since I have a very small budget and I have no interest on wasting money, my decision comes down to whether or not I want to bother paying all the extra money in a possibly futile attempt to make "professional" quality rips; if I want to buy a $600 TT with ~$200 worth of accessories for something that might not be so great, or buy some $300 thing that's great for the price, get some accessories, and just embrace the flaws. I read reviews on equipment, and I look for professional reviews, I don't read the ones on Amazon very often.

Went to the movie theaters with my job today, which mean I had 13 kids with me, and some other school came as well so it was something like 40 kids there. And despite this amount of kids there, it was still the best movie experience I've had at the cinema in many, many years. There was some talking, but way less than in a regular show for old teens/grown ups. That is shocking. It's kids for fucks sake. How can they have better manners than adults? Good for me, though. A nice way to earn ones living. Shame it was a one-off thing. I'd do that every single day if I could.

me every day

DOKUTAH RAH NIYAH SHICK SHICK SHICK SHICK DOKUTAH RAH NI YAH SHICK SHICK SHICK SHICK SHICK 

DOKUTAH RAH NIYAH MMMMMMM SHICK DOKUTAH NI YAH MMMMMMMM SHICK lmfao kuroyume

the fights that we have are so stupid and a waste of time..and not only that you brake my fucking fan...

i fucking hate when we fight...and the fight was so bad that i accidentally said i hate you

ugh i tell people don't piss me off...MAYBE YOU SHOULD LISTEN!! 

when your excited for the new teen wolf :schock::shoot::yeah::drool::neko::ninja::wan-34::wan-30::wan-45::wan-44::wan-46::wan-40::wan-04::staru::fap::spin::arg:B)

Another lovely moment on Tumblr where you get your private information revealed through an IP-tracker because you accidentally visited the blog of someone who hasn't been active on there since May 2014. Girl, if you are so obsessed with who harmlessly visits your dead blog and check your tracker every single day until someone shows up only to call them out before they are even given a moment to explain themselves, you need help. Luckily IP-trackers never quite pinpoint the town wherein I actually live, but pick the next bigger city. 

Another lovely moment on Tumblr where you get your private information revealed through an IP-tracker because you accidentally visited the blog of someone who hasn't been active on there since May 2014. Girl, if you are so obsessed with who harmlessly visits your dead blog and check your tracker every single day until someone shows up only to call them out before they are even given a moment to explain themselves, you need help. Luckily IP-trackers never quite pinpoint the town wherein I actually live, but pick the next bigger city. 

What... that's insane. Could you specify what kind of a blog it was?

I don't get it. Call you out on what? On visiting their blog? What kind of blog? Why do they track whoever visits a dead blog? Explain yourself for visiting their blog? Doing what? So many questions.

What... that's insane. Could you specify what kind of a blog it was?

The blog of someone who used to be one of my roleplay partners. I sunk into a writer's block and sometimes made statuses about that on AIM. Somehow they didn't appreciate that I needed more time for things and they developed some sort of dislike toward me for being slow. 

Someone please create a thread named "The Evil Things You've Done". It must be hilarious to read. :bunny:

I could make a topic called "The evil things nostalgia. does" because you seem very eager to share your villainous behaviour!

I've taken an oath not to use the word "interesting" ever again in the context of describing anything in the entertainment arts such as songs, films, paintings and novels. If anyone catches me using the word in that context from this day on then please ban me for a couple of days or change my avatar to a cone of shame or something.

By the way the kitty is not begging for your or anyone else's mercy!