Spike760

Dir en grey

can anyone translate what it says? lol that outfit. reminds me of that random boy that runs around in the ZAN PVs.

I think we never discussed this subject afaik but either way, let's breathe some life into this thread:

What are/is your favorite performance(s) from latest DSS Budokan DVD?

Despite being my least favorite performance of the said song (Budokan 2012 version takes the lead), I'd go with 'Vinushka' due to the fact that it feels less 'try-hard' and 'dry' than other songs off both days. The biggest problem lying around there was pretty much the way mixing/mastering folks compressed band's sound - to the point where 'live experience' is eventually disappearing imho. DSS was not clearly considered to be played live, unlike say, MOAB (done during touring) and UROBOROS (read the former + they went into it straight away without fussing with "deepness").

In addition to my previous question, what is your "THE favorite, all-time live performance" by DEG? (I added/emphasized "THE" here for a reason)

Mine would be this:

One of the few DEG remakes I really 'welcome' (Why? Roles of each member are in balance in here) and man, you gotta love their synchronized play! (the original is still a goodie classic tho, the solo etc.)

Just a FYI, ARCHE is the #1 trending album on SputnikMusic. Which is kind of big considering the website is full of music elitists. 

I just want to point out that the "poll" for ARCHE in the featured review #19 is made typically cynical for our no1 please-hate-the-hype-band Dir en grey.

Literally you can choose between

- super-duper

- a little bad

- half bad

- very bad

- horrible

This is ridiculous.

If you don't know how to describe the ranks 1 - 5, then just leave them as they are. Or make it like anyone else would do it:

- great

- good

- average

- below average

- bad

Or whatever. EDIT: lol, you even try to predict what people would find bad about this? Are you serious? This is not how you create a review poll. What are you gonna do next?

- Super duper! Every song is flawless!

- Songs "XYZ" were pretty good

- Average

- I hated his voice. And the mixing.

- I hated everything

I'm not trying to argue in any way but I honestly have to agree here and I immediately noticed this when I went to vote in the poll myself.

I just want to point out that the "poll" for ARCHE in the featured review #19 is made typically cynical for our no1 please-hate-the-hype-band Dir en grey.

- super-duper

- a little bad

- half bad

- very bad

- horrible

This is ridiculous.

If you don't know how to describe the ranks 1 - 5, then just leave them as they are. Or make it like anyone else would do it:

- great

- good

- average

- below average

- bad

• Their best album to date!
  • Overall good, but had some flaws.
  • Some good, some bad. Average album.
  • Below average. Too strange / try hard. Only liked a few tracks.
  • It sucks. Makes for a nice coaster for my beer though.

What the hell are you complaining about?

- super-duper

- a little bad

- half bad

- very bad

- horrible

This is ridiculous.

- great

- good

- average

- below average

- bad

Or whatever. EDIT: lol, you even try to predict what people would find bad about this? Are you serious? This is not how you create a review poll. What are you gonna do next?

- Super duper! Every song is flawless!

- Songs "XYZ" were pretty good

- Average

- I hated his voice. And the mixing.

- I hated everything

That reminds me of a certain D.I.D. song.

Paranoia...

The choices in that poll were pretty logical and agreeable, and that's coming from me who's a huge fan of Diru.

I feel like you just took those positive (1, 2) options in the poll as sarcasm merely because the reviewer usually harshly criticizes the band.

Flawed reasoning makes low quality argument.

I call myself a fan, but if being a fan makes it obligatory to get butthurt everytime someone criticizes my favorite and attack him, then maybe I should stop calling myself one.

By the way, is it me, or did they put reference to their older material in some tracks of ARCHE?

For example, the guitar starting around 1:15 in Un Deux reminds me of Yurameki, and bass around 0:25 of Kaishun sounds similar to Diabolos.

@Zeus I'll make it short:

• Their best album to date!
  • Overall good, but had some flaws.
  • Some good, some bad. Average album.
  • Below average. Too strange / try hard. Only liked a few tracks.
  • It sucks. Makes for a nice coaster for my beer though.

1. You literally take the words out of your readers/potential reviewers. It's up to them to decide if there had been "flaws" of if Dir en grey were "strange" or "tried too hard". You're already putting your own expectation of how the reviews may look like and take them into a poll where they don't belong.

2. There's a difference between "flaws" and simpy things f.E. I personally don't like. And every reviewer/listener may have a very individual take on this. The term "flaws" takes a relatively objective position, without being specified. Some would f.e. argue that "music" as itself doesn't have flaws but simply is dependent on the listener.

3. To start off with "BEST ALBUM THEY EVER MADE" is ... pretty high-stacked, isn't it? Again, I feel a very cynical vibe about this. If you put it that way, people who would consider it maximally on par with their best releases while still giving full score would naturally hesitate to do so because of the way you put it. That's why I suggested to you the pretty simple alternative of

- great

- good

- average

- below average

- bad

See the difference? Much more free and it gives much more possibility to express notions of like/dislike in every possible way. It doesn't make you look cynical btw.

I won't argue on that any further btw. I said what I wanted to say.

If you don't agree with the poll you have the option of posting your own opinion/review in the thread. Why not simply say "It was a great album, but certainly not their best" instead of criticizing? It's kind of sad there are 5 in depth reviews there and what you took away from that post was the poll. 

If you don't agree with the poll you have the option of posting your own opinion/review in the thread. Why not simply say "It was a great album, but certainly not their best" instead of criticizing? It's kind of sad there are 5 in depth reviews there and what you took away from that post was the poll. 

Because I like to critizise things when I have the feeling of doing so. I don't like to ignore things. I loved the reviews, all of them. I love your thread. But if there are things that bother me, I will talk about it. Sry btw if I appeared too rude on this.

I think the review squad always welcomes critique with an open mind, at least, as much as I know of them, but I think the feeling your initial post created was one of discontent without any substancy. If you have critique on the way the review staff does their polls, then sure, speak out! However, it's kind of useless to just complain so to say and not offer any other solutions or give them feedback on how they could do better. That can be a bit off-putting, as myself (and the other staff members) can state from past experiences when we were taking suggestions for improving the forum.

We're all for members giving their voice on what they'd like to see different, but negative commentary alone without potential ideas of how it could be better often comes over as very negative and something people don't really take seriously.

>>However, it's kind of useless to just complain so to say and not offer any other solutions or give them feedback on how they could do better<<

That's exactly what I did. I GAVE a solution. I EXPLAINED what I found wrong in this. What else do you want?

And just to repeat it for the sake of it:

- I criticised your poll because they gave unprecise and prescriptive options to choose from, which in the end are just limiting and confusing.

- My solution was a very simple alternation of the options from this poll. Reason being that this would erase alot of confusion for what to choose, ease the overlook of the overall impressions for outside readers and give way to a way more free range of explanations and positions.

I wrote them two times, how did you overlook this? I was being rude and I apologized, but you can't just make stuff up, man. You gotta read before you write.

- I criticised your poll because they gave unprecise and prescriptive options to choose from, which in the end are just limiting and confusing.

yeah, that's what I thought about the poll as well. I think the gap between 1st and 2nd choices is way too large and needs an extra option, or something.

it's a matter of wording, but 2-nd option feels like a 3rd choice with an in-betweener missing.