Alkaloid

Sel'm will disband

I'm sad seeing them go. I've been following them since their initial era in 2005 because of their first vocalist, Tora, who was the ex-Girugamesh Vo. :<

They've been such an underrated band during their period. I personally enjoy listening to most of their songs though. Both Tora and Ryuga are good vocalists and perfectly fit the band's music in their own styles.

Well, 11 years in the scene is sure long for a VK band, and they've been through a lot. I just hope ex-Sel'm members will continue making music again.

^ I've been following them since 2005 as well and it sucks to see them go, but hey, I'm still shocked they managed to last this long (11 years!) with such a small fanbase in Japan. I expected them to disband sooner or later, but they've released some incredible songs throughout their career, so it's all good.

yea i think i predicted this in a thread here (maybe i predicted the opposite??)

+1 on everything @saishuusaid, the fact that they actually lasted this long is a great achievement.

Oh wow.

They're one of those bands that I followed from the beginning, then gradually stopped listening to them, and they kinda faded into the background, like -OZ- for example. To be honest, I kinda had a vague memory that they've already disbanded like a year or so ago, but guess not then. xD

Edited by Jigsaw9

12 minutes ago, SEKHMET said:

It feels like they would last a long time, gues not. R.I.P.

Well, 11 years is an impressive run for a VK band...

Still, ( TДT)

So, what's everyone's favorite songs and releases?

As far as releases go, mine would probably be iconoclasm (Ryuga) and resistance + アンソロジー (Tora).

影 is without a doubt my favorite song of theirs, followed closely by ラメント and then サイサリス, 追憶, ロイド, Believer, sayonara and Dears.

Edited by saishuu

Kind of suspected this would happen, with how quiet they went. 
Still ouch. One of the few bands I was still actively following, buying all releases... Let's hope the members continue with music.
I could imagine that Manj's health doesn't allow him to continue and they decided Sel'm wouldn't be Sel'm without him and call it quits.

It's true Manj"s back problems have been ongoing, I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to it either, and I agree if that's the case the band wouldn't continue without him. 

I'm sad to see them go but I haven't really been excited about their output since Tora left. I wish them the best of luck in whatever comes next.

This one should shock absolute no one, they're around like forever, constantly dishing out awesome songs and never seemed to hit big... Even western people didn't really dig much their sound... I honestly believe they've only lasted so long cuz MANJ wouldn't call its quits, which is freaking sad, their discography is full of gems, Tora was a monster, Brilliant force a damn good album (a re-recording of this album would be so amazing), and Ryuga can definitely hold his own

Really hope at least MANJ stays in the scene

I remember buying Brilliant Force and liking it, but never followed them beyond that . Actually surprised to hear they're still active. That's pretty impressive. 

It's kind of weird saying this on a (VK focus) Jrock board, but for the longest time that I followed Jrock I've always tended to ignore any of the new VK bands. I was always into the 90s bands mostly, with MUCC, Merry, lynch., being the exceptions.   That said, I still see band names pop up often just by visiting sites... Not that I know what any of these VK bands sound or look like. For example, I know BORN and Lycoan are bands. Never heard their music, but I know they exist. Anyway, I found out about these guys last year. I really liked their violations mini. And the album they released last year was good too. What blew my mind when I was getting into them is that I found out they have been around forever. I thought they were a new and upcoming band ready to make it big. When I saw their discography with releases from 2006 I was like what the fuck? And yet, until last year I had never heard of them.  Ever.  On like any news site. Natalie? Nope. Musicjapan Plus? No. Jame? No. Like, how the fuck did these guys manage to go under the radar so badly. They're pretty fucking good. You would think more people would have made a bigger deal about them.

Edited by Kiyoharu is God

I think most people expressed what I have been thinking.

I found out about them back in like 2013 and honestly never bothered with anything from the era with Tora.

I'm not surprised but pretty disappointed. I figured they'd just be around forever since they've already been around forever while staying at the same small size.

I agree that MANJ"'s back problems can't go unmentioned and are probably a factor. He's one of the best drummers I've ever seen and I can't imagine him taking the task of an official band again but I hope he doesn't retire entirely...

I've seen them about 10 times and have had a lot of memories from those lives--catching Jon before his ass fell on the ground, Ryuga pulling me in to shout into the mic, saizen in front of Tsubaki, drinking with friends after seeing them, etc. etc. 

I can't believe it's been about a year since I've seen them....... orz

They've always been good live. But my problem with them is less their performance but more their range. A lot of their songs are amazing but if you listen to them all together it all kind of sounds the same. 

Really bummed I can't go to their last live. At the very least I guess I will go see them on Tuesday since they are in Osaka then.

As for fav release it'd have to be brave

It has some of my favorite songs of theirs: brave, MADIA, 鬼哭啾啾

How sad, I've been listening to them since I first started listening to Vk ;~; My favorite releases by them would probably be Iconoclasm, Brave, Voice, and Violations.