zombie8mylunch

random thoughts thread

I've never understood the sheer amount of media attention that plane crashes get. If you send thousands upon thousand of planes into the air, eventually one or two will crash here or there; same thing with cars, trains, etc. As tragic and unpleasant as it might be, it shouldn't really be such a shock whenever it happens.

I think i like everything but am just really picky with a uniqe sense of taste, with a no tolerance policy for crud!

It's great that my CDs are getting shipped out, but still I'm waiting on The♡Valentine. and I bought them before these others CDs that are getting shipped before it. Kinda wondering if their mini album is sold out :/

I've never understood the sheer amount of media attention that plane crashes get. If you send thousands upon thousand of planes into the air, eventually one or two will crash here or there; same thing with cars, trains, etc. As tragic and unpleasant as it might be, it shouldn't really be such a shock whenever it happens.

Plane crashes usually don't come as a big shock on anybody (at least not over here), but it's still tragic as fuck and deserves plenty of media attention because of all the lives that got lost. But this time it was in fact shocking, as some guy most likely decided to crash the plane and kill 150+ people. How on earth could that not shocking?

French toast crunch is not as good as cinnamon toast crunch.

lol

the day i get my degree is the day i fly over to japan and become wataru's tsunagari/sex friend

Plane crashes usually don't come as a big shock on anybody (at least not over here), but it's still tragic as fuck and deserves plenty of media attention because of all the lives that got lost. But this time it was in fact shocking, as some guy most likely decided to crash the plane and kill 150+ people. How on earth could that not shocking?

Because people kill people all the time. Whether it's a school attack, civil war, terrorist attacks, gang violence, genocide, etc. It happens. It will continue to happen. It's beyond tragic for everybody directly involved, but it's irrelevant for humanity at large. Just another large scale killing to join the billions of other examples throughout human history that simply wont stop because the cause is inherent within human nature. 

I'm aware that I'm probably coming across like an insensitive asshole here but that genuinely isn't my intention. I've just always found this strange morbid obsession with death in the media to be rather disturbing. You even stated yourself that it "deserves plenty of media attention because of all the lives that got lost", but why? Why does a higher death count increase the need for news outlets to descend upon the story, sensationalise it, and leave the privacy of the victims and those grieving compromised? I've experienced the premature death of a loved one and not once did it feel like a sensational experience that I felt everybody needed to know about; quite the opposite, in fact. Death is one of the very few certainties in life (if not the only one), every single person on this forum will die, so will everyone we know, just as the billions upon billions of people that have preceded us all did. I feel that it's something we should all just acknowledge already, and just accept that when it happens, particularly in a sudden incident such as this, it's better the leave those directly affected to grieve and stop turning the entire world's attention to it. 

Sorry if that seems overly fatalistic and gloomy. It's never my intention to be depressing with this sort of stuff; I just think that it would be a disservice to sugar-coat the reality of topics like this.

fuck what i should do, just wanna chill

Because people kill people all the time. Whether it's a school attack, civil war, terrorist attacks, gang violence, genocide, etc. It happens. It will continue to happen. It's beyond tragic for everybody directly involved, but it's irrelevant for humanity at large. Just another large scale killing to join the billions of other examples throughout human history that simply wont stop because the cause is inherent within human nature. 

I'm aware that I'm probably coming across like an insensitive asshole here but that genuinely isn't my intention. I've just always found this strange morbid obsession with death in the media to be rather disturbing. You even stated yourself that it "deserves plenty of media attention because of all the lives that got lost", but why? Why does a higher death count increase the need for news outlets to descend upon the story, sensationalise it, and leave the privacy of the victims and those grieving compromised? I've experienced the premature death of a loved one and not once did it feel like a sensational experience that I felt everybody needed to know about; quite the opposite, in fact. Death is one of the very few certainties in life (if not the only one), every single person on this forum will die, so will everyone we know, just as the billions upon billions of people that have preceded us all did. I feel that it's something we should all just acknowledge already, and just accept that when it happens, particularly in a sudden incident such as this, it's better the leave those directly affected to grieve and stop turning the entire world's attention to it. 

Sorry if that seems overly fatalistic and gloomy. It's never my intention to be depressing with this sort of stuff; I just think that it would be a disservice to sugar-coat the reality of topics like this.

If there was one good, unsolicited piece of advice that I could give you, it's to not let the news affect your emotional well-being.

Negativity is a powerful emotion capable of altering your thoughts and feelings without you even realizing it. The news has been centered around reporting tragedies and drama for a long time. I think there's two reasons for this. One is that a lot of people don't want to read about good things that happen to others because it makes them jealous. The other is that tragedies naturally make for better news stories. Coming to this realization won't make the media change their business practices any time soon. I came to this realization as well a few years ago and discovered that all focusing on the media too much made me depressed and angry. I hated how the media focused on negativity but failed to realize how much I focused on the media focusing on negativity. I couldn't walk into a store without my eyes glancing across the newspaper, and then getting saddened at something bad that happened somewhere, and then hating myself for letting this negativity get into my life. I was getting nowhere fast and I wasn't happy.

Then one day I decided to try ignoring it for a week. Sure, it doesn't change the reality of what's being reported on but that doesn't mean that I need to know about it, right? And I have to say my mood improved for that one week but I had no idea what was going on around me and that's no good either. That's when I decided to pick a middle ground: I would stay aware of what happens around me but the minute I felt my mood going sour I would stop reading/thinking about it and do something else. After all, reading about people dying in a plane crash is sad but that doesn't mean I need a psychological breakdown of the perpetrator moments before death, you know?

I would try that and see if it helps.

If there was one good, unsolicited piece of advice that I could give you, it's to not let the news affect your emotional well-being.

Negativity is a powerful emotion capable of altering your thoughts and feelings without you even realizing it. The news has been centered around reporting tragedies and drama for a long time. I think there's two reasons for this. One is that a lot of people don't want to read about good things that happen to others because it makes them jealous. The other is that tragedies naturally make for better news stories. Coming to this realization won't make the media change their business practices any time soon. I came to this realization as well a few years ago and discovered that all focusing on the media too much made me depressed and angry. I hated how the media focused on negativity but failed to realize how much I focused on the media focusing on negativity. I couldn't walk into a store without my eyes glancing across the newspaper, and then getting saddened at something bad that happened somewhere, and then hating myself for letting this negativity get into my life. I was getting nowhere fast and I wasn't happy.

Then one day I decided to try ignoring it for a week. Sure, it doesn't change the reality of what's being reported on but that doesn't mean that I need to know about it, right? And I have to say my mood improved for that one week but I had no idea what was going on around me and that's no good either. That's when I decided to pick a middle ground: I would stay aware of what happens around me but the minute I felt my mood going sour I would stop reading/thinking about it and do something else. After all, reading about people dying in a plane crash is sad but that doesn't mean I need a psychological breakdown of the perpetrator moments before death, you know?

I would try that and see if it helps.

I don’t think I said anything to suggest that need ‘help’ or indeed even that I care about sensationalist morbid media stories in themselves; quite the opposite in fact, since my initial post was me stating that the plane crash story is essentially a non-event to anyone not directly involved - which I’m not. The thing that aggravates me is people’s morbid obsessions with stories like that, which is less a case of the media in itself and more fundamental human nature. The two are holistically linked, media influences social perception, social perception encourages and ‘validates’ the media, etc. I’m well aware the reasons behind it. Some of which you stated yourself.

I appreciate the sentiment of your post but it seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of what I was trying to get across; a sort of moot point considering that I already ignore the vast majority of “hey look somebody died let’s talk about it constantly” news stories. Once again, I have to repeat that my post wasn’t about me being depressed by the news, it was about me not understanding why other people care so much about such stories. 

Anyway, I think this has derailed the thread somewhat, sorry about that. I guess just PM me if you want to carry on?

it's a sobering thought that out of the millions of species living on this planet, we human beings are the only ones who can imagine our own death. someone (i think it might have been john banville?) once said that maybe everything in life is nothing more than a long preparation for leaving it. the massive irony is that the human civilization has always tended to over-prepare; we have, between science and religion, wasted so much time and resources obsessing over ways to circumvent the inevitable that so many of us, like kierkegaard's hero, don't realize we're alive till we wake up one day to find ourselves dead.