Sign in to follow this  
elvismania

DIR EN GREY new single "DIFFERENT SENSE" + new preview

Personally, I think that they should stick to their old styles (macabre-WtD)

MOAB never clinged on me

Uroboros was somehow good but MOAB-ish songs ruined it all

Even though, I think that they tried to combine Wtd/MOAB - sound with Macabre-era sounds or so

I am just gonna predict that their new album will be a fusion of new styles with kisou and vulgar

I love both old and new DEG. I love the Gauze sound as much as the next person, but I don't want them to turn around years of progressing their sound to making that music again. The nostalgia feeling would fade after a couple of seconds.

What I don't like is when they take songs from that period (Zan) and make them almost indistinguishable from most Marrow of a Bone tracks. They completly butchered that track for me and was by far their worst remake.

Some remakes have been really good though (undecided, Hydra-666-, Vulgar track they did).

I like where they are going now though... the two singles released have a nice amount of variety to them. So who knows what to expect with the album! And that's why I love this band. No idea what's next.

Answer: Because a band made a song some time ago, and then released it in what would be its original form. Then they pick it up again years later an to try to make it better, in stead they make it unlistenable, which would be the same as to "butcher" it. Simple as that.

Answer: Because a band made a song some time ago, and then released it in what would be its original form. Then they pick it up again years later an to try to make it better, in stead they make it unlistenable, which would be the same as to "butcher" it. Simple as that.

They took everything that was good about Rasetsukoku and removed it, threw Kyo's garbled harsh vocals over it and then made everything br00tal and heavy. That's how they "butchered" it. It is beyond me why Kyo thinks that anything that isn't a straight up ballad needs to be ROAR GROWR URRRGH. I don't think he feels like he can sing on harder tracks anymore and must be constantly hardcore.

It's annoying.

i agree, their remakes for 2 previous singles is just eeek scary.

if they did what they doing with Hydra 666, it would be excellent.

Not just adding RAWRGROWL to some of their classics templates,

but change the song entirely instead.

They took everything that was good about Rasetsukoku and removed it, threw Kyo's garbled harsh vocals over it and then made everything br00tal and heavy. That's how they "butchered" it. It is beyond me why Kyo thinks that anything that isn't a straight up ballad needs to be ROAR GROWR URRRGH. I don't think he feels like he can sing on harder tracks anymore and must be constantly hardcore.

It's annoying.

Spot on! And the funny part about that, for me at least, is that they have never made anything that's brutal or heavy. They seem to keep trying, but end up failing every single time.

In each case that the band has officially re-recorded older songs (Hydra 666, Zan, Undecided, Obscure and not including Shokubeni), each song was made technically better. The guitar work on the old Zan was horrendous, but now it's absolutely admirable. Hydra 666 has stronger composition, and more concrete parts which make it a more memorable track (IMO), and then Undecided is kind of clear how much BETTER it is than the original. Obscure is my least favorite because it's too much like the original, just softer and sped up. Re-recording any song from Vulgar and on is almost pointless -- as shown with OBSCURE and how similar it is.

The band has gotten better since they originally recorded these. The vocals, are better. The drum work, is better. The guitars, are better. Everything is an improvement of what they used to be, and updated. Which I feel like may be one of the main reasons why the band continues to re-record tracks -- because there are just soo many in their discog that fall short and need to be reworked into something better. Zan is the first that really came to mind and look what they did with it. It's better, heavier like how they wanted it to be (i assume), and not as ridiculous. It's very mainstream and contains a tremendous amount of appeal.

This is of course completely OUTSIDE of my personal preference. Do I ENJOY that growling and the grind-core esque progressions in the new Zan? Not really. I hate extreme metal like that. But Dir en grey makes it work by not making it unbearable. And recognizing this is what prevents me from saying they "butchered" these songs.

Re-recording any song from Vulgar and on is almost pointless -- as shown with OBSCURE and how similar it is.

This I agree with, but I do believe they only re-recorded OBSCURE because it's one of their "signature" songs, if you know what I mean.

As a Diru fan I'm already waiting for this. Hope it will be sth good. Lotus was rather ok for me but I just have positive feelings about this new single. :D

I'd say, LOTUS was way better than the re-recorded OBSCURE... yes, it was a bit sped-up a bit (which sounds horrible no ?)

So i'd say --> Hageshisa To > Zan ~re-recording~> LOTUS > OBSCURE ~Re-recording~

As for Zan... Fuck man, that shit was EPIC (Original wise and remake wise)... i ain't no fussy fanboy like some of the kids on here.. bashing DEG and shit like theres no tomorrow ¬_¬

Also, idk why people are like "zomfg hurrr, DEG makin a 3rd single before their next release album...... WTF!!!?? derp"

I bet some have talked shit and whine'd when they made the singles for Uroboros. srsly ? why not just wait and listen to their music for fucks sakes...

^ next time use the edit button for adding more stuffs on your post, bro.

double post only approved if posted at least 1 hour after your last post.

and on topic:

we knew this kind of discussions will occur every damn time some bands releasing new stuffs xD

Esp those who gone major. Just enjoyed it.

it's only a month away or so now, so time will quickly passed.

Hate to be a stickler..but are Dir en grey even considered "major"? Last time I checked Firewall div. was an "indie" division of Free-Will.

I could be wrong though.

I'm not so sure about the band, there have been rumors that dynamite tommy gets about 3/4 of their income, and the rest is split between band members.

their PR/PV production went down since their VK days too, and I'm not sure if it's band not seeing point in spending more, or their management cutting the budgets.

their PR/PV production went down since their VK days too, and I'm not sure if it's band not seeing point in spending more, or their management cutting the budgets.

Are you sure about that?

Seems to me like their PVs look more expensive than their earlier ones.

Try taking "Hageshisa" and compare it to "I'll".

and compare both to KR cube or obscure.

Their last good video was dead tree, everything later is pure garbage

not to mention that shooting hi-def video became way cheaper compared to 1997

(I don't even know if their recent video are shoot on film or straight digital cameras)

I feel their later videos LOOK more high-budget.

Despite them not using a bunch of props but the effects and CG "make" them look more pricey.

I don't know.

I really liked Hageshisa to's video >_>

Pulling out the old "Japanese Zombie Heroes" bit got me really excited for this new album, even though they hadn't put out an announcement then.

I doubt the announcement will come late summer as much as the release itself. The band has set up a tour around that time, and plan on doing full lengths in the US and Japan as well. It's a promotion tour, and a band would not tour the world to promote a single. We'll get an album in August the latest.

Sign in to follow this