Sign in to follow this  
elvismania

DIR EN GREY new single "DIFFERENT SENSE" + new preview

I feel like Dir en grey is one of the few Japanese bands that can successfully pull of sounding "metal" without it sounding completely fake (i.e. the GazettE)

You mean bands rooted in the visual-kei scene, right?

Yes. There are tons of non-vk rooted bands that have a phenomenal sound. I strictly meant VK, thanks for the correction.

Can't wait for this. :D

And the album couldn't be more than two-ish months after this single's release.

I feel like Dir en grey is one of the few Japanese bands that can successfully pull of sounding "metal" without it sounding completely fake (i.e. the GazettE)

Dir en grey isn't metal.

Korn isn't metal.

Slipknot isn't metal.

Marilyn Manson isn't metal.

This is the common mentality of metalheads. Those are, as "real metalheads" say; "gay bands for teenagers". I used to hang around in a looooot of metalforums, and those bands were no no. Sure it's ok to like them, but call them metal and shitstorm is ready.

But I do agree. Most VK bands who try to be metal just fail miserably. Dir en grey atleast has a clue what's going on.

PS Gazette has said they're not a metal band and never will be.

This is the common mentality of metalheads. Those are, as "real metalheads" say; "gay bands for teenagers". I used to hang around in a looooot of metalforums, and those bands were no no. Sure it's ok to like them, but call them metal and shitstorm is ready.

But I do agree. Most VK bands who try to be metal just fail miserably. Dir en grey atleast has a clue what's going on.

omg not from forums. i used to know personally people that listen to metal. that's how they think.

i don't know about dir en grey but generally it's because they are 3 or 4 bands that are so famous and "in fashion"

that everyone knows them , even people that don't have a clue about metal.

and think because they know ONLY these bands they know everything about metal when they don't know shit.

if you like metal you should be able to know they are so much better METAL bands. ---> that's the common mentality

but metalheads are fucking closed minded even more than people who listen to pop sometimes

If not "metal", what to call them?

poser-rock for example

Progressive hard rock

ps. I read nekkichi's comment like "post-rock" for some reason...oh well DEG ain't post-everything at all

Dir en grey isn't metal.

Korn isn't metal.

Slipknot isn't metal.

Marilyn Manson isn't metal.

Oh god, you're one of "those" people. I'm shocked.

so anyway...I'm always curious to see what Dir en Grey are going to do. Though they aren't my favorite anymore, they are one of the bands I always seem to stay up on as far as releases.

I say we stop this discussion about the 'metal' genre before we have plenty of pages about what is metal and what isn't :/

@bakteeri: ad populum -- just because people tend to say one thing, doesn't mean it's any form of truth. METALHEADS!!! don't like them because 1. they don't fit the general mold of what metal is (thus why they are billed as an "alternative-metal" band and 2. Their sound is just too weird and non-traditional to be embraced by your very basic metal community that thrives off of anything that features big men with beards. Metal fans are mostly one-dimensional, so anything that's different is going to be readily rejected by them.

And besides, most METAL fans only introduction to Dir en grey is Yokan, Saku, and the Final. So i can see why most would call them poser metal -- because Dir en grey was once a POSER metal band.

I really don't understand all the discussions about the genres in the rock/metal area.

There are so many small labels thrown around everywhere, it's utterly ridiculous. Nu-metal, metalcore, death metal, deathcore, heavy metal, black metal, hard rock, what the hell guys. If it rocks, it rocks. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Nobody really gives a damn what corner you throw a band in.

I would like the new DIR EN GREY single to sound good to me, that's it.

most bands that can be easily defined by a genre often aren't too great or if they do sound good get boring pretty quickly. Just sayin. Im glad Deg isnt really metal, but is really just a rock band.

defining them as "alternative metal" i'd say is broad enough to give their music justice. It's a very good title.

they're punk-pop.

Dayumn, anticipating so many release for May/June. Hopefully they'll all exceed my expectations, this included. Hageshisa part 2 plz.

Sign in to follow this