Spike760

Dir en grey

I didn't count still that was released at the same time (the unplugged CDs) or just single vs album versions. Almost all of these have been released as B-sides to singles. I always thought there was a reason to that, they realized that remaking songs really wasn't something big. They weren't making anything new, it was just them throwing the fans a bone, giving them a reason to buy the single. Notice that all of the other b-sides since 2003 (and a lot before that too) have only ever included live songs with the occasional remix. Imo, these have always been marketing gimmicks to get you to buy the single. To do a full mini-album of these is kind of a cop-out, even if it is good. 

Byo [ ] Shin

Hydra -666-

Agitated Screams of Maggots -unplugged-

Undecided

Zan

tsumei to kisei

Obscure

Kiri to Mayu

Wasn't Ash re-recorded for the Myaku single as well?

The complete list:

霧と繭 (kiri to mayu)*

Ash

Children
秒[]深 (Byo [] Shin)

Hydra -666-

Undecided

残 (zan)

罪と規制 / 蜜と唾 (mitsu to tsuba / tsumi to kisei)
Obscure
羅刹国 (Rasetsukoku)

霧と繭 (kiri to mayu)

My Notes:
* Technically, 霧と繭was released first on Missa. However, 惨劇の夜 was the original song that Dir en grey wanted to use but could not because the label thought the song too graphic for the EP. This was always the song they played when they performed it live in lieu of 霧と霧. Therefore, 霧と繭is the remake.

**** 罪と規制 was the censored version of 蜜と唾, which was a standalone single. Decided to include it anyway.

^ There was also Rasetsukoku as a bonus on some versions of DSS! But other than that I think it's a pretty complete list.

Whoops, missed that one. I will added it to the list :D

Children was also re-recorded on Six Ugly.

I didn't know how to deal with this one because Children was never on an album. I think I should include it though, so I will add it.

And "Shokubeni (Shot In One Take)" was a remake version as well (2009, "Hageshisa to..." single).

That's just a studio live version, so I still file this one under a live song.

-EDIT- Dammit, no need to edit, Zess beat me to it lol.

The complete list:

霧と繭 (kiri to mayu)*

Ash

Embryo**

Children

秒[]深 (Byo [] Shin)

Hydra -666-

Dozing Green***

Agitated Screams of Maggots -unplugged-

Undecided

残 (zan)

蝕紅

罪と規制 (tsumei to kisei)

蜜と唾 (mitsu to tsuba)****

Obscure

羅刹国 (Rasetsukoku)

霧と繭 (kiri to mayu)

My Notes:

* Technically, 霧と繭was released first on Missa. However, 惨劇の夜 was the original song that Dir en grey wanted to use but could not because the label thought the song too graphic for the EP. This was always the song they played when they performed it live in lieu of 霧と霧. Therefore, 霧と繭is the remake.

** In that same vein, Embryo is also a remake due to the existence of alternate lyrics, even though the song titles are the same. If I can include 惨劇の夜, I must include this.

*** More controversial but it makes for good discussion. Dozing Green had some sort of weird, alternate version on the deluxe edition of Uroboros. Not quite a re-recording but not quite a remix either. It's also not unplugged, which is why the rest of them aren't here. If we consider it to be a demo and thus for it not to fit on the list, we then have to decide whether to include the whole second disc of Dum Spiro Spero and a few other songs or to axe this. Discuss.

**** 罪と規制 was the censored version of 蜜と唾, which was a standalone single. Decided to include it anyway.

Embryo is just the different between the single and album version. While it is different, I wouldn't consider it in the list. I would also not consider demo version. Demo is short for demonstration, to me it is nothing more than a preview or a sample of what is to come. It's more like a rough draft than anything else. I also wouldn't include anything that  is released at the same exact time as the "original." A change of lyrics isn't enough for me to think of songs as different version either, unless there is a major change of the sound of the song, to me, these aren't remakes, they are just different versions (take Dozing Green and Glass skin in English/Japanese for example).

They've performed live only remakes (only counting songs that significantly deviate from the original musically) of Cage, audrey and 業 from what I remember right now, there might be more and in that case I'll add that.

It looks like everyone forgot about the Undecided remake. They still can do your "decents" remakes, guys. It's not just screams and ruining old songs. Thay have evolved really a lot until now, they know what songs they can use screams. They're still clever about this.

It looks like everyone forgot about the Undecided remake. They still can do your "decents" remakes, guys. It's not just screams and ruining old songs. Thay have evolved really a lot until now, they know what songs they can use screams. They're still clever about this.

Yeah. Also the only time they did completely change the song was in Tsumi to Batsu. Kiri to Mayu for example is a lot more similar to the original than most people say.

Embryo is just the different between the single and album version. While it is different, I wouldn't consider it in the list. I would also not consider demo version. Demo is short for demonstration, to me it is nothing more than a preview or a sample of what is to come. It's more like a rough draft than anything else. I also wouldn't include anything that  is released at the same exact time as the "original." A change of lyrics isn't enough for me to think of songs as different version either, unless there is a major change of the sound of the song, to me, these aren't remakes, they are just different versions (take Dozing Green and Glass skin in English/Japanese for example).

Then how I have it edited now should be the final list.

They've performed live only remakes (only counting songs that significantly deviate from the original musically) of Cage, audrey and 業 from what I remember right now, there might be more and in that case I'll add that.

there was also a 'faster' version of Akuro No Oka.

a snippet of it can be clearly heard on one of the earlier DVDs, TOUR00>>01 MACABRE if I'm not mistaken.

Guest MaddAdam

Does a sped up tempo constitute a remake?

while I do understand your being sarcastic, I really believe you could've checked out for yourself first.

it's obviously not about just speeding up the tempo.

PS: post No. 666. whoa.

I didn't notice it until someone else said it, but this has to be one of the worst photoshop jobs I've ever seen. It's clear they were all photographed seperately and then put together into this picture, especially since none of them have shadows and Kaoru and Toshiya's legs look two-dimensional.

lol, also look at the size of die #godzilla

and judging by the brightness of toshias knee he seems to be glowing from inside (radiation problems maybe?)

shooting them seperately and merging together afterwards is pretty common and not a problem at all, but this is just astonishingly bad executed

It amazes me as to how awesome some of Dir en Grey's art/photos can be on some of their stuff and how just plain bad it can be on others. The shots aren't so bad if you just had them individually, but it makes for a pretty bad composite. I do hate how they crushed the black to lose all of the details int he shadows and the lifted the black point. At least this isn't as bad as that one yellow promo shot they put out not too long ago.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/bcce4d4f23784d81d6c14595e9b5263e/tumblr_mjn871NZ3l1rsjquco2_1280.jpg

Rofl, he seriously looks like a clown in this shot with his torso leg proportions. 

I dunno. I don't think it's that bad of a Photoshop job. In all honesty, I really like it. Great look.

i like the look very much,i'm also looking foreword the hearing the new mini album more in the way of the remakes more then the new song but all in all i wanna  hear the whole thing and the day i get it i'll loop the shit out of it