Spike760

Dir en grey

The main difference here is that D'espairsRay had other underlying problems with management which curbed their disbandment. I don't see that being a problem here, especially as to how frequent such an illness is for those who professionally strain their vocal cords. (auctioneers, vocalists, etc.)

Diru will survive !!! and come back as the god of metal and awesomeness again....

They are totally awesome !!!

I feel every cord of their music....

GANBATTE !!!

from their facebook

DIR EN GREY will release their Documentary DVD & Blu-ray back to back in 2 consecutive months!

Documentary DVD & Blu-ray

『TOUR2011 AGE QUOD AGIS Vol.1 [Europe & Japan]』 OUT 2012.6.20!

『TOUR2011 AGE QUOD AGIS Vol.2 [u.S. & Japan]』 OUT 2012.7.18!

More information will follow shortly. Look out for it!

[staff]

^ Pretty slim, since it's the 2011 TOUR DVD. Maybe they'll show a bit of flashbacks, but that'll be it, I'm afraid.

Out of nowhere but: Kyo doesn't need to "learn" proper singing techniques.

He has to be more consistant though... :idea:

At a concert he can sound terrible in one song but then in the next song he nails it.

The consistency issue happened several years ago. Now the only problem with Kyo's performances that I've seen personally, is the long winded sentences he loves to use which he can't always handle well.

And when it comes to the performances, anyone who's read a Kyo interview would understand.

I guess I'll just carry on the new DVD thread's offtop -

Wow, I heard MOO sold bad, but worse than TMOAB? It's fun to see my favourite albums of theirs ranked in the top 4. What I don't get is that it SEEMS they're getting more popular with their new audience (with the harder sound) so I thought that they were only getting more fans, but it seems I wasn't the only one reluctant to buy a copy because I don't like their current direction.

they basically get more exposure in the West, but Japan gives less and less fucks about their new releases when those releases suck.

I mean come on, you can get all their disco in FLAC from the largest Russian torrent tracker with a tiiiiiny SEA-rock section, THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL MAINSTREAM SUCCESS BITCHES.

my fav. albums of their are kisou and vulgar, plus WTD is quite awesome too - and all of those are in top-5;

and it's pretty indicative that while TMOAB sold less than prev. album, uroboros sales crawled back.

poor MOO reception is imo well deserved, and I hope they will do their math and understand that another shitty album would means 4 years of non-stop touring Chile, Poland and Slovenia in attempt to grab last bits of cash from those parts of fanbase who leech their CDs but will consider paying for gig tickets.

Gauze sold out well due to Yoshiki factor but other sale number positions actually make sense - as with Sai, my favorite releases are on the top (which makes me happy, to be honest)

same.

I really hope they would be back to making creative stuff like they did some ten years ago and will at least dress nicely again,— or disband for good.

I find the Oricon position thing funny, specially because the album didnt sell as much as the other Dir en grey albums, but it did get a higher position than many other Dir en grey albums. lol

I think it's safe to assume that MOO ranked 4th in oricon because not many major artists release stuff in August, it's usually Autumn when they're out hunting for money.

= it got there due to lack of major competition, not awesome launch sales.

I really hope they would be back to making creative stuff like they did some ten years ago and will at least dress nicely again,— or disband for good.

I think they've hit the point where they don't know how to "get heavier" following their current -core sound (deathcore, metalcore, whatever it is I just know it's pretty x-core). At least, I can't envision them getting much heavier. The "heaviest" they've ever gotten was Tsumi to Kisei, and I can't imagine them doing an entire album at that pace. I also believe they are keenly aware of how their latest was received. It will be interesting to see if they react now the same way they did back when six Ugly was first released and the fans screamed bloody murder. If they do, we're going to get a lot of ballads and slower songs for the next few releases, if there are any.

I'm probably of the opinion that Dir en grey are better at ballads than they are heavy music and that if Kyo can't growl anymore if a complication arises from his current throat condition, they can make an entire album of Mushi/Higeki type songs and probably would end up the better for it.

Myaku is cool. Is all of Macabre like that?

Also, I tried Gauze and was honestly let down. Even with all of the kote-kei douchebaggery, that album was kind of boring to me. Thus far, my opinion of Dir en gway is as follows:

Jealous ~ Cage (except Akuro no Oka) > Missa > Gauze > Everything else

I must be one of the only "fans" liking every single album then, right?

I've seen them live 4 times now, and I must say that the Dozing Green tour in Paris in 2007 was still the best one. London 2010 as well.

I knew them when they released Vulgar. Got to know them better through Withering and got totally into them through Marrow. I love Gauze and Macabre as well, and I don't think Uroboros or Dum Spiro Spero are bad. They're all different, and that's what I like about them. Different, but still Dir en grey (to me at least).

I personally don't think they're actually able to get any heavier, but instead I can see them experiment with different music styles again. Throwing in a variety of things. (Though I assume I'm also one of the single people that prefers the Symphonic ver. of Amon above the other one :s)

To be honest, I don't get the hate. Bands change, and they change because they want to. To expect Dir en grey to go back to VK or "dress nicely" again. Not going to happen. They're not VK anymore, and I'm pretty glad they're not. What's so bad about jeans and shirts anyway?

/ends own opinion

I also believe they are keenly aware of how their latest was received. It will be interesting to see if they react now the same way they did back when six Ugly was first released and the fans screamed bloody murder. If they do, we're going to get a lot of ballads and slower songs for the next few releases, if there are any.

Idk to me it seemed that DSS was received well aside from us weeaboos.

As for their future, I see them going down further the noveltycore-lane and continuing the experimenting they did with DSS. Massive genre hopping most likely won't happen, and I don't think that they even want to make anything like an acoustic/ballad/mellow/what have you album.

You put an emphasis on dwindling Japanese sales vs. throughout the world for Dir en grey, and that seems to be some basis for the assumption "Oh they must be bad now". Wrong. I said this before, Dir en grey's initial fanbase is largely that of VK fans. So what is a VK fan going to do when Dir en grey basically says "fuck you" to that joke of a scene? Get mad, obv.

You then go on to assert that Dum Spiro Spero is a poorly received album and that it was some sort of mistake. To you? I can see that when you want to hear 304 goushitsu and S at every live they do probz. Now what about that reception?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dir+en+grey+dum+spiro+spero+review

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dum_Spiro_ ... 28album%29

One reviewer even compared them to Black Sabbath, another going as far as to saying that Kyo is the most diverse vocalist in metal. And metal's "Best kept secret"

Oh so it was received poorly? No. You're just mad they make good music.

I'm probably of the opinion that Dir en grey are better at ballads than they are heavy music and that if Kyo can't growl anymore if a complication arises from his current throat condition, they can make an entire album of Mushi/Higeki type songs and probably would end up the better for it.

I don't like most of their recent ballads at all, to be honest - they've nailed it with mushi/itoshisa and any inconvenient flopdeals haven't came close to.

I also don't think that anyone will care about a ballad LP unless it's a Kyo poem book type of release, OR, we're talking about ohaitswilliam's.

I don't like his recent operatic woah-wahhs. I don't like to the point where I prefer good Kyo clones (unsraw, schmelz cure) to Kyo himself.

I don't like his growls. I don't like how bland all their recent music is, coming from the same producer who made kr cube and the whole bunch of vulgar singles.

2. Dir en grey, like many Japanese bands that reach a wider international audience, received a decrease in sales overtime. Shocking? No they ditched a fad and short term sales.

as well as over 100k sales in general. Pierrot did that too, pierrot where?

another beautiful example is Miyavi, with his cutte attempts to be a pale Japanese lil wayne copy - his latest single sold 3,000, and that on a major label.

4. Local sales (Japan) have dropped, international sales have surged (especially with increased focus and exposure of the band)

now this is the part where it opens ENDLESS possibilities for dirustans to make up shit. do you have their actual sales numbers? just the fact they've been released through Dead Ass records and moved to Fuckcorewho Productions, instead of being published through american sony branch, speaks largely of their "success".

5000 downloads in Texas don't make an album successful, they largely earn from touring.

and by the way bb, you'd be surprised that dir en grey have 30 y.o. fans, that they have 40 y.o. fans as well - and those got into the band some 10+ years ago. their tastes haven't changed to fit the shitty new direction. it's not just teenagers and nolife metalheads.

you may be obsessed with every new fart out of Kyo's throat, but if it doesn't work for old fanbase, no amount of br00tal t33nag3rs will save the drowning ship (unless, as I said, they do 4 years of 3rd world touring after any other new album)

To expect Dir en grey to go back to VK or "dress nicely" again. Not going to happen.

dress nicely - see how Toshiya, Shinya and to some extent, Die are dressed. While Toshiya is probably the only dude in the party who has a permanent GF, thus not going completely batshit with his looks, shitty track suits and shaved head don't make it for lots of people, not just me.

for "what's bad about shirts/sweaty socks/tracksuits" I guess if you don't see it, no amount of flawless looking Japanese hipsters and HK fashion kids will open your eyes.

upd: so MOO sold less than 4 k for ALL the US according to wikipedia? for a country with population over 2x larger than Japan's?

now that's success, I agree, they can finally afford a subway sammich release party, and maybe a bottle of hennessy for Dynamite Tommy.

"tastes haven't changed to fit the shitty new direction. it's not just teenagers and nolife metalheads."

you don't understand their music yet you consider yourself a fan of their previous work. ha

also: that's not 3,900 total sales in just the US alone, it's from the first week of sales. lol

you don't understand their music yet you consider yourself a fan of their previous work. ha

have you considered switching your meds at this point?

also: that's not 3,900 total sales in just the US alone, it's from the first week of sales. lol

soooo give me total sales?

their subway celebration had an afterparty in mccafe drivethrough?