Spike760

Dir en grey

Is there a Discography page for these guys in the download section? Looked through the whole thing and couldn't find it.

17 hours ago, Saishu said:

It needs to be a proper orchestra though. I think some of the more elaborate ones were all synths. 

Totally agree. It's a cool idea that wasn't executed in the best way. Almost all the 'symphonic' tracks sound pretty cheesy as a result and it's a shame, because it could have been amazing.

On July 27, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Puriwate said:

It ended up being a new section to the first verse and was actually pretty cool made the song less repetitive as a whole

It's a few things. The feedback break after the intro is longer, the first verse is longer, and the section after the first chorus is longer. 

As a whole, this single is disappointing. I was hoping Kuukoku wasn't going to be just Sugizo playing over the album track, but oh well. Also, Revelation remix is absolute garbage. Go back to reimagining older tracks please, because I didn't miss the era of singles coming with DEG dookie remixes. 

Remixes are almost always objectively shit tbh

Rinkaku mix was better than rinkaku itself for my taste

+ i like the kk vomit mix of KR cube ^^"

but yes revelation is nothing i'll put on my playlist

Oh yeah, the Unraveling and Rinkaku remixes were actually so good i forgot to count them as remixes lmao, all those other ones are generally pretty weak though...

4 hours ago, Saishu said:

It's a few things. The feedback break after the intro is longer, the first verse is longer, and the section after the first chorus is longer. 

As a whole, this single is disappointing. I was hoping Kuukoku wasn't going to be just Sugizo playing over the album track, but oh well. Also, Revelation remix is absolute garbage. Go back to reimagining older tracks please, because I didn't miss the era of singles coming with DEG dookie remixes. 

THIS

So after listening to the itunes promo for good portion of my shift, here's my initial thoughts on UTAFUMI:

This song is a banger and by banger i mean that Its pretty head-bang inducing. The "gang vocals" part gives it that extra rawness, something i feel that's been missing in  Dir en grey's music for awhile now . The added backing guitar during the chorus and other parts of the song does a great job at adding some "pizzazz" so the song isn't just simple ass guitar parts (which it is). With all of that said, if you separate the fact that this was composed by Dir en grey and has some stellar mixing and mastering, its clear to see that this track could've been done by any shit tier indies VK band. That's now dated this track comes off as.  I was very wrong to call this an ARCHE left over in the beginning. ARCHE, despite my gripes with it had some elements of growth. UTAFUMI is multiple steps below that. There is no growth here. Only severe regression. I even have a hard time trying to figure out where these supposed VULGAR vibes come from. IDT you can even put UTAFUMI in a vulgar playlist and tell me that it would mesh together perfectly. Same goes for any other era that ppl may try to categorize this with...

Once again, this is a banger but its nothing special. At all.

Edited by The MAD Stallion

20 minutes ago, The MAD Stallion said:

So after listening to the itunes promo for good portion of my shift, here's my initial thoughts on UTAFUMI:

This song is a banger and by banger i mean that Its pretty head-bang inducing. The "gang vocals" part gives it that extra rawness, something i feel that's been missing in  Dir en grey's music for awhile now . The added backing guitar during the chorus and other parts of the song does a great job at adding some "pizzazz" so the song isn't just simple ass guitar parts (which it is). With all of that said, if you separate the fact that this was composed by Dir en grey and has some stellar mixing and mastering, its clear to see that this track could've been done by any shit tier indies VK band. That's now dated this track comes off as.  I was very wrong to call this an ARCHE left over in the beginning. ARCHE, despite my gripes with it had some elements of growth. UTAFUMI is multiple steps below that. There is no growth here. Only severe regression. I even have a hard time trying to figure out where these supposed VULGAR vibes come from. IDT you can even put UTAFUMI in a vulgar playlist and tell me that it would mesh together perfectly. Same goes for any other era that ppl may try to categorize this with...

Once again, this is a banger but its nothing special. At all.

Of course this is only one single. But I really hope this is a left over and not a step in a new direction. I don't want to be dramatic, but could Dir en grey finally be crumbling under their own brilliance?

It seems that whenever dir en grey releases a new single it always captivates me. This does not unfortunately. Like you said i think it's a good song but for Dir en Grey standards does it really stack up?

Edited by Hakari

one likes it others don't

i like the speed and the fast riffs. I also don't need perfect perfection as it may sound in arche or DSS.

in total both of those cds are calm compared to utafumi. and also live they just have parts where you really can bang and shit.

and what is a standart? we make up the standarts i think.  for DeG it might be a standart with 'okay this time different more brutal and not so professional'
kyo said in a sukekiyo interview, that he liked wotking on the first cd a lot because everything wasn't super professional and they got stuck in some parts and also threw stuff to hell because it did not work out as planned.

so why not adapt that 'unprofessional' style to Dir en grey too and make something new.

But as always new deg stuff and peopla find something to complain about. same was with arche...same was with DSS same with Uroboros.

Did you find Sustain the Untruth captivating? I thought it was pretty underwhelming as a single too, though it's a very catchy song. Utafumi similarly seems to be one of those songs that really makes sense live, but falls flat in the studio. 

I mean Utafumi is fine. It's the music equivalent of a big, dumb, summer blockbuster movie; all flash, little substance. I like the production for the most part, as that slightly annoying reverb effect on Unraveling and Arche seems to be gone. I don't hear any Vulgar influence at all. If anything this is some weird combination of Withering and Marrow, DEG's weakest era of you ask me. 

And back to Kuukoku, this really disappoints me. I think this was best as a live thing where the main draw was "holy shit Sugizo is up there doing his violin thing!" As a studio track though? Nah. Even more problematic is that Sugizo is pushed way up front in the mix, so he overpowers everything else. It makes it sound like exactly what it is: Sugizo playing violin along with an almost two year old track. 

I understand what you're saying. I'm happy that the reverb is gone too, and I really hope it never comes back. I think the Vulgar comparisons mostly come from the costumes and the variety of wacky Kyo vocals. That's the only similarity I've noticed. 

Those B-sides are so disappointing. 

Kukoku actually sounds boring to me without the violin added... Sad to see no one else enjoyed it

The live i hated tho lol

Edited by Puriwate

On July 30, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Saishu said:

I mean Utafumi is fine. It's the music equivalent of a big, dumb, summer blockbuster movie; all flash, little substance.

it's literally a different sense p. II - an upbeat, screaming-driven summer single.

unpopular opinion: revelation remix is actually pretty cool, it sounds like a piece off that 2nd forbidden days rhapsody album that never got released, but based on a Dir en grey track.

violined up kuukoku is shit, but I like the slightly recomposed instrumental parts.

longer utafumi sounds weird to me .

that bland part around 0:20-0:25 got cut (for better) in PV edit, and there's at least one more awkward bit around 1.20 or so, where the guitar wank over shinya's basic ass drum beat just does nothing in absense of kyo's guttural chugging on top.

i loved it all .

although i agree on utafumi being a little 'weak' despite the expectations,

but i loved it . i even loved the remixed b-side. 

id rather have all this than to have me listening to some random pink hair, purple make up indies . i cant stand.

but all for the relevance, it's still dir en grey. that's all it counts.

i want it more

Has anyone received their LE copy yet? Just wondering if the live show is decent. I assume that the overall presentation is similar to the last few singles.

Waiting to get my copy before I listen to anything. Looking forward to the remix especially. As a fan of the artistic, experimental remix scene, it's pretty awesome that DEG continues to fuel that and doesn't usually succumb to slapping on a generic dance beat and calling it a day.

Remix haters make me wonder whether they have listened to Ain't Afraid to Die remixes or at least Kisou-era remixes...and maybe even Jessica's bossa remix has been forgotten? Hyperbolic hate right there.

This single on the other hand, is a mess. The song is literally DS done in a radio-friendly, compact package while Kuukoku remix serves no other purpose than distracting the listener from its only attraction i.e. droning guitars by Kaoru avec warm synth pads. The remix? The approach itself is in fact fresh in the midst of usually dark and gloomy Dir en mix production but the song choice? A real shame that the most talented figure of 12012 missed a damn good chance on utilizing new genreistic aspects and used lousy Saku v2 as the basis for his creations...sheesh.

Wonder if both lyrics (references!) and the release tempo (during/after Arche touring) signify some sort of WtD-y release in the near future - as in having tons of "sore thumbs"/standoffs in a completely different theme.