Spike760

Dir en grey

2 hours ago, Puriwate said:

Not at all

Except for the music videos content

It is

The build and the emphasis of "soaring choruses in the midst of fast scream-o-banger"-concept are almost identical between these songs. This was an intentional move to Vulgar/WtD-era ideas y'know? It's no surprising that one could even think of "Spilled Milk" while listening to "Magayasou" for instance or "Kodou" during "Tousei". Dominant throwbacking is cute but when it is in fact the basis of your songwriting these days...then you may need to rethink your career at this point. Did Arche introduce any kind of "new sound"?

Does anyone expect any new sounds from a band that's been cranking along for 20 years? I think the important thing is that DEG is back to embracing their early material instead of trying in vain to disassociate themselves from it like they did for a few years. 

To be fair, soaring choruses in fast screamy thrashers goes back even before WtD. Berry, for example. 

pls Dir en grey, make an entire album like Phenomenon.....

2 hours ago, Carmelzors said:

It is

Ey bro, you have some kind of confirmation from the band like an interview or something that states this? That "it is" makes it seem like you are 100 percent right and certain that this is the case. Maybe you have the deep deep insider news from the studio during the ARCHE recording sessions that we dunno about.  In that case: 

We'll wait for it. 

636025930148486929275806388_waiting.jpg

I'm on the same page as the previous posts. Revelation is NOT Saku V2. Sure they may have these supposed similarities but both are completely different songs.  Arguably, when you use more or less of the same video content from one PV on another, Yes....it can be understandable how the earlier song can come to mind when you wanna play the comparison game.   Dir is solely to blame for that.  Id even PUSH this even more and say would not even be having this conversation if the revelation PV  didn't have the content it did. 

Edited by The MAD Stallion

Received Utafumi today.
It's awesome, if a bit short.
Sugizo collab is awesome and I prefer it over original.
RoM remix is, suprisingly, a good standalone track! Maybe this kind of remixes are my favourite, but I didn't expect that I'll like it. But I did.
Overall I'm very satisfied with this single and also that I've preordered it.

13 hours ago, Saishu said:

Does anyone expect any new sounds from a band that's been cranking along for 20 years? I think the important thing is that DEG is back to embracing their early material instead of trying in vain to disassociate themselves from it like they did for a few years. 

To be fair, soaring choruses in fast screamy thrashers goes back even before WtD. Berry, for example. 

Berry had a "soaring chorus"? I don't think we are on the same page on "soaring" really (not to mention Berry had the same BPM throughout the song minus that Oriental part). And yes, it's okay to expect a band like this showcasing at least some kind of potential in exploring new ideas and directions - or is DEG basically 'pandering' group now? Your statement assumes that this SHOULD BE the case - who said about disassociation when they can churn out new concepts with their current visual gimmicks?

Technically speaking, even BPM of both songs changes in the similar fashion, not to mention both songs having climaxed, prolonged choruses before eventually ending with a bang (only a few Dir songs share this trait) - and it also makes more sense to end this "homicidal teen-now-adult" trilogy by throwbacking and simultaneously reflecting on his "evolution" - both visually AND audibly (of course assuming that these PV stories can be somewhat envisioned in Kyo's lyrics)

"Not at all" is not an argument. Does it really hurt to counter my statements? What a shame.

I am not even going to get on borderline saltiness posted after your comment though

Edited by Alroy

Seems like you quoted me and then lumped in your responses to other forum members. Maybe fix that. 

If we're getting into semantics, fine, Berry's chorus isn't "soaring", but it is melodic and is a direct contrast to the rest of the song, much like Saku and Revelation. And that's kind of my point: growly, heavy/thrashy verses and soaring/melodic choruses has been a DEG staple for practically their entire career. It's a common practice in heavy music in general, so I'm not sure why it needs to be pointed out here. 

I get that Arche is supposed to be the "back to roots" album, but I'm not sure why that's an issue, as I've seen you post several times about how it's just rehashing old ideas. I thought it was the next natural step coming off of DSS and Unraveling. I guess they could have gone... heavier and built off DSS? Djent maybe? I don't know. All I know is Utafumi has me wondering again, because I wasn't excepting another 3 minute noise a la WtD/Marrow from these guys. 

7 hours ago, EvilHippy said:

Received Utafumi today.
It's awesome, if a bit short.
Sugizo collab is awesome and I prefer it over original.
RoM remix is, suprisingly, a good standalone track! Maybe this kind of remixes are my favourite, but I didn't expect that I'll like it. But I did.
Overall I'm very satisfied with this single and also that I've preordered it.

Thank god, i thought i was alone in this XD

13 minutes ago, Saishu said:

because I wasn't excepting another 3 minute noise a la WtD/Marrow from these guys. 

Turn on your location.

How dare you disrespect the GOAT 2 Era's bro?

For me, even though I think all of their albums are at least good, Macabre is hands down their weakest album. There are some good tracks like Macabre, 理由, 羅刹国, and 蛍火. However there are a lot of really bizarrely written /borderline bad ones like Egnirys Cimredopyh, Berry, and 脈. Or just plain boring songs like Audrey. Their following album, 鬼葬, has the same problem to a slightly lesser extent (although at least Macabre doesn't have anything quite as awful as "FOOCHA FOOCHA JAPINSEEZ FOOCHA") I liked the straightforward VK style on Gauze, and I love the more metal sound from Vulgar onward. But those in between albums (Macabre and  鬼葬) sound like the awkward growing pains of a band wanting to expand out of relatively standard j-rock territory without having decided on an actual new direction yet.

I was listening to some recent radio interviews with Kyo and he was saying some interesting things about their past work. My Japanese is far from perfect so there are some parts that I couldn't make out (the radio DJ was the over the top hung-go fast-talking Japanese host type and Kyo was all shy and mumbly/stuttery sounding so it was kinda frustrating to listen to lol) but Kyo said he has a ton of complaints about Gauze. He also said that his favorite album they've made to date is Dum Spiro Spero, but that despite it being his favorite it is possibly their least popular album (idk if I agree with that but I know some long-time fans of their more stereotypically VK era don't like their metal stuff). Dum Spiro Spero is also my favorite (tied with UROBOROS) and his comments seem to back up my theory of why ARCHE felt so disappointing. It's a great album to be fair, but it was obvious pandering rather than a natural progression of their own taste. 詩踏み is a good sign to me because Kyo doesn't sound like he's trying to force himself to restrain his vocal range and sing in a way that panders to his old VK fans. Now we just need to get rid of the dumbed down instrumentals. It's a good song held back by Kaoru and Die suddenly being seemingly unable to play more than 1 string and 4 notes on their guitars.

Edited by Kelrya

I agree with all of this except utafumis vocals sound way more vk to me than metal personally... More (punk style?) yelling than death growls and shrieking, which was basically dss in a nutshell iirc. It sounds way easier on his voice either way thank god. But yeah i just hear obscure, marmalade, new age type yelling than the dss type screams and growls but thats just my experience 

Withering and Marrow are the awkward sounding albums to me. They sound like a band trying to be heavy, but they aren't sure how to do it. There's so much weird shit on Withering. 

I don't mind remixes as along as they aren't wannabe wub wub wub tracks.

Hard for me to bash on Withering and Marrow since that was about the time I got into Dir en grey so they are pretty special albums to me. I feel like withering specifically has some amazing songs on it.

And I disagree with what was said earlier, Macabre is a fantastic album, Berry is such a dope song.

Yeah, Macabre is one of my favorites. It's what got me into DEG because it's so experimental and progressive. Not too fond of Audrey or Hydra, but they don't bring the album down at all. 

Withering and Marrow have plenty of great songs, but listening to them front to back is a chore. Which is odd considering they are two of DEG's shortest albums. 

On the subject of 'bad' songs, there's typically only one per EP/LP that just never clicks with me for some particular reason. Of course, I'd prefer any of these to the crap that's played on the radio.

Missa: Garden. Too formulaic and too long.

GAUZEMASK. Always thought it was forgettable filler.

MACABRE: Audrey. Seems out of place on an otherwise stellar album.

Kisou: Love the whole thing. However, the re-recorded Bottom of the Death Valley is way better than the original (imo).

six Ugly: Love the whole thing.

VULGAR: Love the whole thing.

Withering to death.: Jesus Christ R'n R is just too silly. Kinda fun, but I really have to be in the right mood.

MARROW: Love the whole thing.

UROBOROS: Love the whole thing. Although, I dislike the English versions on the regular release and HYDRA 666 is out of place on the reissue.

DSS: Akatsuki. The demo version is awesome, though, and it's okay live. Something just feels off in the studio mix.

ARCHEKaishun. The main riff is recycled from DIABOLOS, which pisses me off, and the chorus doesn't grab me like it should. I love Cause of fickleness and The inferno. Come at me, haters.

What part of Diabolos is recycled in Kaishun? I've never noticed. 

Also, I'll play along:

MISSA:  S, Erode, Byou Shin – all forgettable and boring. 

GAUZE:  Mask – best part is the jam at the end. The rest is a mess. 

MACABRE:  Hydra and Audrey – Hydra is fine as a live song, boring and repetitive on album. Audrey is the same, except probably not even better live. 

KISOU:  Domestic Fucker Family, Pink Killer – some of the worst song writing from DEG. Best part of Pink Killer is the goofy ending. 

SIX UGLY:  Children and Byou Shin – Children sounds like a really bad Chili Peppers cover, and Byou Shin didn't get any better. 

VULGAR:  New Age Culture, R to the Core – boring filler tracks. 

WITHERING TO DEATH:  Jesus Christ R'n'R, Machiavellism, Beautiful Dirt, Garbage – these are all hilariously goofy for different reasons. Garbage does some interesting things, but ultimately it's DEG doing heavy the wrong way. 

MARROW OF A BONE:  The Deeper Vileness, Clever Sleazoid – rerecorded Sleazoid sounds terrible. 

UROBOROS:  No real issue with this one, though I don't Iike how Toguro sounds on the remastered version, and Bugaboo Respira is bullshit no one needed to hear. 

DUM SPIRO SPERO:  Decayed Crow – I'm okay with it now, but I REALLY hate the twangy/flange-y guitar parts. 

UNRAVELING:  I guess that weird version of Unraveling?  Maybe Unknown.Despair.Lost because they can't seem to play it live very well. 

ARCHE:  Love this album, but for some reason I'm starting to get sick of Magayasou. 

Wtd., vulgar, uroboros, unraveling i liked all of the songs

Dss, arche, marrow, six ugly, kisou i like most of the songs

I think diabolos was better as a demo, without the 4 minute repeat

Deeper vileness is kind of boring

I don't like domestic fucker family

Macabre and missa had to grow on me

I can't talk about my one thought on gauze because its sacred and i will be murdered lol but i liked that one as well c:

You guys really should attend a live where they play MASK and then tell me how you feel about it again. My respect for the track increased enormously during the GAUZE tour, despite the fact that it's one of few Dir en grey songs where fans actually do some more intricate furitsuke, it's a really engaging and fun track. Plus the lyrics are legendary (and printed on the tour wristband, one of my favorite pieces of merchandise in my collection.)

Seconding that Unknown.Despair.Lost is a crime against humanity though and I will stand by that comment no matter what. A good example of where a song didn't need to be re-recorded in the first place.

Well, there's little to no chance I'll ever find myself in a situation where I'm at a DEG show in which they play Mask (especially since Kyo said he didn't enjoy the Mode of Gauze tour at all). So I guess it'll remain as a throwaway to me. I've certainly seen live performances of it. Still don't like it. 

On 2016-08-01 at 0:23 AM, Tokage said:

pls Dir en grey, make an entire album like Phenomenon.....

sukekiyo calling!!!