Neon

Last movie you saw.

Sogo Ishii's Shuffle, it was only 30 minutes long and it involved lots of running

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Beautifully crafted film with many actors playing many different roles. Six main 'storylines' (perhaps seven or eight if you count the really small ones as well) set in different ages and different civilizations. This sounds complicated but it really is not. Each storyline is fairly simple and mostly presented in a logical order for you to process, never making it unnecessarily difficult for the audience to understand.

At times the film was too preachy. It was not complicated, yet it seems the filmmakers thought it would be too difficult for some people? Some of the dialogue and voice-overs could have been removed. I can work things out on my own and really do not need those Captain Obvious statements like "why do people keep making the same mistakes over and over again'?". Yeah, I noticed that, but thanks... I guess.

There were some parts in which the actors were mumbling, so I had to resort to the (Dutch) subtitles because I could not hear everything they were saying.

There were several 'comic relief' moments throughout the film which were not very well done. These moments add up to about two or three minutes of the entire film so it was not that bad, but they still kind of damaged the atmosphere that was created prior to these jokes. However, the scenes that followed quickly made up for these moments and put you back into the magical journey called Cloud Atlas.

It is a magical film and it is very satisfying to see a big budget (100 million dollars) can still be used to create a film like this. At the same time it is slightly disappointing to see that this film does not bring in many bucks and gets its ass kicked commercially by many inferior films (*cough* garbage *cough*) of 2012.

Definitely one of the best films I have seen that was released in the past few decades. It has a few minor flaws but the experience as a whole is memorable and I highly recommend this film.

9.5/10

Definitely one of the best films I have seen that was released in the past few decades. It has a few minor flaws but the experience as a whole is memorable and I highly recommend this film.

Agreed! This movie was one of the highlights of this year for me.

Last movie watched: Burn After Reading

Still fun (saw it for the 2nd time).

Triangle - (surprisingly) decent horror movie, 6/10.

Lucky Number Slevin - I saw this many years ago and didn't like it, now watched it again - loved it! 9/10.

also, I finally saw Rebel Without A Cause. different from what I expected but I still quite liked it. 7,5/10.

Crazy Lips

WEIRD japanese movie. Weird weird weird.

Night Fishing by Chan-Wook Park

Short film shot entirely on either an ipad or iphone(forgot which) about sp00ky fishing

Rurouni Kenshin Live Action 2012

Bakumatsu period - tokyo arc, kenshin fights against Kanryuu then Udou Jine at the end

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

This could have been okay if the cameraman wasn't drunk during the entire filming process. What a way to ruin a film. Roughly 90 minutes of seasickness is what you can expect from watching this.

I am not someone likely to place a taboo on something, but if there is just one thing I want to banish from this world it has to be the so-called "handheld camera technique". Burn it, bury it, destroy it! For me it symbolizes laziness and amateurism. There was no point to the shaky footage. One might argue that in a film like "Blair Witch Project" the handheld camera is functional, but in this film it certainly is not.

I do not even want to describe the rest of the film other than "it could be okay" if they actually put effort into filming it decently.

2/10

NVSaK.jpg

Charade (1963)

A true gem in classic cinema. Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant play together in a crime/mystery/comedy/drama picture full of beautifully crafted dialogue, wonderful plot twists, plenty of suspense and a magical atmosphere. You can not miss this one if you like films!

From start to finish, this film has everything you could wish for.

I need to get the Blu-ray release of this one. NEED.

9.5/10

The Quiet Family - This movie was remade by Miike as 'Happiness of the Katakuris'. Now, compared to the remake, this movie is a lot more 'sane', but it is still a pretty crazy film even despite the lack of claymation and not being a musical. The original and the remake are actually quite different. I found both enjoyable, though. Recommended for people who like comedy-horrors that lean more to the dark comedy side of things.