Neon

Last movie you saw.

i recently had some pretty long trainrides which enabled me to watch a huge chunk of movies so i'll sum them up here...

Burn after Reading:

great movie, super cool actors and acting, it's very amusing how incredibly dumb each and every one of those characters is in it's own special way and [spoilerS AHEAD] it in the end turns out to be just one massive colossal fuck up over countless misinterpretations of documents, actions and behaviours. great shit this

Killing Them Softly:

i have to completely disagree with wsp, this movie is very cool, think like a mixture of coenbrothers (fargo) and snatch or the likes. of course it's not an action movie in any ways, it's very dialogue driven (a bit tarantino-esque)

SoundCity:

a movie for music and production nerds like me, but others might enjoy it aswell i think. a wee bit too nostalgic and esotheric at times, but great nontheless

Men who stare at goats:

it's okayish but despite the sortof ridiculous-cool premise it's a rather uneventful or uninteresting movie in essence

The Perks Of Beeing A Wallflower:

a pretty standard coming of age + slight romance drama film. nothing wrong with that plus ezra miller has quite a talent of making every character he plays extremely interesting...

The Suicide Shop:

starts immensly great, great concept, great voices (all in french, which fits the Noire-concept great) but second half to end it goes massively downhill, and i was not too fond of the musical-approach to some of it, had to skip quite a bit, but maybe that's just me.

Cloud Atlas:

i was very exited for this one, maybe that's why i as pretty disappointed in the end, it all sort of not goes together well. action seems a bit randomly thrown in aswell as the comedy, it would have been better/more coherent if they left out those stupid chases in the "future"-setting (and cheaper also i guess). also it all doesn't really go together that well, i mean everybody is waiting for how those worlds are connected, but that is pretty much irrelevant in the end (one is the goddess of an ancient version of the other  and that's about it) so it in the end is just a bunch of different shortfilms with the same actors in different settings...

A Company Man
this one was cool, very cool action scenes and forseeable but still nice storytelling. very reminiscent of a bittersweet life

Dangerously Exited:

nice little movie about a public servant and his very late little second spring when he involunarily helps out in a band as musician and general life-advisor

Pieta (by KimKiDuk):

great film! very disturbing right from the start this film is pretty much unpleasant start to finish in a eally fascinating way and look (it's not gorey at all actually...). i can't describe it properly, but if you're out for a differnt viewing experience, this is the one to go for.

HelterSkelter:

pacing is pretty off and it's a lot Style over Substance, but that also in a very positive way. it's a feast for the senses, very dreamy and surreal at times. definetly recommended

Olympus Has Fallen

Straight up popcorn action flick. I was thoroughly entertained with Koreans getting popped left and right. :twisted:

A Good Year (2006)
Nothing special, but has its moments. Slightly better than the average romantic comedy. The comedy part is sometimes silly, sometimes subtle and charming, but either way it works most of the time. The acting was alright. The plot wasn't very engaging though... and the way its being presented added to the predictability. I wouldn't highly recommend it but I wouldn't dismiss it either. 6/10

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Yaaaaawn. Typical CGI driven family flick with an overload of violence. Would not recommend, not even to children. This film does not spark their imagination, but kills it instead. Its atmosphere is about as lively as fries from McDonalds: plastic all the way through. Just terrible.  2/10

À bout de souffle (1960)
The small things in life that make you happy and the bigger, borderline philosophical, questions presented all in one film. It works perfectly: it's up close and yet far away. The film crosses genre boundaries and many of the rules of conventional cinema but it's still very much enjoyable for practically everyone!

Belmondo and Seberg are one of the most memorable screen 'couples' I've ever seen. You might just get so dragged into their worlds that you would almost forget you're watching it on a screen, rather than living it yourself. The pacing is just right, the acting is excellent and every single scene is iconic by itself. I'm having a hard time trying to find anything about this film that I didn't like... even just a little bit. It's just so perfect to me. 10/10

Resident Evil Retribution.

It was a good movie. I don't get all the hate. I feel like people take this series too seriously. Lots of action, gunplay, crazy fight moves and zombie bashing. It was fun. 

Would You Rather

Nice little thriller, kinda Saw-ish in theme. Jeffrey Combs (Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, etc) was excellent in it!

John Dies At The End

The book is so much better, it's ridiculous. Basically they cut out like 3/4ths of the book, including some important sideplots

Battle Royale, past 2 times I watched it I liked it so much I didn't give great attention to the acting, watching it the 3rd time I realised Fujiwara (Shuya) isn't that good in it, he's pretty good when his friends die but he has one other emotion and it's the whole 'whispery "I'll protect you"' but then again, I wasn't expecting a variety of emotions in the movie

Source Code

Truly epic and thoroughly exciting sci-fi thriller. Was afraid that Duncan Jones couldn't top "Moon" but wow... expectations exceeded!

Wanderlust - This was hilarious. Paul rudd was funny as heck in this.

The Thing (2012 remake) - Not as awesome as the original. It was faster paced and killed some of the thrill and suspense of the original. Regardless it was still good.

The Sitter - Another funny movie. Jonah Hill and the kids were funny. Even if the plot did seem to play out like every other Jonah hill movie.

Snow White and the Huntsman. - It was okay. It was sluggish and some of the acting was weak, but It was far too long. There wasn't enough of a payout.  Would skip this.

Silent Hill Revelations - It was decent. The special effects and hideous monsters were the best. The story was a bit too simplistic. I was surprised this was a sequel to the original Silent Hill movie. 

The Divide

7/10

Exciting movie, I wasn't bored at all. Disturbing at the same time though. Made me feel sortta uncomfortable mainly because of rape and kill scenes.

Sinister

It was pretty bad; I fast-forwarded through most of the second half to get to the scary parts but still, very boring, flat and predictable.

Defiance

In WWII Russia, Jewish refugees band together into a brigade that hides in the forest,

ambushes Germans and survives until war’s end, eventually 1200 strong.

This was true story , loved all min actors ( Daniel Craig , Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell)

The Happy Life

after the death of their friend, three middle-aged guys reform their old college rock band. good movie with good music.

Gangster Squad

brings nothing new to its genre, stereotypical characters and all gangster-movie clichés. if you wanna see a good gangster flick, skip this and watch The Untouchables.

Our School ET

Korean movie with Lee Minho(oh yes that Lee Minho ;)), Kim Sooro and Park Boyoung. Plus a bunch other, I don't really recognize all of the actors.

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (1958)
An atmospheric and suspenseful French film with noir elements that hits all the right notes. Pun intended. Its soundtrack is breathtaking (almost all of the music is by Miles Davis), the acting performances are a little theatric yet very believable, exactly how I like it, and the plot is fantastic! Two people who happened to fall in love plan a murder on the woman's husband but it doesn't all go as planned. Some very unfortunate events take place and the film takes many unexpected twists and turns.

One could have a few minor issues with the plot, most notably with the ending, but it doesn't harm the complete experience. I would recommend this beautiful film to everyone. It was released under several other titles worldwide, most famously as 'Elevator to the Gallows' in the USA. 9/10

Solaris (2002)
The novel 'Solaris' was written in 1961, a tv-adaption was made in 1968 and in 1972 famous film maker Andrei Tarkovski made his film 'Solyaris' based on the same novel. I haven't seen any of these and neither have a read the novel so I can't make any comparisons.

That being said, I thought this film was absolutely wonderful. Solaris takes its time and presents beautiful visuals with a heart. It's entirely sci-fi but feels like it takes place much closer to home. Director Soderbergh succeeded in making the completely unbelievable events that happen near the fictional planet Solaris believable while raising some borderline philosophical questions at that. It is a very intriguing, mysterious film. A little unorthodox, some people might even find this boring, but I was fascinated. 9/10

I have added the 1972 Solyaris to my watchlist immediately. If this version is indeed even better (most people on the internet seem to agree on this) then I'm in for a treat. Can't wait.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Tampopo

Yeah, I was in a "food movie" feeling, haha. :D One's a recent documentary, other's an old classic; both were really nice!

The Amazing Spiderman.

It was good a movie, but I don't understand how Andrew Garfield got the lead role of Peter Parker. Forget that he looks nothing like the character, but his acting is terrible. Supporting actors like emma stone as gwen stacy and the other characters like doctor connor, uncle ben and aunt may were great though. I like how the costume looks like an actually costume and not totally CGI animated and how spidey's webshooters and humerous personality are back.

Yesterday I was gonig to Cinema for watch Oblivion a movie with Tom "Scientology" Cruise.

Not a bad movie, special, I have really appreciate the first part, until we discover who are the "jackal" after this scenario become ordinary in Sci.Fi movies.

Executive Decision (1996)
Prime example of a mediocre 90's action/thriller film. Terrorists hijack a plane, special US soldier team comes to rescue, lots of fake suspense throughout the entire film, no characters, just puppets used for the plot. It has a few decent moments but honestly, it's still pretty bad. 3/10

King Kong (1933)

The original iconic King Kong film is... not that great at all. Surely it had great stage props and action sequences back in the day and it must've been really exciting but this is one of those films that did not really stand up to the test of time.

This film just has a couple of memorable moments everyone will instantly recognize even without having seen it, but it also has mediocre acting, a rather uninvolving plot (it's not dragging you inside of the film, you just keep watching it from a distance), some terrible dialogue and overall poor directing. It stands out in its ideas rather than the final results. There are plenty of 'monster' films that I liked more than this, unfortunately. King Kong is, just like those others, a cult film now. It is enjoyable surely but it won't offer anything when rewatching it. Watching it once is fun, but if you're anything like me then you'll probably pass when being offered to watch it again. 6/10