Neon

Last movie you saw.

well It did seem like a rush towards the end half way through the movie - I was hoping for more of the 60s/70s Ultraman style that Japan used to do before all the movie effects became overdone. as for the series - I did turn around and say to my friend that it probably would have been better if they split the movie up so they could add more content. I wouldnt have minded if it was a trilogy. 

Rammbock - Berlin Undead XD

I think this zombie movie was quite good for a german movie. I expected something worse but I was surpised this time. I've never saw a good german horror movie in my life. LOL

Only God Forgives

a lot of people hate this one, but I enjoyed it. Yes it's slow but the cop was a real a badass, the soundtrack was great (and the karaoke scenes), the cinematography was beautiful.

My Sassy Girl

not the original, but american remake. not as good as the original (obviously) but I watched and liked this because of Elisha Cuthbert <3

Wo hu cang long (or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) (2000)
I can sense the fairytale/fantasy like style and most of the action sequences are fairly well done. They're way over the top, but entertaining nonetheless. However, I felt the plot was really stale and did not offer much. Some of the dialogue is simply laughably bad. I realise I only read English translations of this Chinese spoken film, but still, stupid dialogue is still stupid in every language. Visually it is very nice with some exceptional moments. Overall it is decent, but I would not watch it again. 6/10

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

Slow starter with a fantastic middle part and a decent ending. When the plot/mystery begins to take shape I felt myself cheering for the main protagonist (stunning performance by Margaret Lockwood) more than I've felt myself cheering for other protagonists in other films I've recently seen. This combined with a good dose of humor and many nicely crafted scenes makes a great film. The by-the-book ending isn't entirely satisfying, but it's very much acceptable. 8/10

Europa Report

Somewhere between 'a bit boring' and 'occasionally suspenseful and exciting', overall an okay sci-fi good for one watch maybe. I liked the claustrophobic atmosphere and the kinda "found footage" nature of the whole thing. I thought it would be more horror-like with creepy aliens and stuff but it wasn't too bad this way either.

Pacific Rim

I felt kind of worried about this after all the internet reviews but I was actually really impressed. I totally agree that

*SPOILERS*

Dumbass phone!

*SPOILERS*

the Chinese and Russian jaegers had, like, NO screentime whatsoever.

*END SPOILERS*

However, i think the fights in general were amazing; they were like an adult version of a Power Rangers megazord battle. Unlike in Transformers, you can actually SEE what's going on too.

I definitely recommend this film but NOT in 3D! I went to the IMAX and was pretty disappointed by the lack of IN YOUR FACE CGI!! Still, a few things stuck out a bit...you know what '3D' films are like XD

Side Effects

Very nice and clever crime/thriller flick with some interesting and unexpected twists and turns. Entertaining without being show-offy, recommended!

I tend to sit around and watch a lot of terrible horror movies on netflix

so the 2 i watched most recently are:

Tormented.jpg

About a little boy who kills a rabbit on the school yard and everyone sees him do it and then every torments him from there

and he keeps having these dreams/visions of a stuffed rabbit?? Idk. I didnt get it.

The other one was Korean:

voices_poster.jpg

this one was a bit better, but basically everyone in this girls family is cursed and somehow everyone wants them dead?

but....it was still weird.

*SPOILER (kinda)*

I really hate the whole imaginary people thing in asian horror movies.

this happened in both of the aforementioned films.

Jesus christ its aggravating.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Seen this before, but not in Blu quality. It's a children's picture above everything else and it's quite charming at that but I don't believe this belongs in all the 'all time classics' lists it keeps appearing in. I still dislike the character the cowardly lion and the ending. 6/10

Fargo (1996)
Often funny and sometimes clever. Madness throughout! Tragic coincidences and characters so insane they should be kept in a psychiatric institution. Good. 7/10

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Ouch. 2/10

Hiroshima, mon amour (1959)

The story of an impossible romance set in an anti-war film. Captures the difficulty for 'outsiders' to comprehend tragedies in far-away lands. Trying to connect and share their sorrow, but eventually they're clueless on what to do, what to think. Mesmerizing throughout. From the beautiful black and white photography to the almost poetic dialogue. There's a lot more to this film than I can describe. 10/10

My Neighbour Totoro (1988)

I watched it for the first time a few days ago, hoping to be blown away, because of the hype built around it. Story wise, it was completely underwhelming. I didn't know what to expect, but I assumed there would be more of Totoro in it, and less children running around and yelling. I guess that after having to read so many stories in school placed at the countryside, the movie lost appeal to me. 

As cute as Totoro was, he seemed like a complete fool.

Sherlock Jr. (1924)
With its length of 45 minutes this Buster Keaton action-comedy balances on the edge of 'feature film' and 'short'. Apparently it was a bit longer originally but they cut bits out of it after filming. It's great fun and plenty of the stunts in here are far more exciting than what you see in superhero movies nowadays. Simply because some of them are very real... almost too real! While the plot and the characters aren't mindblowing, Keaton is a daredevil with an excellent sense of humor and a great feeling for timing. Incredible! 8/10

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

This western felt a bit too manipulative. The stubborn, evil, wooden characters didn't really come to life at any point and while it's a very 'adult' movie with a 'heavy' plot, I felt as if I was being spoon fed some lessons on morality and logic... as if the writers of this film thought the audience must be easily impressed. Some small parts of the film are excellent but towards the ending I kept thinking "is this all there is to it?". 5/10

My Neighbour Totoro (1988)

I watched it for the first time a few days ago, hoping to be blown away, because of the hype built around it.

It has a good reputation worldwide but I don't think 'hype' is the right word. I agree with you that it's not super impressive but I was entertained anyhow. Cute little movie in my opinion. Totoro is a bit of a silly fool indeed but I believe it worked and that's what made him a likable character.

The Fly (1958)
Sometimes I wasn't sure if this was intentionally funny or accidentally funny. Either way, it's a very cheesy and not very scary horror picture from times long gone. I liked how the film got on its way with some great mysterious atmosphere but about halfway into the film everything just got worse. The magic eventually disappeared and the ending left me unsatisfied. Unfortunately, even if this film is charming... in a macabre sort of way... it wasn't very good. 4/10

Life of Pi (2012)

Surprisingly good. The acting was top-notch, the visuals were top-notch, the storytelling was top-notch for the most part, but the attempts at humor were hit-and-miss and the ending was an unnecessary handout towards the audience in case they couldn't quite figure it out themselves. This is very good, but not perfect. 8/10

Oh Confessions is one of the best japanese movies. I have to say it's a really good movie.

Yesterday I saw "Conjuring" with my friend in the cinema. Although I'm not afraid of horror movies but this one was soo scary :S

Niagara (1953)
Predictable but surprisingly enjoyable and colorful noir-ish drama with Marilyn Monroe as a cheating, disgraceful woman who plans to murder her husband (played by Joseph Cotton!). The third leading role is for Jean Peters who unwillingly gets involved in all this. There are several visually pleasing and tense scenes in this film. Marilyn definitely wasn't the best actress of her time but it would be far too easy to dismiss Niagara for just that reason. Nice film, better than I anticipated. 7/10

Spellbound (1945)

Somewhat far-fetched but still convincing Hitchcock thriller that deals with the use of psychoanalysis on a murder suspect with memory loss. There's nothing about this film that really stands out apart from the mesmerizing dream sequence that came to be from the creative mind of Salvador Dali. Good entertainment with good acting, a decent script and good directing, but not outstanding. 7/10

Some good stuff I saw recently:

- Tesis (Thesis) / kinda okay Spanish thriller, nothing too surprising but it was entertaining

- Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf) / super-moody and depressing flick, loved its style and pace tho, very dream-like

- The Shining / finally saw this one for the first time, cool atmosphere and fantastic acting from Mr Nicholson

The Lone Ranger (2013)
I liked the music, the villain played by William Fichtner and the silly but funny jokes. The action sequences were impressive visually and contained a few original stunts, but often were way too long and uninteresting for the most part. The storyline was... well, nothing but a pity excuse for a storyline. This film would've worked better if they either cut the dramatic scenes or drowned them with comedy. 5/10

Scarface (1932)

It's definitely good, but it isn't better than other gangster pictures of those years like Little Caesar or The Public Enemy. The actions of the characters in this one didn't feel convincing at all times. One minute person A hates person B and the next minute they fall into eachother's arms. That sort of thing. Many impulsive decisions are made in this film. Sometimes they add to the personalities of the characters, but other times they were just too stupid to be believable. It's an old trick: if you need your story to quickly develop then suddenly inject some stupidity into a character and ta-da, the story unfolds! When you can keep the viewer's attention with real tension and a couple of great set pieces, like Scarface has, then it can be forgiven, but it still hurts the film a little. 7/10

Funny Face (1957)
This musical romantic comedy is uneven but entertaining. Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn are both talented but these two falling for eachother romantically? Doubtful, to say the least. Some scenes were silly but great, others were silly but stupid. The ending is a bit weak and stupid, but those joyful, charming and very much gay (in the older meaning of the word) songs and dances make up for the lesser parts. I guess Funny Face can be classified as a very 'girly' film and if you're not into that at all, then don't bother. But if you don't care about that, this could be fun. 6/10

Le quai des brumes (or Port of Shadows) (1938)

Its storyline is fairly simple and it may be struggling a bit to really get going in the beginning, but it's very rewarding in the end. A film that feels very human. The foggy locations add to the mood, which is a bit gloomy, and the dialogue is almost like poetry at times, but never out of character. Great acting, some brilliant lines and characters, atmospheric, neither too simple or too complex. This is a really good one! 9/10

The Great Gatsby (2013)
Everything is SHINY! This entire film is full of shiny things, perfect things. I'm surprised to say I found it enjoyable. It has its flaws and it's a bit too long, but most of it is so wrong that it just pushes the whole thing into a different world with a different atmosphere where everything always has to be shiny and loud and above all: kitschy. The film doesn't take itself too seriously and neither do the actors and actresses. They act as if they're part of some fairytale that took an overdose of glamour and they're alright with it.

I never expect much from director Baz Luhrmann, especially after the dreadful Australia, but this film is good fun and I predict that in some years many will call this a 'guilty pleasure'. It's silly, bombastic and often doesn't make much sense stylistically but that seems to be exactly what this film needed. 7/10