Neon

Last movie you saw.

@Bear: Totally agreed! What a delightfully weird and creepy movie. :)

Some days ago I watched the 1988 remake of The Blob. Haven't seen the original but heard this one was a bit more entertaining and over-the-top than the '50s one. Well, it was a fun ride that's for sure. I love '80s movies that utilize practical special effects like here, instead of CGI. Of course by today's standards it was all rather predictable (tho I didn't expect one of the characters to be killed off - not gonna give it away who it was). Anyway, good ol' mindless monster fun.

It's gorier and more of a horror film, but the original is without a doubt the better one. More sci-fi over it than horror. It's a really great film and Steve McQueen's awesome.

Attack of the Crab Monsters - Hilarious big monster "z-film" from the 50's. The whole film's a mess to be honest. The monster looks ridiculous, the story's poor and the acting's really bad. But it's such an enjoyable film nonetheless and it works perfectly with a few beers. I loved it!

I, Robot - A great, really underrated film. It has its flaws, especially the CGI which often looks dated, but that's normal with CGI. The story is great!

The Mechanic - A remake of the classic 1972 film of the same name with Charles Bronson. This time we get Jason Statham as Arthur Bishop and he does a good jobb. Statham is himself and you know exactly what you get with him. Nothing spectacular and not a film I'll watch twice (the remake however can be watched a lot!), but I was entertained.

Summer with Monika (1953)
Girl meets boy. Girl comes from a terrible household. Her father is often drunk and beats her up. Boy lives with his father who then strikes ill. Boy quits his lowly paid job and the young couple take the father's boat and run away from the rest of the world.

A film the Swedish director Ingmar Bergman made before his engine really got up to temperature. It feels cold, lifeless and distant. This is no Persona or Wild Strawberries. The acting isn't great either. To put it simply: the girl can't act. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're a real big fan of Bergman and want to see one of his earlier films. I'm sure some, especially Bergman fans, would disagree with me, but I feel some just refuse to acknowledge this is anything other than a curiosity. 4/10

Really? I thought Sommaren med Monika was a great film. Not Ingmar Bergman's best film, but a very, very good one nonetheless. I also thought Harriet Andersson was just fabulous in it. I haven't seen nearly enough Ingmar Bergman films, but I've loved every single one and I need to watch a lot more from him. Should have a Bergman marathon soon, and watch plenty of Ingmar Bergman films. I need to finish my "big monster flick" marathon and then my Fritz Lang marathon first.

Monster from the Ocean Floor - Tip top 50's big monster film. The film's a b-film and had a pretty low budget at times, and you'll notice that a few times. Especially on the monster's movement which was horrible. But other than that I actually think this is a good film. Very, very enjoyable film. The monster looks pretty awesome, and that was the biggest surprise here. Anyway, I enjoyed this hella lot!

Amer

Weird stuff... or more like dreamy/surreal/visceral. Not sure if I liked it or not yet, but feeling better about it now than immediately when it was over. xD Might even re-watch it, the visuals (and some of the soundtrack) were awesome. You could tell the creators paid tribute to the likes of Argento (especially with the dramatic crazy-colored lighting), but created something almost totally different. Dunno if I'd recommend it but the directors are already set to release their next movie "L'étrange couleur des larmes de ton corps" which is supposed to be an old-school Italian style giallo in the spirit of French cinema or something (???).

Amer was just great. I just loved the obvious giallo inspiration, and especially the Dario Argento inspiration. Quite the unique film. Very much recommended!

Also, you should check out Berberian Sound Studio. Another weird, giallo inspired film. Even better than Amer.

Just saw Citadel with my boyfriend. I thought it was interesting and he was really freaked out since he has had his house broken into before (which is the driving force in the story). I didn't really expect it to turn into Left 4 Dead, so that was interesting. What I think I liked most is that you can interpret the movie to be a creepy thriller OR you can take each event and figure out what it is supposed to be a metaphor for in the main character's life as he overcomes his depression and post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Batman: Year one - Pretty good. Animated film following Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman and all the challenges he has to overcome as a novice crime fighter. Mostly told from a young commissioner gordan's POV and how he rose through the police ranks and cleaned up gotham. Except for a few scenes that were too unrealistic, the film was good. 7/10  

Superman Vs. The Elite - Another DC animated film. The animation in this one is actually pretty cartoony. The story is pretty serious though. The basic premise is about a group of superheros who kill villains and which superman must stop. Good dialogue and action sequences. Particularly the last fight scene. 7/10

The World's End

I didn't see any trailer nor read any review for this movie. All I knew was that it was the final part of the "cornetto" trilogy by Edgar Wright and that my favorite duo (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost) were acting as the main characters once again.

It was pretty funny at the beginning, I really thought it was just the thing with the pubs and funny stuff but then it happened, that twist of the plot... LOL

I really didn't expect that, and then everything went like wtf, really, it was awesome. I loved it, I love these guys movies so much.

Awesome movie, they know how to do stuff out of place to fit in the right place.

Attack of the Giant Leeches - Another 50's big monster b-film with a low budget, but it is surprisingly good. The monsters looks both retarded and good at the same moment, but they look mutated right. These fucking leeches has got arms. All in all another great 50's big monster flick.

The Guard - Hilarious crime-comedy and the director debut by John Michael McDonagh, brother of the more known Martin McDonagh (In Bruges og Seven Psychopaths). Great film, and John Michael McDonagh, just like his brother, seems to have a real talent in film making. Impressive. The best about this film is Brendan Gleeson, better known from In Bruges and Braveheart. He's brilliant in this film.

Con Air - This was the shit when I was younger, but sadly it's one of those films that didn't stand the test of time too well. It's still a cool and entertaining film, but it's just not as good as it was when I was younger. But you gotta love the fact the film has this certain coolness over it, and is macho, cheesy and filled with hilariously bad one liners. Plenty of good actors here too, but Steve Buscemi and Danny Trejo steals the show.

Dellamorte Dellamore - This is a great mix of black comedy, zombie horror and art house film. Original and a really nice touch on the zombie genre. Very good visually as well. And I mean, very, very good. Classic film that gets better with each view. And 20 years after its release there still ain't no film quite like it.

From Hell - Great, underrated horror/thriller based on the even better comic by Alan Moore. Dark, gloomy and gritty, as well as a pleasure to the eyes. As previously said; underated!

Dellamorte Dellamore - This is a great mix of black comedy, zombie horror and art house film. Original and a really nice touch on the zombie genre. Very good visually as well. And I mean, very, very good. Classic film that gets better with each view. And 20 years after its release there still ain't no film quite like it.

Ah, I vaguely remember watching this movie and that it was kinda okay-ish but nothing more... I don't think I even finished it. XD Might give it a second try in the future tho, when I'm more in the mood for it, cuz it seemed fun enough.

Anyway, finally watched Ted over the weekend - loved it! You could really tell it's Seth MacFarlane, I guess that both has a good and bad aspect too... on one hand it has some really lol-worthy moments, on the other hand it gets pretty predictable fast. It was enjoyable overall, good for one watch (maybe a second one too).

Ah, I vaguely remember watching this movie and that it was kinda okay-ish but nothing more... I don't think I even finished it. XD Might give it a second try in the future tho, when I'm more in the mood for it, cuz it seemed fun enough.

I don't know your taste in films very well, but if you don't mind slow, different films then you certainly should. Dellamorte Dellamore is a great piece of film making.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
Visually impressive but in the end it's nothing more than a rollercoaster ride through various locations thanks to stuff that happens mostly by chance (lazy writing?) and with characters one never really gets to care about... or loves to hate. Except for that dragon whose motives are not quite clear. He loves to be evil and makes no excuses. Plain evil, no sad childhood stories or other pathetic attempts to 'deepen' the creature. I like that. Generally speaking, characters in this film are more like pawns being tossed around in a game of odd coincidences... or one might say: in a game of chaos. Sure, they made plans, but eventually they all rely on having luck on their side.

It's only until the last chapter of the film when we get to meet Smaug though, and there's plenty more to see. Too much even. There are a few side plots that serve no use whatsoever, and make just as little sense. Something with a male dwarf and a female elf for example, what was that all about?

Don't expect any meaningful dialogue or tension created by dialogue. In fact, prepare for a few embarassing monologues. They are relatively short (thankfully), but it would've been better if left out. Mystery has very little place in this fantasy world, as almost every near-death encounter is foretold through characters talking to eachother about the dangers of the journey. It's comparable to a child in a theme park waiting for a ride through a fantasy attraction and you telling him that he can expect "this monster and that monster and some of these creeps and a really big dragon" but assuring that nothing will harm him.

There are exciting scenes throughout the film, but it's very predictable that every single one of them involves a chase or hide-and-seek game of some kind. This combined with spectacular graphics draw the viewer into the action and I must admit I was hooked more than just once of twice. Graphically it's stunning and the sounds are also fantastic. For that it deserves much praise. For everything else, not so much. But hey, that still makes it a whole lot better than An Unexpected Journey. A generous 6/10.

Prometheus - Awesome sci-fi film. The basic premise, trying to prove that the existence of human beings came about as the creation of advanced ancient aliens. Traveling in a space-ship to some unknown alien planet to discover the origins of humanity....you know things will go wrong eventually, but the ride is immensely enjoyable. 8/10

Akira - I'm an anime fan and have seen most of the acclaimed must see anime films, but I had yet to see this one. This film was incredible. Love the dirty cyberpunk feel and the animation. The story and characters were great. It's funny, intelligent and brutally violent at times. 9.5/10

Mr.Brooks - I guess this would be your thriller/psychological movie. Basically about a seemingly normal business/family man who has a secret addiction to murdering people and gets blackmailed into continuing to kill, despite wanting to quit his addiction. It's not perfect, but it keeps the viewer interested and the lead performance is strong. It also made Asking Alexandria's song, Hey There Mr. Brooks more enjoyable now that I've seen the movie. 6.5/10

Sunshine Cleaning - Comedy/drama film about a single mom who takes on the job of cleaning up gruesome crime scenes. An enjoyable indie film with good acting, dialogue and story. 7.5/10

Not films, but I will post it here anyway since I finished the seasons:

Breaking Bad, season 3 - I've seen this before and I thought it was even more enjoyable now. I love how gritty and dark everything becomes. It's just great. I don't get why this season gets so much hate. It's on par with both of the other seasons. I've seen season 4 as well, but not yet seen season 5. It would be nice if people didn't spoil anything.

Ripper Street, season 1 - It's a shame this got canceled, because this was good. It lacks the final touch to make if one of the great ones, but still a very enjoyable series. Dark, violent and gritty. The atmosphere is just great, the actors are mostly very good and the sets are beutiful, it's visually fantastic, and the last two eisodes were amazing Even better than the first, which was really good. Esecially the last one were top notch. Not much less than brilliant to be honest. Starting on season 2 soon enough, and it's the last season. I hope they found a way to finish it all up in a nice way. Anyway, recommended if you like gritty crime dramas or things set to the Victorian era.

Zatoichi's Pilgrimage - The fourteenth entry in the film series about Zatoichi, the blind swordsman. The thirteen films before this one are all amazing, and so is this. The only weakness in the series is that it does renew itself much from film to film, but I don't care about that. It's top ntoch, and Shintaro Katsu is as great as always. It's another amazing entry in the series about Zatoichi. Bloody great!

Almost forgot about the CBGB movie coming out but luckily got reminded, so watched it yesterday night. It was a nice little piece of punk-rock history, I liked Alan Rickman as the owner of the CBGB club (also totally didn't recognize Rupert Grint till only after the movie was finished, haha). I loved how the great (then-small) acts appeared in it, like Talking Heads or the Ramones. It wasn't anything totally mindblowing but if you like this sort of dramatized based-on-real-events music biography movie thingie it's worth a watch.

Critters 2 - Campy, cheesy b-movie made during the high point of the Gremlins craze. Carnivorous space fluffballs terrorize a small American town and it's up to a young teen and a bunch of space bounty hunters to take them down.

If you're into that typical '80s b-movie stuff you'll definitely at least be amused by this flick. Nothing highbrow here, just the type of stuff to watch with a couple of beers.