Neon

Last movie you saw.

Pacific Rim.

I was expecting more Evangelion and it reminded me that I love Japanese giant mecha stories a hell of a lot better than Western ones. Most of the fighting here was done via hand-to-hand using fists, which I think it so stupid unless it is paired with ridiculous light shows / feathers / rose petals like G-Gundam. I am happy that the main couple was interracial, even if the Japanese the woman used seemed really forced and sometimes a bit off.

Cool CG effects and definitely a lot of homages to the Godzilla movie from the late 90s were made. There were a lot of times where it suffered from "I can't fucking tell what I'm looking at" sydrome, since there was too much going on at once, coupled with shakey camera and jerky position transitions. Also, at one point the main characters went into a different dimension and the people at the base were still able to monitor their vital signs. How...do you have an interdimensional transmitter, but can't figure out how to stop giant alien frogs?

Stumbled on Morgan Freeman 2006 movie called 10 Items or Less two days ago. Not gonna bother writing a review like some of you but I'll just say it was really cute and I enjoyed it because it's actually believable and not some action-packed blockbuster you gonna forget in 5 minutes. The actors were really good too. 

I generally prefer small movies unless it really caught my interest.

- Cronos / nice horror flick (nothing too extreme tho) by Guillermo del Toro

- Oblivion / pretty okay sci-fi, I enjoyed it (nice visuals too!)

Elysium

all I can say is it's really good and has a satisfying ending, can't really say if it matches up to district 9 or not but it's pretty close :)

Hellboy

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

I've already seen the first but not the second one, so I watched them both. Great fun, also lots of awesome visuals!

Kick Ass 2,

I'm in love with Hit-girl again. Even though I'm 18, it's more acceptable now that she's 16 than when she was 11.

I'm currently watching Pitch Perfect cause of Anna Kendrick

The Iceman

pretty good, but I much prefer the documentary to this.. overall though pretty good and has good actors too. It could have been way worse.

8/10

Safe House (2012)
Painful to watch and terrible all around. Shaky camera, lightning was bad beyond belief: overexposure all throughout the film resulting in awful colors and a horrible use of contrast, awful editting, unimaginative plot, illogical actions performed by almost every character, riddled with cliches... etc. In many ways it's identical to tons of other action movies... except it's worse. 1/10

Men in Black 3 (2012)

Bad. Has some good ideas but many weak attempts at comedy and a dull execution for most of those ideas bring it way down. B-movie on a big budget. 3/10

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Jane Russell is much better here than that other lead actress we all know... Marilyn Monroe. She isn't bad either, but let's be honest, portraying a materialistic and not very bright girl isn't the hardest job in the world! It's a musical except with long stretches of 'normal' filmmaking inbetween. The choreography of the dance numbers is top notch and the dialogue is quite entertaining, even if the plot is weak. The characters are one-dimensional... but often portrayed with a lot of fun. Not quite the classic must-see, but entertaining enough with a handful of quoteworthy lines. 6/10

Platoon (1986)

Harsh reality yet a bit too dramatic at times. I felt as if they tried to put too much characters in one movie. There's a whole bunch of soldiers we get to know, but most of them don't get enough screentime for us to familiarize ourselves with them. Their inevitable deaths (at least for many of them) therefore aren't as shocking as they could've been. Would've worked better with less characters. Still good though, despite some minor issues. 7/10

Watched a heap of sci-fi flicks either with some buddies or at home in the past days, these were pretty nice:

Minority Report (seen it for the 2nd time actually)

Total Recall (watched both the original and the remake but the original was much much better)

Children of Men

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
Fun for children, but this wasn't much more than that. Everything about this is really 'by-the-book'... no surprises anywhere. I disliked the ending which was predictable and completely unsatisfying. Among the more positive points are the imaginative character and creature designs, the introduction to the world (first 15 or 20 minutes) and some of the funnier jokes. 6/10

The Lady Eve (1941)
This romantic comedy is a little uneven but still a lot of fun. The scene in which the three main figures, Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda and James Coburn, play cards for the first time is outstanding. It's very funny and clever and at the same time plays a key role in the plot. Stunning scene, I loved it! 7/10

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

A bit too dramatic at times, including (without going into details) that very manipulative monologue at the end of the film. I guess that's Ron Howard's style. Delibirately playing into the hand of the audience while sacrificing a scene or two to do so. Anyway, good acting, nice build-up, great costumes, set design, etc. Many good and enjoyable things. But not perfect. 7/10

Frankenstein (1931)

As 'classic' as this may be, this adaption wasn't very good. Felt wooden and lifeless... and rushed? On all levels this film didn't meet the expectations. This may be an early talkie-era film, but that's still no excuse for such an average one. 4/10

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Surprisingly this was a lot more enjoyable. Much richer in atmosphere and while still lacking in several departments, most notably dialogue and acting, this felt a lot more like a horror story... and much more like a good movie. 6/10

Senso (1954)

Visually stunning with beautiful colors, pretty costumes and impressive sets. Great story of an impossible love affair interrupted by war that takes an unexpected turn at the end and suddenly changes into another kind of picture with another theme. There's about 20 to 30 minutes in the middle of the film that felt too long, but overall this was very good. 8/10

Saw it more then a week ago but i went to see Riddick (2013) Its an alright movie, wasnt great - I felt it didnt really pick up the story very well from where it left off.... Before that I went to watch Elysium with maaaaatt daymunnnnnnn~ and totally noticed that Daniel Jackson from Stargate/Stargate SG-1 was among the extras for the 5 seconds he was on screen. 

Also while we're on the subject of Stargate SG-1 I also found out that 'Teal'c' (of Chulak) played one of Bane's henchman in the Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises.

Not that im a fan of Stargate or nuthin, but sometimes its interesting to see where the actors end up after the series they've done for the last decade has come to an end.

Last movies I've watched were Suicide Bus and Akira. The production of the former one was somehow connected to Takeshi Kitano. It's a cool dark comedy about people trying to commit insurance fraud by killing themselves on a bus trip. The latter... Yeah, it's Akira. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before tbh