Spike760

Dir en grey

^ is there a translated ongaku no hito interview you're talking about somewhere? I'd like to read that tbh (anyway, he just made it back on top of my faves in this band)

http://direngreytranslation.tumblr.com/post/48925473994/shinyas-interview-in-ongaku-to-hito-may-2013

I suppose he meant this year's OnH interview - where Shinya sounded really, say, unmotivated.

ugh, that's a discouraging interview.

I hate what they've been doing through the most of their recent releases, and he doesn't seem to be excited about working with this band anymore, but, like, I don't see him working with anyone else right now, with vk's decline and all that stuff.

-Going on tour for the first time in a while, did you have fun drumming?

Shinya: It wasn’t particularly fun. Doing it up till now, its not really fun……. Well, I’m not really doing this band while thinking this is fun.

-If that’s the case then why are you playing in this band?

Shinya: ……..hmm. Well, There’s the feeling of continuing to express.

-Express yourself do you mean??

Shinya: Yes

-Do you ever think things like it would be good if I could have fun while doing it?

Shinya: As long as I’m doing this band, I don’t.

Wow.

To be honest sometimes I think he isn't really into the "music" thing. I remember his haiiro no ginka thing where he would just talk about his fruits and manga and candy... sometimes it sounds like he lives in another world inside his head

"-There’s many bands that have continued for longer than Dir en grey, and reversely, bands that have broken up in less time than Dir en grey have been around for, but, what do you think is the most vital thing in order for a band to continue?

Shinya: ………Don’t be too close, but don’t be too distant. That sort of feeling. Even though you’re creating distance to a certain extent"

That's a pretty powerful quote, albeit in broke English. That could be why so many bands break up when a single member leaves and, conversely, why some bands just disappear.

It would have been vital for them to change band members from time to time or doing side projects. I can well imagine it's extremely exhausting to be confronted with this band and members every bloody day. If it comes down to it, the driving force behind the band are just Kaoru and Kyo anyway. And I could never imagine any of the two doing anything else than Dir en grey ever (yeah I know Kyo's poetry..but that was not really different). Speaking for the others,  it's not unusual for bands to "take turns" with the members, and it's of course vital for the spirit of the band to have band members who are actually enthusiastic about it and don't feel they just "have to do it" because they can't do anything else or have been restricted to do only that for such a long time. So it's good for Shinya to have these side projects. I think he needs them.

i agree with the above!

also just for the sake of conversation. don't take this too seriously.

to be honest i always felt a little weird when deg says they are not really hanging out together & it's more about work .
but having lost friends myself i understand maybe this is the only way to protect the band.
also it  sounds scary. because everyone wants to imagine bands as friends who are having fun more than business. but i guess
at this professional level things are different.

deg do tend to have this impression of being too serious though why. and  i always felt they have a more artistic type/profile/attitude than what most metal bands usually have.
( i mean for example i swear sometimes kyo seems more like a poet/artist than just a famous singer/ i can not explain this better).

i like this and i couldn't imagine them  different but makes you worry sometimes if they are ok.

also i think it's  adorable that they have still a "girly" member. it doesn't look bad at all.
i mean i am happy how  the others  turned to be. but i like that one is different lol.
maybe he feels he can't express himself as much as  the others though

who hasn't already should also check out the other members-interviews on that site from ongaku no hitu.

it gives a very clear picture of the bands approach to music and it doesn't seem like blabla to me honestly.

(kyos in particular if i remember correctly)

that weird chemistry of batteling for songparts and trying to fit the unfitting together really shows in their songs and really still makes them quite unique in my books, which is pretty much the main point why i don't understand the usual claim "they're just your average deathcore/metalcore-band nowadays".

it might be that "language" but it's a whole different kind of music and that's why the songs turn out the weird disfunctional behemoths that they are

(that doesn't mean it works all the time, but it's still nothing i see anywhere else...)

deg do tend to have this impression of being too serious though why.

That's their image right now. And japanese entertainment industry is all about characters. It's a cheap attempt at giving a sense of individuality that doesn't exist in modern japans daily life. Just look at Kyos new homepage. Ridiculous. It's a shamelessly overdone exploitation of his persona for commercial uses. I don't believe for a second Kyo had any say in this.

that weird chemistry of batteling for songparts and trying to fit the unfitting together really shows in their songs and really still makes them quite unique in my books, which is pretty much the main point why i don't understand the usual claim "they're just your average deathcore/metalcore-band nowadays".

it might be that "language" but it's a whole different kind of music and that's why the songs turn out the weird disfunctional behemoths that they are

(that doesn't mean it works all the time, but it's still nothing i see anywhere else...)

Judging from that they may have had their relationship peak when they wrote "The Marrow Of A Bone"? :D Makes sense for me. I also hear these guys all the time calling the new albums post-WtD "uninspired american metal" or whatever. Personally i think WtD and TMOAB were their most casual rock albums, and i have yet to find any band that makes music like in the last three ones. And I sense if i find one, it might come from europe instead :D

also i think it's  adorable that they have still a "girly" member. it doesn't look bad at all.

i mean i am happy how  the others  turned to be. but i like that one is different lol.

maybe he feels he can't express himself as much as  the others though

I feel that this is the case for why Die also does side stuff (I believe he performed with some band last year. I forget who). Its very apparent that Kaoru is the "dictator " of the musical aspect of the band and while he does leave room for the other members to do their thing on a song, I wouldn't be surprised if they do other projects because they feel they get more room to show that individuality they might not feel they get to show in Diru. Just a hunch.

I think it's not even that. From what I've heard Die has a fair composing part, along with Toshiya, but I think the feeling alone of doing something "else" from time to time lightens things up big time. Dir en grey now dedicated about 17 years of their life to their carreer. Just imagine. 17 years.

who hasn't already should also check out the other members-interviews on that site from ongaku no hitu.

it gives a very clear picture of the bands approach to music and it doesn't seem like blabla to me honestly.

(kyos in particular if i remember correctly)

Thank you so much for pointing out these interviews.  I feels like a real genuine portrayal of how the band feels and operates, and it was very interesting an enlightening for me to read.  It sounds like they have a very uncertain relationship.  I can't imagine collaborating without speaking.

Instead of speaking through words, their best mode of communication is directly through music.  And while they proclaim to be very egotistical, they are humble enough to sacrifice their own visions to develop music that comes out of natural improvisation and collaboration.  It sounds chaotic and interesting, but now it seems clear why they can paint such dark scenery in their compositons.

http://loudwire.com/dir-en-grey-kaoru-ep-album-scream-for-the-truth/

In a new interview with Kaoru he was really digging downy...that's pretty awesome! XD I can only hope that downy will somehow influence Diru's music, cause that would be sweet!

Frankly enough, the "campy" influence of DEG comes through Kaoru (constant nu metal / deathcore riffage, that is).

Frankly enough, the "campy" influence of DEG comes through Kaoru (constant nu metal / deathcore riffage, that is).

as shown through their BGMs, Kaoru probably listens to everything, and he has probably been listening to downy and this kind of band for long. It's not like they are suddenly going to start influencing deg or anything.  And something that actually makes it interesting is how deg is inspired by really different kinds of music: deathcore, prog metal, nu metal, death metal, and everything else

deg's next album is probably going to be just really straightforward, no proggyness, according to interviews, perhaps some sort of withering to death pt 2

if you considered their influences, kyo doesn't even listen to metal if I remember right. He's into Japan, Bauhaus, this kind of stuff. Yet deg still make metal

I sense more simple ish songs like RINKAKU and THE UNRAVELING on this album. Its nice to think that they're toning it down a bit. From DSS to UNRAVELING, that's some pretty boss, heavy, and complex shyt. 

Was I the only one who noticed that whenever Dir en grey were asked about their attempt on the unraveling EP, each member gives a different answer? And it's not that they say "for MY part [...]" They really don't seem to talk with each other very much.