Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Stuff I'm watching this season...

Gangsta - Best show this season and most mature anime I've seen in years. Nearly the entire cast is adults making this a shining light amongst all these polluted shows based on school/VN. I've been dying for another show like Gungrave.

Snow White with the Red Hair - 2nd best this season. Shojo fantasy is always a welcome addition in my list. I'm already liking Shirayuki's character. I know the manga is still ongoing so seeing this listed as 12 eps total got me a little worried.

Gate - I'm a little disappointed the anime toned down the mature content that was presented in the manga. The plot is basically Stargate minus the sci-fi-ness, so it's more of a modern times meets fantasy. I really like the fact that the main hero is a 33 year old man.

God Eater - I've never played the games but based on the few eps so far, it seems like another Attack on Titan anime. The visuals are really interesting. It looks like water color style cell shades kinda mixed in with CG. Considering it's only planned for 12 eps, at the rate it's going, I don't the think show is going to end well.

Durarara!!x2 Ten - It feels like this show has lost its magic from the first one. As with the previous season, it's more of a passive watch than anything.

Still watching...

The Heroic Legend of Arslan - Loving the story and the themes, however the animation budget is all over the place.

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Where the fuck is this last episode? Does Bones even know? At least put it up for streaming!

I agree wholeheartedly with everything. I'm actually finding this season very disappointing, although I think I've gotten more demanding in my anime within the last year. I was about to drop God Eater because of the similarity between Attack on Titan / Black Bullet. I also avoided Overlord because it looks like another generic SAO-inspired shounen and ain't nobody got time fo' dat. On the other hand, I'm still watching Arslan Senki because of the story, because the animation is pretty bad. Almost Garo-levels of bad.

Akagami will be split cour. Second part airing in winter season.

For Kekkai Sensen the problem's that they messed up their editing (probably pacing too) so they had to postpone the episode a week. Because that episode is longer than a regular episode, it didn't fit in the regular block so now they're waiting for a moment where they can actually schedule in the full final episode.

Thanks for the explanation!

I also avoided Overlord because it looks like another generic SAO-inspired shounen and ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

I can go ahead and tell you right now that it's not. I'm actually pretty into it and how it's not really like some of the other shows with the same kind of premises. Even though the whole scenario is something that's really popular (the whole video game world becomes reality thing) they seem to do a really good job of making it their own and making it seem fresh.

This season for me is actually turning out to be pretty good, by far the best season this year so far. My favorites are;

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Seneki

Charlotte

Gakkou Gurashi!

Gangsta.

Himouto! Umaru-chan!

Overlord

Ushio to Tora

theres a few other others that I don't think are to bad either like, Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Ranpo Kitan. Also this doesn't even include returning shows like gatchaman and durarara! and lets not forget dragon ball super which I'm still nerding out over.

So yeah a very strong season in my opinion.

Recently Finished 

Death Parade

Gunslinger Stratos - Thought the plot was messy at the very beginning, but surprisingly they more or less made it work after a couple of revealing episodes. 

The Devil Is A Part Timer - A teenage satan working at mcdonalds trying to make his rent because he’s stuck in the world of the living. This is probably one my most recent favorite comedic animes. I need a second season now. 

Corpse Princess - Saw the trailer a longtime ago, picked up the dvd, it was pretty decent. Thought it was going down a predictable road towards the middle but glad that changed by the end. It was decent, even if the budget for the anime was obvious.

Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? - One of my favorite anime series for the year. Despite the sucky 12 episode run. (De hell is up with all these 12 episode anime runs anyway? No I don’t want to go read the manga. Just finish the damn anime) Basically about adventurers going into a dungeon in order to level up their skills and earn money.

It’s funny because it reminds of me being in a fantasy RPG yet this anime isn’t about being stuck in a virtual reality game or something like that. And it pulls off a lot of things those other virtual game animes tried to do but better. It’s not without fault or cliches, but the good outweighs the bad. Plus there’s some bad ass battles in this.

Watching 

Plastic Memories - Only watched the 1st episode so cant say much about it yet. 

Prison School - This is so hilarious. And those facial expressions  

Ninja Slayer - Just randomly start watching this and I’m glad I did. It’s like a strange hybrid of an adultswim stoner show like Aqua Teen Hunger Force crossed over with traditional anime. Both in comedic taste and in the actual animation, 

tumblr_nmxq7aUipE1roq9zlo1_400.gif

, and even it’s short 13 minute per episode runtime. Plot is nothing special, but it picks up after a couple of episodes. It’s interesting to see Japanese audiences getting into western animation and comedy. Also love the series has featured everything from 80kidz to Boris in its ending credits. 

These infamous still's from episode five of Dragon Ball Super make me lol. There's bad animation quality and then there's this. Last week had some iffy moments and thick black lines but I'm willing to overlook that. This though....

8d9kTJK.jpg

GQYQgY1.jpg

vZDyXFW.png

rBCx139.png

It doesn't look like they spent more than a few minutes on each.

^ looks like it was done on MS paint, heh.

Also, while I think fanservice in anime is generally pretty stupid and unnecessary, I'm finding both 'Shokugeki no Souma' and 'Prison school' hilarious so far.

Recently finished:

Howls moving castle- Still not getting the Ghibli hype and I found this so poor, the animation and art is great but everything else was so lazy, nothing is explained, it just seemed like 'cuz it's magic' was their excuse for not explaining anything.

Magi: The labyrinth of magic It was ok, I liked the setting as well the struggles of those in poverty but the characters were pretty generic, is it worth watching the second season?

D-Frag (rewatch)- Still fantastic and still just as funny, didn't get really serious or lose it's comedy like a lot of recent comedy anime's do

Watching:

Mushishi- Beautiful art and enjoying the episodic style as well as the depth to all the spirits

Gangsta.- LOVING THIS! They're pretty much doing everything right with this, flashbacks are well done with good timing and length as well as filling in the blanks, nice animation as well as a gritty feel to it, every episode leaves me wanting more

The second season of Magi really brings things together. I would say give it a shot and if it doesn't grab you by episode 6 then it's not for you.

Don't know whats up with the dragon ball super stills. What do they not have the budget for it or something? Or could it be that the project was rushed, which I'm founding out is a common thing in japanese anime/film. Mostly film.

So i recently discovered crunchyroll and totally went on some anime binges.

Another  - This is probably one of the best japanese horror/mystery animes i have seen. I can't help but think it might have something to do because it was based on a well received Japanese novel.I don't even want to write a summary because I don't want to give anything away. In any case I love how addicting this thing is. It leaves you wanting more, wanting to find out what, why and who.

Again, I don't know want to say much because I don't want to give away spoilers, but there's a couple of well executed twists. And although i wouldn't really call it a horror anime, it has a very spooky and drab atmosphere and lots and lots of death. The first one was extremely gruesome.  And for once, this a 12 episode anime that actually manages to end without feeling rushed or incomplete. Recommended.

BTOOM - The plot for this had me intrigued. Basically your NEET type anime guy is sent to a island to play a popular online game for real in a deathmatch against others. There are some familiar concepts in this anime but I'm glad they made those concepts their own. You actually learn to care about the main characters and they have decent backstories. The animation and style is also very good. In a lot of ways this show reminded me of an anime version of battle royale, which isn't  a bad thing imo. My only two main gripes are its length, 12 episodes, and something in the actual anime that I can't really say because of spoilers, but I'll just say venom.

Your Lie In April  - And this just became one of my favorite animes of all time. The simple synopsis; a tragic/drama story about a young piano prodigy who stops playing after the death of his mother.  Let me just say there are SO MUCH FEELS in this show. If you think that summary i gave was tragic wait till you actually watch the anime. This a real tear jerker, pulling on your heart strings kind of anime. You would have to be a robot for this show to not evoke emotion out of you. On personal level I found this show to deeply resonate with me, because i was/am going to something similar(but not as tragic) as some of the concepts in this anime and I am violinist/pianist too.

The concepts of guilt, loss, love, depression and adolescence are explored and presented very well. The story is tragic but also has beautiful animation and music. Lots of classical pieces and musical duels. This is as much a drama piece as a musical one. If you're like everyone else, you'll probably be looking up classical music or wanting to go play violin or piano by the time the show ends. Highly recommended. Just be aware, the feels is strong in this one. Be prepared to hold back tears. 

Don't know whats up with the dragon ball super stills. What do they not have the budget for it or something? Or could it be that the project was rushed, which I'm founding out is a common thing in japanese anime/film. Mostly film.

From what I've read and seen Super was quite good in the first 4 episodes, given that a major complaint on episode 5 (bar the poor animation) was that it just went over a lot of stuff that already happened I'm guessing they're already starting the filler lol

I also completely agree with Another, I also like how the gore is done, I find a lot of anime show before and after (danganronpa) whilst Another tends to give you before, now and after

Finished both SAO and SAO2 these past days. Had started both before but never got around to finishing them. These seasons would have been way better if they'd split them in single cour shows than shoving different arcs in a two cour one. Really pulled me out of the story when they did that.

Overall not too great but I didn't expect much anyway.

On a sidenote: don't watch Shokugeki no Soma right before finishing SAO2 because Soma and Kirito will become one.

i'm slightly drunk on caffeine and tiredness so I thought i'd do a very non informative round up jsut after halway through the season round up on ALL the anime i'm watching (i think I got all of them) so prepare. They're in three sections and should be easy to navigate providing I can work out how to get spoilers. If you see a large block of text instead it clearly didn't work and i'm a n00b who needs help with the internet

So anime i'm up to date on:

Akagami no Shirayuki

i'm enjoying this so far, it's lighthearted, not too focused on romance and just a little bit of fresh air tbh

Charlotte

Well this can become heartbreaking all of a sudden. I like how they don't necessarily focus on the powers in order to create some semblance of a plot. There's a lot of things going on here and there's also a no bullshit factor

Danchigai

Mainly because it's short I can just watch it easily, mildly entertaining, probably will forget about it once it's ended tbh

Gangsta

This anime is also a breath of fresh air especially in the current climate. As a lot of people seem to be saying, it's one of my favorites this season. Yes because it offers something new but it's also engaging

Jitsu wa, Watashi wa...

Honestly this is just a little bit of a laugh, started off more interesting but it slowing waaayy the fuck down now and it just keep getting more and more ridiculous. Not really a high reccommend but probably will finish it

Rokka no Yuusha

I like the direction this is taking although I hope they wrap up the current dilemma soon bc it's getting samey. Not really anything new in the world of anime but an enjoyable watch (although the strongest man in the world is getting old)

Shokugeki no Soma

Absolutely hilarious. Ecchi dies down after the first episode and isn't that much of a put off from the actual anime unlike some. One of my faves

Ushio to Tora

I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. Also I like the art in it bc it's different from most of the other recent anime (bc 90s remake). Again obvs nothing new but i'm enjoying the comical take on Tora esp

Wakako-zake

Two minutes per ep? What is there to loose xD

World Trigger

Honestly intriguing and i'll be sad when it's over. Cant wait to see where it's going to go as i've been at it since ep 1

Anime I'm trying to catch up with

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

I spy ouran ahoy xD I guess it'll get more interesting as they move into the tournament. It's refreshing to see this take on a female chara again tho even if there are some identicalites with the aformentioned anime.

Arslan Senki

I can feel this coming to it's climax and as a result i've slowed down a bit with the watching. I've enjoyed the challenges Arslan has had to overcome so far although I feel the outcome will be obvious. I do feel like they do rely too much on Narsus as a safetly net a lot of the time...

Chaos Classroom

It's fun and a ridiculous situation has appeared, what more do you want in an anime xD also it seems to have some good reviews and it didn't put me off at all from the first few eps

Denpa Kyoushi

It gets a little repetitive after a while I guess, but Kagami never seems to loose his charm no matter the ridiculous situation he's in

Durarara x2

Honestly don't know why i've not watched more, but might save it all for the end as there's always so much going on. Love drrr so no complaints tbh

Gakkou Gurashi!

I find I can't watch too much of this anime at once for some reason. But it's one of the more intriguing ones out there for me. I'm wondering how they'll be confronting the delusions eventually and the outcome of that

GATE

This has also lowed to a halt a little bit. I can see it going places but can I be bothered to follow it places....

Himoutou! Umaru-chan

This is also one of my faves, I find her character hilarious and it's just such a lighthearted break from everything else. But so relatable at the same time

Kyoukai no Rinne

This fell by the wayside as the new season crept in. Some of the character tropes are just starting to drag now and it's dragging me down a little with each episode as I feel I know what to expect. Maybe I will continue tho...

Million Doll

It's short and a little interesting... It's not like it takes much time to watch and see where things will be headed so again, why not

Ore Monogatari

This also fell by the wayside, as brilliant as it is I felt it also became a little samey. Will probably finish it bc of cult following reasons

Prison School

Honestly this is absolutely hilarious and just takes some things to the extreme. I love it but can also only watch in small portions. A definite for this season tho

Sore ga Seiyuu

I love these girls and as you've probably seen it's just so lighthearted and welcom in what i'm watching. Probably the next to marathon and catch up

Wakaba Girl

It's alright and also short *broken record*

Anime I will probably drop

Bikini Warriors

Ecchi and a little pointless

Chaos Dragon

I'm not sure why I didn't watch more tbh, I can't remember bc it was a while ago. But is also seems to have pretty crap ratings so *shrugs*

Jokumachi Dandilion

After the first 1.5 eps I just got bored of the characters if i'm honest. I just couldn't really be bothered to watch xD I can't remember the reason but maybe if people rave about it at the end i'll brave through??

Kuusen Madoushi

I barely watched one ep and got annoyed, I think it was one of the last eps to air so I got tired of new anime or smth like that whoops

Overlord

I watched about 1.5 eps of this too and honestly for some reaon I found it so cringy I didn't want to continue watching despite all these raves > <

Ranpo Kitan

Honeslty I like all the stories but some of the portrayal of the femme boy and his best friend annoys me. Their personalitie grate me and some of the way they animate and tell the stories feels like they're mocking me. Also some bits of explanations are so unneccessary and don't fit in with the whole theme. I think i'd rather just read all the original authors books than watch this

Shimoneta

Gah I watched the first ep and so cringy, I'm not sure if I could manage an ENTIRE SEASON

I have a bit of tricky question:

Is "Prison School" worth watching? I haven't caught up with "quality animes" (hint: animes that are less cliche and more favored in the majority) lately so I thought if I could give this IRL recommendation a try - I remember only parts and bits from manga (all I know is that it was quite close to being totes freaky lol). 

I have a bit of tricky question:

Is "Prison School" worth watching? I haven't caught up with "quality animes" (hint: animes that are less cliche and more favored in the majority) lately so I thought if I could give this IRL recommendation a try - I remember only parts and bits from manga (all I know is that it was quite close to being totes freaky lol). 

It is worth it but honestly I would wait for blurays because the tv version is pretty censored... if you don't care about that though I would say go for it! Otherwise just go read the manga instead and wait for the uncensored goodness of the blurays :D

Classroom Crisis had such a boring start but really picked up after that. The politics and manipulation behind the scenes of companies makes it so that no one ever really wins and it's a constant pull and push and questions of "who's going to end up being the winner after all of this?" It's been weeks since the story was mainly about that which it showed at the start. It is Kiryuu's story now, and wow did they mess with that kid's life (and not just his apparently). Two more episodes to go and I'm really curious how it's going to end. It's not popular enough for a second season, but at the same time I wouldn't mind one if it would go on as it does now.

Chaos Dragon is so bad. So so bad.

Still liking Arslan Senki quite a bit though I am wondering what they're going to show for the last 4 episodes and how they're going to deal with the kid that is Hermes. Still sad over Gieve though, even though I know it's "for the best" one way or another.

There is no way Shokugeki no Souma isn't getting a second season.

Almost done with My Love Story and Snow White with the Red Hair. My Love Story has been a wonderful thing to watch with my gf - not much of a plot but so rarely does anime actually have the plot of a serious be where the main characters are ACTUALLY IN A FUCKING RELATIONSHIP. It's just plain fun to watch and one of the cutest shows I've seen (with a genuine cuteness, not moe-blob bullshit). Suna is best dude.

Snow White with the Red Hair started off with an alright first episode, dropped off by the second, but man has it done a great job of building back up. The political aspects of the show feel a bit too soft (cause man, if this were real, the social implications of this show would be sooo much stronger), but it is still really solid.

I feel like these two shows have been doing relationship in anime the way that they -should- be done. Not just a cute girl with a cardboard dude, but giving the characters personalities, wonderful and believable interactions, and growth. Not to say that either of these shows are perfect, they both still lack a degree of depth, but man they feel refreshing compared to your average anime romance shlock.

Finished

Yamada Kun and The Seven Witches - I loved this series. I guess its one third comedy, one third supernatural adventure and one third romance. The whole boy and girl body switching theme intrigued me so I wanted to give this series a shot and I’m glad I did. As it turned out there was a lot more other than just the body-switching theme. Although when it did occur, it was always hilarious to see the outlandish results. It got a bit feely toward the end but not over dramatically. Good stuff. Recommended. 

No 6 - This anime reminded me of The Giver, Fahrenheit 451 and every other dystopian book. It was pretty good. The new age/supernatural ending wasn’t as impactful on me for some reason.

Plastic Memories - Heard a lot of good things about this so i decided to check it out. IMO it was just an average anime. I liked it, but there wasn’t much originality or creatively here. I felt there were a lot of opportunities missed where the anime could have delved deeper into a lot of interesting subject matter, but instead opted to play it safe. I also did not resonant with the 2 main characters relationship, or the ending of the series. This is mostly because you find out from the very first episode one of them is a robot. So for me there was little to no emotional impact because of that. Also made me kinda hate the main character for going after the robot coworker instead of the cute, (and actual human), albeit tsundere, redheaded coworker who was secretly crushing back on them.  

Sword Art Online II - So I finally finished the second season and I will agree with everyone who says the first half of the season is definitely the better half. The rest of the second season is pretty much filler. I did enjoy the second half, but its really not that important to the main story. Still don’t get the hate the series gets as a whole. It’s not perfect but is enjoyable for a large portion. There are a lot worse animes than this series, *cough* Guilty Crown *cough* (Sorry evilcoconut)

Currently watching 

Accelworld - I honestly don’t know how Reki Kawahara can go from doing actually good writing and pacing in this series and then do it really bad when doing Sword Art Online. So obviously he either got lazy or was under some tight time constraints. I haven’t finished watching this series yet, but so far it’s stronger as a whole than the entire first season of SOA. I’m enjoying the story, characters and the whole futuristic virtual reality game theme again.

Masamune Monster Girls - Saw previews for this and couldn’t decided if it was going to be horrible or not so I decided to watch it. So far so good. It’s actually interesting and funny for a harem anime about monster girls. Although if you’re not a fan of harem anime or ecchi then you probably won’t like this series at all. 

Nisekoi - Just discovered this anime and I’m working my way through the first season. Story is nothing new but the animation is great, the writing is funny and it somehow pulls off all the anime cliches that make a series memorable and fun really well without it seeming like a blatant rehash.. Also kirisaki must be one of the greatest tsunderes I have seen in years

With the season ending around this week, I've finished a few series in the past days.

Ranpo Kitan was a fun watch. Interesting visual take on things though they took themselves way more seriously than they should have. It could have been a lot more than it ended up being but apart from that I think it did well. (My issues with the story were more on a personal idea level than it not having been done well enough)

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime is getting a second cour in January, and while I like the adorableness of the series till now I don't really get what else they'll do to keep it somewhat interesting. It's not like there's a rival or anyone going in against them. It's really just a happy feel good series without much of a plot. It could get a bit boring if you don't at least think the characters are pretty cute.

Joukamachi no Dandelion was a fun watch too, though nothing special. It's more episodic and has little things happening here and there, showing the relationships between the siblings as well as them and their friends. The one getting the crown in the end was pretty obvious to me but at least it was the "right decision" if you can even call it such.

Rokka no Yuusha. Well, it was something, that's for sure. Some of the characters are really fun, others are pretty boring. There's not much to say about this series other than the fact I got pretty sick of them going "YOU'RE IT" "NO YOU'RE IT" back and forth for about 10 episodes. Then in the end the one actually being "it" just giving up like that. The worst moment to me ended up being the last few minutes though, where I would have smacked my head into the table if only I didn't have restraint. The series itself was a nice watch but if it's adapted right that means the base material is a drag. Maybe I should read it to see.

Chaos Dragon: AVOID THIS STRAIGHT OUT OF STORYWRITING HELL DISASTER. With all the people involved I expected there to be more to it but it was nothing but a few random character thrown together, trying to make a plot happen. I'll honestly admit I'd been wishing for over half a season for someone to come and kill off the main lead because I was about done with him 5 minutes into the series.

Aoharu no Kikanjuu. Well... it was entertaining... partly just because I really like one of the VAs and he did a great job... partly because it was just brainless entertainment. I expected way more though.

----------

So far this season has been an incredible letdown and with all these series skipping weeks because of delayed episodes and such, the flow broke really easily as well. God Eater is going to end a few episodes early and seemingly with a changed ending because they ran out of weeks to broadcast. Gangsta killed my mood somewhere little over halfway through and I'm not entirely sure why. I do really like Nicolas though. Charlotte pulled in some random plot-mechanisms just for the sake of it. One of those I don't really like to begin with anyway. It could have been pretty good but it ruined it for itself. Classroom Crisis ended up the surprise of the season. First a few horribly boring episodes but it picked up since then and now I'm just really sad it's ending soon ._.

This is just a little idea I came up with, but what if everyone (at least, those who wish to participate) would list the animes they would be watching this season, and after a randomized pairing system, we'd get paired up in duos and 'gift' each other an anime (choosing either 12 or 24 episodes) of this fall's season to watch that is not on your partner's list. It would be a recommendation system of some sort, and it could possibly open us up to new genres or animes we'd otherwise never even look at. 

Done with the following:

Arslan Senki... Good stuff but needs continuation.

Gangsta... You're seriously gonna end like that without a second season announcement?

God Eater... is now under Kekkai Sensen status.

Snow White with the Red Hair... Very good relaxing shojo fantasy. Looking forward to season 2.

Gate... Somewhat entertaining.