Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I agree with your assessment on Garo. It was a good ride, but the kind that took a little too long to get started and also had that weird curveball with his armor and his mother at the end that they didn't explain. I also like Diamond no Ace and I'm hyped for the new season because I don't know what's going to happen. I thought it would be a while until the next season but it's coming out this week! Much excite.

Also do you know how many episodes this second season will cover?

Considering the first season was extended for half a year at some point, I doubt there's already a certainty of how many episodes this one will get. I'd guess it'll get anywhere between 26 and 52 episodes, but if the story picks up again, it could really be anything. The manga has just been on a break for a while and they're heading into the second year, getting new first years and such. It's not ending any time soon. (Though I do think this "year" will be the last one. There will be no meaning to Daiya if they can't win Koshien with the battery that is Eijun/Miyuki. That's what the whole thing started with anyway.)

'phantom: requiem for the phantom'

seems nice so far as it´s able to entertain me despite slow development. but i guess it´s good - hopefully the ending won´t be stretched as in most of the cases

Leave it to captain slow to make that comment 5 years after the mistake has been made :P

So, I've tried watching Attack on Titan, but I manage to fall asleep around the second episode. Sure, it has some things that Kill la Kill had that bothered me, but at least Kill la Kill wasn't trying to be serious. One problem that bothered me the most was the animation quality. Oh look, shaky still screen with speed lines.

'phantom: requiem for the phantom'

seems nice so far as it´s able to entertain me despite slow development. but i guess it´s good - hopefully the ending won´t be stretched as in most of the cases

Actually one of my favorite shows. Second half is a little messy, but I still love it.

Actually one of my favorite shows. Second half is a little messy, but I still love it.

I agree, it was a pleasant surprise and one of my favorites from that year.

Fafner Exodus is more than 13 eps, right?

It's 26 in total, but everyone's confused whether it's going to be split cour or one whole.

Just started rewatching Evangelion with my gf (her first time). I haven't watched it since high school (so like, uhhhh, 8-ish years ago?) so it's a huge nostalgia trip. But man, that English dub is much worse that I remember lol.

some shows are pretty difficult to find subbed. planned watching 'evangelion' too as my friend mentioned it a few days ago. hopefully it won´t be like this.........

Fafner Exodus is more than 13 eps, right?

yeah lot's of confusion going on but it is most definitely gonna be 26 episodes because the official blurays has it listed for 26 episodes. Right now I'm pretty sure it's a split cour though.

Somehow I could not get past episode five of Evangelion, it's still sitting in my list of animes on pause.

Anyway, seeing as I ran out of a lot of things to watch, I am looking for something new this season. I am into more serious or darker plots, definitely not a type for the squealy female lead or slice-of-life animes (with a few exceptions with specific themes) – any recommendations? MAL for reference here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Rocketeer

Somehow I could not get past episode five of Evangelion, it's still sitting in my list of animes on pause.

I don't know if it's considered 'blasphemous' amongst the fanbase, but I'm resorting to watching the remake movies instead of marathoning through the series.

I don't know if it's considered 'blasphemous' amongst the fanbase, but I'm resorting to watching the remake movies instead of marathoning through the series.

I wouldn't call it blasphemous, but I would say it's definitely worth it to at least experience the original series once... there actually are differences between the movies and the TV series.

btw I'm currently reliving my childhood, through watching Digimon Adventure for first time since I was 9 years old, also my first time watching it subbed and wow it's so much better this way, like srsly fuck 4kids, I'm glad they tanked xD

Anyway, seeing as I ran out of a lot of things to watch, I am looking for something new this season. I am into more serious or darker plots, definitely not a type for the squealy female lead or slice-of-life animes (with a few exceptions with specific themes) – any recommendations? MAL for reference here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Rocketeer

Why not check some of the older shows you haven't watched? The only ones I can recommend you check out in this new season are Ghost in the Shell Arise and The Heroic Legend of Arslan.

Most people aren't gonna be able to recommend you stuff from the new season because it technically just started this week so it's kinda too early to say whether anything is worth it yet. I was however looking through your plan to watch list on MAL and there were quite a few really good shows in there. I would say you should check out some of those if you are really starved for something new.

my recommendations would be:

Berserk

Claymore

Ergo Proxy

Mirai Nikki

Mushishi

Natsume Yuujinchou

Those are some of the really solid shows from that list that I consider to be pretty awesome.

I wouldn't call it blasphemous, but I would say it's definitely worth it to at least experience the original series once... there actually are differences between the movies and the TV series.

btw I'm currently reliving my childhood, through watching Digimon Adventure for first time since I was 9 years old, also my first time watching it subbed and wow it's so much better this way, like srsly fuck 4kids, I'm glad they tanked xD

I'll give it a try if I can find it on DVD somewhere. Speaking of Digimon Adventure, I'm happy that they have the subbed version on Netflix. The opening is a lot nicer than the cheesy pseudo-rap thing they tried to do for the English dubbed version.

well..., based on your description it would seem to me that evangelion might be actually the way to go imho... if you do just be sure to scrap the last two episodes for the "end of evangelion" movie. (it's reeally worth the effort, sure the first couple of episodes seem rather dull, but try to give it another chance :D )

other than that i second saku's recommendation for berserk and ergo proxy and would add to the mix

texnolyze

kino no tabi

monster

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (!!)

as for my most recent anime explorations, I just marathoned Shinsekai Yori and i'm floored.

I didn't expect this to be what it turned out to be at all. just upfront it has a few issues, pacing can be a bit bumpy in the first third and also the animation is occasionally a bit cheap. but apart from that wow.

The story sort of throws you just in at the beginning, and you have to puzzle the parts of this world together by yourself, which is very appreciated. in general you just sort of understand that people have a kind of power like telekinesis. The world itself seems a bit old-japan-esque and thats about it. you then follow a group of six children (age twelve or so) at their education in sage school for two or three episodes, while some fables get introduced, that serve as a bit of horror and also a bit of mythical backstory maybe, but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

you get your first bit of exposition dump by episode four or so and it's all downhill from there on. I don't want to spoil too much, but worth mentioning is that there are a couple (3?) of time-skips that are crucial to the story and you don't have to deal with 12year olds for more than the first 7 episodes.

The most amazing thing about this show in general was, how the whole show at all times maintains an overwhelming feeling of unease and helplessness while it's perfectly clear that things are not quite right (they manage to maintain this vibe even in one particular episode that at first glance might seem more like out of a KDrama^^). At the same time the story is of course told by characters that only know this particular setting, so this discrepancy is quite interesting. 

weirldy enough the animation style reminds more of shoujo type anime which isn't particularly known for depressing dark themed shows and i'm usually not that big a fan of, but here it adds even further to the fascination that i have for this.

perhaps this one might be a suggestion for you too @rocketeer :P

Edit: also the music is A+

Shinsekai Yori has been on my want to watch list for a while now. I just don't have the time to consume as much anime as I would like, so sadly I think it is going to end up on the back burner for a while XD

I can't find a torrent for Berserk that actually downloads. I could download the 35GB 1080p version but I don't actually have space for this at the moment, hah.

I can't find a torrent for Berserk that actually downloads. I could download the 35GB 1080p version but I don't actually have space for this at the moment, hah.

Here you go: http://bakabt.me/164823-kenpuu-denki-berserk-g-p-bd-720p-10-bit-flac.html

you gonna have to make an account and seed though, it's a private tracker and they do the whole ratio thing like JPS but with anime... but they have tons of different series all in high quality and usually from DVD and BD sources. honesty one of the best places on the web to find completed series in HQ.

How is this a dude? This is Arslan Senki btw.

1zldqgo.jpg

Maybe we'll figure it out in a few episodes.

Also, the kid's 12-14, he looks his age at least.

^ I'm gonna assume you misunderstood my comment there. What I meant was, how is that character a GUY when they portray him in the most feminine art style. If I show that screencap to people who have never seen of heard of the show, they immediately think it's a chick.

^ I'm gonna assume you misunderstood my comment there. What I meant was, how is that character a GUY when they portray him in the most feminine art style. If I show that screencap to people who have never seen of heard of the show, they immediately think it's a chick.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but maybe he is actually a she and that's gonna be a plot twist later on... totally possible XD

I didn't misunderstand. I really meant what I said as in "He's 12 at the start. Whether he looks a boy or a girl doesn't really say much. It might change as he becomes older in the series."

That doesn't mean I don't agree with you though.