CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

time to shake things up:

~as much as I love An cafe, theyre not VK (oshare kei but not in the same category as Dadaroma, seriously )

~ Alice Nine/A9, The Gazette and Daizystripper's newer music just don't feel like them anymore. It just sounds mass produced (ie the manager's album not the band)

~ I think the Gazette has turn into money hungry assholes (their clothing line , black moral is just too expensive)

~ having a dad who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, when I see Akane (DID), I just wanna hug him.

~ Some VK bands seem to think they're X-Japan level Gods despite having one album out.

~ Groups that has been here for less than 4 years acting like drama queens is just sad :(

~ Ikuma (Reign, formerly AND eccentric agent) and Nimo (A-ace and 4heads or whatever they call themselves) I would go out and have dinner with.

~ Nocturnal Bloodlust singing Taylor Swift song, just .dont. NB.just.dont.do.that.again.OMG

~ I like golden bombers music but hate the fact they're insanely popular (like the richest band level) yet Sho is the only musician in the band

~ I hate the fact they're considered Visual Kei to.....

~ Lycaon and  Femme Fatale's break up. WHY? COME BACK SATOSHI!!!! I MISS THAT SLASH HAT. Kick Iori out, keep the tunes (or bring back Schwartz Stein)

~  as much as it may make me seem like a turd, Honestly the first thing that lures me in as a soon to be fan is how the band looks. The cute one will make me search their songs, the hunksicle will make me buy their album even if their music makes no sense. I base bands off their looks at first. The music keeps me glued to their YT channels. (Which explains why so many bands I end up hearing about and loving is AFTER they've disbanded)

~ I'm a sucker for watching 23 minute long YT videos of VK guys from Goemon/BP/DCR records doing stupid shit and not knowing wtf any of them are saying. Seriously, I've watched Visual Baka and just wanna pinch Mei's (Dog in the PWO) cheeks

~ I have illegally downloaded a ton of band albums/minis/maxis/singles. Mainly cos the bands either disbanded, the album is no longer available or I dont wanna spend $20-30 on 3 songs.

~ Musicians from good bands go to much crappier bands after a disbandment/ leaving D:

~ and lastly,  good new bands disbanding while generic/crappy/lost its spark/bands I once loved are still around. (eyes SuG, The Gazette, Jupiter, and some more)

time to shake things up:

~as much as I love An cafe, theyre not VK (oshare kei but not in the same category as Dadaroma, seriously )

It was never said (like, never EVER) they were VK xDDD lmao they are oshare since day one.

It was never said (like, never EVER) they were VK xDDD lmao they are oshare since day one.

making sure they stay Oshare level XD 

Kameleo's the same way, theyre not visual kei per se :S

^ No offence, but this is getting really strange. Sounds like oshare is a separate genre now.

I always though that

Visual kei is genre that requires 2 components: flashy looks (hairstyles, make up, costumes) + music itself. And here we go - as a musical genre vk contains a big variation of musical directions. It's really hard (and no particular need) to divide it into subgenres, but there are actually styles that have common characteristics that allow to unite them into separate subgenre.

Oshare kei is one of most obvious visual kei subgenres, which is characterized mostly by positive music and vivid looks. 

So I wanna hear opinions why oshare is not part of vk anymore.
Thanks.

No offence, but this is getting really strange. Sounds like oshare is a separate genre now.

I always though that

Visual kei is genre that requires 2 components: flashy looks (hairstyles, make up, costumes) + music itself. And here we go - as a musical genre vk contains a big variation of musical directions. It's really hard (and no particular need) to divide it into subgenres, but there are actually styles that have common characteristics that allow to unite them into separate subgenre.

Oshare kei is one of most obvious visual kei subgenres, which is characterized mostly by positive music and vivid looks. 

So I wanna hear opinions why oshare is not part of vk anymore.
Thanks.

The way I understood it, visual-kei is a big umbrella which has several sub-scenes, including but not limited to oshare-kei, nagoya-kei, kotekote-kei, etc. So for example all oshare bands are visual but not all visual bands are oshare. I just see them all as different flavors of visual-kei. I have heard of some more esoteric *-keis which describe the mannerisms of how they dress, but I have never heard anyone claim that these sub-kei's are completely separate from visual kei.

I'm sorry, but what the hell is even going on here?

Honestly, as long as a band doesn't say they no longer identify with the visual kei scene, like DIR EN GREY and L'Arc~en~Ciel did - if you start out in the scene and still keeps your roots in it, you are a VK band. Even GACKT every once in a while says he's a VK artist. I wish people would keep this in their minds more often.

There's not an oshare-kei scene. Zeus said it perfectly - visual kei is a big umbrella that holds several different kinds of music and, for the most part, looks. AN CAFE, for example, started out in the scene, grew in popularity by playing in events with other VK bands and appearing in every kind of media directed to fans of the scene, were part of a VK label for years, etc. One of the cool things about VK for me was always the fact that there's always tons of different kinds of bands who, despite being completely different from each other, still play together for the same audience - the VK audience. Example: that huge visual kei festival (V-ROCK FESTIVAL) that took place years ago. Just check the list of artists who played there.

tl;dr, it's not a matter of opinion, it's all VK.

Maybe I've been confused about the Vk meaning.  Most of the time when people mention viusal kei they're referring to harder bands like The Gazette, Dadaroma, Dir en Grey, Born,etc. In visual baka on yt these bands are the rock-is levels (like Royz) The "Looking like popstars but rocking out" Always seemed like to me,  they group the same sound to each other (Dog with Buglug, Codomo Dragon with Royz,etc) o.o

Maybe I've been confused about the Vk meaning.  Most of the time when people mention viusal kei they're referring to harder bands like The Gazette, Dadaroma, Dir en Grey, Born,etc. In visual baka on yt these bands are the rock-is levels (like Royz) The "Looking like popstars but rocking out" Always seemed like to me,  they group the same sound to each other (Dog with Buglug, Codomo Dragon with Royz,etc) o.o

this source might not be the best but i literally just googled "visual kei subgenres" and it was the 1st thing that popped up. it might help you. if you are still confused you can read about it around the internet.

https://homelessvisualkids.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/a-look-into-visual-kei-subgenres/

there are bands that strongly dress and sound a certain way - like oshare kei bands. some bands of course end up changing the way they dress or sound but, until they say they arent, they are still visual kei.

edit: lmao i just checked the link i just posted.... Versailles = Lolita kei???never mind my link....... off to wiki you go http://visualkei.wikia.com/wiki/Visual_Kei

I enjoyed Perestroika more than Nega. (and I liked Nega!)

what was the purpose of perestroika anyway

People expecting "DIM 2.0" from DOGMA was probably one of the most illogical things I've seen in quite sometime. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out that since DIM came out, the GazettE has found a standard sound that they're (or should I say, Ruki) is "comfortable" with and alter as time goes by. Its more or less like a Lynch. album these days. You can always find those standard, updated staple songs. And then you'll find the juicy, new "wow" tracks that show growth. Surely, after TOXIC, DIVISION, and Beautiful Deformity, the hope would be that this would be realized. It's apparent that it wasn't.

I agree that DOGMA, while i enjoy it, had its flaws. There is a clear lack of Distinction between Aoi and Uruha's Guitar parts. Reita has faded into mediocrity, and the composition on a lot of the tracks has a samey feel to it. At the same time, there were pretty cool newer tracks such as DERACINE, GRUDGE, DOGMA, and OMINOUS.  I also feel like a lot of the backlash that the album gets is purely because it wasn't "DIM 2.0." If DOGMA did end up becoming DIM 2.0 then the criticism would be "its been done before." Its like people wanted the band to take a step back to 2009, just to please them. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, It doesn't work that way.

I'm actually pretty happy that DOGMA turned out the way it did because hopefully dreams of DIM 2.0 were shattered. If you want DIM, go listen to it. And hell, the band pretty much did everyone who enjoyed their previous works a HUGE favor by dropping that Fanclub live which features very well executed newer renditions of many of those songs. The DIM performances are amazing. 

I heard none such tracks on DOGMA. I haven't heard any growth from them since Stacked Rubbish.

NIL and Stacked Rubbish to this day, remain on the top of my favorite GazettE albums ever. There was just so much creativity and energy back then.

pre-oshare oshare is fucking awesome

LOL WUT

Aldious' new album is pretty good. Just get rid of the pop tracks.

Oh and mejibray are terrible.

That is all.

Coderebirth is the only STRAIGHT UP Japanese metalcore band worth listening to.

Lycaon - dark night is better than all of giru's new mini album...... dammm

If satsuki is so freaking good? why did Yuuki just slay his whole entire life (till the world ends remix reference). And unlike him, his solo debut was fucking fire while he threw shade at his haters, cause he is smart like that.

Glay fucking sucks. Always have, always will. They're the kale of visual kei.

i think i just peed rotfl