hiroki

Ongakusenkasha (publisher of SHOXX) files for bankruptcy

It's not a matter of info being avaliable online that made it go bankrupt.

SHOXX was like those gossip magazines. You buy it more because of the posters and exclusive photoshoots than the articles itself.

SHOXX, Cure, etc, are the kind of publications you buy more for the visual aspects than what's written on it.

If I want to stay up to date with what's going on in VK I'll check the internet, but buying mags is a mattet of having acess to high-quality and exclusive pics and they made many cool af photoshoots.

It's A shame to see them go, really .

Damn, it's understandable why another printed magazine is going out of business and everything in today's modern  technology-driven world, but I really like those posters that came with the odd issues :(

Edited by Silverhawk33

16 hours ago, echo said:

Omg I just saw bandmen posting about this on twitter!! I was hoping that I was misreading it (read the article like 3-4 times) 。゚(。pдq。)゚。

They said a lot of it had to do with the rise of info being available online and whatnot now yeah? The internet is a blessing and a curse... ><

I still can't believe it... granted I haven't bought a SHOXX magazine in years but... T_T

If they got an amazing band on the cover I'd buy it... I think that's what most people get it for anyway... To see their favorite band on the cover and their spread in the magazine...

Then again people also buy one of those and post it online too so maybe that's also a cause? IDK but I think they should've stopped production way before they let it get that bad

The release of the VA album "SHOCK WAVE CD Edition. 7" has been rescinded. Fans who have preordered and completed payment through SHOXX's webshop are requested to contact City Law Offices at 03-3580-0123

Edited by hiroki

1 hour ago, Yukimoto said:

If they got an amazing band on the cover I'd buy it... I think that's what most people get it for anyway... To see their favorite band on the cover and their spread in the magazine...

Then again people also buy one of those and post it online too so maybe that's also a cause? IDK but I think they should've stopped production way before they let it get that bad

Thats true. I pretty much only ever bought it if my bands were being featured. I think the sharing of it online was a big factor, but yeah they definitely should've stopped production or changed their marketing plans or something before it ended up like this. They could've tried to make it more easily accessible for foreign fans maybe. That's part of the reason why we shared it online I think. 

It's really sad news but to be honest I have only 2 copies of Shoxx, just too many bands I don't like kept appearing in the Shoxx over and over again.

I buy magazines not only for the cover but when there are many bands I like are in it (jup, for special shoots/photos) Cure does a very good job in it, also nice that the cover artists interview are translated to English.

I also really love Stuppy because of the many nice photos and the ''fun'' columns in it. I mean, who doesn't want to know how many candy your fav bandmember can hold in 1 hand. Or the which tummy belongs to these certain bandmembers puzzle. And it's different each copy. (Ah don't forget the drawings! Shoxx had them too if I remember correctly..?)
It's gonna be weird to not recieve an email from CDJapan that the new issue is available for pre-ordering....

6 hours ago, echo said:

Thats true. I pretty much only ever bought it if my bands were being featured. I think the sharing of it online was a big factor, but yeah they definitely should've stopped production or changed their marketing plans or something before it ended up like this. They could've tried to make it more easily accessible for foreign fans maybe. That's part of the reason why we shared it online I think. 

So true like you can order it online like an online magazine... easily accessible to all

I think maybe they might have been trying to do something online. I have a friend who worked with shoxx sometimes and he was talking to me about proofing articles before he posted them but the app never launched... I did a poll about it some years ago but not many people answered 

if magazines were still being scanned like back in THA OLD (Livejournal) DAYS then i'd believe scans being shared online might be the cause because back then you'd have scans of the ENTIRE magazine... but lately you'll see here and there scans of bands that are popular overseas (meji, diaura, etc) that probably have more pages and even those bands its not always that their stuff will get scanned.

those magazines still have value....unless someone who bought the magazines would throw the interviews on the internet i see no reason that would stop fans (especially japanese fans) from buying other than...them losing interest in magazines lmao

Edited by seurong

VK magazines have been closing shop for the last few years, FOOL's MATE, Zi:/Zy.Connection (at least I can't find anything new from Zy for quite a while?)... now SHOXX. It's sad but the internet and dwindling popularity of the scene in general are to blame. I think most magazines that haven't transitioned into an online medium or at least hybrid are suffering everywhere so this just seems like its continuing the trend. :/ 

Yeah I agree... even outside of VK. Magazines in general have kind of taken a plummet because everything is going digital. I also feel that since the artists have so many social media outlets now... They're more accessible to learn about. Not saying that it means a good interview isn't worth paying for... but maybe some people feel like nah I don't need to buy that... I'm friends with the guy on facebook, or I follow him on twitter. 

I mean both of these social media outlets are freakishly great ways for fans to feel like they're really following the artists life style. Unfortunately many fans care more about that than what inspired them to pick up a guitar, what brand of instrument they prefer, or what their thought process is about release xyz that's coming out. 

But before all this social media fb instagram twitter stuff... it wasn't as easy to learn about your fav person amirite?

That's just a small theory of a small portion of why this is going under... but... yeah.

Oh, it's sad. Being a huge kein fan, I've collected all their old issues with interviews and live reports of kein and later some issues from the deadman period. 

Some of my most favorite kein photo shootings were published exclusively in this magazine, so it's quite nostalgic.

Surely for the last 10 years they haven't published anything about the bands i like, but still i have only warm feelings towards this magazine. R.I.P.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:35 PM, sads123 said:

IKR. Ziggy was on the cover of the 1st issue.

It was actually Morishige Juichi, the vocalist of ZIGGY, soloing the first cover, but close enough.

I was talking about this the other day with my boyfriend how I was surprised that SHOXX was still around but Fool's Mate and Arena 37C went belly up.  I've been subscribing to SHOXX for the past 2 years, so I'm really surprised about the announcement since usually they start scaling back all of the stuff they put in the magazines before going belly up.  My latest issue of SHOXX is just as thick as my issue #4 that has Sceana on the cover and my issue that has the Zi:Kill x BY-SEXUAL on the cover.  I would have thought CURE would be going out before SHOXX just from the magazine size and paper quality that CURE downsized in the past two years.  SHOXX had a great 25 year run.