Ikna

lost.fm

I'm genuinely surprised that there isn't a good alternative to last.fm out there. Unless they have some sort of patent on scrobbling or something, it seems like now would be a pretty good time to start one up.

I'm just going to quote myself from a few pages back.

If last.fm started like that it would have been an amazing, revolutionary service. It might have actually succeeded at it's original goals if they combined the machine learning with the radio so it would try to infer things you would like Pandora-style. But now we have Pandora and Spotify so it's too late to the party to matter. This is why I said that scalable architecture and software engineering is an art form (and I'm sure you agree).

The trick now is to decouple several terabytes of artists and track data, assign them some new IDs, and then decouple songs, give those new IDs, and then assign them to the right artists. This probably falls into the category of intractable problems that are easy to describe and difficult to implement. Though if they can't get this update sorted out sooner rather than later this may not even matter...

There's a bit more to this though. To provide an equivalent service to last.fm you need these few things at least:

• Programmers that won't push broken updates.
  • Infrastructure which manages albums, songs, and artists in a scalable way.
  • Terabytes of hard drive space to hold information of user's listening habits over several years (and people to manage them!).
  • Their own scrobbler which does the same thing as the last.fm scrobbler
  • Services which take in user listening habits and spit out valid recommendations
  • A legal team for when penultimate.fm skirts the law a little too close and someone want bribe money bribe money to compensate their lost copyright earnings.

All of this would be required at a minimum to replicate just the statistics functionality of last.fm. Let's not even get into the internet radio and community aspect to the whole site. That's a lot of money and many difficult problems to solve. Companies have moved to a cheaper model where they keep all the music, then keep track of what you listen to and grant you stats and recommendations that way and for most people that's "good enough". For the rest of us nerds there was last.fm. Was.

I tried to log in on the new site for do that, but I'm always redirect to "502 bad gateway"

Ah that's a shame.

Is this on mobile or computer?

I tried to logon on chrome mobile, it seems fine.

But maybe that's because the browser cache.

Ah that's a shame.

Is this on mobile or computer?

I tried to logon on chrome mobile, it seems fine.

But maybe that's because the browser cache.

Both,

Some users are having problems to log in, lastfm's twitter already noticed that, but...

Can't even log in, all I'm left with is staring at my profile trying to figure what went wrong and how do I try to save this train wreck of a page I have now. But I can't log in!

I too will stay. Despite the shit last.fm have pulled off with this half arsed action. But I really like my stats and couldn't dare to close my account. I rather let it die with the site. And call me crazy, but I still have some tiny little hope left for the site (or an alternative), even if it's just really small. But I really needed last.fm's huge database on bands no one has ever heard of except for maybe 1 or 2 people. And there is really no replasement for that yet. And it was really nice to go through others scrobbels to find new bands.

The band picture issue is a shame though, because I also like how last.fm was a nice place to collect bandpics.

Also I am glad that I have bookmarked all the bands (and their bandpages) I am interested in, instead of tagging them. Though it could be that the 0 plays artists might return, once they have re-installed the tags.

I'm also too addicted to my stats to jump ship just yet.  Though, if they don't give me back my 100+ artists that they deleted from my library, Idkkkkkkk. :<<

There is a topic on the "support" pages asking for the return of the "add to my library" button and restoring the old libraries. The staff did not leave a message but simply tagged the topic with NOT PLANNED

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/respect-the-add-to-my-library-button-and-restore-in-some-way-our-old-library

FUCK these fuckers. This is like a movie or tv-shows related website where you can maintain a watchlist and your list suddenly disappears because someone with the brain capacity of some plankton said "ah well, fuck it *presses delete*".

Same thing they did with the customizable user sidebar. To have the nerve to nerf it and replace it with a plain text Twitter-length message of 200 chars maximum is fucking absurd. I hope they get a lot more bad press for this. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:o so all of you guys resigned from the website?

I'm keeping it for a few days until I have made up my mind on using either RateYourMusic or Discogs as replacement because in my enthusiasm for RYM I almost forgot Discogs exists too and that may be more convenient for me personally. The thing is there is no definite alternative for last.fm (libre.fm doesn't look too good) so one will have to settle for something that's going to be different... just the question is, which one

Anyhow I'm definitely not staying at disaster.fm

There is a topic on the "support" pages asking for the return of the "add to my library" button and restoring the old libraries. The staff did not leave a message but simply tagged the topic with NOT PLANNED

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/respect-the-add-to-my-library-button-and-restore-in-some-way-our-old-library

FUCK these fuckers. This is like a movie or tv-shows related website where you can maintain a watchlist and your list suddenly disappears because someone with the brain capacity of some plankton said "ah well, fuck it *presses delete*".

Same thing they did with the customizable user sidebar. To have the nerve to nerf it and replace it with a plain text Twitter-length message of 200 chars maximum is fucking absurd. I hope they get a lot more bad press for this. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm keeping it for a few days until I have made up my mind on using either RateYourMusic or Discogs as replacement because in my enthusiasm for RYM I almost forgot Discogs exists too and that may be more convenient for me personally. The thing is there is no definite alternative for last.fm (libre.fm doesn't look too good) so one will have to settle for something that's going to be different... just the question is, which one

Anyhow I'm definitely not staying at disaster.fm

I'm not too hopeful that they'll bring back the "add to my library" and I think maybe that's where the "not planned" thing is on, as noted by a commenter.  I'm trying to be optimistic that they'll at least restore the data of people's libraries though. =/

Right now I'm super irritated at albums that I KNOW had cover art before this stupid release, but are now empty and we can't modify them. :<

The weird thing is that my desktop scrobbler shows the previously correct amount of artists, but both profiles show the same amount of scrobbles and the scrobbler isn't updating with the new artists I've added so Idk.

I can't understand why they are fixing minor issues first, like loving tracks or the shoutbox. I can't care less for those features at the moment, they should actually get scrobbling fixed for every device first before beginning their maintenance on things that are currently irrelevant and don't majorly affect your usage.

/\

Maybe is more easy to them take care from minor issues :)

Yes, it's easier — but it shouldn't be their priority currently. It's like they're just stalling ahead again, this can take months before the website is actually fully functional, and then we aren't even speaking of visual issues yet.

I don't understand why people are deleting their accounts. I don't think Last.fm as a whole cares what users are doing - deleting accounts and bitching in their community. To me Last.fm is all about my past scrobbling. To keep track of all the music i've listened to for the past 12 years. It's an interesting thing to me and as long as I can continue to scrobble and see what i've listened to years ago, I do not care what they do.

I don't understand why people are deleting their accounts. I don't think Last.fm as a whole cares what users are doing - deleting accounts and bitching in their community. To me Last.fm is all about my past scrobbling. To keep track of all the music i've listened to for the past 12 years. It's an interesting thing to me and as long as I can continue to scrobble and see what i've listened to years ago, I do not care what they do.

I mean, I'm pissed that they ruined the simplicity of the site that seemed, to me anyway, geared towards stats and finding new bands, with some kind of Spotify/Myspace travesty, but I agree with the rest.  I can't just delete my account bc then my stats are gooooone.  Even when I changed accounts, I didn't delete my old one.

Yep, that's me.