Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

So I watched the first 2 episodes of Noragami and I'm digging it so far! I had a few genuine laughs so far, so that's a good sign - everything looks promising. Once again I have to thank sai for having such impeccable taste in Entertainment! :love:

The anime has an anime only end but they did it well imo. There was a hint that we might be getting a second season though so I hope they do it. There's this whole part in the manga that would just be awesome when animated.

Edit: Just started Captain Earth from the new season. Five minutes in and I was already lost. I have no clue why I'm so lost with mecha series but this one's first episode was so nice. Same studio as Eureka Seven and although I get Star Driver vibes too, I hope it goes more into the Eureka Seven way. Art and designs were so nice.

^ You're getting Star Driver vibes because it's actually done by the same exact team that did Star Driver so yeah.

Finally the long awaited part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders is here and I have to say it's looking sexier than ever. David Productions has done an amazing job with the animation in this first episode you can really tell that their budget has increased since part 1 and 2 which most likely means the first two parts sold pretty well. Sadly there's no OP or ED yet but that will just make the next episode even more badass! Also the pacing in this first episode was done extremely well, I'm hoping maybe we'll get a 3 Cour season this time... fingers crossed :lol:

^ You're getting Star Driver vibes because it's actually done by the same exact team that did Star Driver so yeah.

I know, that's why I mentioned Eureka Seven too, as it's still the same studio. So I hope that rather than being another Star Driver, they'd go into a different direction with a better script this time around.

Actually I just watched it and yeah I agree it was pretty nice! Another new show that is standing out so so far is Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, it seems to have some pretty good quality so far. I also watched Seikoku no Dragonar but it seems to be more of the generic type fantasy show than anything else, although I really didn't have any real issues with the first episode.

Will continue to watch more of the new shows tomorrow, One in particular that I'm interested in is Haikyuu!! I don't think I've ever seen a Volleyball sports anime so I wonder how it will turn out... Hopefully it won't be too ridiculous and out there, but even if it is I'll still probably dig it XD 

i really like the Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei manga, so im looking forward to that one.

Already watched selector infected WIXOSS and Haikyuu. Haikyuu is pretty much just a volleyball version of Kuroko no Basuke,s o im going to continue that for sure.

First selector infected wixoss wasnt too good yet, but its just 12 episodes and it was ok enough, so probably going to continue that too.

Planning to watch quite a few animes this season. seems like a good one.

Just finished Haikyuu and it actually reminded me more of a volleyball version of I'll (There's only an OVA for the manga but I loved the manga a lot) in the sense that it's two kids who claim themselves to be rivals yet end up on the same team anyway. They're both good players, but as a duo they are unbeatable. Which is pretty much the premise for Haikyuu isn't it? Now unless they start with all the weird attacks like in Kuroko, I'd say Haikyuu is a little bit more "real". For now.

Either way, I really liked that one.

Tried Baby Steps but it's really not my thing. Mahouka is on the list to watch but I can't bring myself to it today.

didnt know about I'll, sounds really interesting. might read that later.

Well hard to say. its a shonen jump manga at least. the manga is currently at around chapter 100 and kuroko was still more or less "realistic" back then too. But yes so far theres not really any superpowers, but it could happen later on.

Baby Steps  was ok so far. Already know the manga, so kinda knew what to expect. I guess i like it , because its a good change after Prince of Tennis.

didnt know about I'll, sounds really interesting. might read that later.

Well hard to say. its a shonen jump manga at least. the manga is currently at around chapter 100 and kuroko was still more or less "realistic" back then too. But yes so far theres not really any superpowers, but it could happen later on.

Baby Steps  was ok so far. Already know the manga, so kinda knew what to expect. I guess i like it , because its a good change after Prince of Tennis.

If you're going to read I'll in hopes of lots of matches, you'll be disappointed though. It's more about the two leads, their lives and why they play, as well as how the lives of the team members make the team. But yeah, I really liked it. Still need to read a few chapters, but I know the ending already and it's a fun read. (I wish it would get a full cour anime but we're a few years late for that :/ the ova is just a small part near the beginning)

And that's true. That's also why I added "for now." This is anime/manga, this is Japan, this is a place where anything can happen. For me it's more towards I'll right now, but at the same time I can feel the Kuroko-ness too. It's probably somewhere in-between. Which is a good thing.

Well I finally got around to doing a top ten 2013 anime list since a few of the shows I was waiting on ended a week or two ago... I did this mostly for fun so if anybody wants to do there own feel free to go ahead, you can use these charts here if your memory needs a little refreshing.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S ( :4.0:)
I love the Toaru Index series to death and when it comes to the spinoff series Railgun I love it quite a bit too, Index will always be my preferred show but Railgun does a good job of fleshing out one of my favorite side characters from the series. There's just not much to hate here... I especially liked this season over the first since it went more in depth into the sisters arc which was apart of Index but really wasn't explained very well from Makoto's standpoint, So we finally get to see a lot cool stuff from the events leading up to the awesome Kamijou vs Accelerator fight. Overall it's good and worth the watch if you've seen the first season, now only if they would hurry up and give us Index season 3

Kingdom 2 ( :4.0:)
It's no secret that I'm a huge history anime nut... I love shows that take place in bygone eras in time and work real historic events into the story and setting. Kingdom is just that, usually you see historic anime doing time periods that are significant in Japan and set there as well.. there's nothing wrong with that but usually it's over saturated with shows set in the Sengoku era, so when a show like this comes around that's set in the Warring States Period of ancient China (475-221 BCE) It really gives you that breath of fresh air feeling. I'm in love with this show. I don't really know why I like it so much, maybe it's the action maybe it's the art maybe it's the really cool and unique setting... most likely it's all of these things and then some. This season does an even better job than the first in a lot of different areas, the animation has seen a step up as well has the art which are both welcome additions. Xin as a character has really started to develop and is finally starting to get the achievements he deserves, the end of this season indicates there will be a third season soon and I couldn't be happier about that, This show is pretty under-appreciated, it deserves better in my opinion.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen ( :4.5:)
Third season of possibly my favorite series in the past five years. Kami Nomi is a show that pulls at the heart strings and makes you care about the characters a great deal. There's romance, comedy, action, tons of funny situations that crop up due to Keima's "conquests". One thing that this show accomplishes that I can't say I've ever seen another show do is at it's core it is an Harem show revolving around Keima who is pretty much the only male (significant) character but it doesn't resort suggestive situations involving the girls (panty shots, naked scenes, ect.) This absolutely not an "Echii" show. Instead it uses genuine emotions to get the point across coupled with really good comedic writing. Now that doesn't make the girls any less cuter, there are some really great girls in this show. and the character development is amazing as usual in this series I'm always impressed with how much they are able to develop the characters and make you care in just a short season. This is the third season and it changes up the formula a bit by advancing the plot a ton with the "Goddesses" and the evil hell faction (forgot the name) definitely makes for a good season.

Gin no Saji: Silver Spoon ( :4.0:)
Ah now we are at my favorite slice of life show in recent times, Silver spoon does an exceptional job at taking a subject like Japan's agriculture business and does a beautiful job at working it into a show. Most things about agriculture if not all in this show are true and I even learned some things I didn't know. Also the way it portrays the hardships and struggles of the industry are also very much a real thing and the writer of the manga does a great job at making that come through in the story. Now the agriculture is just part of the plot, the real story is about Hachiken and his problems. Hachiken is a very relatable character and many of the things he is going through in the show are real issues with the youth in and outside of Japan, once again the mangaka does a great job at taking these issues and making a character that's going through these things and still able make it seem believable. Pretty much this is a feel good show with a believable setting, characters, and story. It teaches you things that you probably didn't know and the characters are what drives the show. The only thing that doesn't seem to be anything special is the soundtrack but with everything else coming together so nicely I can look past that.

Kyousou Giga ( :4.5:)
This show is unique and interesting, not to much more to say about it than that.. the art is amazing, the animation is decent, and the characters are great. The story and setting is by far the most interesting part of the show taking inspiration from Japanese folklore and Buddhist tales. it incorporates these folklore and tales in a way that makes the show have great cultural significance. I would recommended watching the live action episode 5.5 where a few of the voice actors actually take a trip to Kyoto and a showcase a lot of the real life landmarks and places that are used in the show and touch upon the Japanese folklore used in the show as inspiration. I greatly enjoyed this show and it is one of the most unique shows I've experienced in a while.

Nagi no Asukara ( :4.0:)
This one is a character driven romance drama with a interesting almost semi fantasy setting. It's also another show that is mostly character driven and does a great job of developing the characters a lot in it's 26 episodes. The romance is interesting because of all the different problems that arise that affect it. The show's biggest strength is how the characters interact with each other and that is what drives the plot as a whole. I liked a lot of things about this show, but the one thing that just captivated me and still does even right now at the time of this writing is the art. OMG the art is spectacular is this show, everything about it is just beautiful. Some of the backdrops where the camera pans out into the background are gorgeous ( like this shot or this one) overall the best looking show of 2013 I think. I'm not gonna go in depth with the plot but it's good and has weight to the events happening.

Kill la Kill ( :4.5:)
Well this one doesn't really need an introduction and I'm not gonna sit here and write about it because chances are you've seen it and love it as much as I do, and if you haven't then chances are you either have bad taste or are on the "sexist" bandwagon. I'm eagerly awaiting the ova coming out this September so I can finally see more of my waifu Satsuki-chan (the best girl) with short hair and a sun dress! (AKA my ideal girl)

Golden Time ( :4.0:)
Alright this show has hate, it's a Romcom with more emphasis on the romance. People hate it because of the characters which I think is not justified because I think the characters are great and make for a very good romance story but whatever. Lots of people say the the main love interest is annoying and that's why they hate the show and while it's true that Koko is fucking annoying, needy, clingy, and stalkerish that's only true at the beginning and she actually does develop and get better with time. The same goes for the MC who people don't really like for a separate set of reasons but I'm not going into that because it would give too much of the story and plot away. Bottom line this is a good romance show and is worthwhile to watch. If I had to sum up this show in one statement it would be "Love hurts" and that's the most true sentiment for this show.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising ( :5.0:)
Awesome, amazing, and inspiring. The nostalgia and feels is strong with this one. Boxing anime at it's finest and they doing it up real good. My favorite "sports" show ever. Now hopefully I won't have to wait another six tears for the next season... btw the Coach flashback arc was one of the best things I've seen ever.

Gundam Build Fighters ( :5.0:)
Hands down my favorite Gundam in the past ten years! Amazing sound track, animation, art, characters, setting, story. pretty much everything is perfect.

Honorable Mentions:
Chihayafuru 2
Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsugu to Keiji
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Log Horizon
Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~
Samurai Flamenco

Finally the long awaited part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders is here and I have to say it's looking sexier than ever.

Do I have to watch the first 2 to understand what's going on? XD

I think I know the answer to this already, but just making sure XD

Yes watch it. you won't be disappointed.

ahaha, ok. Animation reminds me of Berserk ;D

Have you never heard of JoJo before? It's Currently the second longest running Shueisha manga series, I think it's been going since '87 I believe. It's extremely popular in Japan but not so much anywhere else, so it's pretty understandable if you haven't heard of it before. But yeah I would recommend watching part 1 and 2 first since there are certain things you need to know like the history of the Joestar family in part 1 Phantom Blood and the significance and accomplishments of Joseph Joestar who is one of the main characters of part 3 and is the main character of part 2 Battle Tendency

Though if you really want to get into it, read the manga! Lots of people don't realize that without Jojo's Bizarre Adventure a lot of the coolest powers and characters in other prominent anime today would never have happened. A few examples being One piece and Hunter x Hunter.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm willing to bet most popular shounen probably takes inspiration from JoJo one way or another knowingly or not since it has influenced so many different series over the years. Somebody once told me that "Trafalgar Law" from one piece, his power the op op fruit was supposedly directly inspired from a power in JoJo. I don't quite remember the details but that's pretty cool that Oda took inspiration from it.

Somehow totally rolled into that sports-anime niche and finished Ookiku Furikabutte's first season earlier this week. It's cute. A little older, and not very matches-driven, but cute. Manga's been going on since 2004 apparently. Started the second season earlier today but it seems it's just a continuation with a few extra matches in the summer cup.

I would be lying if I said Gokukoku no Brynhildr's opening isn't one of the reasons I actually paid attention to this. It seems interesting for now. Hopefully it keeps up.

Next one to check is Black Bullet. Already checked a part of the episode and it seems to be what I thought it would be. Yuki Kaji as Rentarou surprised me for a moment but he's good at characters like him anyway.

JJBA is amazing and I can't wait for the new season. It's like the only manga I follow at the moment. 

For more of anything related to Gundam Build Fighters, Gundamn@MAHQ podcast just released a new episode discussing the last 5 Build Fighters eps. http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16060&p=359993#p359993

Ah... the feels are returning. *_*

Can't wait to finish my Kill la Kill AMV so I can start on my Gundam Build Fighters video.

^ Yo I saw the sample of your AMV the other night during the Kill la Kill stream on shinstation, and it looks good man and props on the Gazette song! perfect choice.

Finally started Durarara!! I'm already in fucking tears over Shizuo's insane physical strength (and him basically throwing lamp posts and vending machines at whoever pisses him off, though he somehow dislikes violence). Anyway, watched 2 episodes so far and it's quite enjoyable, going to finish it asap so I'm ready for the second season!

Finally started Durarara!! I'm already in fucking tears over Shizuo's insane physical strength (and him basically throwing lamp posts and vending machines at whoever pisses him off, though he somehow dislikes violence). Anyway, watched 2 episodes so far and it's quite enjoyable, going to finish it asap so I'm ready for the second season!

^ nice. I love Shizu-chan <3 hes my favorite character along with Kida-kun :)

Shizuo is great! Hope you will like it as a whole.

One of my favorite characters was without a doubt Izaya. But the main three kids are interesting too. Mamoru is great as Kida.

Yeah Izaya is cool too, but I find him to be a bit of a smart ass know it all character that needs a good beating... Ryugamine is a decent MC but is a bit lacking in the first season, but I hear he gets a whole lot more interesting later on in the LN. Anri is pretty dull at the beginning but after the Saika shit she becomes a lot more likable in several regards. Other than that I really like the Celty / Shinra relationship quite a bit in the first season for obvious reasons XD

re-watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure The Animation so I can start with the Stardust Crusaders saga.
Hunter X Hunter (2011) and the first episodes of some selected animes to see if I get hooked with any of them.
Durarara, Sekai Seifuku and Kyoukai no Kanata are the ones I liked the most.
I still have to start with Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Senran Kagura and Maken-ki, I've been postponing these ones...
Soul Eater NOT!, didn't like it that much... I'll give it 2 or 3 episodes more to see if I get hooked or not.

Soul Eater NOT! is pretty much what it sounds like... not soul eater XD If you go into it expecting Soul Eater you are gonna be disappointed but otherwise the first episode wasn't terrible and I did enjoy seeing the old characters and the little fight scene was pretty tight. But it does really suck that they changed the animation style from the original... I mean it's like night and day, check it out.

Bk8DunICEAA-S5G.jpg

I mean look at that shit, it's a bit unnerving that the did away with the awesome comic book esque animation / art style of the original series which is one of the reasons it was so awesome, but I understand this is a spinoff targeted at a totally different audience which is why they chose to go with a more clean and up to date modern art / animation style. With that said their really isn't anything wrong with the new style, it's clean and looks great but I suspect fans of the first series will probably be cringing every single time they see the old characters in this new style. I know I cringed the first time I saw Maka in this first episode, she was just too moe for me (which is something I never thought I would say about any character). I miss that blank lifeless stare so much :lol: