Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

^ Please do yourself a favor and don't drop Black Lagoon, just trust me it's worth it... actually it's the best show out of all the ones you mentioned (except one piece... nothing is better than one piece XD) IMO.

^ nice. Alis is a good character, I liked him too :D yeah Kuroko is one of those shows that I know isn't good from a technical standpoint but I just can't help to watch because I get so into the action xD so i guess I can admit that it's a bad show, but I still like it a lot anyways... idk it's weird :|

The action is what got me stuck. Some of the sequences of the more fired up matches are so good though. The Aomine/Kagami in the zone part for instance. Ah...

Finally started Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and after 13 episodes the only "flaw" for me is the slapstick humor sometimes. But the characters are awesome and the story has been going forward every episode. No fillers. I hope that continues.

Awesome! brotherhood is such a good adaption... I just want to forget the first series anime only rendition :urg: There's no "fillers" from what I remember, but yeah you better get used to the slapstick humor because it's a reoccurring thing throughout the show... Which isn't a bad thing since it makes a good contrast from the serious aspect of the series. I personally loved the humor in FMA, both in the manga and the tv series.

Just finished Silver Spoon. Not too much to say about it though in the end I thought it was a decent "feel good" show.

Wrote up a review of it on Anime-Planet:

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Itochan60/reviews/13525

After reading you're review I just sorta get the feeling that you over analyze shows and/or slice of life just isn't your genre... a lot of the points you make in your review sound like you are praising the show quite a bit, but then you give it pretty shit scores all around. So I can say it's probably because it's not your favorite type of show I guess... Because it's way better than a 5/10 (average score by my scale). Btw I don't think you've watched the second season considering how you talk about the only character that matters is Hachiken, which is totally not the case. True he's the main focus for most of the first season but they really flesh out a lot of the other characters in the second season, tbh the first and second seasons should have been one whole season anyways, they just fit together better that way.

Overall I enjoyed what you had to say in your review but I didn't find that the overall score were deserving of probably one of the best slice of life shows in a long time. I do however agree with your evaluations of the animation and sound, but I don't think they should impact the final score as much since this is slice of life and those specific areas shouldn't be as important in a show likes this compared to something like SNK or KLK. I However laugh at your remark about the story ("Story? What story?") because that's bullshit. This show has a story, but what do you expect it's slice of life.. The story is pretty much based on how the characters interact with each other throughout the series and the different scenarios that arise through living everyday life hence the name of the genre, that's how it goes. I get the impression you reviewed this with the wrong mindset, either that or you are just growing tired of anime overall thus you find everything to be either average or bad.

but seriously you should watch the second season, it's better than the first and really does a better job at character development, not to mention out of all the shows from this current season that are ending, it definitely is the one with the best writing.

EDIT: btw not trying to be a dick here... just offering some constructive criticism :D 

Lol Saku, yes I only watched the first season, thus I did a review for the first season. I have every intentions of watching the second season as well. 5/10 isn't a -shit- score imo, it's directly in the middle. Not good, not bad. Overall Silver Spoon was a pretty good mindless watch and provided for some decent escapism...the perfect stuff to watch while unwinding before bed. I am going to be hard on slice of life stories though because most of the time what they are doing is pretty basic. And yes, I would say that Silver Spoon is one of the best of its kind. Hopefully the second season fixes the problem of all the other characters being bland by giving them some extra dimension.

As far as finding anime overall to be average to bad, yeah, I totally agree with that. I would say most stuff that is coming out right now is pretty bad. But I don't think it is because I am tired of anime, I just think I am more critical than most, or at least I am more critical than I used to be. A lot of the stuff I used to be able to enjoy in high school doesn't fly with me anymore...I would like to think it is because I have matured lol.

BTW, the best Slice of Life anime in a long time is Usagi Drop :P

Finished Buddy Complex and there's only 3 things I can say: 1. oh, 2. I love Aoba/Dio, 3. Give me that 2nd season. That's all.

Also managed to get myself over half of the SNK episodes and I'm still not sure what the hype is about. At least it's starting to get somewhat interesting though I had to drag myself through a boring first half of the series before getting there. Well, I guess I'm one of the single people in my close neighborhood who really isn't all "OMG BEST SERIES AND ANIMATION EVER" because there's nothing I haven't seen before.

Now that all of my winter season anime have ended, I guess it's time to finish off some others in these next few days before the new ones start. Hakkenden for instance.

Lol Saku, yes I only watched the first season, thus I did a review for the first season. I have every intentions of watching the second season as well. 5/10 isn't a -shit- score imo, it's directly in the middle. Not good, not bad. Overall Silver Spoon was a pretty good mindless watch and provided for some decent escapism...the perfect stuff to watch while unwinding before bed. I am going to be hard on slice of life stories though because most of the time what they are doing is pretty basic. And yes, I would say that Silver Spoon is one of the best of its kind. Hopefully the second season fixes the problem of all the other characters being bland by giving them some extra dimension.

As far as finding anime overall to be average to bad, yeah, I totally agree with that. I would say most stuff that is coming out right now is pretty bad. But I don't think it is because I am tired of anime, I just think I am more critical than most, or at least I am more critical than I used to be. A lot of the stuff I used to be able to enjoy in high school doesn't fly with me anymore...I would like to think it is because I have matured lol.

BTW, the best Slice of Life anime in a long time is Usagi Drop :P

I understand and I was just saying that since it's a review even though you think it's still a good watch, most people would see the 5/10 score and probably decide right then and there that's it's not worth watching based on that... which is a shame. btw how did you even end up with the 5/10 score? like do you have a points system when you review something? Where you subtracts points off the final score for certain "flaws"? Or is it just more of a feeling ordeal? I would be very interested in finding out how you ended up with the final score.

I know that when I review something I first try to only compare that show to other similar shows so that way I don't end up with funky scores like 5/10 XD For example if I was to compare Silver Spoon to Kill la Kill while trying to review it; first of all I gave KLK a 9/10... now I'm trying to accurately score SS but still trying to somewhat compare it to the KLK score... that's impossible. I originally gave SS first season a 8/10 but if I was comparing that to the 9/10 KLK score I would probably have given it a 5-6/10... not because I didn't enjoy it as much as KLK but because I feel on the scale it didn't reach to as great of heights as KLK did in it's run. Likewise I gave the second season a 9/10 which is the same exact score I gave KLK... had I been comparing the two on the same scale I wouldn't have given it as high a score. But when I'm not trying to compare two totally different shows/genres Silver Spoon totally deserves the scores I gave it because that's how much I enjoyed and loved it compared to other shows in the same genre. I don't know if this makes much sense but basically what I'm trying to say is it's all about the mindset and having different review "scales" for different types of shows and genres.

I actually didn't watch Usagi Drop so I don't really know if that's true or not, but I'll definitely put it on my backlog of "to watch" series :) thanks for the recommendation. Speaking more on the whole score thing for a second, since you obviously liked Usagi Drop more than Silver Spoon what would you score it? If Silver Spoon got a 5/10 but you liked Usagi more than it should get a higher score correct? but how much higher? I guess that depends on how much more you really liked it compared to Silver Spoon.

Finished Buddy Complex and there's only 3 things I can say: 1. oh, 2. I love Aoba/Dio, 3. Give me that 2nd season. That's all.

Also managed to get myself over half of the SNK episodes and I'm still not sure what the hype is about. At least it's starting to get somewhat interesting though I had to drag myself through a boring first half of the series before getting there. Well, I guess I'm one of the single people in my close neighborhood who really isn't all "OMG BEST SERIES AND ANIMATION EVER" because there's nothing I haven't seen before.

Now that all of my winter season anime have ended, I guess it's time to finish off some others in these next few days before the new ones start. Hakkenden for instance.

I can relate, since finishing SNK I've actually already re-watched it once with a friend (some episodes I've seen up to 3 times) originally on the first watch I was thinking of a 9/10 score admittedly, but I held off. Good thing I did because after watching it a second time it sure doesn't live up to that score at all. I think most people are like "OMG BEST SERIES AND ANIMATION EVER" on there first watch because simply they are blinded by all the hype action that's going on... but realistically the show is very lacking. The characters have no real development, the plot is lukewarm at best, and the animation is just decent. the only real redeeming factors are the amazing soundtrack and the pretty interesting setting that I might add that they didn't use or capitalize on as much as they should have. I saw somebody describe SNK perfectly the other day; "It's a show that you can just watch and not have to worry about the plot" which I think is pretty spot on to be honest. Just watch it, finish it, enjoy it for what it offers and then never touch it again. All in all it's not the worse time killer out there :D I ended up giving it a 7/10 in the end game.

Finishing up the leftovers.

Buddy Complex:

Generic Sunrise mecha anime. That jilted boyfriend needs to go away, erase the guy from the drawings. I almost drop kick the show when the time travel cycle was about to get repeated but thankfully it avoided that trap. I guess I'll continue watching whenever S2 comes out. 7/10

The Pilot's Love Song:

Too little, too late. 5/10

Gundam Build Fighters:

I'm in tears. It's now my favorite Gundam series. Ya there some minor flaws like Nils acting completely out of character in the last three eps and of course the mystery of Reiji's world but you know what, who cares? Every ep left me with a smile and that's what matters to me. :) 9/10

Space Dandy:

Ehhhhhh.... it was very hit or miss. Some episodes actually made me fall asleep. Then are a few that were really good like the zombie one. Not a bad show but I'm not sold for S2. 7/10

Hajime no Ippo: Rising:

Takamura steals the show once again. The coach's past, whatever. 8/10

@Saku, @Flame - I love gundam, but I'm really a fan of the more serious, political, and somewhat depressing Gundam Series (my favorite is still Zeta Gundam and I am in love with Unicorn). Do you guys think I should give Gundam Build Fighters a try? I came across it before - saw the animation/outlook, and was like "eww no" - so I'm heavily biased.

Also, I agree with Flame about Space Dandy being very hit or miss. The show has A LOT of cool things going for it (the animation, the score, the director, etc), but it can be very tiresome to watch (and often predictable). I feel like I would have been more interested if there were at least some kind overarching storyline.

Honestly if you're a true Gundam fan then you should love BF, there's so many references, cameos and little tropes found throughout the show it's hard not to crack a smile at them. The battles are amazing, and it doesn't have any death scenes so the characters that you fall in love with won't get killed off needlessly like in any every other Gundam. It also has a bit of a more serious plot interwoven in between the fun stuff, but you'll just have to find out about that yourself ;) overall the show is just fun and refreshing.

Honestly this is my favorite Gundam series in a very long time, it's better than AGE, 00, and SEED for me most definitely!

@Saku, @Flame - I love gundam, but I'm really a fan of the more serious, political, and somewhat depressing Gundam Series (my favorite is still Zeta Gundam and I am in love with Unicorn). Do you guys think I should give Gundam Build Fighters a try? I came across it before - saw the animation/outlook, and was like "eww no" - so I'm heavily biased.

I've met some fans who didn't like Build Fighters as much so it really depends how you take it. All I can say is give the first episode a shot, if you like what you saw then continue lol. I personally love Build Fighters because it's refreshing take to the franchise that's like a parody of itself. Lately, I've been fatigued of Gundam shows where it's just depressing war dramas so I'm really thankful for Sunrise for making this one comedic and relaxing to watch. I love seeing Gundams from different shows duking it out.

Honestly if you're a true Gundam fan then you should love BF, there's so many references, cameos and little tropes found throughout the show it's hard not to crack a smile at them. The battles are amazing, and it doesn't have any death scenes so the characters that you fall in love with won't get killed off needlessly like in any every other Gundam. It also has a bit of a more serious plot interwoven in between the fun stuff, but you'll just have to find out about that yourself ;) overall the show is just fun and refreshing.

Honestly this is my favorite Gundam series in a very long time, it's better than AGE, 00, and SEED for me most definitely!

I actually liked the "needless" deaths in certain Gundam series - I think it lent to the gravity of certain situations. With such large-scale wars being waged and so many weapons of mass destruction about, I think even the seemingly needless deaths were appropriate - even if they did't necessarily advance the plot. Fucked up shit happens in war. Granted, Tomino killed off a lot of characters out of mere depression lol (and not necessarily for the reasons I mentioned - but hey, war is depressing!) :P

I steered pretty clear of AGE, 00 was entertaining for it was, but it could have been eons better (it was kinda like wing 2.0, but i'm still not sure which is cheesier LOL). SEED should have never happened LOL. My favorite Gundam since the late 80's/early 90's is Unicorn (mostly because i'm a U.C. nut lol).

I've met some fans who didn't like Build Fighters as much so it really depends how you take it. All I can say is give the first episode a shot, if you like what you saw then continue lol. I personally love Build Fighters because it's refreshing take to the franchise that's like a parody of itself. Lately, I've been fatigued of Gundam shows where it's just depressing war dramas so I'm really thankful for Sunrise for making this one comedic and relaxing to watch. I love seeing Gundams from different shows duking it out.

Since you two praise it so much, I may check it out sooner or later - even if I'm not too fond of comedic/light-hearted Gundam series. I guess I have a very strict notion of how I think gundam series should be (which is why I've been dissappointed by most post-80's gundam series), but I'll approach GBF with an open mind.

You make a good point about the needless deaths thing, but that doesn't make it alright to kill off the only likable characters in these series... they do that shit all the time, kill off the good characters but leave the shitty character alive :| doesn't make no sense.

and hey I agree SEED is pretty shit, but I would sit through that shit any day over the last season of AGE XD that's how bad it was.

I actually liked the "needless" deaths in certain Gundam series - I think it lent to the gravity of certain situations. With such large-scale wars being waged and so many weapons of mass destruction about, I think even the seemingly needless deaths were appropriate - even if they did't necessarily advance the plot. Fucked up shit happens in war. Granted, Tomino killed off a lot of characters out of mere depression lol (and not necessarily for the reasons I mentioned - but hey, war is depressing!) :P

I steered pretty clear of AGE, 00 was entertaining for it was, but it could have been eons better (it was kinda like wing 2.0, but i'm still not sure which is cheesier LOL). SEED should have never happened LOL. My favorite Gundam since the late 80's/early 90's is Unicorn (mostly because i'm a U.C. nut lol).

First I'll admit that I still have to go back and watch older Gundam series but I'm agreeing here. "needless" deaths in war settings aren't entirely needless to me. It's just a fact that people die as they're fighting. Or not even fighting but just happened to be around.

My favorites must be 00 and Unicorn I guess. I should rewatch Wing one of these days because I was a kid when I did. Maybe I'll like it better now. I can't make myself care for AGE though, and SEED/SEED Destiny were a waste of time and I even watched them twice. I still don't know why.

I guess the word needless is not the right word, but it's true that a lot of Gundam fans are fed up with them always killing off the likable/good characters but leaving the shit characters alive... also it's not fun seeing characters you actually like and feel for die horrible horrible deaths :|

AGE first and second season really isn't that bad, but the third season is total trash and pretty much ruins it, it's pretty similar to SEED actually... SEED first season was alright but then they had to do Destiny and that shit was just unneeded. It's actually pretty interesting both 00 and Build Fighters is written/directed by the same guy and both of those shows have extremely strong endings that shows that he can handle his show's plots without letting them go to hell by the end, both shows were also great pallet cleansers for the previous series before it.

Just watched the new Natsume Yuujinchou OVA that aired back in February and... Shit I'm so screwed right now. I just can't even put my love for this series into words... it's incomprehensible how much this show just pulls at my heart strings and manages to hit me so hard emotionally. It was probably the single best episode I've seen so far this year out of any other show, and we're talking about a ova here... It's a one off episode that's not a part of any other episode or arc from the show, but it's just amazing.

Fuck I need season 5 so bad right now... I better hear an announcement soon or I'm gonna go so nutz that I'll have to eventually re-watch the other four season just to keep sane >.<

So I watched the first 2 episodes of Noragami and I'm digging it so far! I had a few genuine laughs so far, so that's a good sign - everything looks promising. Once again I have to thank sai for having such impeccable taste in Entertainment! :love: