Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

waiting for the next episode of KILL la KILL (damn, that anime is getting more and more exciting with every episode)
right now I'm at episode 9 of Danganronpa, what a sadistic anime... sadistic indeed

Finally started Kill la Kill. The first episode was pretty promising, so I'm going to continue this one for sure! /also pervert guy somehow reminds me of the new pokemon professor from X and Y, lol.

Next on the list is Durarara (or whatever it's called), Kyoukai no Kanata, Norigami and Psycho Pass.

Recently got around to watching and catching all the way up on both Nisekoi and No-rin and I have to say both shows are really good. Nisekoi is done by SHAFT which is probably one of my favorite studios. No-rin is like a less serious comedic version of Silver Spoon with some pretty great gag moments XD seriously it might be the funniest show this season, I'm kinda in love with it.

Finally started Kill la Kill. The first episode was pretty promising, so I'm going to continue this one for sure! /also pervert guy somehow reminds me of the new pokemon professor from X and Y, lol.

Next on the list is Durarara (or whatever it's called), Kyoukai no Kanata, Norigami and Psycho Pass.

Nice. Kill la Kill is definitely making big moves the past few episodes :D

Durarara!! is also a really good show, one of my favorites from the past 5 years! Kyoukai was pretty decent and the animation is some of the best I've seen in a while, Norigami so far has been okay but I've heard it's gonna get a lot better later on... as for psycho pass it's pretty awesome despite it's flaws. It looks like you have chosen a good little crop of shows to watch, good job! :)

Noragami is supposed to be getting more interesting now. I've read the manga too and there have been quite some interesting things happening.

Just finished the 1st and 2nd installment in that Code Geass spinoff thing about Akito the Exiled. I never finished Code Geass and I'm fairly sure it's because I can't make any sense out of Lelouch as a character. I like the kid in this one a lot more, even though his story is fairly typical. The mecha in these movies are great though. Well, the battle scenes are some of the best I've seen in years. Animation and the mechas' movement is very smooth. Love it. Can't wait for the third one to be released.

Yeah Akito is really good, and the mecha action is top notch :D Although I would definitely recommend finishing the tv series since "Akito the Exiled" is supposed to take place during the blank period in between R1 and R2 so it stands to reason that something big is probably gonna happen later on that has to do with things from the tv series. The only thing that sucks about Akito is that we have to wait literally a year or more in between each movie just to see the next :(

Yeah Akito is really good, and the mecha action is top notch :D Although I would definitely recommend finishing the tv series since "Akito the Exiled" is supposed to take place during the blank period in between R1 and R2 so it stands to reason that something big is probably gonna happen later on that has to do with things from the tv series. The only thing that sucks about Akito is that we have to wait literally a year or more in between each movie just to see the next :(

Lelouch annoys the hell out of me. I tried but I think that's the reason why I couldn't get myself to finish the first season. He's just too much (and I'm one who finishes just about any series I've started). I'll probably finish it in the end but I really need to be in the mood.

And yeah, I've noticed that they don't even have people who want to sub it :/ Ah, I'm used to waiting.

Is anyone watching Nagi no Asukara? because I think it might possibly be my favorite show from last year next to Gin no Saji... It's really got me entranced right now, there's only six episodes left but I'm loving every bit of it, the characters are so good and the interactions between the characters is whats driving the show in my opinion.

Lelouch annoys the hell out of me. I tried but I think that's the reason why I couldn't get myself to finish the first season. He's just too much (and I'm one who finishes just about any series I've started). I'll probably finish it in the end but I really need to be in the mood.

And yeah, I've noticed that they don't even have people who want to sub it :/ Ah, I'm used to waiting.

Well that's where we disagree then, sorry but I love Lulu as a character. I can admit that originally at the beginning of R1 I wasn't very much into him either, but later on when the character development hits of boy it hits hard! He's just an interesting main character in my opinion. I like his smart ass know it all side but then he also has a different kinder side that's mostly showcased during his interactions with his younger sister. and honestly Lulu is just badass, not only is his geass fucking cool as shit, but I find one of the best things about his character is that he doesn't even have to rely on his geass to be a formidable opponent, which is showcased many times throughout the series. I pretty much consider Zero as a different character since the way he acts is a lot different from Lulu sometimes (which that's how an alter ego should act, totally different that is).  I guess if you haven't finished it then their are obvious spoilers i can't/won't mention but one thing I have to say is the ending will definitely make you like Lelouch (that's just how much of an impact the ending has).

btw how far are you into it anyways? have you finished R1? And all this discussion is kinda making me feel nostalgic... maybe I'll re-watch it all sometime. (possibly when the anime live stream launches?)

Edit: I just realized you answered my question in your post xD If you haven't even finished R1 then you need to because Lelouch actually has very little character development in the first season compared to the second which is probably why you don't like him (Yet?) Give it a shot :D

Edited by Original Saku

Edit: I just realized you answered my question in your post xD If you haven't even finished R1 then you need to because Lelouch actually has very little character development in the first season compared to the second which is probably why you don't like him (Yet?) Give it a shot :D

I'm fairly sure I'll finish at least the first season, and I'm sure I'll come to like him more than I do now because he is indeed a very interesting character. I've always been confused over him though. I'm usually the type of person to like the smart, know-it-all characters with an attitude but I really have no idea what it exactly is that bothered me so much about him. I should finish it and maybe try and figure out what it was/is.

like every season i planned to watch like 422413514 animes and ended up following almost nothing

Kuroko no Basuke (not from this season) is a mustwatch ofc. watched every episode. Also watching Nisekoi, but im a little bit behind on it.

Dropped Pupa, waiting for the BR version.

Planned to watch Noragami, Sakura Trick & Wizard Barristers. Lets see if i will ever start them~

New season looks promising too (sadly)

Side note: Only watched the first season of code geass. Started strong, but man if it didn't just turn in to shit. The cliffhanger end to season one was so laughable bad that I just deleted season 2 which I had already downloaded.

Your reasoning makes no sense to me. The show was completed years ago so there's no excuse to stop watching the show all because of a halfway point cliffhanger.

Watched Kill la Kill until bedtime yesterday and it's such a beast of an anime whoa. Currently on episode 7, cried legit tears at episode 4 with the buss equipped with the machine gun.

ALSO NUDIST BEACH (pervert guy is amazing lol)

Watched Kill la Kill until bedtime yesterday and it's such a beast of an anime whoa. Currently on episode 7, cried legit tears at episode 4 with the buss equipped with the machine gun.

ALSO NUDIST BEACH (pervert guy is amazing lol)

and those episodes are just the warm up... wait until you get to the latest ones, you'll shit bricks, seriously  ;)

I just watched the first and second episodes of KLK, and it's making me really uncomfortable. Everyone is taking about the animation (which is stunning and it's praise is well-deserved), but unsurprisingly I have yet to see any complaints here about the rampant sexism in the show. I don't have an issue with fanservice (I don't like it but it's inevitable in a male dominated medium like this), but the fact that the fanservice in the first two episodes revolved around shaming and removing autonomy from the main character is what I have an issue with.

I'm gonna stick it out and watch one more episode; may it'll change my mind about the show.

At Miasma, if that bothers you (which it does for me as well), I would really give it a pass. KLK seems to be riding the hype train really hard right now, but I consider it marginal at best (haters gunna hate).

Please it's no worse than your average ecchi show. people exaggerate way too much about the fan service in klk. it's not a show killing aspect if you ask me, if people would pay more attention to the actual show and the story as much as they spend trying to find reasons to not like it because it has a little fan service, then you would realize it doesn't revolve around the nudity. btw that shame that you talk of is actually a part of the story and plot. Yes it's true, they bring it up in a later episode, she's supposed to feel shame in that episode on purpose because later on she realizes that she's not using her godrobe/kamui to it's full potential because she's not embracing her sexuality/femininity, that's why when Satski gets her godrobe she so much more powerful because she feels no shame and embraces her sexuality. Do you really think they would have such sexist undertones for the hell of it?  I myself really don't see anything sexist about kill la kill at all. All i can say is watch and pay attention, there's a lot of hidden messages and philosophy underneath the fanservice and epic action, you just have to look for it.

and tbh it's a pet peeve of mine that people start watching a show and then drop it after 2-3 episodes just because of minor details, that is in no way enough time to form a respectable and valid opinion of a show period.

Please it's no worse than your average ecchi show. people exaggerate way too much about the fan service in klk. it's not a show killing aspect if you ask me, if people would pay more attention to the actual show and the story as much as they spend trying to find reasons to not like it because it has a little fan service, then you would realize it doesn't revolve around the nudity.

I'm sorry but fuck this "you're just looking to be offended" mentality. Just because I noticed a bunch of sexism in the show doesn't mean that I wasn't paying attention to the story. Honestly it would be a lot harder to go through those two episodes and try to ignore all of the sexist bullshit. And "a little fanservice" are we even talking about the same show? A huge amount of the fight scene (with the boxing guy) is the camera slowly panning up over her body, and the camera zooms in on her breasts and crotch when the suit gets tighter. I can only assume that the male gaze only gets stronger as the show progresses.

btw that shame that you talk of is actually a part of the story and plot. Yes it's true, they bring it up in a later episode, she's supposed to feel shame in that episode on purpose because later on she realizes that she's not using her godrobe/kamui to it's full potential because she's not embracing her sexuality/femininity, that's why when Satski gets her godrobe she so much more powerful because she feels no shame and embraces her sexuality. Do you really think they would have such sexist undertones for the hell of it?

Oh you mean she was just supposed to embrace the living sailor uniform that literally stripped her naked and forced itself on her without her consent. Fuck that. It was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, unfunny, and reads like a rape scene. A woman's sexuality and femininity should not defined by her having to embrace a sexual assailant that forced her to wear a stupidly revealing outfit.

I myself really don't see anything sexist about kill la kill at all. All i can say is watch and pay attention, there's a lot of hidden messages and philosophy underneath the fanservice and epic action, you just have to look for it.

and tbh it's a pet peeve of mine that people start watching a show and then drop it after 2-3 episodes just because of minor details, that is in no way enough time to form a respectable and valid opinion of a show period.

Thanks but no thanks, that crap about having to "accept" the godrobe sickened me. I'm done with the show. And lol over-the-top sexism is minor now? Keep letting that conformation bias blind you. 

Woah... calm the fuck down.

My point was can't we just enjoy the show without getting all twisted up over bullshit. Like seriously why does everybody get so bent out of shape over a little fan service and then try to blow the sexism whistle and blow it out of proportion? yes i said a little because that's what it is. I've seen shows that are borderline hentai that air in japan around the same time slot, so when i say a little i mean it. btw I don't take to kindly to you putting words in my mouth by quoting something i never said ("you're just looking to be offended") because i didn't say that and I wasn't directing that part of my argument at you specifically but more towards all these tards on the internet that are saying the same exact thing for months now actually. People who are to busy bitching and moaning about the fan service to actually try to enjoy the show but keep watching it none the less just so they can bitch about it some more.

Secondly you obviously haven't seen enough to know that's not how it comes off as in the show (at least i didn't get that vibe at all.) I can only assume that you are taking what i explained out of context and trying to turn it against me, so let me say that yes she feels shame at the beginning of the show because obviously shes wearing a rather revealing outfit in out in public, but later on in the series as her and Senketsu bond and get closer to each other she realizes during her battle with Satsuki that she's actually feeling shameful when wearing Senketsu and that makes her feel bad because now that they have a pretty deep relationship she feels that it's wrong of her to feel that way. She realizes that she should feel proud to wear Senketsu since hes her friend and very special to her, and thus she overcomes her shame and embraces her sexuality and femininity. At that point she gets over it and it's not much of a big deal for her anymore and i might add after that episode i feel like the overall sexist undertones kinda die out completely since they've made their point. btw again i never said "accept" anywhere in my post but if i had you would have misunderstood it anyways. And when i said minor i was talking about the fan service. 

The point is that Senketsu is not just some monster but an actual character who has a mind and conscience of it's own and is actually one of the "goodguy" characters. Actually later on their bond gets even deeper to the point where he is probably the closest thing to a best friend besides Mako.

in the end it's partly my fault for not explaining the relationship between Matoi and Senketsu in my previous post. I wasn't trying to come off hostile or anything I was just putting my thoughts out there. I especially get sick of hearing people raise the sexism card all the time, I know that it's very much a real occurrence in anime but that doesn't make me like to hear people bicker about it all the time. all i can say is i hope you give the show a "real" chance that goes beyond the first few episodes. because i truly don't think that it's intentionally trying to be controversial just in spite. there's a message in there somewhere it's just up to you on how you interpret it.

Actually, there has been a lot of controversy over the exhibitionist fanservice when it first premiered, eventually it died down pretty quick. I admit it bothered me at first because I always welcome a badass female main character which is so rare nowadays, but when the show sexualizes her to death, it gave me a massive facepalm. Given that this is the same people who did Gurren Lagann, it's something I should've seen coming. On the business side, it makes sense for them to do this because most of Japan's audience are brainless otakus who care more about the appearance rather than the substance, so more money for them. The way these shows are stylized, you're gonna have to take the fanservice as it is since that's just mere sheep's clothing to the actual meat of the story. Despite of its questionable merits, I find the show entertaining overall. Don't force yourself to watch something that bothers you to that extent. No one is forcing you.

On a side note, I just started making a Kill la Kill AMV. :)

Cool beans - I used to make gundam AMVs a long long time ago - Uploaded to YT but all got taken down after 3 years or so then my account got torpedoed by copyright flaggers.

Had to start up a completely new account.

That's awesome Flame , I would love to see it when you're done :D

Actually started two new shows this morning... pupa which is honestly the biggest piece of garbage I've seen in a long time... it's a shame too because it had so much potential and then they ended turning into some 4 min anime that only consists of the same shit every episode (people who've seen knows what I'm talking about). Quite honestly it's only half through but i'm pretty confident no show in 2014 is gonna be worse that this :lol:

And Sakura Trick which I've wanted to watch since it started airing but had to get my priorities straight first. All i got to say is it's good. Whenever a yuri anime comes around (which is actually very rare) I always tend to check it out, but this one takes it to a new level and it's possibly the cutest shit I've seen in my life. I love the interactions between the character and the uh... kissing... yeah that shit is great. I'm also really digging the art style.

Random, but what types of anime would stuff like ghost in the shell, ergo proxy, berserk, and samurai champloo be considered? Just curious, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these classifications.