Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I think I have only wanted a couple from 2013...it has been a weak ass year imo with nothing that really has justified me watching it. Now video games on the other hand...

I think that is because I am way more of a snob. Pretty much everything that has been popular this year has been "eh" for me. The only 2 that I want to check out still are Kyousougiga and Silver Spoon, but so far 2013 has been pretty much a was for me.

Edit: Keep in mind, the last year I thought was really good was 2008 lol

oh well both silver spoon and kyousougiga are some of the good ones for sure, so you're on the right track

hey you should check out gifuu doudou!! please check it out... lol I want more people to like it because really it's a very underated and underwatched show, which makes me very sad.

I love Yozakura Quartet a lot so I'm really sad about not getting the last episodes. It's also strange how this series, which seems to be getting OVAs and episodes at random, isn't that popular. The manga is great, and the characters are fun. I really don't get the issue here.

Also somehow ended up finally watching Rurouni Kenshin again and I'm now halfway through the 90+ episodes. Blame Sato Takeru and his performance as Kenshin in the live action movie because somehow watching the movie again made me want to watch the whole anime all of a sudden.

I'm also a lot sadder about Kyoukai no Kanata ending than I thought I'd be. It was actually getting somewhere and I feel like an extra few episodes might have gotten us some extra explanations about some of the characters. Either way, I loved Akihito's voice actor and I'm sad I'm not really interested in most of his other work. At least he's done music.

So I guess I'm currently just focusing on Kenshin and Zetsuen no Tempest.

^ I can absolutely guarantee you will not be disappointed with Zetsuen no Tempest if you stick it out. Its a pretty amazing show, definitely a sleeper hit from the last few years.

So I've heard. My only issue is that I've gotten quite far into the manga, so the anime has its points where I just want to skip because I know what's going on anyway. The manga is written by the same person who did Spiral and I love that one so I'm sure this won't be any different.

So yeah they buckeled under the backlash from leechers and actually just finished the two episodes from the last few weeks of Yozakura! so looks like there's not gonna be a wait at all xD I feel like it was a troll tbh.

Finally completed some anime:

Code Geass R2 - watched the first 22 episodes over a year ago and now finished the remaining three. I have mixed feelings about the ending, almost shedded a tear :'(

Beelzebub - I don't watch anime as long as this very often, but it was pretty funny and the baby was adorable, even though I hate kids. I had the last episode remaining to watch and completed it now.

Blood Lad - very entertaining series, I read that the second season will be released in late 2014(?) Can't wait!

I still have like 25-30 shows unfinished and watch them when I feel like it (Genshiken 2, Hyouka, Wolf's Rain etc.), but I still wanna start a new anime if I could find an interesting one. I've been thinking of trying Mirai Nikki or Kill la Kill, I'm just not sure if they're what I'm currently looking for.. oh well, just gotta watch and find out.

From the current season, I'm only watching Golden Time, can't wait for the next season 'cause looks like there's gonna be a bunch of interesting stuff.

Some shows I finished off:

Little Busters!: Refrain

Given that this is based on key's VN, I knew there was going to be some magical nonsense going on but the main focus is and will always be character development. Overall I enjoyed it. Lots of feel moments. The final episode though gave me mixed reactions. While I don't mind happy endings, it felt like all the progression that was leading up to the finale was rendered pointless. 7/10

Infinite Stratos 2

Infinitely shitty. What's the point of this sequel when absolutely NOTHING is resolved? 2/10

BlazBlue: Alter Memory

Most disappointing and 2nd worst anime of the year. So much wasted potential. As someone who played all the games, I went into this show with the intention in knowing the story since I never bothered to pay attention to the game's storyline. But wow what a clusterfuck of a mess. No one is introduced properly and the story isn't explained up until the penultimate episode but at that point, I could care less since it's too little too late. A perfect example of how NOT to do a video game anime adaptation. 2/10

Valvrave S2

This 2nd season was actually getting good, however the student massacre episode dipped the show into a whole new level of stupidity. Adding a 'kill'em all Tomino' shock factor doesn't make the show any better. The ending didn't sit right with me where everyone is getting along so well in such a short amount of time. Also, fuck Shoko. That bitch needs to be thrown out in the airlock. Saki FTW. 5.5/10

Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 2 - Hikisakareshi Yokuryuu - :4.5:

This movie finally just got subbed last week, I watched it and loved it! It was a lot better than the first movie and let me tell you that this movie has some of the best mecha action I've ever seen. And good news is that it has been confirmed that this series of movies does in fact take place in between R1 and R2! Now the only thing to do is wait another year for the third movie to come out and get subbed :/ but well I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

We get an appearance from both Suzaku and Lulu in this movie! that's how we know this series takes place in between R1 and R2. it's been theorized that it's the blank period right after Lulu get his memories erased by Charles right before R2.

With this series being so awesome one can only hope that after it's done and completed, sunrise will stop tiptoeing around and finally continue where they left off in R2... Hey I can dream right xD

so far the good ones from the new season seem to be

D-Frag! (one word is Hillarious!)

Hamatora (pretty interesting, reminds me of a cross between Durararara! and Darker than black)

Nobunagun (pretty unusual if I do say so myself.. although I like this nobunaga anime more than the other one, especially the artstyle and the use of colors)

Noragami (Seems like a good one, definitely not the most original premises but really enjoying the lighthearted moments in the first episode and the monster design is pretty unique me thinks)

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta (Was great! loved the airplane moments in the first episode and the animation was pretty top notch! btw Claire for best girl! That romance right out the gate though xD my boy Kal-el doesn't waste time obviously.)

those are the ones that seem to have some pontental, I'm still on the fence about a few others as of this moment.

Please excuse the double post but i just had to get this out there and say that this weeks "Hunter x Hunter" was fucking amazing! Some of the most hype and epic stuff I've ever seen,,, not gonna lie I had a case of the goosebumps throughout the entire episode and it was totally worth the weeks wait! All i gotta say is them chimera ants gonna get bodied XD

I've only done this to myself, but I'm watching 5 new anime this season + the rest of Kenshin I still needed to finish. (Also already found 4 or 5 anime that will air later this year, 3 of which start in April. I'm going to die in 2014)

Hamatora (Style of editing vs drawing reminds me a bit of Durarara, but it doesn't seem as great (yet))
Norigami
Nobunaga the Fool (Jeanne D'arc, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nobunaga, etc, all in one... fighting with mecha... in one word "what?")

Nobunagun (Also very "what?" but seems interesting for some reason.)

Buddy Complex (trying to fill in that need for a new Gundam series that is not AGE and it's a Sunrise one anyway)

Hamatora (pretty interesting, reminds me of a cross between Durararara! and Darker than black)

That description of Hamatora seems to fit my idea of it perfectly. I quite liked it to be honest.

I've only done this to myself, but I'm watching 5 new anime this season + the rest of Kenshin I still needed to finish. (Also already found 4 or 5 anime that will air later this year, 3 of which start in April. I'm going to die in 2014)

Hamatora (Style of editing vs drawing reminds me a bit of Durarara, but it doesn't seem as great (yet))

Norigami

Nobunaga the Fool (Jeanne D'arc, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nobunaga, etc, all in one... fighting with mecha... in one word "what?")

Nobunagun (Also very "what?" but seems interesting for some reason.)

Buddy Complex (trying to fill in that need for a new Gundam series that is not AGE and it's a Sunrise one anyway)

That description of Hamatora seems to fit my idea of it perfectly. I quite liked it to be honest.

Yeah I really liked the first episode too, and the minimum holder concept is pretty much exactly the same thing as contractors in Darker than Black.

"Buddy complex" I really didn't like that much... for a few reasons actually. First of all it's sunrise  and they just ended valvrave a few weeks ago and they're already back on the mecha wagon... not saying that valvrave wasn't good because I actually enjoyed it quite a bit despite all the hate it's getting. But anyways my main problem with the first episode is pretty much it is full of anime cliche's all throughout and the MC's plot armor is pretty much in full effect the entire episode... I mean come on he should of died like two dozen times in the entire episode, but nope it can't happen because it's the main character :(  another big problem for me is just it paced itself way too fast and by the end of the episode he's already in the future and in his mecha no less... okay sure that makes total sense >.> anyways the one good thing this show has going for it is the interesting time travel / alternate reality thing but even then when the pacing and plot armor is this bad I don't see the setting saving this show alone. Also the characters are boring so far.

I'll still stick with it till the end, well because that's just how I am with anime... even the ones I think are really bad I almost never drop. But if you ask me if you're looking for gundam then just watch build fighters, it's ten times better than this right now and of course since it's gundam it also done by sunrise.

/rant

Had to get that out there, pretty much "Buddy Complex" imo has the worst first episode out of all the new shows.. it may get better, hopefully.

I'll still stick with it till the end, well because that's just how I am with anime... even the ones I think are really bad I almost never drop. But if you ask me if you're looking for gundam then just watch build fighters, it's ten times better than this right now and of course since it's gundam it also done by sunrise.

/rant

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything yet for either of the series I've started, but from this season, these seemed to be the most interesting ones. I'll hold out on saying more about Buddy Complex till I've watched a few episodes but what you said is pretty much what I was thinking as well. It just all went so fast.

My favorite Gundam was 00, and everything they've done after that just hasn't been my thing. Build Fighters either. I still have to watch more of Unicorn so maybe I should do that, but I really couldn't bring myself to watch AGE, and the concept art for the new one doesn't look too interesting either :/

I started Valvrave's first season a while back but I kind of lost interest for some reason. I'll finish it soon though, I'm not one to drop series either, and I've hardly ever done so.

It's understandable that build fighters is not your thing, I think you have to be a really big mobile suit gundam fan to really appreciate it since it combines suits that span the entire series and multiple universes... not really enjoyable unless you know what the suits are and where they are from xD and also "00" was decent, definitely better than the shit that was AGE and the less shit "Seed" (which isn't saying much since AGE was really bad!) So far though I think build fighters has the potential to be one of the best gundams in recent years.. we'll just have to wait and see as it's still a little to early to come to those assumptions :D

About Valvrave, it's different if you ask me... which is why I liked it in the first place. Sure it has it's share of anime cliches and other stuff we expect from a sunrise mecha show, but there was just something about it that really resonated with me. I'm still rooting for a third season later this year hopefully.

Just watched the first episode of the second season of Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon), and damn it was good! I'm loving this show so much, The first season was my favorite new series from last year and it seems the second season is gonna be just as good if not better :) looking forward to more amazing character development in the coming episodes xD

Ended up adding another series to my "currently watching" list. Found Magical Warfare randomly and for now it's mostly the VAs keeping me there. Seems like it could be interesting though.

I also finished Free! in one setting and while it was a typical friendship anime, and not too bad, I don't really understand why it was such a hype the past summer. Was it solely because of all the fanservice being for girls this time? I just remember laughing quite a bit and wanting to hit all the characters, the designers and writers, on multiple occasions.

Another show added to my current watch, The Pilot's Love Song. Pretty interesting so far but I fail to see the connection to anime movie, The Princess and the Pilot. Then again, it's too early to tell. I got a soft for revenge stories. :)

Still watching all the same ones that are airing but added Kuroko no Basket and Pupa. While I have no idea what's going on in Pupa (well, I do, but it's so random?!), I've started to love Kurobasu. I think there's just too many characters that are easy to love. Watched the first season in two days, and then pretty much immediately caught up with the currently airing season. New episode came out today so I still have to watch that one.

Oh yeah, Hamatora and Norigami are definitely my favorites this season. Magical Warfare is a mess and I have no idea where it's trying to go or what it's trying to prove. Buddy Complex is pretty ok but nothing special.

my favorites from this season so far are:

Gin no Saji: second season

This show is just so good, I love it to death. anybody who hasn't seen it yet needs to pronto..you're seriously missing out on one of the best shows in the past few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceICDWQ3ZJM

Hoozuki no Reitetsu

This was a bit of a surprise show for me, I had no idea what to expect going in but all in all I love it. you'll pretty much laugh your ass off watching this show and the opening is hilariously catchy XD

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.

One word to describe this is... Cute. Yes this is the cutest show from this season and so far I'm infatuated with it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weftBM151b0

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta

simply great. I fell like I'm watching an anime movie when i watch this show. the animation is top tier and I love how I'm getting this really old school anime vibe from it... reminds of older shows from back in the day for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYn8ygDoj0