Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I got up to ep 25, but which 2 parts do you mean? One of them definitely had to be when Cars took Lisa Lisa's legs and started playing guitar with them! lol

That was one of them! The other one was the part where AC/DC suddenly starts to cry like a bitch lmao

I got up to ep 25, but which 2 parts do you mean? One of them definitely had to be when Cars took Lisa Lisa's legs and started playing guitar with them! lol

Good job CAT! you marathoned the hell out of it didn't you? XD Now it's time to go watch the first three episodes of Stardust Crusaders :D

Just watched all of Pupa which wasn't long AT ALL. I hope there would be a sequel which isn't just 4 minutes an episode.

The reason it was so short was because they had problems in the developing point of the anime. It was supposed to have normal length episodes but something went wrong. I doubt we'll be getting anything more than this tbh. (and maybe that's for the better)

I'm interested in watching Guilty Crown, it sort of looks like a mecha anime, I'm not sure? I found out Hiroyuki Sawano did the OST and since he always adds quality to quality I figured it had to be a neat show. Anyone who has seen it and care to enlighten me?

Guilty Crown, oh man... XD

This is one of those shows that's all about appearance and not about substance. It does have mechs in it but it's not really a mecha show. It's more of supernatural sci-fi. Insert shinji ikari with a cast full of archetypes in a story that's filled with annoying tropes/cliches that'll make you facepalm more than 50% of the time.

Either way, give it a shot if you're just into the visuals and music.

I liked Guilty Crown myself. It's better than SnK in my opinion, but that's just me. It has great music and the characters are okay. Plot is there but it's not the most engaging thing ever, like flame said there is mechs but it's not really a "mecha" show. I'd say give it a chance and see what you think, I enjoyed it for what it was and that's good enough for me.

Also if you don't like anime tropes/cliches then why the hell are you watching anime in the first place? Like seriously all shows have some form of trope or cliche, It's kinda the norm at this point. It doesn't really bother me that much tbh... that's just how it is.  

There are tropes/cliches that are well executed where it feels refreshing, and then are those that are there for the sake of having it. Guilty Crown and SAO are the perfect example of that where they force all these cliched scenarios in a potential story without even giving any thoughts. I could write a thesis how these two shows are a complete failure to their premise.  :lulzz:

I'm just simply giving a heads up in what to expect from the show. Like I suggested, watch it for the visuals and score which is what I did.

Are you seriously comparing the trash that was Sword Art Online to Guilty Crown? HA that's laughable, GC is better in every regard, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence let alone being compared to each other. There's more things than just the animation and OST that make Guilty Crown worth watching IMO.

I understand your point but it doesn't help that you're not backing it up with any specific examples either. Not to mention it's just ridiculous that you say the only thing that makes Guilty Crown worth watching is the animation and soundtrack, because that's just not true, there's plenty of other semi-enjoyable parts of the show that make it a decent watch. Comparing it to a show like SAO is totally ludicrous, because unlike SAO, Guilty Crown actually does have some redeemable factors that can make it worth while. 

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!

What are your favorite anime series based solely upon character development? Or rather, what are some some great series with strong character development?

Usually, I see stories where characters remain the same throughout, or stories where characters remain the same, but end up showing a different side of themselves during the climax (although that different side is usually traits that they had to begin with). Those kind of plots are perfectly fine, but sometimes I like stories where characters genuinely (and realistically) change...for better or for worse :P

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 anime that I've enjoyed that display strong character development!

First one is Berserk (the original anime series, not the 3-part OVA remake)! Even though it's a dark fantasy, it's also one of the most human stories i've come across in anime. The development of the main character (guts) alone is great, but along with the 2 other major characters (casca and griffith)...just watching how their relationship develops, seeing the psychology behind all of their actions, and then witnessing how their bonds are further altered by outside forces beyond their control...it's just fascinating to me! :D

Even though the manga (long as it is) is obviously the better choice, the anime does an AMAZING job at capturing the short arc that it did...it also manages to magnify and elaborate on some elements of the story that the mange kinda glossed over.

The 2nd anime I can think of is Welcome to the NHK! I've never read the manga or the novels to this, but I found the anime to be very touching underneath it's comedic veneer. The main character, Tatsuhiro, is hilarious to watch as he stumbles through life, but witnessing his gradual growth and seeing how human he is is just wonderful. Perhaps I found the anime to be so endearing because it touched me on a few personal levels, but I think a lot of people might relate to it in some way.

Anyways, what are some great anime series with strong character development!? I'd love to add them to my queue :'3

p.s.(unrelated - but is fairy tail worth watching? it looks fun at least XD)

Are you seriously comparing the trash that was Sword Art Online to Guilty Crown? HA that's laughable, GC is better in every regard, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence let alone being compared to each other. There's more things than just the animation and OST that make Guilty Crown worth watching IMO.

I'd say comparing SNK to GC or at least putting them against each other saying one was definitely better than the other is more confusing.

But anyway, GC was ok for what it was. I do admit that it hardly has any substance and the lead was annoying at the end but it's surely an anime which is great to look at.

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!

What are your favorite anime series based solely upon character development? Or rather, what are some some great series with strong character development?

Usually, I see stories where characters remain the same throughout, or stories where characters remain the same, but end up showing a different side of themselves during the climax (although that different side is usually traits that they had to begin with). Those kind of plots are perfectly fine, but sometimes I like stories where characters genuinely (and realistically) change...for better or for worse :P

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 anime that I've enjoyed that display strong character development!

First one is Berserk (the original anime series, not the 3-part OVA remake)! Even though it's a dark fantasy, it's also one of the most human stories i've come across in anime. The development of the main character (guts) alone is great, but along with the 2 other major characters (casca and griffith)...just watching how their relationship develops, seeing the psychology behind all of their actions, and then witnessing how their bonds are further altered by outside forces beyond their control...it's just fascinating to me! :D

Even though the manga (long as it is) is obviously the better choice, the anime does an AMAZING job at capturing the short arc that it did...it also manages to magnify and elaborate on some elements of the story that the mange kinda glossed over.

The 2nd anime I can think of is Welcome to the NHK! I've never read the manga or the novels to this, but I found the anime to be very touching underneath it's comedic veneer. The main character, Tatsuhiro, is hilarious to watch as he stumbles through life, but witnessing his gradual growth and seeing how human he is is just wonderful. Perhaps I found the anime to be so endearing because it touched me on a few personal levels, but I think a lot of people might relate to it in some way.

Anyways, what are some great anime series with strong character development!? I'd love to add them to my queue :'3

p.s.(unrelated - but is fairy tail worth watching? it looks fun at least XD)

From the top of my head I can only think about DRRR. Loved that one mainly because of the characters. Zetsuen no Tempest and Spiral were another two but that's definitely not the same. I guess also for the latter I'm really thinking about the manga more than the anime. But for both characters were really done well. I guess Gundam 00 had me locked onto the main 4 as well, but I guess that's a whole different thing altogether.

Oh, there's Hyouka and Kamisama no Memochou but those are more slice-of-life so I guess it's more expected there.

Most slice of life anime have really good character development but that's to be expected since those type of shows rely on character development to move the story forward. I'm can't really think of any shows off the top of my head right now... But I'll think about it and come back when I'm not on mobile :-)

I didn't compare SnK and GC to each other, I just stated which one I think is the better show based on how much I enjoyed each one. That's different from saying that SAO and GC are similar because of poor characters and failed forced trope/cliche attempts like flame did. He specifically compared the two, which I can agree on a certain level with his comparison in the fact that GC does in fact have character and trope issues to a certain degree but it's no where near as bad as the shit SAO had going on. I feel comparing the two to each other does GC a great disservice.

@CAT: I would say it's worth watching but of course that's just my opinion. It's a shounen so there's always gonna be people that will hate on it. I like it though. But really If you want to get into a good long running shounen I would recommend you checking out Hunter X Hunter. It's just about my favorite shounen right now, and actually now that I think about it, it has a lot of character development that you talked about so... There you go. I would say watch fairy tail as well but after HxH :wink:

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!

One show that still stands out to me for strong character development is Gurren Lagann. The interesting part about this show is Simon's development from a mere underground driller to a universal hero. You see him as a milquetoast in the first half of the show while being encouraged by his mentor Kamina, then when it hits ep8, he's tested by a great tragic loss that can either put him in the pits forever or move on. Of course, he overcomes that loss in ep11 which is probably my all time favorite anime episode and I get man tears every time I watch it. Everything about that episode is so well done; the lines, action, music placement, character interactions, etc. Simon becomes his own man by taking on leadership, delivering a Kamina class speech, performing the giga drill break all on his own, and doing the impossible possible (ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! lol) when all odds are stacked against him. He surpasses his mentor on almost everything that makes him a symbol of hope for humanity's survival. Simon's growth as a character is truly inspiring.

Just watched the third episode of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and I'm really digging this show so far. I don't think it will be another Mahou Sensou since so far it actually seems like it has some direction and knows where it's going... also just found out it's gonna be a 2 Cour show so that's pretty awesome :D

Watched the first episode of M3. Seems like it could be interesting.

They can leave that typical damsel-in-distress wherever they've found her though wth... I already sat through Asuka and Flay. I'm not sure if I can do this again.

The most interesting thing is that I am rewatching DBZ because I never quite finished it when it aired on television.

Other than that:

Black Bullet

Captain Earth

Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun

Kamigami no Asobi

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

I don't like to watch too much at once.

Guest MollyMouse

Finally got around to watching kill la kill XD my crush recomended i watch it , so I checked it out , and im in LOOOOVE WITH IT MY GOD ITS MY PERFECT SENSE OF HUMOR <3

I might as well post this here instead considering how popular this thread is.

I have to warn you people, this AMV is very fast paced with its cuts so watch it at your own discretion. May cause seizure or nausea. Hope you all enjoy. :D

So glad I was able to finish it before my KlK burnout or facing more fatal technical difficulties.

Not a big fan of the song (as I'm not a big fan of recent GazettE) but really well made! I wish I actually had skills lmao.

Loved it flame :wub: I'm not that big of a fan of the song either, but I found that it matched up with your amv perfectly and strangely enough kinda complimented the scenes quite well at times XD