CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

im complete dumbfounded as to why they're worshiped on MH when i can't see anything from their music beyond a boring old-diru rip off with a more -core edge. i know thats part of their image but its honestly tiresome to listen to considering they've beat that horse to death throughout all their releases. their latest single sounds like obscure so LOL they'll just end up copying diru in chronological order.

I agree with that sentiment regarding "rip offs"; but would broaden it to encompass any band that revives an old style, seemingly because it's the "cool" thing to do. It's treading the same water as those that came before, and a vast majority of the time the new band is nowhere near as good as those that came before them.

They revived when diru was worth listening to && brought back what made visual-kei good in terms of visuals. What made it work is that they didn't even remotely try to hide what they're doing and their music isn't a 1:1 cover with different lyrics. Plus it pisses of diru-stans and the amount of tears it created has been phenomenal. 

I wasn't that into Grieva before seeing them live. But the fact that a lot of their songs are Diru copies doesn't really bother me, also after Shuuen it doesn't really feel like they are doing it anymore. I like them because their live shows are great and they have the typical 90's visual kei-ish sound that I like. 

Once again I came across some old Dir en Grey PV and thought I'd give them a milliont chance to prove me wrong, but no, sorry, they're one of the most overrated VK bands ever. The only really good songs that has come from that band is The Final, Increase Blue and Chain repulsion.

Same with X Japan, only like Tears and Kurenai, rest is so amazingly boring! Sometimes I almost feel like people just agree to the hype of these 2 bands because you're supposed to if you like VK O_o

I agree with that sentiment regarding "rip offs"; but would broaden it to encompass any band that revives an old style, seemingly because it's the "cool" thing to do. It's treading the same water as those that came before, and a vast majority of the time the new band is nowhere near as good as those that came before them.

I more or less agree. I instinctively treat all nostalgia acts with hostility from the outset and Grieva especially I hold in low regard. Whenever not clearly ripping off something better, they're a milquetoast bore of inconceivable proportions with a production about as sterile as an operating room. The turn of the millenia was never this drab. 

Once again I came across some old Dir en Grey PV and thought I'd give them a milliont chance to prove me wrong, but no, sorry, they're one of the most overrated VK bands ever. The only really good songs that has come from that band is The Final, Increase Blue and Chain repulsion.

Same with X Japan, only like Tears and Kurenai, rest is so amazingly boring! Sometimes I almost feel like people just agree to the hype of these 2 bands because you're supposed to if you like VK O_o

I feel like i've posted something similar already, but I'm not going back 26 pages lol. Both bands are stupidly overrated. And I say this as someone who has actually liked most of Diru's disco, but they are still massively overrated and X is just generic hair metal that we already had/have in gobs here.  I'll never forget the time I was on some metal forum and someone suggested X as an example of Japanese metal and the response was, um, sorry dude, that's not metal and frankly it sucks, lmao.

I'll wait for the buttpain. :)

The main reason I enjoy the Diru-is-overrated trope is because it's so tiresome to see stans whinging on about how x, y and z-band are just "Diru copies".

and X is just generic hair metal that we already had/have in gobs here.  I'll never forget the time I was on some metal forum and someone suggested X as an example of Japanese metal and the response was, um, sorry dude, that's not metal and frankly it sucks, lmao.

False. First off, while X Japan was inspired by the glam scene, they didn't sound anything like the glam bands. Even deaf people are able to hear this. While glam bands mostly played heavy metal/rock, X Japan started off as a power/speed metal band. If they weren't metal, then bands like Helloween and Blind Guardian weren't metal either. And they were, so...

Not metal...

kobe-bryant-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9

"Even deaf people are able to hear this" is just a meaningless cop-out for a bad argument, sorry lol

Never seen anyone outside of J-fans agree that X is metal.  Go ahead, try it.

i think DIR EN GREY's album UROBOROS is a masterpiece.

It's generally seen as their best by a lot of DIR EN GREY listeners so how unpopular is this opinion exactly? ;)

"Even deaf people are able to hear this" is just a meaningless cop-out for a bad argument, sorry lol

Never seen anyone outside of J-fans agree that X is metal.  Go ahead, try it.

I had to spend about 20 seconds on the internet to find this:

"I had never heard of this band and was barely aware of the Visual Kei scene, so this was all new to me. I was quite shocked to hear the title track, an absolutely ripping power metal cut at an insanely fast tempo. The raw edge of the sound was immediately thrilling. It sounded like I had just discovered a holy grail of metal that had bizarrely gone unknown to me after 23 years of loving metal.  Sadly the next two songs were pretty crappy generic 80s metal in the vein of W.A.S.P." ...

Source: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/x_japan/blue_blood/

All those new visual kei bands just sound like copies of each other to me, and look it too. Makes me even less inclined to follow the vk scene. I simply fail to see the originality and the appeal you all seem to find in the likes of Lycaon, Mejibray and so on.

I agree with you 100 percent. The amount of hype that a lot of these copy and paste bands get in general, makes me wonder if people just like how they look/the members...or if they are actually that oblivious. The Black swan, Mejibray, and hell even Lycaon to a certain point aren't anything special and contribute absolutely nothing to the growth of VK.

As for my own unpopular opinion:

VK fans need to STOP getting so attached to indies bands. Over the last few years, we've seen some of the greatest/influential indies bands up and disband out of the blue such as OZ, 9GOATS, RENTRER EN SOI and even...................................................Lycaon (HIGHLY DEBATABLE). It doesn't take a genius to know that we really don't know what goes on behind closed doors with these groups at such an early stage in their careers. Yes, its okay to be fond of them and follow them but based on the terrible trend that specific scene has of bands dropping left and right, why must people get so indulged? Only to have what happened here when Lycaon disbanded, happen again and again? At this point, i think both here on MH and many VK fans in general need to actually wake up and smell the coffee. NONE of these bands, no matter how popular they are or how well you think they look are sound, are guaranteed to stay active. 

--

As for my own unpopular opinion:

VK fans need to STOP getting so attached to indies bands. Over the last few years, we've seen some of the greatest/influential indies bands up and disband out of the blue such as OZ, 9GOATS, RENTRER EN SOI and even...................................................Lycaon (HIGHLY DEBATABLE). It doesn't take a genius to know that we really don't know what goes on behind closed doors with these groups at such an early stage in their careers. Yes, its okay to be fond of them and follow them but based on the terrible trend that specific scene has of bands dropping left and right, why must people get so indulged? Only to have what happened here when Lycaon disbanded, happen again and again? At this point, i think both here on MH and many VK fans in general need to actually wake up and smell the coffee. NONE of these bands, no matter how popular they are or how well you think they look are sound, are guaranteed to stay active. 

I must disagree with you. You think it's wrong to get attached to a band you love, since all indie bands eventually disband? That's like thinking it's wrong to love your dog and be extremely emotional about its death since all pets die eventually. Getting attached to things is life, and when something great ends, you get sad. Period.

So you tell us that we must all follow the bland and recycled music of bands like SuG and the GazettE simply because there's a smaller chance they disband? No sir, no thanks.

Yes, because a pet is the same thing as a few people with instruments on the other side of the world whom you only know from photoshopped pictures and audio files on the internet. What kind of silly comparison is that.

I think it's a sign of a weak personality if you get so "attached" to some group of musicians that you make a big fuss about it or even (pretend to) cry if they quit. And that's not limited to indie bands. Might as well be Iron Maiden or something.

It really irks me when people judge why someone is attached to a band. Everyone likes them for different reasons. Stop thinking your taste is better than someone else's. News flash: It's not.

You don't get attached to bands and the music they create? Good for you. But when I love a band and find something special about their music, for whatever reason I deem fit, it's sad to know I'll never hear new music from that group again. Not in the same way it was created by that line up. Yes, we all know indies bands have a high likelihood of breaking up but that doesn't mean people shouldn't support them and believe in what they are doing. I actually find it sad how cold and detached some people can be. 

@Des, I am not sure if your comment was sarcastic or not, but let's just say it isn't. Music can have just as much impact on a human being as a pet, or a family member, or another beloved one, for all that matters. The relativity of a musician being an ungraspable force, is in this case not relative at all. Don't you read about thousands of teenagers who have suffered throughout depression (or even adults, whatever the age may be), and a band or musician has helped them struggle through this with their upbeat lyrics or relatable subjects ingrained in their music? These people aren't sad individuals, these people aren't to be undermined for their inability to force themselves through something alone, they are not weak and certainly don't have an unstable personality. No one deserves to be alone, and if there is no one around a lot of people tend to lean toward the comfort of music. And in this case it does not matter (or in any case), if this band is well-known or still lingers deeply in an underground scene. 

Like this, bands can have just as much value as any other hobby or esteemed and treasured dear one. What is pitiable, is that there are people out there who — like said — judge others on their reason of attachment. You have no clue what their story is. And even if you are aware, everybody's bonds and ties with an item or living human being — far away and unobtainable yes or no — are of their own appraisal. 

It really irks me when people judge why someone is attached to a band. Everyone likes them for different reasons. Stop thinking your taste is better than someone else's. News flash: It's not.

Exactly.

I think it's a sign of a weak personality if you get so "attached" to some group of musicians that you make a big fuss about it or even (pretend to) cry if they quit. And that's not limited to indie bands. Might as well be Iron Maiden or something.

How is that any different than getting eg. sad about some fictional character dying in a film/series/book? Are you saying, that everyone who was sad about eg.

Dumbledore's

death had a weak personality and therefore their sadness is silly? And now we are talking about completely fictional and made up character, whose existance you discovered by rdeciphering some man-made symbols on a thin sheet of mashed up wood.

Sorry, you're totally right. It's insane to be mad about a band disbanding.

During X JAPAN's prime-time, the term "Visual Kei" was not even an issue yet. They co-existed with formations in hair-and glam metal, or speed-and thrash metal. X JAPAN was a concoction of all with all of their records having a different sound, and during the 80's there was a relatively large portion of bands who did indeed fit this bill as well. Think W.A.S.P., certain Mötley Crüe records, Lizzy Borden, Skid Row's "Slave To The Grind", WRATHCHILD, you name it. These were "hair band" formations with a metal sound, and just like Visual Kei, the term "hair metal" came in a wide range as it merely pointed out the visuals. Now, they weren't Testament or Exodus, but you get the big picture. If you really desire to step into the bubbly side of glam, go and try Queeny Blast Pop, Peppermint Creeps or Stars From Mars to name a beginning — it's an exaggerated fissure between the genres, but I think in this case it's easier to distinguish. 

I wasn't sarcastic. Teenagers and overly sentimental attachment music.. well, puberty, right? And music is not the same as the musician. Soundwaves and flesh, they're different things. Emotional attachment to a song: fine. Emotional attachment to the stranger who made the song and decides to move on to other things in their life you are not a part of: odd and misplaced. I understand teens may feel more attached to a musician because they're not only looking for comfort and/or entertainment, they may also be looking for heroes to look up to. That's not wrong or sad, no, but it is a sign of a weaker character in my eyes. Then again, everyone was weak and insecure at some point when they're young.

Yes I judge people if they cry over some musician who calls it quits. It shows they are weak (I might add at that point in their lives). That is my unpopular opinion. :lovely: You judge people who judge people who cry over some musician who calls it quits. And Earth makes another rotation and another and another.

It's generally seen as their best by a lot of DIR EN GREY listeners so how unpopular is this opinion exactly? ;)

thats news to me actually. I'm kinda oblivious to the listeners favorites.

but I think its a masterpiece.

on that X Japan discussion. Its metal. I hear power metal and thats enough for me to say its a metal band.

At this point, i think both here on MH and many VK fans in general need to actually wake up and smell the coffee. NONE of these bands, no matter how popular they are or how well you think they look are sound, are guaranteed to stay active. 

People growing an emotional attachment to a group, for me, is not nearly as bad as the cult-like mentality some VK fans can exhibit towards members of these bands; but this happens throughout other genres of popular music. Setting aside all the "shipping" nonsense, why the hell are things like "Blood Type", "favorite cigarettes", or any other random information relevant on a band bio? Do I really need to know if Band Member X's blood type matches mine? If Aoi is bleeding out (for some reason...), does that mean I can be there for him?

In my erotic novels, I will always be there to give blood to Aoi because he's a vampire prince who escaped imprisonment in the 1600s (this would fall under the "Edo Period" for you baka gaijin) to be with me, and he needs to turn me into his vampire princess so his life force can be restored. Luckily, we're the same Blood Type!!!

During X JAPAN's prime-time, the term "Visual Kei" was not even an issue yet. They co-existed with formations in hair-and glam metal, or speed-and thrash metal. X JAPAN was a concoction of all with all of their records having a different sound, and during the 80's there was a relatively large portion of bands who did indeed fit this bill as well. Think W.A.S.P., certain Mötley Crüe records, Lizzy Borden, Skid Row's "Slave To The Grind", WRATHCHILD, you name it. These were "hair band" formations with a metal sound, and just like Visual Kei, the term "hair metal" came in a wide range as it merely pointed out the visuals. Now, they weren't Testament or Exodus, but you get the big picture. If you really desire to step into the bubbly side of glam, go and try Queeny Blast Pop, Peppermint Creeps or Stars From Mars to name a beginning — it's an exaggerated fissure between the genres, but I think in this case it's easier to distinguish. 

^Oh no, I thought my days of hearing the names Queeny Blast Pop and Peppermint Creeps were over when I stopped posting on hair metal forums. :-o

Now you just need to talk about how Warrant's Dog Eat Dog album is a lost masterpiece and it'll feel just like home. :wink: