Champ213

Any old school bands?

2003-2007 stuff

For albums, definitely try out 哀愁のアンティーク. 是空 and 朽木の灯 seem to be fan favourites.

For an idea of what they sound like these days, check out ENDER ENDER and 故に、摩天楼. I'm ONLY recommending them for observational purposes, you may not like them AT ALL. XD

Also, I really like 流星 and ガーベラ from 極彩 (2006). They're a bit different from the 2004 and earlier sound, but still nice.

Also[2], I think this should be moved to the music recommendations thread. never mind

Homura Uta (2002), Zekuu (2003) and Kuchiki no Tou (2004) are all worth a listen. Their pre-Homura Uta stuff seems to be widely liked too, but I'm not too familiar with those.

Basically this. If "Ware, arubeki Basho" is your starting point, then these are what I'd recommend as well.

I'd also maybe their "Worst of Mucc" and "Coupling Worst" releases. They focus on the same era, iirc.

Well, my favorite album by them is Kyuutai, but it's really different from the Waga, Arubeki Basho era. If you want to stick to that sound, get Kuchiki no Tou, which is also a pretty wicked album.

I also recommend Shion, Shangri-la and THE END OF THE WORLD, pretty nice albuns IMO. Karma is poppy as hell, so stay away from it.

Zeku, Tsuzetsu and the two EPs are the way to go. Homnura Uta have plenty of good songs as well, but as an album it's 25-30 minutes too long and include übershit like Mae e. And there's no reason to check out anything released after Hoyoku IMO. The albums after are just proper shit like.

Well, my favorite album by them is Kyuutai, but it's really different from the Waga, Arubeki Basho era. If you want to stick to that sound, get Kuchiki no Tou, which is also a pretty wicked album.

I also recommend Shion, Shangri-la and THE END OF THE WORLD, pretty nice albuns IMO. Karma is poppy as hell, so stay away from it.

I see nothing wrong with Karma.

Can anyone name artists similar to Wagakkiband?

Checked them from the ChristMHas thread, quite like the mix of traditional japanese and rock. But only know Kagrra as something remotely close.

^ You should totally check out Crow×Class, I think one of the members is the same actually.

Oto-oni were a nice band with a traditional flavor too, tho different from (and heavier) than the previously mentioned bands...

Can anyone name artists similar to Wagakkiband?

Checked them from the ChristMHas thread, quite like the mix of traditional japanese and rock. But only know Kagrra as something remotely close.

Quaff used to be a favorite of mine for this but they are inactive now.

Also if you don't mind heavier stuff there is Harvest, and Rikugo, but their traditional sense is more in the vocals than anything.

Also, not traditional music but the guitarist from Wagakki Band is also in ma:t.ure so I recommend checking them out as well.

I am very, how you say, "out of the loop" with most of the current visual-kei scene.  For a more direct request, what would some of the most relevant current Nagoya-kei bands be?  I'm a huge aie/deadman fan and have followed all of his projects very closely, but who should I be listening to outside of aie's work?

And for a...broader request, who do you feel to be some of the most "stand-out" current visual-kei bands?  Not confined to any particular style, just a few talented acts that are a cut above the rest, in your opinion.

Thank you!

Can someone recommend me a rock band with a vocalist with a deep voice? Preferably non-VK, but something towards the lighter, catchier end of VK would be cool too. I find I usually go for higher pitched vocalists and I want to try to branch out a bit.

^Thanks sai, they seem cool and the catchiness I'm looking for is definitely there, but I think what I'm looking for is vocals that are a bit more towards the opposite extreme.

I mean a really noticeable deep/low voice. Like tezya-level deep, or just above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=F1HwEFTpJhU#t=569

Wow, I never realized how few lower register vocalists I have in my playlists. O_O It was really hard to find any, the vocalist from GOLIATH is probably the closest thing got to recommend.

Worth a check anyway, if you're not already familiar.

I am very, how you say, "out of the loop" with most of the current visual-kei scene.  For a more direct request, what would some of the most relevant current Nagoya-kei bands be?  I'm a huge aie/deadman fan and have followed all of his projects very closely, but who should I be listening to outside of aie's work?

And for a...broader request, who do you feel to be some of the most "stand-out" current visual-kei bands?  Not confined to any particular style, just a few talented acts that are a cut above the  rest, in your opinion.

Thank you!

This is difficult because I don't think there's anything to recommend you in either case. Nagoya kei doesn't exist in the same form that it used to a few years back. All the newcomers that used all or part of that aesthetic have disbanded, changed style, or went on hiatus. Aie is the only visual kei musician that still clings to that sound, so outside of the god and death stars I think you're out of luck. Silence is still active and just released something new but their release schedule is erratic so I never know when to expect a new release. There could be one or two more but I don't know them and they must not have many fans.

As for the second one, that's difficult too. My opinion of the scene currently is that there aren't a lot of bands that are a cut above the rest. Most bands hover around the average mark and of course some just aren't good but that's every music scene. Anything I would recommend to you without knowing your taste more is stuff that's either not "technically" visual or things anybody else would recommend: KAMIJO, Wagakki-Band, etc.

Granted I'm not the best person to answer these questions but I tried to be as helpful as I could.

Would anyone give me some recommendations of vk band/song(s) which is good with acoustic instruments? I’d like to know some vk band/song(s) which doesn’t feel too heavy to be listened to

mmm... something similar to Moran’s Hika ni Nijimu or Rentrer en Soi's Unshinawareta Fuukei no Yume

Thank you in advance

Would anyone give me some recommendations of vk band/song(s) which is good with acoustic instruments? I’d like to know some vk band/song(s) which doesn’t feel too heavy to be listened to

mmm... something similar to Moran’s Hika ni Nijimu or Rentrer en Soi's Unshinawareta Fuukei no Yume

Thank you in advance

I remember you saying early you are just starting to explore the VK/J-Rock scene, so I'll try to give you some big names that usually have a big following in J-Music circles.

For me personally, I would like to recommend to you Dir en grey's Undecided -glass skin vers.-.  This was a B-Side off the Glass Skin single, but the original is also amazing - but not all acoustic.  It has the same melancholy sound as the RES track you mentioned.

Diru has many other great acoustic tracks too - if you are interested I'll recommend more from them.

Gackt also featured a lot of acoustic arrangements in his career, even an entire acoustic album, "The Seventh Night".  However, I always like the track Tsuki no Uta from his acoustic offerings most.

The GazettE have featured some acoustic tracks too - Last Heaven from their latest release is a good example of that, although I prefer the partial acoustic track by them, Reila. or the song DLN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEuoYyxPqt4

If you like any of these, let me know and I can try to look up even more.

For me personally, I would like to recommend to you Dir en grey's Undecided -glass skin vers.-.  This was a B-Side off the Glass Skin single, but the original is also amazing - but not all acoustic.  It has the same melancholy sound as the RES track you mentioned.

Diru has many other great acoustic tracks too - if you are interested I'll recommend more from them.

If you like any of these, let me know and I can try to look up even more.

Take Dir en Grey's Undecided; it's just what I want

I'd like to know more tracks like that one from Dir en Grey,

Thanks for your help

^ Great!  In that case, try the following from Dir en grey:

蟲 [Mushi] from 鬼葬 [Kisou]

The Pledge (Unplugged Version) from The Marrow of a Bone

流転の塔 [Ruten no Tou] (Acoustic Ver.) from Sustain the Untruth (Single)

悲劇は目蓋を下ろした優しき鬱 [Higeki wa Mabuta wo Oroshita Yasashiki Utsu] from Withering to Death

... and some semi-Acoustic songs from them that have a similar vibe:

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み [Namamekashiki Ansoku, Tamerai ni Hohoemi] from The Marrow of a Bone

我、闇とて・・・ [Ware, Yami Tote...] from Uroboros

Undecided (Original Version) from 鬼葬 [Kisou]

アクロの丘 [Akuro No Oka] from Gauze

You can also try Without a Trace by The GazettE, 壊れていく世界 (Kowareteiku sekai) by Girugamesh, and one of my favorite acoustic instrumentals, Zero by Janne da Arc (a disbanded J-Rock band).

^ Great!  In that case, try the following from Dir en grey:

蟲 [Mushi] from 鬼葬 [Kisou]

悲劇は目蓋を下ろした優しき鬱 [Higeki wa Mabuta wo Oroshita Yasashiki Utsu] from Withering to Death

... and some semi-Acoustic songs from them that have a similar vibe:

Undecided (Original Version) from 鬼葬 [Kisou]

is very beautiful. The original version of Undecided is also as good as the acoustic version (>_<)

From your suggestion's I feel something like 'an acoustic line pattern'. I wonder if it's because I put Rentrer en Soi's Ushinawareta Fuukei no Yume or it's a distinct pattern of Dir en Grey, but they surely have great acoustic tracks.

Thank you for your suggestions!

^I would like to add らせん by lynch. and the acoustic arrangement of 傷 by ALSDEAD to the already nice recs TheStoic made, hope you like them Mabuta!

Thank you for the suggestions!  by ALSDEAD has gooooooooooood acoustic melody,

but somehow, at some parts, I feel the vocals like 'disconnected' from the instruments.... mmm... how to say it...

it feels like the instruments and vocals were recorded separately for two different-but-similar songs, and then they were just mixed together

But please don't mind about it,  by ALSDEAD is a good track anyway.

I had been wondering if anyone could aid me in finding some new tunes in relation to an oldish musician I really adore. I'd prefer if it was from around her time, like the proper old (it's not even that old xD) lot because I think I listen to a bit too much modern/new musicians all the time. Just to note, this time period is around 1984. It'd be awesome to go into and try something new/different for a change, with the music I'm enjoying more and more. I left this until now, and felt brave enough to ask only now because I haven't been able to make recs to anyone else and have felt bad about that so... please bare with me and I will get to someone. ;;

So, I have recently gotten into anything and everything Togawa Jun related so any music similar to her bands/solo/collabs, I would be highly grateful for! Any recommendations are always appreciated.

Sample track: