darkyuki

nightmare

Lol funny how you don't mention TO BE OR NOT TO BE (their newest album ;)). Good thing, stay away from that.

@Sai You as a moderator have some sort of responsibility. Majestical parade? Did everyone forget about the huge disappointment it was after the AVEX albums came out? :D

I would say, giving more time to SCUMS is definitely worth it. And if that doesn't do it, try the other ones mentioned.

Other than that, Libido (2004) is also very strong in my opinion.

@Sai You as a moderator have some sort of responsibility. Majestical parade? Did everyone forget about the huge disappointment it was after the AVEX albums came out? :D

Responsibilities? As in, not being an elitist douche towards other members because they like different things than I do? Lmao, at least I myself have that settled.

@ Vitne - Let me know what you think about it! Like I said before, quite a bit of their (14-people) fanbase tend to dislike this album. I'm curious what you think about it :D

has anyone by chance taken a listen into the new single blur?

I must say, the instrumentals are not bad. especially buddies. but yomi just sounds like shit and messes it up the moment he starts singing.

I must say, the instrumentals are not bad. especially buddies. but yomi just sounds like shit and messes it up the moment he starts singing.

this sums up my own take on it.

a good vocalist has a positive effect: he adds to the already excellent instrumentals and reinforces the overall quality of the song. a mediocre one has no effect whatsoever - he's as good as not being there. a shitty one contributes negatively by destroying whatever good work the band did before he opens his mouth. As things stand I'm afraid Yomi belongs to the last category.

I personally haven't listened to Nightmare in a long time (the last release I heard by them was a single somewhere in 2011), but I decided to watch that video DogManX posted just out of curiosity. Is it just me, or does Yomi sound....really off and frankly quite terrible here? I mean the few Nightmare songs I have he sounds like he should but this just feels weird.

I personally haven't listened to Nightmare in a long time (the last release I heard by them was a single somewhere in 2011), but I decided to watch that video DogManX posted just out of curiosity. Is it just me, or does Yomi sound....really off and frankly quite terrible here? I mean the few Nightmare songs I have he sounds like he should but this just feels weird.

it's not just you. sad to say, the 'good instrumentals + bad vocals' have been going on in the last couple of releases.. i remember it was exactly the same thing in their Gallows preview.

Deus ex machina was probably the last Nightmare song i can bear listening to; even there you could sense Yomi'is vocals were kinda coming apart, except the song is so good it papered over the shortcomings in his delivery. TABOO and blur on the other hand are just unlistenable.

it's not just you. sad to say, the 'good instrumentals + bad vocals' have been going on in the last couple of releases.. i remember it was exactly the same thing in their Gallows preview.

Deus ex machina was probably the last Nightmare song i can bear listening to; even there you could sense Yomi'is vocals were kinda coming apart, except the song is so good it papered over the shortcomings in his delivery. TABOO and blur on the other hand are just unlistenable.

For me the weird vocals started back in 2009 with MP. To that point his voice really was all fine. But as it is right now it doesn't fit into a band like this. It's like a wannabe-opera singer trying to do poprock. Even Hitsugi was more listenable in his solo project.

Reviving due to that new album release. I am surprised not to see any thoughts/opinions on it yet and even a review. So, what did you guys make of it?

I only listened to them occasionally and have given their albums 'The WORLD Ruler' and 'Killer Show' listens, but haven't returned to them for a bit. I enjoyed them loads though and I personally think, while this album started off pretty weak, it progressed into a strong one with stand out points in later songs. I'm not impressed, but I'm happy to have given it a listen mainly due to the later part of it being quite catchy and fun.

Reviving due to that new album release. I am surprised not to see any thoughts/opinions on it yet and even a review. So, what did you guys make of it?

I only listened to them occasionally and have given their albums 'The WORLD Ruler' and 'Killer Show' listens, but haven't returned to them for a bit. I enjoyed them loads though and I personally think, while this album started off pretty weak, it progressed into a strong one with stand out points in later songs. I'm not impressed, but I'm happy to have given it a listen mainly due to the later part of it being quite catchy and fun.

I was saving my opinion to the March's bests review Beni-chan lol

They were my very first japanese band, for me they only loses to BORN XD

I know after changing label Vap to Avex, they lost quality, I can count on fingers the songs I really enjoyed after they joined Avex, like Deus ex machina, swallowtail, 404 and etc... maybe they are becoming out of ideas to songs.

About this release, it's a good Full Album, in my opinion better than SCUMS and TO BE OR NOT TO BE. There are good songs like 入滅-entering nirvana-, Quints, Demand and NAMELESS.

Having fallen out of love with this band for about a year now, This album was really refreshing. It's a great step past TABOO. Granted i did enjoy some tracks of of to be or not to be, but this album surpasses it by far. I can just skip over TABOO. lol. But yeah I'm surprised that no one has reviewed it yet either. Glad to say that I've got my eye and ears on them again. 

Perhaps call me extremely biased but I feel Nightmare has stayed very relevant for the last several years for me. Every album since the self-titled has just felt like hit after hit. Each has its own experimentations and differences but compared to some other releases, I've been very satisfied with their work. I'm just happy they're still releasing an album each year with all their side projects like Ruka with The Legendary Six Nine, Hitsugi and Gremlins. Heck, even their parody band Sendai Komatsu has been productive in recent years. I mean, for a band that's been around a long time and is touring constantly, I think they're more than exceeding my expectations. They have avoided completely selling out their sound and doing a 180 musically unlike a few long term visual kei bands I could mention. Nightmare has always been a little diverse, as they can efficiently make a jazzy b-side and not completely dispell their 'nightmare' presence, kinda like Mucc has managed to do with all their sounds.

I know this is all just my own opinion but this is why I look forward to anything nightmare comes out with from here.

Also, I love Yomi's vocals, I like that some of the newer songs, he sang in his natural vocal range, without using his 'visual kei' styled vibrato that we hear every other VK band imitate. Call me weird, but I actually like different vocal styles in VK bands.

Well I think the new album featured some good new ideas that just hadn't good exposition. Many people bashed on their self-ripoff songs on that album, while I just got the feeling that most of it was very intentional. You don't really know at the end which of the two positions is more valid, it really comes down to intuition lol.

After TBONTB (and *especially TABOO) I was ready to kick them off. But this album kinda made a step into a redeeming direction. Not quite, but at least I get the feeling of it.

and @nekki .. yeah, that is sadly true. in fact they stopped being special pretty much in 2008 already. And I get the feeling this is more of a "kind attitude" towards it.

They're not as good as they were at their peak and that gets them a lot of bashing and animosity, but that's why it was a peak in the first place. I'm under the impression people don't get that and shit on them a lot more than they deserve.

They're still very good band but they are going to have a problem with Yomi's performance in the future. I'm pretty sure they will try to get around it with song arrangement but I don't think it's going to work out. I think they should be thinking about replacing him but I think they just rather disband because of their personal involvement.

Talking just about how Yomi contributes to the band now, it's going to be downhill from here. He doesn't eve write lyrcis since Majestical Parade. He also may be hard to replace since he still has a very distinc sound when he gets it right.

and @nekki .. yeah, that is sadly true. in fact they stopped being special pretty much in 2008 already. And I get the feeling this is more of a "kind attitude" towards it.

my fav nightmare is around ribido era tbh. almost ALL of their singles are horrific these days, but this album was a surprisingly good relapse. it is sweet, and cohesive, and got some naughty cute stuff to #humming-for-bae kind of.

Talking just about how Yomi contributes to the band now,

looking good since 2001 is his full-time occupation, I think he's completely valid for that, nope? vocal wise he is a mess tbh, but I have no clue what's going on with his vocals tbh. blur and onwards recent singles all sound like one unending tuberculosis/worst flu ever recording sessions hell tbh

probably fucked up his chords during touring or smth. still solid sound overall, their sound engineering always slays.

yeah, my favourites are stocked somewhere during the indi era and then from libido -> world ruler.

the thing about yomi si he's an *amazing* live vocalist. in fact he's so good most of the time you forget about the album quality. he'll stick until the bitter end for sure.

He has been sounding a bit iffy since 2011 and from interviews I lean tho think that he was trying to sound deeper some time ago and smoked much more to get that. Now it seems to getting back at him and fucking up his range. That would also explain why he sounds lower on Majestical Parade, Gianizm and NIGHTMARE.  

I also think libido is one of their finest and is mostly overlooked for not being anima or World Ruler. But that happens with all the rest their albums all the time imho.

Nightmare hasn't been doing it for me for many years now but Hitsugi's side band Gremlins was a pleasant surprise, I hope he keeps releasing new stuff for them. 

SCUMS was not a good introduction to them for me.  I haven't been very interested in them since.  I know I need to check out earlier stuff, but I haven't yet.  SCUMS made them come across to me as a band that's trying too hard to be different...and, well, it's strange.

SCUMS was not a good introduction to them for me.  I haven't been very interested in them since.  I know I need to check out earlier stuff, but I haven't yet.  SCUMS made them come across to me as a band that's trying too hard to be different...and, well, it's strange.

It's probably their weirdest album and absolutely not their best. I suggest you try any other work of theirs, there is quite a lot to choose from.

it's a good album. throw out ass(aulter) and it's all good. dunno what you people have with this. there are far worse releases like the previous and next one.

its not bad, but definitely not close to their best. Its an okay album.

I suggest their self-titled one, which is imo their best.