darkyuki

nightmare

You better suggest a grizzly's turd. We're talking about the BEST album. Not the .. worst.

exactly, throw SCUMS out of the window, and play NIGHTMARE ;)

I don't think you're going to ever agree on this, DogMan, bada. Nightmare albums have been pretty consistent on their quality imo so favorites and hated ones are mostly a matter of personal inclination towards the styles they have been exploring thoughout the years. The only exception would be Anima that seem loved by most if not all Nightmare's fans.

I honestly would recomend Nightmare or To Be or not To Be before Scums. As an entry point Libido is probably the safest to go with. It's neither their best or their worst and it's not overly thematic or all over the place like other works of theirs so people cant get a decent most common denominator style for their music from listening to it.

I don't think you're going to ever agree on this, DogMan, bada. Nightmare albums have been pretty consistent on their quality imo so favorites and hated ones are mostly a matter of personal inclination towards the styles they have been exploring thoughout the years. The only exception would be Anima that seem loved by most if not all Nightmare's fans.

Agreed. I didn't like Scums at all (except Deus ex machina) and To be or not to be is even worse (sorry) - I don't even remember how half of the tracks on those 2 albums combined sound like. Their self-titled was better for me, although I have to confess that I was rather lukewarm towards it until I heard the songs live at their tour stop in Kyoto. Someone mentioned in another thread that some bands' music are more enjoyable live than recorded and Nightmare definitely falls into that category imo.

Personally i would recommend majestical parade ahead of all of those three - but that's just me. Seconding anima too of course :D

I honestly would recomend Nightmare or To Be or not To Be before Scums. As an entry point Libido is probably the safest to go with. It's neither their best or their worst and it's not overly thematic or all over the place like other works of theirs so people cant get a decent most common denominator style for their music from listening to it.

You're right tho, its all about opinion. But calling NIGHTMARE a grizzly's turd, and then saying SCUMS is good, thats just.. wow

I bet he's as surprised and dissapointed as you are. Just move on.

you're right, i got carried away. Ahum.. to each his own.. I guess

I'm seriously shocked. And imagine me saing this in british accent. There are kids dying in syria and iraq, and you perfer NIGHTMARE over SCUMS? What has the world come to?

I'd rather eat a roadkilled toad sweetened with stinky tofu than listening to that album ever again!

The hatred towards SCUMS is a tadddd bit exaggerated if you ask me. Even I was guilty of my harsh feelings towards that album before doing an open-minded re-listen recently. Its just hella different compared to the kickass-ness that was Libido, Majestical Parade, and Anima (only albums ive checked out so far). There's many albums in the entirety of VK that deserve the flack they get. SCUMS is def not one of em.

EDIT: Some of the best guitar work is on that album too, i noticed.

Since everybody is talking about, SCUMS and NIGHTMARE, I will talk too :)

SCUMS it's not a album I can say is amazing and etc.

There are only 3 songs there I really enjoyed, they are: Deus ex machina (by far, my best track from this "new nightmare"), 404, and 終わる世界の…

About NIGHTMARE, is kind different... I loved it.

My fav is swallowtail, but I got to like some others tracks like Cherish, eleven, sorrow of the deceiver, Dazzle.

I think NIGHTMARE, just get too much "hype" by some fans, cos was going to be their first full album after they joined Avex. Also bringing two "reprint editions" from their very last works from VAP too, for me they could have release it as a 3 track bonus on their previous singles on that time.

Well, honestly NIGHTMARE was much more well recieved than Majestical Parade in my experience. The funny thing is that people that disliked NIGHTMARE claimed that Majestical was  better. And when SCUMS came around people disliked it and said NIGHTMARE was better. This has happened with this band since The World Ruler. People said it was crap compared to Anima when it was released but TWR brought a lot of people in to the fanbase that crapped all over Killer Show when it came out, and then Majestical. This trend seem to have stopped since To Be or Not to Be wich has been less disliked than SCUMS in my experience, same with Carpe Diem, that was more praised that TBoNtB.

I listened to Carpe Diem last night and sent that shit right to my recycle bin after. Alongside the lackluster compositions of basically the entire album besides the intro (Nightmare seems to have a streak of boss opening songs btw), Yomi's vocals were what did it for me. I legit spent the time listening, saying "who the hell is this nigga that they replaced Yomi with?"

I may listen to it later down the line but man...as of now

WTF.

My favorite Nightmare albums are Majestical Parade and Ultimate Circus,

After Nightmare(album) I stopped paying to them attention, but still, they used to be in my top 3 favorite vk bands. I just can't listen Yomi's voice anymore. I can't believe they already released three albums after Nightmare, i think i should  listen them someday.

Just a little thing in between:

I just read the Quints lyrics out of curiosity and .. well.. is it what I think it is?

Is this place we're dreaming of
That place that we'd always been dreaming of?
No matter how you ask
There is no answer anywhere

Even if what's visible to me is invisible to you
My reason for existing won't disappear

I've seen the scenery
You've given up on several times
But it's a lawless area
Not something I was able to watch

(I need) No more lyric that tells a lie.
& No more music that makes money.
I know It's contradiction.
Because maybe I love it.

Count my fingers. 1,2,3,4,5
& Count my buddies. 1,2,3,4,5
I know (that) we are still alive.
I believe we can do everything.

It's said there was peace in this place once
But the idiots with power have almost destroyed it

Words essential to us
And more important than anything else
Are buried in rubbish that's only for appearances
And we can't find them

Because maybe I love it.

If we keep on in this hell
Then one horn, two horns will grow out
We'll crush that with our own hands
And dream again over and over

Because maybe I love it.

It's really strange. It appears to me the lyrics are about their current situation with AVEX and they're aware of their sellout status. But would they ever do this? I mean usually Nightmare lyrics are very poetic, romantic and metaphorical. But these are strangely focused. Would love to know your interpretation or if I just tripped xD

I think a few VK bands are going thru this phase right now, particularly Gazette.

Gazette? I think you mistook phase for carreer there.

I mean writing songs about being disenchanted with the VK scene. Though, I guess... yeah, they've been doing that for the majority of their career. At least Stacked Rubbish.

It's not surprising that the older bands write about this. A lot of the older musicians who are about +35 years in age often say in interviews that for them, the Visual Kei scene has entirely lost its magic (Kamijo, Kenzi, Kyouka, Yoshiki, etc. — those are just the guys I remember plainly stating this off the top of my head). Thus writing lyrics about the new scene 'destroying' the old magic doesn't come as something new. It's actually pretty relatable.

Wow didn't know that :)

Do yall remember when hell was breaking loose about the MP album? Now after all those avex releases (excl. scums... ^^) I finally took a listen again and ... well.. it's a pretty good album isn't it? In moments like that I just realize on how high horses people sat back then.

I have to wonder what exactly is Nightmare's appeal? When I first heard Ultimate Circus and Livid, I had no idea that these guys would still be active and relevant a decade later. Then I heard Anima and saw they had huge potential. After that, though, every album has merely been okay to awful, with great songs scattered amongst a bunch of mediocre ones.

So, I mean, I guess I just don't get it? They don't stand out when compared with other VK bands of their time. I thought they were aiming to be sort of the Luna Sea for a new generation, but that was mostly because Sakito is one of thousands of Sugizo wannabes. I don't hate Nightmare, I just very rarely get the urge to listen to them. If I do it's usually Anima, sometimes Livid, on rare occasion it's Killer Show.

At least for me when i first came across them, the WORLD was used for the OP of Deathnote and i thought it was a cool song. So was Alumina. Then I listened to ANIMA and that's where they caught my attention. The song writing, cool guitar parts, man the whole package was just awesome. That alongside LIBIDO, MP, i believe a few others were enough to show that they did have their own raw distinct sound (GIANISM they call it?).

They're more or less like the GazettE with sticking to this core style but the difference is that a lot of the recent batch of albums (minus SCUMS), there's no real punch in many of the songs. No spark. Its like they're just pumping these songs out for the hell of it. 

Their appeal? Great guitar work, great atmosphere, and power in simplicity at the same time. Of course the vocals were MUCH more bearable back in the times before NIGHTMARE (album). They were of the first neo VK bands around the new millennium, yet they did not at all define the sound of said movement.

Of course today they are sellouts, and way below what they used to be. Which is sad.

I mean I could ask the same about the Gazette. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about them (aside maybe from unusual good mixing/mastering) and their vocalist has ALWAYS sounded horrible. But this is the thing about music. Sometimes an "I don't like it so I won't ask for answers I will not accept anyway" is put much better.

I've never liked Yomi as a vocalist. His singing doesn't sound natural, like he's forcing himself to sound the way he does. I actually think Ruki has improved, his problem is that he doesn't offer much variety in terms of melody or phrasing.

But, honestly, there aren't very many great VK vocalists.