SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

I've been playing Far Cry 4 for a bit. Playing on the hard difficulty with several settings off (like aim assists, grenade indicators) and at first I died a lot but now that I am used to the gameplay again... it's still rather easy and a little disappointing.

Sure, there are elephants, there's a James Bond You Only Live Twice kind of mini helicopter and a wingsuit you can use. But the latter two are mostly used to travel around quickly. You gain good weaponry and killer abilities far too quickly in this game and much of the gameplay is exactly the same as in Far Cry 3.

Co-op mode is okay I guess but relies heavily on the use of a headset. There are some signals you can give to your co-op partner but they are much too limited (you can't even tell them you need to collect some ammo, so you leave them utterly confused when you go out of your way to buy some at the nearest settlement).

Multiplayer (player versus player) matches are downright terrible. 2 teams, 5 players per team. One team uses standard weaponry like machine guns and the other team uses 'nature' to summon animals like tigers and eagles and are allowed to use bows and arrows with enhancements and stuff. Also, they are nearly invisible when crouching. So it's stealth and tactics versus machine guns and rocket launchers. A neat idea... if this was an OPTION, but it's not an option. All the game modes are like this. It's not very satisfying. Why not put 16 or 32 players on the map roaming around doing all kinds of missions? Why not invade a heavily armored fortress with a team of 8 players? Why not defend a location while the AI sends in waves of enemies? So many logical options here, but there's none of this!

They had a good thing going with the series with Far Cry 2 and I'm starting to feel some nostalgia for that one. It had its flaws but it was very rewarding and a very immersive experience. In #3 you're just some kind of teenage Rambo and in #4 you are that same Rambo except on an elephant.

I'll complete the game because it's not too bad but the entire game's design is far too simple and doesn't excel at anything. It's pick-up, play, throw away. Not a memorable game. :(

I borrowed Dead Island for my girlfriend to play a long time because I thought it would be something she'd like, and I was right. She started playing it yesterday and now she can't stop. I knew I wouldn't like, because I am good that way. But this is even worse than I had predicted. Everything about it looks so fucking shit. The gameplay looks ultraboring and there's no atmoshere whatsoever. Jesus christ. Happy for her, but how shit like this can get very popular is beyond me.

I would like to see you rip the 'sequel' to shreds. Dead Island: Riptide is basically the same game except on another island. Wonder what they'll do with Dead Island 2 which should come out this year. The killing zombies-genre needs something fresh to keep it going. Now it's just rotten meat.

I started playing XCOM Enemy Unknown a few days ago. It's quite addicting but unforgiving as well in its gameplay. When one of my guys have a 98% shooting accuracy in point blank range, he or she STILL misses. I'm usually forced to start the mission over when one of my squad mate dies.

I borrowed Dead Island for my girlfriend to play a long time because I thought it would be something she'd like, and I was right. She started playing it yesterday and now she can't stop. I knew I wouldn't like, because I am good that way. But this is even worse than I had predicted. Everything about it looks so fucking shit. The gameplay looks ultraboring and there's no atmoshere whatsoever. Jesus christ. Happy for her, but how shit like this can get very popular is beyond me.

believe it or not dead Island is actually considered to be a decent game. Don't get me wrong it's definitely not amazing and it has many flaws but the zombie killing core of the game is actually fun for a while and crafting new and exciting weapons along with leveling and gaining new abilities to add to your arsenal is actually quite entertaining for a while.

altho I would have to agree Riptide is pretty awful just based on the fact that it's the same game just a different island and... so lazy. but the core that was fun and still is fun was still intact so if you don't mind the recycled game it can be fun as well for a little while.basically my point is that there is way more shit games than dead island out there :D

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, Dead Island is one of the few games that have gotten zombie melee combat right.... that's something that they should definitely be praised for.

Picked up Bioshock Infinite again. I'm absolutely terrible at shooters but I love this game. It's so well made and you can see how much time and effort the developers put into the graphics, the environment, the story and the characters! Elizabeth is a great companion and I love how she's constantly present, not only physically but also during battle and when you're just walking around with a little chit-chat.

believe it or not dead Island is actually considered to be a decent game. Don't get me wrong it's definitely not amazing and it has many flaws but the zombie killing core of the game is actually fun for a while and crafting new and exciting weapons along with leveling and gaining new abilities to add to your arsenal is actually quite entertaining for a while.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, Dead Island is one of the few games that have gotten zombie melee combat right.... that's something that they should definitely be praised for.

I know it's considered a decent game, and that's what bothers me a bit. I just don't get it. My girlfriend's been playing it for hours now and it's just the same again and again and again. She does the same over and over again.

And while boring gameplay don't necessary equal a bad game, it'll need something to make up for it. But for me, Dead Island has no positive qualities whatsoever. And it takes itsef way too serious for my taste. With some humor and some more over the top elements it could easily have become a playable game (for me).

Far Cry: Blood Dragon is a game I finished "recently" that belongs to the boring gameplay category, but for everything it does wrong it does two things right. The gamelay itself isn't very interesting. Same old, same old and all that shit. But the setting, humor, characters and soundtrack is right up my alley and just hit me straight into the heart, an those things combined made me look right past the gameplay.

But yeah, Dead Island does nothing right for me. Absolutely nothing at all.

play it then judge it. it's not good to judge something on appearances, It might just be the way your girlfriend is playing the game and that is why it looks boring to you. give it a try yourself and play it the way you want to, there are endless ways to play a game and never one right way but many different play styles.

I started playing Landstalker a few days ago. It's pretty much a Legend of Zelda ripoff for the Sega Genesis. Developed by the same team that went on to develop Alundra though, so it's enjoyable shit.

Laughing forever at how they turned a really, really obvious brothel into a 'ballet school' in the English translation lmao

play it then judge it. it's not good to judge something on appearances, It might just be the way your girlfriend is playing the game and that is why it looks boring to you. give it a try yourself and play it the way you want to, there are endless ways to play a game and never one right way but many different play styles.

That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not gonna do it simply because I know what I like and not. I'm very picky and selective when it comes to modern gaming, and just by looking at something I'll know if I'll like it or not. Sounds stupid? Maybe, but I know what I know.

Been playing the 3DS most of the time since Christmas thanks to being addicted to Fire Emblem. This game is now my life, no joke. And because my actual shipping of my own character and other characters in the game can be official, I am having a great time being married and having kids with my video game crush. x')

Also, the game Catherine I had got as a late Christmas present I've finally given a go at playing. Just as addicted to this as my 3DS, lol. I must say, this has been my finest choices in Christmas presents in a while!

I'm finally catching up with my backlog, which presently consists of Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Valkyria Chronicles (PC), and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PC). I was playing & (mostly) enjoying SMT IV for quite a while, but then the PC release of Valkyria basically took away all of my attention when it was released; then as I was working on getting the last few decorations/trophies for 100% completion, the PC port of Ground Zeroes took over my life instead. Now I'm just trying to finish up all three of them (100% for VC & GZ, and just however much I feel like completing in my SMT IV playthrough). FInally, I'm still casually speedrunning Mirror's Edge whenever I'm in the mood/bored.

Finding the time for all of this hasn't been particularly easy with exams and constant plug sessions, though :P

I started playing Saints Row IV two days ago on my laptop. I wanted to play this game for so long and then this weekend Steam put it for free trial for some days and promo. I first downloaded it to play a little and then decided to buy it. Only played one hour of the game (had no time for it yesterday), but it's pretty funny. I hope I don't drop it as I do with most games.

finally after 170 hours i finished dragon age inquisition.

next on the map is xenoblade chronicles on dolphin emulator seeing how hype everyone seems to be about it...

EDIT: i'm not sure if i somehow fucked up the config for my 360-pad, but is it normal that the camera in xenoblade feels like i'm maneuvering a bus through drying slime? it's extremely sluggish wich sucks bigtime and i'm already tempted to ditch it and try sth else, as the performace on the emulator also has some major issues when much is going on...

3rd case of AAI2 was fucking brilliant.

at last after 18 years Miles managed to dot the i's regarding his father's last case. i couldn't even imagine that the truth about that incident will ever be revealed.

finally after 170 hours i finished dragon age inquisition.

next on the map is xenoblade chronicles on dolphin emulator seeing how hype everyone seems to be about it...

EDIT: i'm not sure if i somehow fucked up the config for my 360-pad, but is it normal that the camera in xenoblade feels like i'm maneuvering a bus through drying slime? it's extremely sluggish wich sucks bigtime and i'm already tempted to ditch it and try sth else, as the performace on the emulator also has some major issues when much is going on...

I'm not sure about the pad issue, but I've heard that dolphin has major compatibility and performance issues when it comes to Xenoblade Chronicles.... The best way to experience that game is on a actual Wii, i can confirm that from first hand experience. If by chance have a Wii but don't have the game itself (which is most likely the case, since the game is really hard to get nowadays without paying tons of money) you can always hack the Wii (it's really simple to do this) and play the iso file on it that way, which would have pretty much the same performance and compatibility as playing legit on the Wii with a disc.

Other than that, if it's the pad that causing you the biggest discomfort try to google around and see if anyone else has had the same issue. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of  Xenoblade Chronicles configuratio9n guides/threads all over the net since it is one of the most popular Wii games to emulate since it is so hard to get a physical copy now.

I started playing Saints Row 2 on a whim. It came from when I bought Saints Row the Third, but I couldn't get into it then.  I was disappointed with what Saints Row IV DLC ended up being, but still wanted to play something in the Saints universe that I hadn't played before. The controls are sort of awful but you end up getting used to them. Seeing Pierce & Shaundi as almost completely different characters is strange, but it's been mostly fun and the story is interesting.

I just recently started "Knights of the Old Republic" - controls seem a bit awkward by modern standards, but so far I'm liking it. XD

Well, the absolute latest games I've played were actually Atari Jaguar games.  Can you believe that?

I had a collection going, but upon playing it again when I returned home a few weeks ago to the States, I decided to sell it.  Most of the games are just terrible =P  But there are some classics!

Iron Soldier is primarily the reason for having a Jaguar.  Missile Command 3D was pretty fun too.

A number of years ago, when I was in college, I hosted a tournament I called "Jag Off" in which a bunch of friends and I played Jaguar games in a tournament style bracket.  Let's just say it got more fun the more we drank.  Haha, oh man.  The great part about this was the fact that many of the games were so hard because they were so bad.

Finished Life is Strange demo  and wow.. it was freakin short, but kinda interesting. I'm not sure about buying a season pass, or waiting for a physical copy D: 

I've been replaying Hard Reset & Bastion for some achievement purposes.

Typical "go to" games I play as usual are Titanfall and Black Ops 2.

I do stream several times a week so if you're interested in watching (or joining me playing) feel free to visit. http://www.twitch.tv/cyberxspeed

I've ordered my headset so therefor I'll be a little bit more social this time lol.