CAT5

Recommended Tracks: October 2015!

MH's Best New Tracks: October 2015!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which featured tracks did you enjoy from this Month?

• Chanty - "m.o.b."
    • DIV - "ã?¤ã?±ã??ã?¤KISS (ikenai KISS)"
    • emmurée - "çª?のå¤?はã?ã?«ã?¡ã??ã?ã?«ã?? (mado no soto wa, carnival.)"
    • KEEL - "ç?ºç« (Hatsuka)"
    • THE MORTAL - "夢 (yume)"
    • Crystal Lake - "Prometheus"
    • Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - "Party Boys"
    • NETWORKS - "Phoenergy"
    • the cold tommy - "ã?ªã?¥ã?«ã®é»?髪 (ryuka no kurokami)"
    • THE NOVEMBERS - "きã??ã?な海へ (kirei na umi e)"
    • the piqnic - "ZyouK"
    • the quiet room - "Happy End"
    • VELTPUNCH - "ã?·ã?¼ã?ºã?³ã?¤ã?³ã?¶ã?¹ã?ªã?¼ (Season in the Three)"
    • ã?¢ã?«ã?«ã?© (arukara) - "ã?µã?¤ã?±ã??ã?ªã?³ã?¸ã?£ã?¼2 (Psych Dillinger 2)"
    • ã??ã?¬ã?¹ã?³ã?¼ã?º - "(the dresscodes) - ã??ã? (Moa)"
    • G.RINA - "Kamakura"
    • nowisee - "bluemoon"
    • Perfume - "STAR TRAIN (single: STAR TRAIN)"
    • tofubeats - "POSITIVE feat. Dream Ami"
    • ä¸?æ­¦è£?子 (Sebu Hiroko) - "YOU"
    • é?¨ã??ã?¢è² ã?±ã?º (amenimomakez) - "å®?寧のé?³ (Annei no Ne)"

Best New Tracks: October 2015!

As always, the Official Review team (ORZ for short) has returned with a batch of new and recently released songs to recommend to our fellow Monochromians! We've got some nice tunes in store this month, so we hope you enjoy this edition! Take a look and feel free to comment or recommend your own tracks below!

Special thanks to @emmny for contributing a guest blurb this month! :D

Visual Kei

"m.o.b." by Chanty

albumartist

Chanty have quickly made a name for themselves, leading (along with Yeti) an up-and-coming new wave of indie rock-influenced VK. After releasing one of the better albums in the scene this year, they've followed it up with their new single m.o.b., which, in true Chanty fashion, features gorgeous artwork. The strongest number is the title track with its dark, yet melodic indie riffs and Akuta's charismatic and "brassy" vocals. Few VK bands have much crossover appeal for indie fans, but Chanty is certainly one to watch! Be sure to check out the

--there's knives, fruits, and gas masks abound!

- @fitear1590

"イケナイKISS (ikenai KISS)" by DIV

albumartist

It took me until DIV's first album ZERO ONE to completely fall for them. However, their lackluster single-padded second album left a lot to be desired. After 8 months, they are back with a new single, but has it been worth the wait? That remains to be seen, as the full single is still taking time to sink in. With the upbeat, yet headbangin' EDM-infused title track "イケナイKISS" DIV demonstrate the kind of hybrid style that catapulted them to the forefront of VK's more electronic rock bands. Just feel free to skip the cringe-worthy PV (Douche-bro DIV? No thanks!) and instead listen to the song while looking at the cosmic Klimt-esque artwork!

- @fitear1590

"窓の外は、カァニバル。 (mado no soto wa, carnival)" by emmurée

albumartist

The grandfathers of modern goth-kei released their first album in over 3 years, "窓の外は、カァニバル。" which—in visual kei years—is enough time for a (quite proficient) band to start and end activities and disappear into dust. That makes emmurée's ongoing 16 years of activity incredible, and the culmination of these 16 years rests in this 7 and a 1/2 minute eponymous track. emmurée are at their most captivating when they slow down from their usual post-punk thump, and on "窓の外は、カァニバル。" they really slow it down — think a glacial, almost doom-metal trudge. The track proceeds with a sparse drum beat oddly reminiscent of Red House Painters, with their signature delayed, brittle guitar lines and feedback eventually filling the spaces. The structure is unlike anything they've recorded as a band, with a free-flowing, progressive form that slowly envelops into a vocal mantra led by Sou . His signature dramatic vocals cut through the fog towards the midpoint, and slowly turn the song into the most bittersweet-sounding ode to seeing a carnival outside one's window ever committed to tape. 16 years hasn't stalled emmurée's creativity, and they're a hallmark example of a band continuing to push their creative barriers, regardless of experience, in a genre that often kills creativity past a certain age.

- @emmny

"発火 (Hatsuka)" by KEEL

albumartist

KEEL is a Nagoya-kei super band if I've ever seen one and it's been quite some time since a nagoya-kei band made some serious waves in the scene. It's almost cheating how good this band is: when you put the masterminds behind 9GOATS BLACK OUT and deadman together in one project, only good things can come of it. The rhythm section plays with a tight groove that will stick in your head like a harpoon, but it is Ryo's haunting vocals which commands your attention. The unrestrained rawness of his singing contrasts with his falsettos during the chorus. The melancholic mood of the track is distinctively aie as well; I can't associate this particular combination of harmonic scale and guitar tone with anyone else. A dramatic tour de force of a particular breed of visual kei that desperately needed a revival. Not quite rising from the ashes of the god and death stars, deadman, or 9goats, but a delightful fusion of all three that will easily leave you wanting more.

- @Zeus

"夢 (yume)" by THE MORTAL

albumartist

Lord of darkness Atsushi Sakurai has taken a break from the iconic BUCK-TICK and formed a new side-band with a rather delectable line-up featuring Jake Cloudchair and members of downy and MY WAY MY LOVE. They just released a mini album titled "spirit" to whet our appetites before the full-length next month, and it's almost entirely full of covers from Atsushi's childhood, goth heroes like Bauhaus and Siouxsie & the Banshees. While all of the covers, except for one, are tastefully done and actually rewritten in Japanese, the band's original material is what's matters most. "Yume" is the 2nd original song on the mini album, and its ominous tone is right at home amongst the cover songs. THE MORTAL is sounding very promising right now!

- @CAT5

Rock / Metal / Punk / Indie / Alt.

"Prometheus" by Crystal Lake

albumartist

As one of the strongest songs on an absolutely beastly metalcore album , "Prometheus" serves as a foreboding tale of the downfall of mankind. Those familiar with Greek mythology will catch the reference in the song's title (as well as a few other song titles on THE SIGN). The

also provides strikingly strong imagery with some gorgeous scenes in an underground cave. And if you were looking for one of the most badass breakdowns of the year, this is your song. Crystal Lake have had their trials with member replacement, leaving only 2 original members at this point, but "Prometheus" is proof that they have weathered the storm and are back stronger than ever.

- @doombox

"Party Boys" by Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas

albumartist

Only FALILV are veteran professionals at mixing genre, tempo, and opposing atmospheres seamlessly these days. The polarizing energy in "Party Boys" is addictive and it's one of my favorite songs from their new album. The band plays with a strong EDM foundation for this track, then layers their usual screamo and post-hardcore influences over top. It's understandable this one wasn't anime theme material like some of their other work but this is exactly what I think of when I think of the organized insanity this group excells at.

- @doombox

"Phoenergy" by NETWORKS

albumartist

The terms post-rock and math-rock are often used interchangeably these days, but seldom does a band manage to fuse the expansiveness of the former with the engaging nature of the latter. Tokyo instrumental band NETWORKS pulls this off without a hitch! They're a simple trio of guitar, keyboard, and drums, yet they boast a densely layered and full sound. Through the use of repetition, they weave overarching melodies that, while not immediately catchy, are still magnetic enough to keep your attention until everything comes full circle.

- @CAT5

"リュカの黒髪 (ryuka no kurokami)" by the cold tommy

albumartist

About 2 or 3 years back, I remember the cold tommy making some waves in the JAPANESE INDIE THREAD before fading back into obscurity. Back with a new mini-album, the cold tommy deliver another round of raw indie rock. My favorite track on Flashback Bug begins rather tamely, before soon exploding into a frantic barrage of riffs. Once the first real chorus hits, vocalist Fumiaki cranks his once gentle delivery up a notch. He has one of the uniquely Japanese nasally vocals (I'm thinking along the lines of someone like the dresscodes' Shima), so he's not for everyone, but that's alright--more for me! 

- @fitear1590

"きれいな海へ (kirei na umi e)" by THE NOVEMBERS

albumartist

Over the past 5 or so years, THE NOVEMBERS have developed a sort of yin and yang persona, drifting effortlessly from dark, angsty and melancholic to light and airy, yet never straying from their core sound. As you might imagine, their latest EP "Elegance" focuses mostly on the band's more whimsical side. "kirei na umi e" is undoubtedly the centerpiece of the EP. While the other songs on the release are more than pleasant enough, they also tend to waddle in their own atmospheres a bit too much, but "きれいな海へ", with its smooth, buttery basslines and all of its jangly guitar goodness, seems more assured and self-aware. It's a standalone song from an EP that's best appreciated as a whole.

- @CAT5

"ZyouK" by the piqnic

albumartist

Dark, turbluent, hypnotic. These are the three words which best describe the piqnic. the piqnic would be THE NOVEMBERS' darker, moodier cousin if the four-piece didn't have such mastery over post-rock, and there's enough noise rock influence to make Melt-Banana blush. It's even more difficult to believe that this is their first album! The discordant, distortion laden song ZyouK is nothing short of monstrous; a post-rock leviathan of a track that continues forward with unshakeable conviction for eight solid minutes. The band revels in the noise and fuzz antics and are at their most comfortable when all hell is breaking loose. Even the so-so production works in the bands favor and reinforces the atmosphere they're going for. A must for fans of noisy post-rock!

- @Zeus

"Happy End" by the quiet room

albumartist

There's a relentless element to the chorus of the quiet room's new PV track that has drawn me in this month. Once the music gets some breathing room, the band shows off some math-lite instrumentation, not unlike what one of my old indie favorites Dry as dust used to do. Unlike that band, however, listeners will likely enjoy the more "standard" register of the quiet room's vocalist--that's how they roll! Their whole approach lacks a lot of edge, but it's oh so palatable. While the quiet room aren't likely to be labeled anyone's "favorite" band anytime soon, they do put out some solid indie pop-rock. I'm keeping an eye on them for now.

- @fitear1590

"シーズンインザスリー (Season in the Three)" by VELTPUNCH

albumartist

VELTPUNCH's single anime song titled 'CRAWL' that was released in 2008 was the first and only song of theirs I paid attention to. I haven't tried getting into them outside of that tune, but the overall package of their first digital single released earlier this year, simply titled 'OAO', made me regret my decision instantly, proving they've got a lot more to give than one might expect. The blend of male and female vocals, from the shrieking opening to the clear verses makes for a thrilling listen from start to finish. And don't get me started on the catchy repetition of guitar chugging and drum bashing. Naganuma Hidenori's vocals rival that of ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION's Gotch, and Nagajima Aiko's vocals bring to mind other great Engrish-singing bands like Winnie. With so many similarities, VELTPUNCH proves they're more than an accessible and worthy band to get into.

- @beni

"サイケデリンジャー2 (Psych Dillinger 2)" by アルカラ (arukara)

albumartist

arukara's previous album "CAO", from 2014, is a difficult work to top. In comparison, their latest release "chigirero" doesn't even come close, but it's not without it's own merits. "Psych Dillinger 2" is like a condensed, and formulaic snapshot of arukara's sound, so while there's nothing new here for seasoned fans, the predictability of the song actually works to the band's advantage. The riffs are simple and effective, the blindsiding chorus is instantly catchy, and the punk-like pace of the song just makes you want more as soon it flies by! Hell, it's fun too! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- @CAT5

"もあ (Moa)" by ドレスコーズ (the dresscodes)

albumartist

A recent favourite in my books, the dresscodes used to be an alternative rock band, but after the majority of the group departed (guitarist, bassist and drummer) the singer/composer was left. Creating a solo project of sorts, Ryohei Shima solely continues as the dresscodes. But, there's plenty of collaborations bundled into this album to make up for the lost members. From Pierre Nakano (drummer of Ling Tosite Sigure) to Masuda Mizuki (guitarist of Negoto) and Okamoto Koki (guitarist of OKAMOTO’S), there's many stand outs in the release. While the album, especially the latter part, is extremely enjoyable, it makes picking out a favourite track a difficult task. I had noticed that what first sold the album to me was track seven. The funky beat against the guitar and Shima's grungy vocals makes for a wonderful mix, giving off some old school flares while also creating a relaxed feeling like you're on vacation. It's an instant feel good number that I wish would never end.

- @beni

Pop / Idol / R&B / Hip-Hop

"Kamakura" by G.RINA

albumartist

Singer-songwriter, producer, and DJ G.RINA has been active since 2003 in Japan's indie/underground "urban" scenes, but has largely managed to elude western fanbases. Her newest album "Lotta Love" features popular electronic producer Tofubeats, and a few known names from the Japanese hip-hop world like PUNPEE, Yakenohara, and LUVRAW, so this release could definitely reach further than her previous ventures. The album is wrapped in 80's/90's hip-hop and r&b nostalgia from head to toe, and "Kamakura" plays up to this aesthetic with some smooth, retro-funk that'll have you grooving along without notice!

- @CAT5

"bluemoon" by nowisee

albumartist

According to their official site, nowisee (apparently pronounced "ノイズ" / "noise") is a "cross-content project that weaves together video and story with a focus on music". "bluemoon" is the project's third single, and as soon as the song starts, the jazz-tinged piano instantly brings to mind school-food punishment, and the production and vocals are easily remeniscent of a variety of doujin and anison acts. It's clear that nowisee was created with some kind of narrative in mind, as the song has a dreamy and imaginative quality to it that would work perfectly as an anime theme. But even divorced from visuals, the song still works well. Check out the

to get the full effect!

- @CAT5

"STAR TRAIN" by Perfume

albumartist

Unlike what seems to be the majority opinion on this song, Perfume's latest PV restored my hope in Yasutaka Nakata. After being continously disappointed with his latest output across the boards of his units, 'STAR TRAIN' has a very simple beat to it, which in my mind, makes it even more approachable and memorable. The chill tempo, slight dubstep influence and hardcore electro elements in the song - as expected - isn't overwhelming for once, making for a more than pleasant listen, and one I'll certainly be returning to with open arms. If you've also felt disappointed in some of Yasutaka's recent input, then I encourage you turn your ears to this one and be reminded that he's still deserving of attention.

- @beni

"POSITIVE feat. Dream Ami" by tofubeats

albumartist

'POSITIVE' instantly became my personal anthem for whenever I need an uplifting song when I'm down in the dumps. Dream Ami is a singer, dancer and a part of girl groups Dream and E-girls, and while she's certainly not the stand-out aspect of the song, what's impressive is tofubeats himself making such an incredibly rhythmic and catchy tune that even I can appreciate. I've never seen the appeal in such producers, so I hope this fact alone will encourage you to give this tune a go. Once more, out of thirteen tracks in the album titled as 'POSITIVE', it's the only one that caught my attention, as well as being the one song that 

in the tracklist, which only encourage the best kind of feels (and foot fetishes it seems).

- @beni

"YOU" by 世武裕子 (Sebu Hiroko)

albumartist

Some of my favorite, piano-wielding Jpop songstesses (Ando Yuko, Terao Saho, and ikuko harada of clammbon) have let me down this year in terms of quality releases, but the criminally underexposed Sebu Hiroko has attempted to turn things around for me with her new mini album "WONDERLAND". Sebu originally started off as a classical music composer, but eventually moved on to make classically inspired, piano-driven Jpop, not unlike that of Kotoringo. Her voice isn't the strongest, nor the most graceful or dynamic, but what her voice lacks, she more than makes up for with her composing skills. "YOU" illustrates this wonderfully with its bright, colorful melodies and tasteful mix of organic and synthetic instruments. It's a delightful pop tune with good feelz all around!

- @CAT5

"安寧の音 (Annei no Ne)" by 雨ニモ負ケズ (amenimomakez)

albumartist

Described as an 'emotional piano rock band', amenimomakez was an instant win in my eyes. The mix of indie, rock and pop makes for a perfect blend of tempos throughout the course of an almost five minute song run. The pitchiness in the vocalist's voice against the fun, melodic pace makes such an impact it becomes an unforgettable number. Its chorus is something to cherish, being one of the most pleasant sounding and addictive refrains I've ever had the pleasure to hear. '安寧の音' was a "love at first listen" experience, and one that'll keep giving for ages to come.

- @beni

See you next month! :3

Really sad not to see Femme Fatale's "Powder" on here. Probably the best visual kei track I've heard all year. 

We try to include as many releases as we can onto BNT each month. It takes us a few days to combine this list, look over errors, and format it, so by design we miss a lot of releases that come out at the end of each month. We didn't have enough time to properly judge Powder (or Lycaon's LAST DANCE for that matter) so they are not here.

Why don't you think about contributing a blurb for Femme Fatale for next month?

we miss a lot of releases that come out at the end of each month. We didn't have enough time to properly judge Powder (or Lycaon's LAST DANCE for that matter) so they are not here.

Why don't you think about contributing a blurb for Femme Fatale for next month?

I was going to try join this month too, but DOF's album just dropped here yesterday.

---

Thank you all for the reviews.

@@fitear1590 At first when DIV just upload the spot, I thought like "hmm they are going into a path know as EDM? It's going to be super good or super bad". When I got able to hear it all, I surprised myself... it was a decent music. I really want to see if they will try it more.

@@emmny Because of PLASTICZOOMS, I got a bit of feeling for goth songs, but I never had a look for one. I think emmuree will deserve a attention from me now.

@@CAT5 I was already going to try THE MORTAL, because of the goth beat, it sounds cool and dark, but I haven't noticed the covers (maybe it's lazyness from me) and you gave me a push for me to check it out. (Lord of darkness... lol)

Mine ↓

Develop One's Faculties/insert memory

The long awaited first full album from the band has finally released, and it's great combination.

insert memory is probably my favorite, it's all you have waiting for and a bit more, looks like a mix of their songs in one song.

The guitar's riffs are amazing, not only in this track but in all the album.

The full album it's a trip, a good trip.

coldrain/HEART OF THE YOUNG

This is one of the songs which you can find Masato and his friends showing that they can make songs without the heavy beat they are used to do. Beautiful lyrics with a great rhythm following vocals.

HEART OF THE YOUNG it's no doubts, a masterpiece, along with the album which have some classic and powerful vibe from old records in some tracks.

Glad to see both THE NOVEMBERS and the piqnic on here, though I suppose the former at least was pretty much a given. 

Also... Phoenergy... hmmmm.

Things that got unmentioned for some reason but deserve AOTM-recognition imho anyway:

Gesu no Kiwami Otome - Otonatic / Muka no Kisetsu

- I might be pretty much the only avid follower of their major (or Enon's) ventures and I can tell you something: the more popular they get, the more intriguing they get when moving towards more complex directions. For further details, you folks ought to check their "Otonatic" PV through jpopsuki.tv (because YT effed up US viewers now anyway).

Base Ball Bear - Fushigi na Yoru

- Very radio-friendly yet another groovy chune by courtesy of BBB. Driving melodies, very BBB-y (back-to-NB and Supercar-y while retaining britpoppy values), not to mention the chemistry-ridden bandplay - talk about real passion! Pretty much the same stuff as with Gesu goes for them too. Make sure to hit their PV through jps.tv (because YT is a corporate bullhorn).

Now for the stuff that got mentioned - thoughts/blurbs:

- NOVEMBERS: while I could see all the fuzz...fuss behind this mini (?), I personally don't embrace it that much as you do guys - even if it has that (sugar)sweet Novembers' goodness. Why? The way it ends up abruptly (the last song raises a few - no, MANY questions as a proper closer) downgrades it a lot as a standard 2015 album one could enjoy as a whole. Sure thing - some members managed to get over it, but I am being really picky here this time (especially after acknowledging Koba's capabilities to produce even more massive numbers or entireties, see: GIFT).

- Tofubeats: I used to propagate this artist while being totes entranced about upcoming netlabel wave at that time (Seiho etc.). His beatmaking sensibilities deserve their netwide recognition, but his songwriting on the other hand has stagnated right at the start - POSITIVE as a set of songs didn't really prove anything as a "real" Tofubeats' debut: yes, glimpses of enthusiastic experimentation in this release are lovely - trying to embrace and take Tofubeats SERIOUSLY as an artist with recognizable and prominent trademark palette? Downright impossible if you acknowledged earlier electro gamechangers from Japan (take 80kidz or even Shinichi Osawa for that matter). Featured artists did less for a POSITIVE change (ha!) but for the most just fueled the flames of mediocrity even more (for heaven's sake, Komuro - stop!). Biggest J-hypekiller of this year to me - not sorry.

- Perfume: Unfortunately ghosts of electropop mediocrity have begun to haunt EDM-entranced mr. Nakata too! Dabblings in the world of Capsule's stapled EDM has reached to the point where he's sucked out of his former, brave glory: STAR TRAIN as a whole was nothing but a frigid, hollow parody of pre-GAME cutesy hooks mashed with accidental Kyary bloops. I don't need to tell much about this but recommend a PV as a key evidence for my "baseless" criticism: really apathetic girls who seem to look back to their non-hasbeen glory with their tattered oba-san wardrobe while yet facing unknown, possibly very cruel future of spending their sexless lives as salarymen's wives. I might get really tear-eyed, but not really amused if Nakata called a kaisan on this project.

Didn't inspect the rest though - prolly will do sooner :)

thank you BNT staff for featuring my (veeeeerry long) blurb <3

i think i'll check out the new DIV, chanty and novembers!

i wish i wrote something for insert memory by DOF (+1). its easily becoming one of my favourite songs this year

wow this month there's actually a lot of artists i like

most of them actually

october was a blessed month with lots of good releases

i still think 裸のミンク is the best track from elegance tho!!

i tried to not vote for every single song in the poll lol

p.s help a sister out i need more info on the piqnic

im down for some goth the novembers

Unhhhh that Emmuree song is so good. I'm glad my boys are back. (well done with the write-up @emmny)

I also checked out NETWORKS based on @CAT5's recommendation and was digging it. Nice change of pace for when I want something instrumental but also want a slightly higher BPM than most post rock.

(or Lycaon's LAST DANCE for that matter)

Zess is on a role! :lleft::happy:

I am so behind this month. I need to get so much of this list! DIV, THE MORTAL, and Arukara!!

Also surprised by how much I enjoyed emmurée and VELTPUNCH. ♥ So they'll be on that list too. Great job, everyone! :3

Glad to see both THE NOVEMBERS and the piqnic on here, though I suppose the former at least was pretty much a given. 

Also... Phoenergy... hmmmm.

THE NOVEMBERS? With fitz and me on the team, you already know bruh. And yeah, I was super pleased with the piqnic, it might even be one of my favorites from this year. I'm glad that @Zeus wrote about it, because I surely would have if he hadn't! Major thanks to @Jigsaw9 for recommending that one!

And yeah, you did cross my mind with the title of that NETWORKS song, haha.

Things that got unmentioned for some reason but deserve AOTM-recognition imho anyway:

Gesu no Kiwami Otome - Otonatic / Muka no Kisetsu

- I might be pretty much the only avid follower of their major (or Enon's) ventures and I can tell you something: the more popular they get, the more intriguing they get when moving towards more complex directions. For further details, you folks ought to check their "Otonatic" PV through jpopsuki.tv (because YT effed up US viewers now anyway).

I wouldn't say that you're alone in your sentiments, as both of Enon's acts have been featured several times in BNT this year, by different contributors. For me personally, Enon seems to be hit or miss, and while I think he's had an overwhelming amount of hits this year, the latest single just didn't grab me as much as the others before it. Still looking forward to his work, though since I agree, he has only gotten better!

thank you BNT staff for featuring my (veeeeerry long) blurb <3

i think i'll check out the new DIV, chanty and novembers!

i wish i wrote something for insert memory by DOF (+1). its easily becoming one of my favourite songs this year

No, thank you for contributing! THE NOVEMBERS were on the light-ish side this year, but I'd certainly recommend you give the piqnic a go too. And no worries, you can always contribute something new this month!

I also checked out NETWORKS based on @CAT5's recommendation and was digging it. Nice change of pace for when I want something instrumental but also want a slightly higher BPM than most post rock.

Really glad you enjoyed this! I don't think it's a release I could listen to that often, but certainly good background/study music!

wow this month there's actually a lot of artists i like

most of them actually

october was a blessed month with lots of good releases

i still think 裸のミンク is the best track from elegance tho!!

i tried to not vote for every single song in the poll lol

p.s help a sister out i need more info on the piqnic

im down for some goth the novembers

ahaha, feel free to vote for as many as you'd like! Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad we were able to recommend some nice tunes for ya.

and yeah, it was tough for me to find a standout on 'Elegance' because it works so well as a whole!

@@fitear1590 - That Chanty track is really nice. Those faux-emo screams REALLY remind me of something you'd hear in 9mm parabellum bullet or cinema staff. Such crossover appeal indeed!

Also really glad you wrote about DIV, that was a good one. Would I be wrong to say that it kinda reminds me of girugamesh at times? I meant that in a good way, of course!

@ @doombox - hearing your picks just really make me miss the good ol plug.dj days, before the drama and the site itself kinda ruined things. 'endercore' lives on, though! Crystal Lake is nice, despite not being my usual taste.

@ @beni - really happy to see you wrote about VELTPUNCH. The track you chose is especially good. It's great that they're still around and still rocking!

@CAT5 "THE NOVEMBERS - Kirei na umi e" had to be the best song on the mini and that mini was probably the release of the month for me, granted it was my first time even listening to them your description of this song was right on point and I thank you for getting me into them just by talking about them so much. This song is an all-around beauty, can't wait to see what they come out with next. 

@doombox for Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas I think my favorite song off of the album was Gratitude, but I think for me besides their single tracks and a few others their last albums were superior. what do you think?

@Zeus I found my self loving fanfale from Keel the most, I mean that falsetto chorus had me at wow from the preview and hearing the full song just proved to me how glorious it truly was with one play through, but the band is all together a really good band! 

@ @doombox - hearing your picks just really make me miss the good ol plug.dj days, before the drama and the site itself kinda ruined things. 'endercore' lives on, though! Crystal Lake is nice, despite not being my usual taste.

I miss the good ol' plug.dj days too. :( Just wait until next month, you'll get a full year in review of endercore. ;D

@doombox for Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas I think my favorite song off of the album was Gratitude, but I think for me besides their single tracks and a few others their last albums were superior. what do you think?

"Gratitude" was a fun song too! I tend to gravitate to their more franken-songs (where they feel like parts of different songs all stitched together and somehow work). It's hard for me to pick a favorite album from these guys, I don't really feel like their quality level changes all that much from album to album. Each album gives me 3-4 songs I like a lot and the rest tend to blend together. What stands out to you about the previous albums versus this one?  

That piqnic track! *0* I need to hear more.

Anyway, lots of cools releases this month, but I've only listened to THE NOVEMBERS from those featured. And as always, anything from THE NOVEMBERS is pleasant to listen to.  I would not necessarily say that it shows their best output though, as half of it was kind of average sounding.
Will need to check releases by KEEL and emmurée sometime as I haven't found the time yet.  Plus, I've already got so many other bands to catch up on...

Psst, btw can someone upload that new album from The Dresscodes?  Heard the previews from his twitter and they sound really good.  I'm so glad that he's making a comeback with the rock sound.

Ito's quick unfiltered thoughts! Watch as I lose my ability to think and describe!

Green = mhmm

Yellow = hmmm

Orange = uhhhhh

Red = uuuugh

VK

Chanty - "m.o.b."

Instrumentally I really dig this track - probably a green. The bass lines are especially fun. The chorus is a little weak, but the vocals are the main thing holding it back for me. Just a bit too much on the nasally/squeaky side. Still good enough of a track that I want to check out more of their stuff.

DIV - "イケナイKISS (ikenai KISS)"

DIV's appeal is lost on me . This is perhaps one of the better songs I've heard from them, but it's still sounds like lots of bleep bloops places of mediocre pop rock to make it sounds more unique.

emmurée - "窓の外は、カァニバル。 (mado no soto wa, carnival.)"

A little bit too meandering for my tastes, but I love the drone section that is reminiscent of Boris. I wish they had stuck with a little longer or brought back the excitement again in another way across the longer run time of this track, but that doesn't stop me from enjoy this one anyways.

KEEL - "発火 (Hatsuka)"

This release is easily one of my tops of the year, so this one was going to be easy. Not sure if this is the track I would have pulled from R'lyeh, but either way, fantastic stuff. Only thing I can't help but feel is that Ryo's vocals are less enjoyable than I remember them being in 9GBO, but maybe I'm crazy.

THE MORTAL - "夢 (yume)"

Sakurai's crazy vibrato has never appealed to me and has been one of the huge things holding me back from enjoying BT - like he secretly was raised by a heard of sheep as a child. There is nothing here that changes my feeling on his vocals, which sucks since the rest of the track is pretty deceny

Rock / Metal / Punk / Indie / Alt.

Crystal Lake - "Prometheus"

Pleasant dject metal - Nothing all that special put still manages to tick a lot of boxes for me. The vocalist's attempt at doing the deep guttural screams just falls totally flat though. I really like the unique flare that they added to the breakdown though.

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - "Party Boys"

I couldn't make it through this one...no thank you

NETWORKS - "Phoenergy"

Perhaps this one is a grower, but on the first listen this just sounded more like a repetitive mess than a cohesive song. Some bright stops here and there were hints of interesting texture and melody shone through save this one from res status.

the cold tommy - "リュカの黒髪 (ryuka no kurokami)"

Nothing super here, but it's got a nice groove that I am throughly enjoying. The biggest downside are the vocals which register a tad on the annoying side for me - I can only handle so much nasal.

THE NOVEMBERS - "きれいな海へ (kirei na umi e)"

This band is incredibly hit or miss for me - I found myself zoning and tapping my foot halfway through this one, so I'll count this one as a hit. Perhaps a little too mellow, but that bass line is just great and there is just enough unique things here to help this one stand out.

the piqnic - "ZyouK"

I wish I liked this track - by all means I should with it's darker post rock/noise vibe. Ultimately I just feels like the song is just a little too flat and uninspired with a half-assed attempt at vocals (making me thing that this track would do better without them). The Novembers comparison is apt, but in the way that this makes me think of some of The Novembers weakest material.

the quiet room - "Happy End"

Kind of bland with a formula I feel like I've heard hundreds of times, but somehow with enough here to still give this song some life and fun and saving it from falling in to the totally forgettable category.

VELTPUNCH - "シーズンインザスリー (Season in the Three)"

This song feels out of left field - I have heard this band's name a lot but have never checked them out. I was not expecting this track to be this good, but hot damn. Hot damn, that mix of screaming, pop sensibilities, acoustic and electric guitar - man this is certainly a winner.

アルカラ (arukara) - "サイケデリンジャー2 (Psych Dillinger 2)"

Arukara is a band that I like - for whatever reason they have never seemed to pass that. They are consistence, unique, musically competent, and I enjoy their sound and their vocalist's unique tone. But for whatever reason there is something blocking me from really loving them. This track continues this trend with something that I really dig...maybe some day there will be something that cracks that barrier for me.

ドレスコーズ - "(the dresscodes) - もあ (Moa)"

I think it is hard for me to dislike a vocalist 's sound more than I do this dudes. Dear god I can't stand his high pitch nasally sound. I'd swear more of the sound is coming out of his nose than his mouth. There isn't a single thing that the rest of the song does to redeem the vocals so this one is huge nope.

Pop / Idol / R&B / Hip-Hop

G.RINA - "Kamakura"

I would file this song in to the category of stuff that my gf would really like and is tolerable for me. Not something I would care to listen to on purpose, but decent as a something in the background. This gets an orange because everything in this category is going to have to do a lot more for me to really be interested.

nowisee - "bluemoon"

A lot of my thoughts on this track carry over from the G.RINA one, but there is just something a little more to this one that pushes it a little further - it could be perhaps just how pretty this track is, or maybe the slight SFP influences in the sounds.

Perfume - "STAR TRAIN (single: STAR TRAIN)"

If music is everything, than I think we are screwed.

tofubeats - "POSITIVE feat. Dream Ami"

Catchy, but all together just way too sugary for me.

世武裕子 (Sebu Hiroko) - "YOU"

I really don't like the "you" section of the track, but the rest of it is really well done. Solid piano pop.

雨ニモ負ケズ (amenimomakez) - "安寧の音 (Annei no Ne)"

I've lost the ability to even moderately articulate my thoughts.

the piqnic - "ZyouK"
I wish I liked this track - by all means I should with it's darker post rock/noise vibe. Ultimately I just feels like the song is just a little too flat and uninspired with a half-assed attempt at vocals (making me thing that this track would do better without them). The Novembers comparison is apt, but in the way that this makes me think of some of The Novembers weakest material.

You're telling me someone was singing in this?!?!? Haha. No but seriously, point well made.

As I promised - a bit more constructive reviews per each song:

"m.o.b." by Chanty

I personally think after years of being *brainwashed* by gender-bending/evolving tendences in vk that this should have been a logical outcome after visual scene getting over nu metal. As with formerly mentioned genre, post-punk and other goth/punk-related genres, post-hardcore/"aggressive" indie should be a good choice for potential visual acts when it comes to excelling in what they are doing. This kind of crossver stuff needs to happen more often. Surprise favorite of the month no. 1.

"イケナイKISS (ikenai KISS)" by DIV

This is not their thing. Nah.

"窓の外は、カァニバル。 (mado no soto wa, carnival)" by emmurée

HOLEEE SHIEEET. I wasn't really a fan of their otherwise potentially good but yet still tiring post-punk work, but wow - I definitely buy such ideas and direction from a sophomore (a bit more years for being a "veteran" :P) act like this! Surprise favorite of the month no. 2.

"発火 (Hatsuka)" by KEEL

Heavy bias incoming in 3...2...1...: I do not care about anything that sounds like carbon 9GBO or Deadman for that matter (be it the fact that those two acts are brilliant). Aie needs to jump off his one-trick pony. Nah.

"夢 (yume)" by THE MORTAL

No need for further statements regarding our dark lord of submarine-kei - Atsushi! I am crossing my fingers for more surprises from this "super-band" :>

"Prometheus" by Crystal Lake

Energy is there but yeah, trying to curb your style into something djentbro-er is not something I'd buy. Japanese bands pls, don't cultivate this football jock frat party-core any further - don't lose your identity (which is why I usually propagate this idea of Nippon acts genderbending rather than emulating one sound completely). Nah :(

"Party Boys" by Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas

This is it - the infamous (according to 2ch) "Brokencyde of Japan"...j/k j/k, unlike in previous band's case, this band is my

guilty pleasure

and totes excels at being one of a kind and unexpected - be it even simpler synthcore numbers or chaotic sets that might even make MTH and similar plundercore (let's call it that way) acts lift their hats off.

"Phoenergy" by NETWORKS

Seems like acts in the vein of "mouse on the keys" have spawned a huge legacy right there :). Anyways, the song itself doesn't do much yet to make me fall off my chair but I can sense their potential. Curious.

"リュカの黒髪 (ryuka no kurokami)" by the cold tommy

Very Dinosaur Jr.-y but yeah, nothing that surprising or ear-catching. Nah?

"きれいな海へ (kirei na umi e)" by THE NOVEMBERS

Read my statement @earlier post

"ZyouK" by the piqnic

HOLEEE SHIEEET. This needs to happen more often (ps. to Bonsai: this actually sounds like much more mature and 'evil' version of harder 'Zeitgeist' numbers though - in case I understood you correctly). I shall hop on the bandwagon and cross my fingers for their potential. Surprise favorite of the month no. 3.

"Happy End" by the quiet room

Math-y licks yet very safe indie-ish approach should be toned down for now when we speak of acts who are not aiming to hit Bump of Chicken-y sales figures. Nah :(

"シーズンインザスリー (Season in the Three)" by VELTPUNCH

While VELTPUNCH always had on-point and sometimes even thrilling arrangements, the performance in overall though left a lot to be desired. I miss ear-catching values here. Nah :(

"サイケデリンジャー2 (Psych Dillinger 2)" by アルカラ (arukara)

Arukara has been playing too safe after CAO and I still wonder why. Nah :(

"もあ (Moa)" by ドレスコーズ (the dresscodes)

Oh hi look, it's White Stripes or The Fratel...oh wait nevermind - still not a fan of Shima's work (devoid of anything that would make me think about "identity"). Nah :(

"Kamakura" by G.RINA

80s-90s Moogy/wavey goodiness is not bad but this feels more like a lousy attempt at emulating the said theme from vaporwave/one-time-concept based idol acts such as Especia for instance. Nah :(

"bluemoon" by nowisee

Liquid mix of ambient/D'n'B hybrid and middle-SFP-ian pop which unfortunately gets overshadowed by dangerous elements of anime seiyuu-ian choruses and hooks. Ouch - and nah :(

"STAR TRAIN" by Perfume

Read my rant @earlier post

"POSITIVE feat. Dream Ami" by tofubeats

Read my rant @earlier post

"YOU" by 世武裕子 (Sebu Hiroko)

Moderately but yet uniquely varied, very smooth piano-driven pop. I can sense her classical background here and I dig this a lot. Surprise favorite of the month no. 4.

"安寧の音 (Annei no Ne)" by 雨ニモ負ケズ (amenimomakez)

I think I missed the whole song after playing it twice - no ear-catching values here either, sorry! Nah :(

Regarding my "surprise favorites": these are mainly concerning acts I never heard of before OR just used to try once or twice but forgot afterwards. So yeah, very interesting month :) Thankies, staff! (sorry for my nah's though)