CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #17: Do you prefer male or female vocals in J-music?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #17  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer male of female vocals in Japanese music?

• Female vocals all the way! <3
    • Nah bruh, male vocals~
    • I don't have a preference ¯\_(ã??)_/¯

Do you prefer male or female vocals in Japanese music?

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. @CAT5 with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

This is tricky because I don't want to sound biased or completely close minded. I'd have to say male vocals. With scientific studies and research that I read about somewhere, they say it's natural that males have a wider vocal range than females, so I find a lot of times they can achieve more leaps and bounds. However, there are female artists that I favor as well, given that their vocals are tasteful and step outside of the norm kawaii chuchu nasally pop vocals.

So basically I'm not close minded to trying anything once, but looking through my favored artists, about 70% of them have male vocals.

Judging by my listening tendencies I'd say I prefer male vocals more. But that depends a lot on the genre. Where visual kei is concerned anyway I listen to male vocals about 90% of the time, but I do like to listen to female (fronted) bands, such as Danger Gang every now and then (although that kinda makes sense seeing as most vk bands are still male). 

It depends on the genre for me. In metal or rock in general, I feel men do it better. In other genres, pop, etc. women slay.

I used to hate most female vocals in japanese music, just for the higher pitch of their voices. I couldn't take most male vocalists who had higher voices either. But with anything that you take the time to dig into, I found more female vocalists who had lower registers or less nasal tones. And over time I got more acclimated to a lot of higher voices too. These days I'm more in the "idc as long as it suits the music" camp, but a lot of my old favorites are male fronted bands because of this and that still dominates a lot of my playlists. So I picked male because I think my listening charts still reflect a big male bias.

I don't have a preference and don't give a fuck. I prefer fitting vocals. Doesn't matter if they're male, female, can sing or can't sing for shit. It just have to fit the music.

I also think it depends on genre but I am more of a fan of female vocalists overall. Being a fan of mainly J-pop, I think that's become apparent.

I just don't like overly high and clear voices. Granted, most of the time male voices fit that description better than female ones, but technically it doesn't really have anything to do with male/female.

Perfect example for female vocals that I love is Alannah Myles.

I really don't have a preference. Like Bear said, it the vocals fit the music, it should be fine. Right now I probably listen to the same amount of male and female vocals.

Well... being that visual kei is mainly dominated by men and that's what I listen to the majority of... I'd guess I have to say male vocals. But, really, it just depends on the genre and my personal taste.

Voted for no preferences but I realize I rarely came across a Japanese female vocalist that left an impression on me as much as many male ones did. Thanks to Cat I recently found out about Kaimokujisho and I l-o-v-e their singer, hope I'll be able to discover more in the future! 

its funny because visual kei is the only genre where i prefer male vocalists, probably because im a (slightly) closeminded vkei listener. im neutral to female vocals in metal but i adore female vocals in indie rock/pop and im especially partial to boy/girl vocals--there's no boy girl visual band is there?  *swoons*

For the softer and calmer stuff I am totally for female vocals. They really do that aspect very well.

Prime examples of this are Ringo, Kalafina, FictionJunction, etc.

K-Pop has warmed me up 2 female vocals as well.

It all comes down to the character and delivery of the voice and how well it mixes as another "instrument".  I have more artists I listen to with male vocalists, but that is because that is the trend in rock music.  However, I do have many female vocalists I adore that can deliver vocals with the best of the men.  There are certain styles of delivery that I simply detest, and it applies to male and female.

Male vocals. I just get so mesmerized by the beauty of voices for males in visual kei. Some of my favorites are Sono from Matenrou Opera, Takeru from SuG (obviously lol), Ruki from the GazettE, Byou from SCREW, Jui from Gotcharocka... the list goes on forever really. I usually fall pretty quickly if the male voice has a good smooth voice as well, but then... there are some that are still great even if their voices aren't smooth. It's kind of hard to explain. ><

I prefer male vocals in any kind of music. I really like dark and deep voices, but of course there's exceptions, I like the old band Kilhi+Ice and Tarachan has a really light voice and I still enjoy her singing style. But in general I have to admit I'm all about the male vocalists.