Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Damn I'm really surprised by how much I'm into Garo: Honoo no Kokuin... At first I thought it was gonna be a semi-average show but the more i watched the more I really started to like the series, characters, plot, setting, ect. It's now gotten to the point where every episode is just a pleasure to watch and I can't wait for the next one to come. Also the OST has really got me addicted right now while I watch the show, I can't wait for March, 11th when it finally releases.

basically I'm saying this show is definitely underrated and might even be considered a hidden gem, or at least in my eyes it is.

Not going to say it's a hidden gem. It has too many flaws in my opinion (+ ridiculous moments that still make me go ????) BUT... I do have to agree that the more I've been watching of it, the more I've been stuck to it. I'm totally all here for bb Leon. (Even when he sounded like a depressed Oikawa before)

My bf and I are currently watching The Devil is a Part-Timer!

I'm trying to make him watch an entire series instead of watching 1-3 episodes of several series. Netflix is made for binge watching!

Holy shit this week's episode of Shigatsu was super heavy... man that was tough to get through without tearing up a bit. The more I watch the more I think that the show is going down the "bad end" route and is gonna be super sad and will make me cry a lot. :(

Also the most recent two episodes of Death Parade were superb, and really well done.

Currently watching, "Working'.

A11017-3.jpg

Plot Summary: Set in a family restaurant in Hokkaido, the northern prefecture of Japan, 16-year-old high school student Sōta Takanashi works part-time along with his strange co-workers: Popura Taneshima, a high school girl who—despite being a year older than Sōta—is easily mistaken for a elementary/middle schooler, and Kyoko Shirafuji, the 28-year-old store manager who does not bother to do any work at all.

Watching Kazuki and Soushi being a couple of BAMF's in the last two episodes of Fafnir :D

Seriously some pretty awesome mecha action in the last few episodes.

I'm still in disbelief Soukyuu 2015 is an actual thing even though I'm watching said thing. I am not ready for the inevitable end though :(

I just started watching Psycho-Pass. How did everyone feel about that one? 

I'm really out of the loop on anime, but I was interested because it has a Ghost in the Shell feeling about it. 

I'm really out of the loop on anime, but I was interested because it has a Ghost in the Shell feeling about it. 

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I feel as though Psycho-Pass (the first season, at least, I haven't seen the second) is okay but vastly overrated nevertheless. A lot of the people that I know tend to consider it to be an extremely intelligent dystopian anime but I've never been able to quite understand why. It tends to be one of those shows that has all the dystopian aesthetics down to a T but lacks the subtle philosophical & socio-political undertones that makes for a great dystopia. I was never able to fully believe that the world that it presents could ever realistically come to be, which tends to be a prerequisite for a really great dystopian work in my opinion. It's kind of like the anime equivalent of The Hunger Games; decent for a piece of light entertainment with dystopian overtones and some social commentary, but dumbed down to the level that a 13 year old could understand and it suffers as a result. At one point it actually compares itself to the works of Orwell, Gibson, and Dick (seriously), and that really rubbed me the wrong way. 

Aside from that, the animation, visual style, music, and the like are all pretty solid, and it's not like the story is bad per se, I just don't think that it's anywhere near as great as a lot of people that I know seem to insist. It's still worth watching, though.

personally i had to drop it after 4 or so episodes as i found it extremely predictable and bland (also i hated the maincharacters) but a ton of people seems to really enjoy it, so maybe it'll work for you?

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I feel as though Psycho-Pass (the first season, at least, I haven't seen the second) is okay but vastly overrated nevertheless. A lot of the people that I know tend to consider it to be an extremely intelligent dystopian anime but I've never been able to quite understand why. It tends to be one of those shows that has all the dystopian aesthetics down to a T but lacks the subtle philosophical & socio-political undertones that makes for a great dystopia. I was never able to fully believe that the world that it presents could ever realistically come to be, which tends to be a prerequisite for a really great dystopian work in my opinion. It's kind of like the anime equivalent of The Hunger Games; decent for a piece of light entertainment with dystopian overtones and some social commentary, but dumbed down to the level that a 13 year old could understand and it suffers as a result. At one point it actually compares itself to the works of Orwell, Gibson, and Dick (seriously), and that really rubbed me the wrong way. 

Aside from that, the animation, visual style, music, and the like are all pretty solid, and it's not like the story is bad per se, I just don't think that it's anywhere near as great as a lot of people that I know seem to insist. It's still worth watching, though.

I know nothing about it's reception by fandom/viewers so overrated or not... I have no idea. I don't want a lot of "new" anime because I always feel it's pretty erm... watered down. But it's one of the first things I've seen in my 'genre' for a while. Or maybe just got popular enough that I was able to hear about it. I'm about 12 eps in now... glad to know now not everyone hated it. I'm inclined to agree so far... it's kind of middle of the road for me, but just good enough that I keep watching. lol.

personally i had to drop it after 4 or so episodes as i found it extremely predictable and bland (also i hated the maincharacters) but a ton of people seems to really enjoy it, so maybe it'll work for you?

I don't mind the main characters but the villains so far have been a bit of a letdown. The show does seem to give a lot away early so there aren't many surprises.I'm enjoying the back stories, though. 

when someone mentions GitS I usually tend to violently suggest a seriously close look at "Ergo Proxy" if you happen to not having seen that one ;)

You know, someone gave me a few episodes a LOOOONG time ago, and I remember liking it. I will definitely find that one again now that you reminded me. Thanks! <3

Shigatsu (Your April is a Lie) ended up pretty much in the way I predicted. Visually, it was beautiful to watch however it didn't redeem the flaws over the course of the show. So glad it's over... *deletes*

5/10

Just finished FMA: bros in the hood. Really great show but I thought the ending was a bit too clean and kind of lacked any real weight. Still probably one of the best shonen (if not -the- best) ever made.

Shigatsu (Your April is a Lie) ended up pretty much in the way I predicted. Visually, it was beautiful to watch however it didn't redeem the flaws over the course of the show. So glad it's over... *deletes*

5/10

Maybe because I'm a girl but I cried a lot during the last few episodes. :')

8/10

Dated article and I've seen plenty just like it years back. All talk, no action.

Even if they managed to shut down most of those listed sites, another will pop up. Can't stop the internet.