CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #1: What's your favorite DIR EN GREY album?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #1  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite DIR EN GREY album?

• GAUZE
    • MACABRE
    • 鬼è?¬ (KISOU)
    • VULGAR
    • Withering to death.
    • THE MARROW OF A BONE
    • UROBOROS
    • DUM SPIRO SPERO

This will be the first in a series of official polls here. Just for fun - What's your favorite DIR EN GREY album?

OMG this is so cruel lol, I don't know how I can decide between the first four. Honestly, I love them all; the only ones that I could say I like "favour less" are Withering and DSS, and even then, those two are pretty great albums......

I think I'm gonna go with 鬼葬, just because it has always stood out the most to me, and is what really got me hooked after hearing the DECADE 1998-2002 compilation.

This is a pretty difficult choice even though I haven't listen to all their albums. >.< Decided on Withering to death. Since it was my first listen of theirs and my most memorable of all their work. Wonder which'll come out on top. I'm really excited for more of these!

This is freaking tough because I keep changing my mind as to what my favourite is! I chose Uroboros in the end because it's pretty much perfect, but if I could choose two I'd probably go for Gauze as I love every song off it.

It's a shame EPs aren't included as I would go for six Ugly in a heartbeat! I think the post-Kisou/pre-Vulgar sound was just awesome.

Man, you are giving me a hard time right now xD I am currently hovering in between Kisou, VULGAR and GAUZE - but if I have to pick one, it'd be pretty much Kisou according to my last.fm charts PLUS the fact that it's my first and quite important DEG album to me (basically introduced the miracles of vk back in 2001-2002-ish etc.) :)

VULGAR for me. Kinda tough choosing between it and Wtd., but in the end, VULGAR has the songs I like the most (and the live DVD following it is fantastic).

Totally seconding your sentence in parentheses - CoV is still brilliant ;O; *overexcited stan mode*

Uroboros, for me. The band had previously released two underwhelming albums with Withering to Death and Marrow of a Bone that featured a weird mash-up of influences in their infancy: pop, nu-metal, and metalcore. The albums featured the same variation in sound across different genres and subgenres; but never really explored them. They were there, as if superficial, to show that Dir en grey was trying REALLY hard to show that they can write heavy music: That they are a competent band outside of the VK scene. It was on Uroboros that they were able to finally release an album to the world where they were like "see? We can do this shit too". Though not a flawless masterpiece, it featured the band at a level of songwriting maturity previously unknown to them.

EDIT: spelling

This is a tough question as I like almost each of them, depending on mood. I went with THE MARROW OF A BONE because I suspect it will get close to no votes. XD ...and because it was such a "tangible" experience for me, since that was the first DEG album I actually purchased at the time it was released, and that's when I saw the band live for the first time and the trip (and of course the gig itself) brings back good memories whenever I put on this album.

Other top favs would've been MACABRE or UROBOROS.

Macabre all the way for me, so many good songs. I must admit though, I lost interest in them after MoaB, so I haven't listened to the albums after that.

After reading these comments I'm quite surprised some people have misgivings about withering to death. I thought people saw MOAB as the bad guy?! (I love both albums by the way).

Withering to death for me was the best and most played in my library. It had a little of everything there and just a great energy (and live it was just as good if not better!!). Gauze would be my close second since that was my introduction to them and I have so many nostalgia feels attached to it.. After Withering I've had a hard time enjoying their music. I like catchy Dir en grey, what can I say? XD

Withering to death for me was the best and most played in my library. It had a little of everything there and just a great energy (and live it was just as good if not better!!). Gauze would be my close second since that was my introduction to them and I have so many nostalgia feels attached to it.. After Withering I've had a hard time enjoying their music. I like catchy Dir en grey, what can I say? XD

I feel exactly the same way...

I'm picking Kisou. I do enjoy many other albums though, mostly vulgar and after. I'm not really a fan of Macabre(with the exception of the title song) and I just have conflicted feelings about Gauze. After Kisou I'd probably pick Uroboros. DSS too.

GAUZE -> Withering to death. -> 鬼葬 (KISOU) -> VULGAR -> MACABRE -> UROBOROS -> THE MARROW OF A BONE -> DUM SPIRO SPERO 

That is roughly the order I would put them in. Six Ugly would probably be fighting for the top spot for me if it was included.