CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #1: What's your favorite DIR EN GREY album?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #1  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite DIR EN GREY album?

• GAUZE
    • MACABRE
    • 鬼è?¬ (KISOU)
    • VULGAR
    • Withering to death.
    • THE MARROW OF A BONE
    • UROBOROS
    • DUM SPIRO SPERO

Uroboros. Its the first album I've purchased from them and it was the first time I really followed what they were doing (Via DVD's and such) while promoting that album. Also Uroboros with proof will always be my favorite live performance from them. It is the true embodiement of perfection, and intensity.

Vulgar was my first DEG album I ever preordered so it holds dear to me. I also heavily enjoyed the 2002-2003 era of DEG. A lot. So many good singles (Child prey, drain away, kasumi) and sixUgly was an incredible transition for them.

Macabre and Uroboros are high on my list. I can't really choose 1, but right now in this moment it feels right to say Macabre.

It's the era I remember most through their concerts and music videos. They put on a lot of cool lives during this time. I think this was still when Kyo would throw eggs at the fans during lives and spit out fake vomit and weird white goop. Strange bloke he was.

This was also around the time ain't afraid to die was released (which is my favorite song and music video of all time in all of the music in the world).

Also, BDSM Die

dir_en_grey%20die.jpg

I won't deny that Uroboros is the stronger album though. Macabre had some awesome songs, but some parts of the album would draaag.

They're also the first 2 Dir en Grey albums I ever bought. Heck, the first 2 Jrock CDs I ever bought.

(Although Uwajimaya rips you off like no other. 50$ for Macabre, what was I thinking (I wasn't)).

After reading these comments I'm quite surprised some people have misgivings about withering to death. I thought people saw MOAB as the bad guy?! (I love both albums by the way).

There were misgivings about WtD and especially MOAB for YEARS in DEG fandom tbqh - I was on the hate train as well until I realized that both albums have their own specific pros: WtD being balanced nicely in between catchy and sincere songs , and MOAB having quite a "live-worthy" production (Kyo's double-vocalling was pretty much at its minimum) avec awesome songs outside the "hurrdurr"-section ("Namamekashiki.." etc.).

In addition to above-mentioned albums' defense, I have to say that albums starting from GAUZE 'til VULGAR are pretty much "the holy Quadrinity" of DEG (an overstatement, but you get the gist!) - mainly thanks to showcasing what the band could do without backing out too much for Kyo's sake.

I am among those who love Withering to Death, though it's not as good as  Macabre, Uroboros, Gauze and Missa. But it's a good album. Kodou are probably among my 5-6 favourite Dir en grey songs.

My Favorite album is withering to death, because it's the first album who I have bought.

But for say truth all of their album are the best, because each of these are the best album of their era, and I think Arche will be the best album of 2014.

DeG 4 Ever & Ever.

For me its a hard choice between MACABRE, 鬼葬 and DSS. MACABRE has great variety and DSS has an awesome atmosphere, but i'll go with 鬼葬 cause i get the best feeling listening to it.

When seeing this poll, i guessed UROBOROS would be most picked by the hype it received/its receiving, which i just dont understand. For me its by far their worst. Ok, it has VINUSHKA but that song is also on DSS (DIABOLOS; i never expected DEG to re-use their own riffs meh). And 蜷局 cant fully make up for the rest.

Favorite look/style era would be around VULGAR/Wtd.

This is veeery though XD, I've always tried to choose a favorite, but I just can't; I'm always torn between UROBOROS, WTD and VULGAR.

I feel that, on a whole, WTD is their more coherent album, with the best songs. And THE FINAL was the song that introduced me to them, so, yeah, Withering to Death!

@filth_y - everyone has their own opinion, but Uroboros is up there because it kicks ass on so many levels. Not only is the album heavy (in a much better way than DSS) but it also has some of their most experimental and interesting songs yet. Toguro and Stuck Man, for example, are just brilliant.

Also Diabolos sounds nothing like Vinushka. The latter is so much better :)

If I went by my last.fm charts for the most played album, DSS is at the top. If I go by what I feel is the best album they've recorded, it would be Uroboros. If I'm allowed to choose two, it would be Uroboros and Macabre.

Pretty much exactly the same for me... (minus last.fm charts). I had a very hard time picking between Uroboros and Macabre.

But I'm a huge fan and would vote for all the albums if I could. XD

VULGAR is one of the most important albums of my life, albums I not only listened, but ebraced over and over again in school. It shaped me a little, in some weird way.

I find something amazing in every Deg record, but this was my first time with them, and it was sublime.

So, VULGAR.

I am honestly surprised (in a good way) that WTD is currently in second. I was under the (apparently incorrect) opinion that it was not one of Diru more highly regarded albums.

I am honestly surprised (in a good way) that WTD is currently in second. I was under the (apparently incorrect) opinion that it was not one of Diru more highly regarded albums.

I guess it was the first DEG album many people listened to (inluding me), so it may be because of that too.

Dum Spiro Spero , this was a close fight between this and Uroboros , but in the end DSS wins cause it had a lot better Progressive and Experimental mixes with both Death Metal and Deathcore .

I guess it was the first DEG album many people listened to (inluding me), so it may be because of that too.

You are not wrong but you are not entirely right as well . WTD was on of the best albums in their Nu-Metal era and as majority of ppl here are VK fans that means they also like Alternative and Nu Metal the most . But this is only me guessing here as well . No one has the gift (or curse , depends how you see it) to read others minds to know whats in their heads .

BTW my first DeG album was Missa .

Dum Spiro Spero , this was a close fight between this and Uroboros , but in the end DSS wins cause it had a lot better Progressive and Experimental mixes with both Death Metal and Deathcore .

You are not wrong but you are not entirely right as well . WTD was on of the best albums in their Nu-Metal era and as majority of ppl here are VK fans that means they also like Alternative and Nu Metal the most . But this is only me guessing here as well . No one has the gift (or curse , depends how you see it) to read others minds to know whats in their heads .

BTW my first DeG album was Missa .

Yeah! I'm only guessing too... If I'm not mistaken, WTD was the first album of theirs that was released outside of Japan, maybe it was important to make them more popular, at least.

Maybe , as said this was one their best albums in that particualr era , and altough Vulgar was the album that started it and was great , WTD was the last one and sounded even better . Well a lot of ppl tend to pick the best album of a band as the one they started with the band cause of it being full of good memories . In DeG im picking DSS when ive started with their first mini , but if you would ask about Galneryus i would say that it was their 3rd album thats the best for me , and in that case it would be the first album ive heard from them . But lets leave it at that .

I hope some more ppl will vote for DSS .

voted for kisou bc. it has the highest fav songs number on a single deg album for me, although it could be vulgar because of amazing singles and promotional videos during that era.

WTD comes very close to vulgar as well.

I almost stopped caring for gauze, macabre and the latest 3 albums, but still have high hopes for the coming one ~