CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

Ahh I see, examples? I can think of plenty of examples of that kind of singing style but everyone has their own cut-off for what becomes unpleasant lmaoo

I can't tell you all singers names, but just some bands that come to mind: 9Goats Black out, D, Versailles, Jupiter, Phantasmagoria (and folks), Kiryu, (what I like of) Mejibray, etc. pp. There's a lot more but right now these come to mind first. ^^

I can't tell you all singers names, but just some bands that come to mind: 9Goats Black out, D, Versailles, Jupiter, Phantasmagoria (and folks), Kiryu, (what I like of) Mejibray, etc. pp. There's a lot more but right now these come to mind first. ^^

How are any of these guys singing in a 'girly' voice? Any of the vocalists you named most definitely don't sing in a generic high voice... eh, or you must mean the complete opposite here.

How are any of these guys singing in a 'girly' voice? Any of the vocalists you named most definitely don't sing in a generic high voice... eh, or you must mean the complete opposite here.

I think he meant the opposite. My favorite vocalists have that generic 'girly' voice, and I'm pretty sure he meant bands such as Royz, アルルカン, コドモドラゴン,etc. There's nothing girly in Kamijo's or Asagi's voice :D

I agree on the vocal types of Asagi and 9Goats Ryo. Half the time (or most of the time) to me they just sound forced and pretentious and plain annoying. Sadly they ruined my whole listening experience from these two bands. I believe Satsuki's vocals are in the same vein but at least during RES he was versatile enough to enjoy.

Wow, that's completely controversial as opposed of my opinion. Vocalists like Ryo, Asagi and Satsuki are immense musicians, they rise out above the general vocalist and are an example to many beginners. They don't sound like any other vocalist, whereas I can line up ten generic bands who are extremely popular (i.e. GazettE, Royz, Alice Nine, ViViD, SuG, etc.) who sound exactly the same, both in vocals as well as music-wise.

Wow, that's completely controversial as opposed of my opinion. Vocalists like Ryo, Asagi and Satsuki are immense musicians, they rise out above the general vocalist and are an example to many beginners. They don't sound like any other vocalist, whereas I can line up ten generic bands who are extremely popular (i.e. GazettE, Royz, Alice Nine, ViViD, SuG, etc.) who sound exactly the same, both in vocals as well as music-wise.

It depends on what kind of VK you like. For someone who really likes eg. Royz, I wouldn't even compare them to GazettE, Alice Nine, ViViD or SuG. They all have their distinctive sounds. Though there are many bands that have the same synth-driven sound as Royz, I must say that you picked all the wrong bands :D

whereas I can line up ten generic bands who are extremely popular (i.e. GazettE, Royz, Alice Nine, ViViD, SuG, etc.) who sound exactly the same, both in vocals as well as music-wise.

Every single band you have mentioned sounds different from the others. I don't even like the GazettE nor listen to them much anymore (well, not as much as I used to); but to say that these 5 bands sound the same is honestly quite mind-boggling.

Although I guess this isn't as preposterous an assertion as some other claims I've heard - namely, "ALL oshare bands sound the same," or "ALL neo-vk sounds the same" - which I simply can't take seriously because (i) these people probably haven't heard a significant portion of what constitutes "oshare" music, let alone "ALL"; and (ii) it's just a lazy way of dismissing a kind of music they don't (happen to) like.

Sorry, I didn't mean ALL of them have ALL the characteristics I counted up. But.. to say the vocalists of Kiryu, Mejibray, Phantasmagoria don't sound girlie or high-pitched.. that's strange. I mean you can have the opinion that sounding like a girl or generally high-pitched, pretentious etc. is kind of your definition of manhood in music, but that doesn't take the fact that it "sounds" the way I or others mentioned.

IMO, both deep and high vocalists have equal chance of sounding pretentious if they put on a fake voice. I'm just gonna not drop any names here but for as many vocalists out there who purposely sing in an extra nasally head voice, there are just as many who you can physically feel opening their throat to try to sound as deep, bass-operatic as they can.

Putting on that kind of "character" voice isn't really a deal breaker for me, as it's kind of always been hand in hand with the THEATAHH(pretentious voice) that is VK

I can understand where the above (now previous page lol) is coming from, with the vocalists being mentioned, but I also don't think they sound girlie. I think it's because when I think of a male girlie voice, all I can think of are the crazy, rather high-pitched Oshare singers. Sure some others sound rather feminine (to be honest, I've always thought that of Shou and Mao, not just for having distinctive voices). And about Asagi's and Ryo's voices, I can only describe them as bloody beautiful, seriously. I guess, as we can see above with the replies, it's all about how we hear them ourselves. Rather interesting, we all determine and label certain words differently. 

None of the above sound high-pitched to me, at all. I don't know what you're listening to but they can't be Mahiro, Tsuzuku or Riku.

Why do you specify on yourself what it sounds like, and then follow up making a general approach? I mean we won't come to any conclusions if our senses differ that much.. so at least let's keep it with what we hear out differently and how we connect what we hear to certain expressions.. like the ones I mentioned.

No one needs to come to a conclusion. They're obviously 'opinions' as the topic title reads. I'm just stating facts, for I don't know how you can consider death/screaming vocals as girlie.

I believe (so that's very subjective) that many people just don't like it when Asagi pushes himself clearly to sound more epic and operatic. Now I am personally not a huge fan of operas (although i was once a huge Symphonic Metal fan. Maybe I am just too overfed with it) and I can understand it when people say they are annoyed when Asagi tries to show off his amazing singer skillz. I also think that his "normal" singing voice is beautiful enough and that at many parts of D songs an epic baritone or falsetto interlude aren't needed. I think that's also the problem many listeners have with Kyo as well. Many Dir en grey songs would work just fine without his strange falsetto impressions. It is, in the end, more a matter of taste as many others like those elements and appreciate them.

No one needs to come to a conclusion. They're obviously 'opinions' as the topic title reads. I'm just stating facts, for I don't know how you can consider death/screaming vocals as girlie.

Yes, we do need to come to the conclusion THAT these here are opinions. That's what you're seemingly not getting.

Aside from the fact that putting aside these certain characteristics we talk about just because they use "death vocals" (I wonder how long until the next hospital visit) is a poor way of making your argument. Because now you're explicitly stating you don't connect their singing styles with a sort of girlie/feminine attitude BECAUSE of certain elements within their style that YOU factually exclude from said characteristics, no matter what. Let's stay there for an example: When Asagi does those "death vocals", I feel a strong sense of feminine/girlieness coming from them. Do you want to tell me that factually this is impossible? No it isn't, it's just my perception. Or opinion, if you will. And same goes for the clean singing... for me it's not a matter of saying "oh, but he screams..that makes it sound totally manly to me". That's your approach, not mine.

So don't come to me with "facts". That just shows your ignorance.

Well, no need to be rude and offensive, thank you. I'll end that discussion with you because if you're going to become like this there is no need for me to continue. 

Well, no need to be rude and offensive, thank you. I'll end that discussion with you because if you're going to become like this there is no need for me to continue. 

That's very sad. Please grow a thicker hide in the future.

When Asagi does those "death vocals", I feel a strong sense of feminine/girlieness coming from them. Do you want to tell me that factually this is impossible? No it isn't, it's just my perception. Or opinion, if you will. And same goes for the clean singing... for me it's not a matter of saying "oh, but he screams..that makes it sound totally manly to me". That's your approach, not mine.

Lol I actually know some female vocalists who can growl just like him or manlier :P

Lol I actually know some female vocalists who can growl just like him or manlier :P

Well of course. It's just all about Asagi that screams for "woman". It's just who he is..from my point of view, of course. And I don't see it as a bad thing if even his growls reflect his persona or style. I just happen to not like it anymore. I also have Angela Gossow immendiately in mind as a sort of counter-example. Ever since I watched the music video of "My Apocalypse" I can't think of her but a man in a woman's hide.

Apart of that, Asagi's growls actually have much more quality than many other VK vocalists. .. Is this an unpopular opinion?

It's the total oposite for me. I consider Asagi's growls to be a bit weak and powerless, but I think he sounds more manly, powerful and way better than Angela Gossow.

Well of course. It's just all about Asagi that screams for "woman". It's just who he is..from my point of view, of course. And I don't see it as a bad thing if even his growls reflect his persona or style. I just happen to not like it anymore. I also have Angela Gossow immendiately in mind as a sort of counter-example. Ever since I watched the music video of "My Apocalypse" I can't think of her but a man in a woman's hide.

Apart of that, Asagi's growls actually have much more quality than many other VK vocalists. .. Is this an unpopular opinion?

His growls always make me chuckle because of the chirping sounds in his voice and I just can't take him seriously. I guess I only like his singing when it's not overly operatic or trying to do some special effects :P As to his visual style I can't seem to like any of his looks at all, with maybe a few exceptions.

I don't know her but I think Masha Arhipova (Scream) from Arkona is also pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fuuDc2hH0

As far as female growlers goes, I can't realy think of too many who sounds very manly when growling. That itself is not something I consider a negative factor, though. I like plenty of female growlers who does not sound like men even when growling. But chicks like Runhild Gammelsæter from Thorr's Hammer, Dana Duffey from Mythic, Sharon Bascovsky from Derkéta, Koldovstvo from Sortilegia, Doomed Warrior from Into Darkness and Alicia Morgan from 13 are the few I can think of right now that would've fooled me. There's obviously more chicks, but I can't think of more right now.