CAT5

What bands would you introduce j-rock virgins to first?

I realize it's kind of weird, but I wouldn't introduce my really really favorite bands first. ...

me too! i do this too now. =)

I realize it's kind of weird, but I wouldn't introduce my really really favorite bands first. It's probably just because I'm surrounded with non-music listeners, but most people's reactions to any music I listen to tends to be "WTF?" or "umm... no thanks" -_- WHATEVER I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THESE BANDS ARE GOOD D<

I'm on this too :D Because I don't want them to hurt my feelings about the bands I like. In other words,I will introduce them NEW BREED. This band is a good starter for new listeners of hardcore musics :D

I would do what I've always done in the past when introducing visual kei to people...

Introduce them to my favorite bands, but the ones that may interest them based on their own musical interests. Hasn't failed me yet lol. Even got my dad and my boyfriend to like some visual kei.

What kinda of Jrock doe?

If it's light/anime OP style, then probably UverWorld/Back-on.

If it's an intro to the VK, then probably An Cafe/Malice Mizer

If they are impatient, then I'll tell them to fuck off.

I introduced all my friends to MUCC circa 2006, they liked a couple songs. A few of them dipped into Dir en grey but they really didn't like anything outside of those, so I guess I messed up haha.

Since then I've kept all these bands to myself >.>

I try to stick to the genres they already like so it's not some crazy culture shock, and unless that person has expressed interest in Japanese culture I stick with an English language band. Sometimes I just slip them into a mix of other bands they know and casually explain that one band is Japanese. Their ears usually perk up when half the song went by and they had no idea.

I would definitely give them the same bands that i started out with back in the day.

the pillows

Asian Kung-Fu Generation

L'arc en Ciel

and then from their I would branch them out into the more indie stuff. I really wouldn't recommend trying to get somebody into Jmusic with VK, especially close minded American people where I'm from... they tend to take a look the band and instantly write it off as "tranny music" and won;t change their mind afterwards (speaking from experience btw) definitely would introduce VK later on once the base has been established. 

I would recommend them something based on my own taste, if they ask me for recommendations. I know my music taste is generally considered weird, and I don't like to flaunt around with my weird bands. When people ask what kind of music I listen to, I generally answer that I like Japanese underground rock, as weird as it sounds lol. If they actually seem interested, I'd link them a few videos from Youtube or compile for them a short mix tape.

I think I've linked a few VK videos to people maybe once or twice in the past five years, and I chose harder bands because they were into metal. I think I showed them Nocturnal Bloodlust (lol) and some other heavy band.

Oh, interesting question!

Generally I would recommend... Hm, something nice/famous from different eras (and of course something that goes with my music taste - that is mostly vk).

My recommendations would be: BUCK-TICK (they used to be quite the first ones in visual kei, but aren't that much anymore and they have been doing/trying so many different music styles), Malice Mizer (who wouldn't recommend them?), GACKT (because he's legend itself and his music is  quite easy to listen), DIAURA (well, they're doing quite well and have quite clear & interesting concept) and maybe D (because ASAGI's singing technique and  their appearance with beautiful clothes/songs).

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

Early Gackt. Specifically Mars and Rebirth. 

Make sure they skip "Papa Lapped a Pap Lopped" though.

I think in past I've played stuff like X-Japan, Sex Machineguns and Guitar Wolf to some people, but generally I don't try pushing my music taste to others or play my music out loud. Even with western music, people usually shun away whenever I play them something that I like, so I'll just save them from biggest VK trannie stuff. I do mention I listen to VK though if asked, but it's more along paradoxal's japanese underground rock.

I used to have few CDs at my ex's car and once she was driving around with her friends and they gave my music a listen out of curiosity... They thought it was some horrible noice mostly and were asking like where the hell I find music like that :D I don't remember what exactly they heard, but I believe it was gazette's disorder and some diru at least...

Honestly my pick for a band to introduce as a nice overview of what J-Rock is all about would probably be Girugamesh. They were the band that really got me into Japanese music (or re-kindled my interest really, given I was really into Gackt and a bunch of anime openings from my youth).  To me their style is kind of all encompassing, especially with the recent string of albums utilizing electronics / pop infused passages. They've got a bit of Visual Kei, mainstream "One Ok Rock" vibe, Japan's underground post-hardcore scene, classic X-Japan type J-Rock, and I dare say even a bit of an anime opening sound on occasion (though they haven't done any anime tie-ups, I maintain at least some of their catalogue could have made good openings. Notably INCOMPLETE has the right song structure for it, in my opinion). A very well rounded band that I think portrays J-Rock very well, objectively speaking, in a variety of ways.

I just ask what anime openings they like and will tell them to listen to the band that did the opening. 

For Japanese rock in general, I would introduce them to X-Japan, Siam Shade, Dead End/Morrie, Anthem, and Loudness.  Gods in the J-Rock pantheon (in my opinion).

Edited by Atreides