Zeus

Why do you still use last.fm?

I figured this place could use another discussion topic.

There's a real encyclopedia of information and music knowledge there and if the last.fm servers ever go dark that's a lot of information that could go missing, but the real draw for me is a near-permanent place on the internet to source album and artist pictures. I'm not even sure where I would go to get what I need for my reviews if last.fm were to go. I thought about returning but I am a man of my principles and I don't scrobble as heavy as I used to, so it wouldn't get much use.

Why do you guys still use last.fm? How do you guys still use last.fm? Is it still working for you?

Nowadays i have two accounts in Last.fm. I am just there to remember what i listened in my last years and let a memory of my musical taste when i die.

Of course that i check sometimes my library to enjoy my last playlists or i try to found some new artist (rarely happens now).

Edited by Delkmiroph

2 hours ago, Chi said:

stats... and an easy way to show others the stuff im into

this lol i don't use it for anything else. however i like the "recommended next" feature when you're on an artist's page, i found some new bands that way. it's also neat if bands have a bio done and you get a bit of a history lesson on em (and it's handy to check whether or not they're disbanded, because usually that's listed too).

but the big thing is stats. i never would've gotten last.fm if i never switched from iphone to android, where on android my stats don't get synced to itunes on my computer. 

I always enjoyed having a visual representation of my music taste, and of course the stats are neat too. I much prefer the old library, though.

And honestly, as much as last.fm has gone downhill, the site has become such an integral part of my online experience, that it would be next to impossible for me to unyoke myself from it. *sigh* 

I'd say I'm back and forth with it. I used it more when I was a hella VK Stan but lately I think I'm just too busy and I stream a lot from my phone and it doesn't scrobble so I forget sometimes

A lot of my early major musical discoveries are tied to this site, so it holds great sentimental value for me. I'll probably use it for as long as it exists, as it's the sole witness so to say of my musical interests over the years. It's too bad it's missing all the nu metal/ alternative rock of my early teens and the app won't scrobble from my phone so all of those plays sadly get lost. Other than stats, I play my library or write bios when I'm bored at work. I don't really use it to discover new artists anymore. The new design is the pits tho, so sterile and lifeless.

At this point, I use it mostly due to habit. I've had my account for over 12 years now and it'd feel weird not using it anymore. Sure the database portion of it is not that appealing to me anymore, but there are still quite a few things I use within the website, namely the "loved tracks" section (helps me remember what I liked/listened to the most throughout the year) and the artists page whenever I'm in the mood to go around discovering new music.

Early on I used it because it was fun seeing what my friends were listening to and using the recommended artists feature to find more stuff I might like. Being an MH user helped me develop a whole new appreciation for the website, though. When I started reviewing and cataloging my favorite artists/releases of the year I had all my listening statistics and artist information at my fingertips... so that is also exceedingly helpful. So I guess now I've grown to appreciate more of the listening statistics side of the website, but it's still fun to see what friends have been up to once in a while.

i use it mainly for the stats too. it's fun to see what i've been listening to in the past and how my music tastes have changed over the years. but i also spend a lot of time browsing the similar artists section to find new music as well. lastf.m allowed me to discover so many different kinds of music/artists that it's hard for me to let it go.

also, when i discover a new artist elsewhere (like youtube or mh) i sometimes immediately go to their artist page to see which of my friends listen to them already, or see how much popularity they have and figure out which album of theirs i should listen to first, if they're listed.

I've been there for so long now that it's kind of hard not to? + I'm just really stuck on statsthingies. It's somehow too fun to see my own stats and charts change every time.

Tbh, sometimes I want that weekly charts thing back, where you could see how many spots a certain artist had won/lost since the previous week.

habits die hard, and plus I haven't had major problems with their scrobbler desktop and mobile plugin in over half a decade, so it's just really easy to install and get going now a days that there's really no reason not to be using it for me.

Also like many people have said, artist pictures! one of the best places to go for band pics all in one place. sometimes band bios  come in handy too when i go on the random research binge sate my own curiosity.

mostly habit, with a side of cross-referencing ID3 tags and sometimes adding pictures (everyone loves pictures)

never used it for "discovery" (save for a few times i've stumbled across life-changing stuff in the similar artists—tokyo michael early in my vk education, for example)

it's nice as a musical diary of sorts, but i haven't any Attachment to it

On 12/08/2017 at 4:14 PM, Chi said:

stats... and an easy way to show others the stuff im into

This is why I started, back before The Incident. To keep up with others' tastes in music, and to show mine as well. It was always cool to see the "friends now listening" page.

I still have my account, but I haven't scrobbled anything since April 2016. A part of me thinks about going back every now and then. I'm not gonna delete my account.

These days, the site is my album artwork dumping ground 😄

For the stats. Even though Last.fm changed for worse, it still serves it's basic purpose, so I think I'll stop using it when even keeping track of your listening habits becomes impossible there.

forgot to mention that i sometimes upload new artist photos too. i didn't really do it back then probably cuz there were plenty of users who did it so i didn't care. but now that there are less users it kinda feels like a job for me to upload them AND to make sure that they fit the stupid image grid cuz it really annoys me when people just upload it without cropping/fixing so that you only see like two of the members. yeah, last.fm has completely taken over me HELP.

I don’t really have a reason why I still use it. I’ve had my acct since 2003 and have steadily continued to use it only because the music platforms I use still enable it to scrobble like Spotify. So I just go with it. If Spotify didn’t have scrobbling I could care less. I don’t have last fm downloaded on my Mac to use on iTunes. Last fm died a long time ago. They tried to revamp it and bring it back from the dead but just fucked it over in the process. So yeah, the only reason I still use it is because Spotify. 

I never intend to leave.

The new last.fm removes its social media aspect, which isn't much to begin with, and full of trolls, but it is still functional for scrobbling music and showing shows nearby my place which is why I joined in the first place.

So it is necessary to verify all your dummy accounts now in order to up-and downvote artists' pictures. However when you verify and go back to the page, it hasn't worked and you will be sent into an endless loop of dysfunctional verification. Lovely.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:38 PM, Kaye said:

I've been there for so long now that it's kind of hard not to? + I'm just really stuck on statsthingies. It's somehow too fun to see my own stats and charts change every time.

Tbh, sometimes I want that weekly charts thing back, where you could see how many spots a certain artist had won/lost since the previous week.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:35 PM, Original Saku said:

habits die hard, and plus I haven't had major problems with their scrobbler desktop and mobile plugin in over half a decade, so it's just really easy to install and get going now a days that there's really no reason not to be using it for me.

Also like many people have said, artist pictures! one of the best places to go for band pics all in one place. sometimes band bios  come in handy too when i go on the random research binge sate my own curiosity.

This and this my thoughts exactly.