Sign in to follow this  
Lestat

Kaoru (Dir en grey) suffering from nerve paralysis in his right hand

Since 2014, Kaoru has been suffering from nerve paralysis and dysfunction in his index finger and thumb. Since recently, his other three fingers have also been getting worse. Currently he is unable to properly play and needs to have his hand taped up during live performances to prevent any further damage. It is unclear whether the issue may resolve itself (or with surgery), but there is currently no further change in his situation.

Source: https://t.co/msYghZs9yr

Wow, that is depressing. Hope he heals, after all, his life depends on it (not to mention the fact that he is one hella gifted musician).

Guest lynchisizer

first Karma now Kaoru, this is indeed a bad day... hope he will recover, would be really sad if we wouldn't get to listen to any of his music anymore :(

I hope he has tried to seek medical help before because, as we can see now, it only gets worse.

It is possible to solve this without surgery so I'm hoping that'll be the case.

i cant even joke about this i really cant imagine not hearing kaoru play sjkhjskahjk i hope he gets better

Perhaps it is similar to what affects secretaries whose hands have to be in the same position on a keyboard for long periods of time in order to type. It ends up kind of suffocating a nerve along the wrist and if it gets worse it needs surgery.

Perhaps it is similar to what affects secretaries whose hands have to be in the same position on a keyboard for long periods of time in order to type. It ends up kind of suffocating a nerve along the wrist and if it gets worse it needs surgery.

Very likely. I don't remember the exact term in English, but in Portuguese we call it "lesão por esforço repetitivo" (roughly translated as "injury caused by repetitive work"). He probably suffers from numbness in the three nerves that go through the wrist (radial, ulnar and median) due to the nature of the guitar playing. Physical therapy can help, but some cases do require surgery indeed.

Very likely. I don't remember the exact term in English, but in Portuguese we call it "lesão por esforço repetitivo" (roughly translated as "injury caused by repetitive work"). He probably suffers from numbness in the three nerves that go through the wrist (radial, ulnar and median) due to the nature of the guitar playing. Physical therapy can help, but some cases do require surgery indeed.

I forgot the name of that syndrome in my own language too, but managed to find it:

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed as it travels through the wrist at the carpal tunnel and causes pain, numbness and tingling, in the part of the hand that receives sensation from the median nerve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I forgot the name of that syndrome in my own language too, but managed to find it:

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed as it travels through the wrist at the carpal tunnel and causes pain, numbness and tingling, in the part of the hand that receives sensation from the median nerve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I don't know if it's CTS or something in that family but as someone that has it he needs to stop playing now. @leafwork is right; the more he pushes himself the worse this gets.

Sign in to follow this