sai

Music sharing and entitlement

This is a topic that has interested me for quite a while now, and I figured I should make a thread for it after what happened to kyoselflove on tumblr.

I think a lot of people who are avid sharers of music have experienced something as we call it "entitlement". Perhaps you feel like you have a right to listen to a new CD for free, or you get bugged by people on last.fm to share stuff. It's something that I've seen on MH too, especially in discussion threads, so to avoid further unrelated discussion in other threads, here you can talk about it all you want!

So, here are a few questions related to the subject of visual kei and music entitlement, I think this will generate better discussion than taking one very broad, open question.

1. Do you feel like you are entitled to free music? If you do, why? If you don't, why not?

2. How do you feel about people refusing to share their music because they want to support the band?

3. In relation to the second question, what do you think of people who tell others not to share something they themselves paid money for as they think its content is exclusively for those who paid for it?

4. Do you think entitlement to free music is worse in visual kei than in other communities?

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

6. Have you ever been approached by people, either on Monochrome Heaven or last.fm, who wanted you to share something? If you didn't want to share, how did they react? What did you think of their reaction?

These are some starting questions. Just fill them out and add anything you'd like to add about the topic :D Also, keep it clean. I know opinions differ but they're not hurting anyone, so don't call someone scum for sharing your precious MEJIBRAY DVD. Okay? Okay. Other than that, discuss away!

Haha, nice topic Sai xD

1. Do you feel like you are entitled to free music? If you do, why? If you don't, why not?

Well, I wouldn't say I am entitled to free music, but I like it.  Especially for bands I have never heard of or some I'm not sure of.  I think it is especially important for visual kei bands to share, or else I would be like...Lycaon....Lycaon who?  Meji-what? EH?!

2. How do you feel about people refusing to share their music because they want to support the band?

Fucking retarded, because I share music and support the band. But hey everyone is entitled to do what they want.  Just stop flaunting you have something and don't want to share, that's annoying. 'Oh I'm sorry you love this band but are broke as hell, too bad!  It is SOOOO amazing!' Nuh-uh.

3. In relation to the second question, what do you think of people who tell others not to share something they themselves paid money for as they think its content is exclusively for those who paid for it?

It doesn't make any sense to me.  In my opinion if you buy something it is yours and you can do what you want with it.  I think people just like to feel superior and feel 'closer' to the band.  But I mean if you don't want to share, by all means don't.  Just don't make a big fucking deal out of it.  Because you know what, the people sharing that shit also paid money for it.

4. Do you think entitlement to free music is worse in visual kei than in other communities?

Hell yes, *looking at you Nocturnal Butthurt*

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

I think that is also stupid, when I buy something I upload it in mp3 only because my internet sucks ass.  But if people want lossless I will do it (It takes forever guys, for reals lol).  If I download something, even in the highest quality, and I love it, I will definitely buy it.

6. Have you ever been approached by people, either on Monochrome Heaven or last.fm, who wanted you to share something? If you didn't want to share, how did they react? What did you think of their reaction?

I have never wanted to not share something, that seems rude.  My mommy taught me to share xD

Sorry I was still upset when I wrote this, I could have probably voiced my opinions with less vulgarity.  

Edited by kyoselflove

Very interesting topic, sadly i don't have the experience to answer all the questions. I can just talk for myself.

I remember a few years ago, I shared some stuff (because I am an egoist person of nature, I don't share easily and I was thinking that it could be benefic for me to share something with the others, even on the internet) but everyone stole it and repost it everywhere without a simple credit or thank you...it pissed me off, really, and I stopped sharing. Stupid reaction isn't it ? I want to say, there is 2 parts on sharing, the giver and the target people (I wanted to say 'recipient' as the translator said, but I'm really not sure XDDDD), everyone need to play its part (by commenting or share his thoughts, and not just steal it or the link without a word).

I was also a compulsive buyer, I wanted everything, the rare stuff and all just to be able to see 'yes, I have this one/everything, I'm a trve fan 1!1!11! You want it ? buy it ! ehehehe !'. It was so childish lmao what a shame, I'm not like that anymore. But I've never done the low bitrate. it's stupid, if you want to share, share it for real (not necessarily flac or something but at least a great bitrate).

Now I'm older and honestly I just don't care anymore (I have others stuff in my mind that my e-reputation xD), even if yes, it's always cool to have a like or a simple thank you, let's be honest.

Very interesting topic, sadly i don't have the experience to answer all the questions. I can just talk for myself.

I remember a few years ago, I shared some stuff (because I am an egoist person of nature, I don't share easily and I was thinking that it could be benefic for me to share something with the others, even on the internet) but everyone stole it and repost it everywhere without a simple credit or thank you...it pissed me off, really, and I stopped sharing. Stupid reaction isn't it ? I want to say, there is 2 parts on sharing, the giver and the target people (I wanted to say 'recipient' as the translator said, but I'm really not sure XDDDD), everyone need to play its part (by commenting or share his thoughts, and not just steal it or the link without a word).

I was also a compulsive buyer, I wanted everything, the rare stuff and all just to be able to see 'yes, I have this one/everything, I'm a trve fan 1!1!11! You want it ? buy it ! ehehehe !'. It was so childish lmao what a shame, I'm not like that anymore. But I've never done the low bitrate. it's stupid, if you want to share, share it for real (not necessarily flac or something but at least a great bitrate).

Now I'm older and honestly I just don't care anymore (I have others stuff in my mind that my e-reputation xD), even if yes, it's always cool to have a like or a simple thank you, let's be honest.

I have never been like that, the whole give me credit thing.  I can understand why it would piss you off and other people but to me, I'm like I just put this CD into a thingy and ripped it with a thingy?  Why do I need credit?  Instead of people crediting me I would rather them link to the bands official site or something lol.

But I agree with the wanting a like or thank you lol.  It makes me happy :D

I have never been like that, the whole give me credit thing.  I can understand why it would piss you off and other people but to me, I'm like I just put this CD into a thingy and ripped it with a thingy?  Why do I need credit?  Instead of people crediting me I would rather them link to the bands official site or something lol.

But I agree with the wanting a like or thank you lol.  It makes me happy :D

Your generosity is without equal, I'm impressed !! What I meant is, you took time to rip the audio or video, scanned and then shared etc

It also makes me happy :D

No. I don't think anyone is entitled to free music. We're lucky that people decide to share what they payed their own money for and while I don't expect people to grovel for downloads, being mildly appreciative is tactful.

I respect that as their prerogative. It's their CD, they can do what they wish with it. 

Honestly, I think its bullshit. I feel like the band/artist is the only one who has a right to say something like this. 

No. Its the same everywhere. I just think visual kei communities don't try to hide it. 

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

I think any bitrate is fine. As I've said previously, it's their own time and money and whatever they wish to share is to the downloaders' benefit. It's better than nothing, right? If it's not good enough for you then don't download it. Simple.

I have. I've been approached on last.fm, tumblr, even weird strangers finding my email address and harassing me there, recently. I usually don't reply to them to spare any kind of argument. If or when I feel like sharing something, I'll make it known.

Getting down to brass tacks around here, hopefully people don't get crazy in this thread. lol.

In reference to some of kyoselflove's answers. I agree that people who like to rub in other people's faces that they have something other's do not, should not be surprised when those people are sour about it. No one likes a braggart. 

I've never felt like I'm entitled to free music. In fact I believe no one is, and the reason is simple. For all the high-flatulent rhetoric about music being an art form and the idealized/oversentimental opinion that like all art, music must be free from all monetary associations, it is a fact that music exists in our society as a commodity whether we like or not. That doesn't mean musicians are prohibited from giving away music for free; it just means that no one, in virtue of their status as consumers, should demand to get music for free. The fact that music isn't a perishable commodity (akin to, say, potato chips or MRI machines) only distracts from this reality.

People have the right to refuse to share anything that they own. Let me be clearer. I'm not saying that consumers own the rights to the content (obviously they don't), but they do get to decide what they want to do with music in the form of a physical product (CD, VHS, whatever)--they can share it with everyone, or keep it to themselves, or sell it at 5 times the retail price, or feed it to their hamster. If they are deprived of even this fundamental right to decide what to do with the thing they buy, why would anyone even buy anything in the first place?

Even if both my friend and I own the same release, I have the right to not share mine but this right doesn't extend to demanding him not to share his.

No comments on this, since I don't know "other communities" well enough to make any sort of meaningful comparison.

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD? Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

I admit that it used to be the case that I'm frustrated when I see 128 rips floating around and there was no way to find a better quality rip. This frustration stems mainly from people not providing good rips because they aren't familiar on ripping, encoding, etc. So it's sort of an unfortunate accident that we get these bad rips. But I do feel that if people really know what they're doing, they definitely have the right to share in lower bitrates to encourage others to purchase the CD. How effective is it? That's a separate question. Again, because they own it, they get to decide. I can request, but if I don't own the CD there's no entitlement to speak of.

Not frequently, but most of the time I feel people usually understand why I might not want to share something.

Other tangential remarks:

Often I find people way too obsessed with what others do with their music; those who refuse to share their music are branded "elitists" and those who don't buy their music are "leechers". A lot of these finger-pointing obscures how we should actually be buying the CD if we like the music enough and have the means to. Without blatantly endorsing piracy I do believe there's a place for sharing (mainly because it's not humanly possible to own ALL music that one likes), but this isn't incompatible with my belief that everyone should buy music insofar as they can afford it - simply because if no one buys, then no more music will be produced.

Another thing: as someone who has uploaded a fair bit of music, I think I don't only speak for myself when I say that the purported "glamor" and "reputation" of uploaders are ridiculously overstated. There's very little "benefit" (if at all) of sharing music that we own, and we lose nothing at all if we ever decide to stop sharing. Most of the time people share something because they hope to interest the community and they act out of their own goodwill, not because they feel as if they have a moral duty to do so. Hell no. I return you to my comments that any such sense of entitlement is nothing short of delusional.

I have a feeling I know who influenced the OP to create this topic... fucking Mejibray fanbase.

No, because people are supposed to buy it, if someone is nice and shares, that's great!

It depends on their attitude. Sure, they have the right to not share, but it doesn't mean they have to be assholes about it and post gifs of their rarez all over tumblr. I hate such showoffs. If you want to respect the copyright, then do it! Making and posting gifs means you don't respect it anymore... and if someone's like "bla bla bla I have this and it's great bla bla bla" I want their face to meet my fist, seriously. Not all people can buy, so just enjoy your stuff and shut up about it.

They can choke on their money and start minding their own business.

I think it's just more difficult to get many releases of visual kei bands, so people look for them harder. That's the main problem.

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?
If it's 128kbps and listenable, I'm okay with getting such rip. Just make it listenable. It's fine if you don't want to share 320, just rip it well and nothing lower than 128.

I think I didn't reply when I didn't want to share (but it was only when the person sounded like they were demanding from me to share it), but most of the time people were polite... I haven't gotten anything rare/wanted for a while (or if I did, I just didn't talk about it, to not upset others, because it's stuff from my friends who don't want me to share), so I don't remember, anymore. Basically... when someone asks politely, don't be a dick to them. When someone wants to ask the person to share, also do it politely. The manners matter a lot.

I don't think that anyone is entitled to free music. The artists work real hard most of the time writing and producing what becomes their final product. If someone uploads a release, so be it, there's no helping it. I'll gladly try it out to see if I like it (and then maybe consider buying it, if it's really really good and/or I feel the band needs the support)... but if something isn't shared, it's no big deal, there are tons of other things to worry about in life. Same goes for bitrates: if someone only shares something in lower quality, I won't make a fuss. At least I got to listen to it in the first place!

I'm not sure if feeling entitled to free music is more prevalent in the online VK subculture but the whining sure is, heh. At least I have never witnessed this phenomena anywhere else (usually ppl either just buy the music or simply shut up because it's bound to turn up sometime). So yeah, this entitlement thingie might be abundant in VK.

And to that last question, yes, ppl have asked me to share stuff. I usually do, unless I think the request is too silly (lossless rips fall into this spectrum, tho I sometimes make exceptions). I sometimes do feel a bit sad when it's concerning a release by a very small band that is still readily available to buy otherwise, but if sufficient time passes after the release date, then why not?

No, I do not feel that. I appreciate free music and all that, but why should I get it for free when it's actually not free?

People not sharing whatever they've got is fine, but I will admit that I think this is a lame excuse. Which band do you think will get the most support if form of albums/DVDs/merch/concerts/whatever (and just let us pretend they're just as good):

A) the one that no-one have heard because the few who actually ownes it doesn't want to share it

B) the one that lots people have heard because someone decided to share their music

I'm pretty sure the one lots of people have heard will get the most support, as people have actually heard them and know what the're about.

Laaaaaame. Let peole decide for themself whatever they want to do with whatever they've paid for.

Yes, simply because I have not experiensed the same amount of bitching and whining because of it within other communities.

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

I don't think that will make people buy more stuff, and I do not think anyone's entitled to good rips. If you don't want to upload whatever in good quality, then that's very fine, but don't expect more people to buy something because of that.

Yes, I have, and if I've got the opportunity to share something I will. Doesn't matter if it is my own rip or someone else's. I'll share. The times I've not had the chance to share (because of an unstable internet) I've not gotten a reaction. They've been very cool with it.

1. Do you feel like you are entitled to free music?

Not anymore. I did when I was younger because I had no money and shit was (and is) expensive and I literally had -no- way to pay for it. It's not that I didn't want to, but I've ben a VK fan since I've been about 10 and obviously I couldn't have a job at 10. Even when I got a job, it was to pay bills like insurance, gas, and phone. That was 7 years ago, I've been through college and only just now am I going into a high salary job. So from here on out if I really, really want something I can just buy it otherwise I'm going to get the free files because it's just fiscally responsible, ya know? But no, I don't feel entitled to it.

Well.... I can appreciate and empathize with it. Because like if we're being honest, big name artists don't necessarily get hurt as much by this because people WILL buy their music. People WILL go to their shows and their record labels WILL pay them huge amounts of money for their work. But with VK artists their incomes, I'm assuming, are not vast unless you're some sort of VK icon. I mean even at that... A band can be super popular because everyone downloads their albums because they're good but no one would go to their shows or actually physically buy their music and then they'll disband and people will be like "Why? They're so popular!" Okay yeah but if no one supports them by buying music then goodbye band! Which is why I ALWAYS bought Versailles's albums and will continue to buy Hora's/Kaya's solo albums and Schwarz Stein's albums because I need to support these bands who are my favorites so I can honestly say I'm not a part of the problem...... I have always shared Hora's albums because I know they're hard to get, but honestly I appreciate the mentality of those who won't share.

Those people are dumb. I'm sorry, but you can't tell other people what to do with content that they paid for. 

Yes, but honestly it's because of the price. I mean even when I was dirt broke I could still afford to support American/British artists I like because... Idk the Evanescence album I bought in 2011 was like 13$, but the Versailles album I bought the same year was 45$ and Hora albums are typically 40$ a piece. So if Evanescence's album doesn't get uploaded and I REALLY want it, I can just go to iTunes and buy it. It's a terrible supply and demand situation.

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip?

Not the highest, but come on and make a fucking effort. It goes back to the financial aspect, a lot of people may not be able to afford this music so you're just screwing over fans who may WANT to purchase the music and support the band but it may be too costly for them.

I get approached by people somewhat frequently about it, but if I have the time I just share it. Because I would want the same done for me. I don't have a lot of time recently so I don't always oblige but people are generally pretty cool about it because I'm willing to share.

No, but it doesn't really concern me either way. I'll leech as long as I can.

I don't think anyone actually believes that not sharing affects the bands revenue in any substantial way, so anyone who uses that either just wants to feel special and important for supporting their favorite bandomens drinking and whoring or uses it as an excuse for not being arsed to share. "Who are you? Why should I share you anything" is a more acceptable response and it should end all whining right then and there. 

Kids who want feel like they belong. Undoubtedly the same people who come up with stupid names for fanbases like SIXTH GUNS!111 and then paste them everywhere. DON'T SHARE FANCLUB MATERIAL WE R HERESY SIXTH GUNS!!1111 

I haven't really seen hoarding and entitlement to the same extent anywhere else, but then again I don't listen to anything else where the demographics are even remotely similar to this. The visual kei scene is a combination of unique set of circumstance that very much enable this kind of behavior, and I don't just refer to entitlement but the hoarding, bragging and idiotic herd mentality ( SIXTH GUNS!!111 DON'T SHAER!!1 ).

Ugh. If you go through the trouble of sharing something then do it properly or don't do it at all.  

Yes, but I don't really have much to share so it's never a problem and I always oblige. I understand the begging can probably get extremely irritating for people who are known for having huge collections. 

1. Do you feel like you are entitled to free music? If you do, why? If you don't, why not? - No because at the end of the day I recognize that composers and musicians are in music to not only express their art; but to make a living as well. Whatever bit I can do to help to the groups / Composers / musicians I like, I will do. Groups I have no interest in though, I will generally sample before purchasing and if I don't like what I hear, I won't buy.

2. How do you feel about people refusing to share their music because they want to support the band? - It's their right to do so. No complaints here. If I had a problem with that, then it would be a direct contradiction to what I have written above.

3. In relation to the second question, what do you think of people who tell others not to share something they themselves paid money for as they think its content is exclusively for those who paid for it? - That they are too entitled to the business aspect of music with not enough emphasis put on the music itself. You'd think a genuine fan of a group would encourage as many people as possible to listen to their favorite bands; but in many cases with VK fans they wall off their musical tastes, "protecting" their favorite bands by trying to make everyone else conform to how they want you to consume music.

4. Do you think entitlement to free music is worse in visual kei than in other communities? - Maybe. I have never come across this sense of entitlement outside of VK to this degree. Even in Classical, where there is a greater importance of album sales and performance than in VK, the sharing is widespread and not necessarily frowned upon. At the same time though, it's generally looked down upon if you don't at least contribute something whether it's buying an album or attending a performance when you can.

5. How do you feel about people who deliberately share releases in low bitrates to encourage you to buy the CD?  Do you think that if someone does decide to share, you're entitled to the highest rip? - They're a waste of time. If something is a low bitrate making instruments inaudible then I wasted time and need to move onto the next rip to judge whether I want to make a purchase or not. And it's not that I'm entitled to a high quality rip; but for the sake of assessing a product accurately I prefer it.

6. Have you ever been approached by people, either on Monochrome Heaven or last.fm, who wanted you to share something? If you didn't want to share, how did they react? What did you think of their reaction? - Maybe once or twice. In the event that I had the release in question, I was willing to help out. There have been other times when I have volunteered to rip DVDs for people. To my knowledge, my rip of the 2008 Rose Trims Again show by Dir en grey is still floating around.

No. If you decide to share something, it's great. But if you keep rubbing a rarez in my face and decide not to share it, then I'll probably feel like punching you. 

I think it's bullshit. If no one shares their music, others will never find out about those bands. I used to leech for many years but when I finally got the funds to buy CDs, I did. I wouldn't have any CDs if someone didn't share their music in the first place.

And for example if Kles didn't share アルルカン's Eclipse in January, I wouldn't have hoarded all their CDs afterwards. Of course most people who downloaded that single didn't actually buy it afterwards, but if even one of them bought that single after first downloading it, I think it's a win-win for everybody. After downloading their 1st & 2nd single I've spent 23 580 yens (~171€) on their releases (of which CDs worth of 20 000 yens were purchased new and CDs worth of 3580 yens second-hand). And that's exactly the reason why I share my stuff - so that the band would get more fans and if even one of those buy something, I feel like I've accomplished something very important.

As others have said it before me, I think it's bullshit.

People in the VK community are used to downloading everything for free because most CDs are very hard to get and they cost you a fortune, so I think it might be worse in the VK community.

If the rip is bad, I wouldn't really feel like listening to it at all and probably wouldn't listen to it enough to really like it. As long as the rip is listenable, I won't complain.
I kinda understand the thought behind sharing only low quality rips, but bad rips might also repel some potential fans.

Yes I have, because people wouldn't approach me if they could find it elsewhere. I always share when someone asks nicely about it, because I'd like people to share their releases if I ask them to. I really expect others to do nice things (=upload something they own) to me if I have done something nice to them (=uploaded something I own). I'm not sure if that makes me an asshole but I think it's pretty obnoxious and hypocritical if you download every single rarez you have but never share your own rarez.

Btw I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I've noticed that those people who themselves don't own any CDs always kind of expect you to upload something. They ask things very rudely and don't even think about the possibility that I might actually say no.

EDIT// Just a few thoughts that occurred to me after I finished this post.

The most important reason I share a lot of my stuff is because I feel I'm in a forever lasting debt to people who decided to share their stuff when I was just getting into VK. Without those people I would've never found out about VK, and I want to do the same favor to other people as well. I remember the joy I felt back in 2009 when someone had uploaded Lycaon's Cordyceps sinensis, Declaration of war and Box in a beautiful. If I could, I would have drowned those uploaders in hugs and kisses. I just can't believe the mentality of those people who find out about this genre through illegal downloads, but then never share their own stuff. Sharing is caring <3

Edited by paradoxal

I don't think anyone is entitled to getting free music. We're lucky there are people around that share the stuff they've bought and that's how we can end up learning more about a certain genre or scene, but if no one's sharing anything, none of us has the right to go and claim that we "need to get it". I admit that I download a lot of stuff, obviously as I am here and have been for years, but just as the people sharing their albums, I don't mind to actually go and buy things when and if I can.

That's their business isn't it? No one should be forced to share something. If they only want to share with close friends, or not at all, it's their choice.

Music is there to be heard by lots of people. That's why most bands tour, isn't it? To get their music out. People who buy the albums aren't the only ones who can listen to the bands and songs. It's just that they have put in the money to buy the releases, and can decide for themselves whether or not to share things. For instance, lots of American bands in the underground scene don't even pay that much attention to physicals anymore. They know there's piracy, they've probably grown up with it, and they know that they just need to get their name out there. What else to do to get your name out than to tour around the place. In these times it's getting them loads more than the releases they're selling.

I love buying CDs, even when I hardly ever listen to the physical ones and just rip everything straight away, but I love sharing music with people just as much. Sharing music will not necessarily help the bands get more revenue as mentioned before, but there'll always be a few that will bother and will buy it in the end. Every single bit helps though, doesn't it?

From what I've seen in the past 10 years the thought of being "entitled" to releases is still very strong in VK, but has lost a lot to Kpop. Single or album is out for 2 seconds and there's hundreds of kids asking "do you have a link?" I guess for Kpop the oversaturated industry had a hand in it though, because there's so many groups coming out that it's too much for anyone to be able to afford every single thing. While in VK it's still more of a "VK is tiny." "VK is unknown." "We're doing the band a favor by spreading their stuff, even though it's illegal."

Only one comment on that and it's "If you share something, don't be half-assed about it."

I've been approached by various people about various things. I remember years ago I got an album before its release date and shared it here. I got quite a few people who'd noticed on lastfm that I'd been listening to its tracks and comments went from "you're cheating" to "you have to share it now" while there was no reason for me to even do so. I only posted it on MH back then because I wanted to share with the people who'd given me loads of things before.

Interesting thread.

Not at all, there's a reason it isn't free in the first place. I always respect and know that a musician is a musician because that's their job. They're doing it not only because they want to, but because they also want a living out of it obviously. Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised when I see others sharing their own purchased music, I am always highly grateful for that because they don't need to do that. I only ever download music without paying if it's too expensive over here or if I can't find it anywhere (and I'm sorry for that and this but I think I should explain. I usually just blame my mama for this since my money spending is very little even know and she doesn't like shipping from anywhere outside of the UK because of the high cost, she's a single mum who has trouble with money herself so I try not to spend a lot on myself) but in the future, I'll make sure to try harder with buying all music, because that's what the artists need to continue on with their dream job.

Being someone who hasn't ever put up music online (since firstly, I have no idea how, and secondly, it's mainly music everyone else already has but I'll seriously be happy to share), I don't think my opinion is that important or correct. But I also feel the same way clearly most of us feel about it. If you have a sour attitude towards others who are just asking for a listen, that's just plain rude. As some have already said, those 'elite' listeners who manage to get live distributes or limited music who act up that role are rather annoying. You don't need to act that way, and also, the word 'hypocrite,' comes to mind. Why would you not want to get one of your favourite bands more out into the open? Surely you're promoting them a lot more than just keeping it to yourself, therefor, giving less coverage and money to the band. If the question was just the first part, then I really would say, it's their own money they've spent, they should do what they like with it, but to remember to respect the band nevertheless. But honestly, I feel that way with some listeners who expect those they know who can buy the music to upload. Both sides can act badly. 

I think I've answered this in the second question. I just don't like that kind of attitude anywhere, we're all equal.

Possibly..? Actually, since everywhere apart from closer countries in Asia, it's rather hard to get a hold of the music, so some might take uploaders for granted. But before I came into VK, I had no idea about piracy (I'm just dumb). So recently, I checked out on websites that did do this, and it seems a hell lot easier to locate and get those albums from American and British artists, but about the uploaders, I'm not so sure.. But I think the attitudes in this vary like here, I'm pretty sure it's the same with every community I guess.

Personally, I'm grateful for any bitrate, I couldn't care less about this, I'm just grateful to have a listen. I didn't know that was the reason though, it's quite encouraging for someone to try to at least persuade listeners to buy the album themself if you really do like it. I don't think I'll go as far to say we're 'entitled' since they've shared, but like I keep saying, it's their money they've spent, let them do what they prefer to do to be honest.

I feel super guilty with this question... because no one has ever asked me since I have never uploaded anything in my life. But if I did, I'd be happy to do it for them, only if they're polite. Back to that second question, I think it's all about the uploader's/asker's attitudes, it's important to show that you're grateful and happy about the situation. I can think of a load of people I find remarkable for their positive way of viewing this *reads out the list of uploaders here.* As I said above, I used to be quite naive about how uploading works, but now that I understand, I'm impressed and happy about the kindess of the majority of uploaders there are.

Not really, since music isn't actually for free.

There is only one good reason for refusing and that is if you are a good friend of the band yourself. then you simply shouldn't share. Since then you simply should find a different way to promote them between your friends so that they will buy and share the freaking CD well I don't like if they share music of bands I can't share a thing. I guess it's just my own jealousy?  Kinda of "I'm not allowed to share, so nobody is!"  haha... But in the end I feel very happy if people really do like the music. However that made the REMNANT upload for me clear after the break-in from CAT5 <3

However peoplez keep in mind, if you like something then also BUY the real CD or download it legal (if possible) 100% if those small artist make it possible to buy something simple and for cheap price.
But I still think that a few of those bands, should put their music for also FREE online. Kinda to give "fans" the option, to download legal for free or to download legal/to buy as real CD to return a bit of money.

Because why would you buy it when you can grab it for free I guess?

no. its all the same.

well it encourage me to buy the real CD. if I download something in FLAC or good 320kbps. then there will be only 1% chance that I will buy the real thing.

I don't share to shit people LOL.  I don't mind to share stuff, but I can't simply share stuff from bands who are to close to me. But I don't care about the reactions of people.

interesting topic. most stuff as probably said in one way or another.. sorry in advance.

Short answer: No. I dont really have a big explanation or anything for it. Music isnt free (most of it at least), thats it.

As someone said before: While you dont have any rights to the music if you buy a cd , its still your own decision to share or not share. As for reasons behind it, imo theres no point in discussing if reasons are valid or not. Reasons for it might be stupid, but again: in regards to the first question. music is not free.

Thats just stupid. Im with hiroki on this one. Like lets say i buy something rare for  a huge amount of money and one of my friends buy it too: i would never ever say anything to that person. Everyone can decide for themselves to upload stuff or dont. One can decide for their own copy, but trying to force everyone else to do the same is just wrong.

Yes, but that just comes with the small community imo. You cant really compare it more famous genres and/or countries. Theres so many sites etc for western music and way more people that listen to it, so its just normal to get most of the stuff somewhere. Another thing is , that you just cant disregard the usual age of visual kei fans. When i started to listen to vk , mostly underage girls listened to it (at least here in germany) and lets be real: underage people dont have unlimited amount of money on hand.  People like that exist in all music genres , but if the community in total is way larger, its not that obvious when people complain about getting music for free (and most of the stuff is easily available).

No to the second question. im not entitled to anything at all. Tbh i dont really get the reasoning behind it. i dont think it matters if someone uploads something in lower or higher bitrate. if someone wants to buy it, they buy it. I cant see how someone tries something free out and then he/she is like "oh that upload is only in 128kbit/s , i guess im going to buy it". if they are buying it after listening to the download its probably like para said. you like the band , so you decide to support then. But again: its not like i can complain about it.im not entitled to request more.

I guess its not a huge suprise , but yes quite often, although its not that much recently. Its really different. Behaviour ranges from "why do you listen to this????? i didnt see it on any blogspot yet, so upload it in the next 24 hours!!!!!!!!!" to essay-like pms that they usually support the band but because of many many reasons they couldnt buy this one. 
About reactions.. Idk. I often ignore requests (especially when they are rude), but i usually reply to nice messages and most of the people dont answer again then. but i also got insults as a reply before. 

Sorry I was still upset when I wrote this, I could have probably voiced my opinions with less vulgarity.

Awww, I would've liked to see all the vulgarity. XD

No I do not! Uploaders upload their releases because they make the decision to, not because there's some law stating that a 20-something American kid NEEDS HIS R指定!! If I can't find a rip, and if nobody is willing to share what they have, then I will pay for my own copy, simple as that! However, I still think that sharing music is part of what keeps the J-rock-related randoms alive, because there are many people that cannot afford expensive CDs and to pay for expensive shipping. That does not mean that anyone who cannot afford expensive music is entitled to have it for free. It simply means that people share their awesome music out of generosity, and to spread awareness for so many amazing bands out there. Hope that made sense...

Your call, bro! As we all know, music is not free, and as I've stated, people share out of generosity. But if someone asks you for a rip of something, I don't think it's okay to give a rude response like, "NO GO FUCK YOURSELF!"

If you buy something, it's pretty much your decision what to do with it. YOU don't own my music collection, I DO! Don't tell me what to do with shit that I FUCKING PAID FOR!!

I echo paradoxal's statement. The music is a lot more expensive and high shipping charges are nearly unavoidable. Also, most of these releases are not available on iTunes, Bandcamp, etc.

I don't think I'm entitled to an ALAC rip, but I think people sharing their stuff in 128kbps to "encourage" users to buy music is stupid, and I'd be surprised if it actually worked on most people.

Before I answer that, I will say that I'm one of those people. I'll admit that I hit up a lot of people here for lossless rips of CDs, and quite a few of those people I have messaged have answered this thread. I don't ask them because of some sort of "entitlement," but because I don't think it would hurt to ask. I carefully plan out how I request something directly from one user: DO NOT BEG, and simply state "you have the right to say no."

Having said that, yes, a few people have hit me up asking me to share some stuff, and I haven't said no to anyone... yet.

*I'm going to preface this by saying that these are my personal opinions and not necessarily the opinions of RarezHut*

As pretty much everyone has said in regards to this; no I don't. I do however very much appreciate the fact that I can get free music. If it wasn't for people uploading, I(along with nearly every other foreign fan) would have never gotten to hear this music in the first place.

I think people can choose what they want to do here, since they own it. I can somewhat understand the mentality of not wanting to share, but only within reason. If someone has the latest Dir en Grey album and doesn't want to share because they want people to support the band, then so be it. However, if someone doesn't want to share a live-limited/live-distributed release that people couldn't buy in a way that would support the band for the same reasons, then I think it's kind of a dick move. I've spent plenty of years as part of the "elite circle" of VK traders enough to say that most people are only refusing for ego/e-peen reasons and it's more than a bit annoying.

Pretty stupid, honestly. Coming from someone who has a little bit of a "position of authority" among the scene from running a store, I wouldn't believe for one moment that I have any right to tell others what they can do with their music, even if it's purchased from my shop.

Probably, yeah. As others have stated, I think it's a supply & demand issue along with the general facts about the community itself. Unlike other scenes, this one literally would not exist if it wasn't for people sharing their music, so that creates a general expectation among the community in regards to sharing. There are a few weird quirks that I think only exist(at least in large amounts) among the VK community. I'm not as much into the metal community as I used to be, but people there seemed to really love sharing rare things. There are whole sites with dedicated communities for sharing incredibly rare things such as bootleg recordings, but in the VK scene, bootleg recordings(along with any incredibly limited commodity) are generally kept under lock-and-key.

My stance on this is pretty much "share what you'd want to download". If someone is sharing in 128kbps because that's what they personally rip and listen to, then so be it. However, if you're going out of your way to re-rip your CD in 64kbps specifically for uploading and never for listening to personally, then I think it's a particularly shitty thing to do. This also extends to modifying the release in some way, though I hardly see that. There has been at least one case where a member here decided to upload a DVD, but edited the video with a watermark of their username. I'm pretty sure I called them out on it for being pretty fucking stupid.

Running a store, I think my collection is a lot more visible than some other people, so I get messages about this all the time. Just due to the nature of things, I generally have to refuse, unless it's something that I didn't personally rip in which case I try to share when I can. If I can't share it, I'll generally either refuse politely or not reply at all depending on how busy I am and how it was asked. I've gotten literal death threats from anonymous people before, so I'm pretty sure those were coming from people I've refused to share with lol

Of course no one is entitled of anything, and if anyone thinks that way, that person must be a spoiled little brat does not respect someone else's work or money.

Quite naive. In my opinion, the best way to support a band is to make them well known. I NEVER buy cds without listening them first (besides xTRiPx which I always preorder, but I've only started liking this band thanks to the generous people who shared in first place), and if I think the artist deserves, I will totally buy their shit.

Childish hypocrites who totally download other shit people uploaded, but does not want to see people listening to stuff they paid for. Worst kind of people, if you ask me.

Nope. It's more visible because of the difficulty to find some releases online. Rap or Pop fans sees themselves just as entitled, but it's real easy to find what they want, so this entitlement is kind of hidden.

Does not really makes anyone buy that stuff. People only buy what they really like, specially such expensive releases, as generally in VK. It just help to spread shitty quality releases, that's all.

Nope. I always share what I have, currently lacking time to do so.

I won't answer every question there. I'll just say that if something is live limited or SUPER rare and  you use the excuse of "Ohh i won't share because i support the band.." or whatever then you are stupid. If there is no way to purchase the release and it doesn't hurt the band in anyway then i don't see the issue with sharing. Yes it's still your decision whether or not you will share but if you're going to hoard then don't rub it in people's face. 

I do feel that if you respect the community here and know of a great release that isn't easily accessible then it's encouraged to share it. You are not OBLIGATED but it's encouraged. I think i speak for everyone when i say that. Part of keeping the vk fandom alive outside of japan is sharing music and uploading their videos on youtube and things like this. I think it's very important to salvage the history of the music of japan. Too often music isn't shared enough and it's lost forever. There's so many great bands that are unavailable or taken down and it's kind of sad. Although I think part of this is the fault of youtube and other sharing sites. 

If you want to SUPPORT a band especially one that is disbanded the best way to do that is to share their work. 

Not FREE music per se, but digital music.  It pisses me off that the industry has not 100% gotten behind digital music and Japan keeps people outside the country from buying it. I don't want to jump through a bunch of damn hoops just to PAY for music I want to download.  Main reason I download, because these idiots won't make their music available for me to purchase. Their loss. *le shrug*

It sounds self-righteous tbh.  Personally I share music, if it's not already in a million places, so that other people will get to listen to something I obviously like enough to go out of my way to acquire.  Not sure if your one CD that you won't share is better than exposure to hundreds that might end up in several CD purchases at the very least.  But hey, do whatever you want if it massages your ego.

Lol, I'd tell them where to stuff it.  If I want to share it, I will.  You can sit on your precious CD all you want, but you won't tell me what to do with mine.

I guess it's the fandom I've been in the longest, so yes, definitely.  They all say they're not entitled, yet they bitch and whine when things aren't shared to their standards.  So what I think they think they're entitled to is a certain template for free music to be shared in.  If you complain about the format of free music, you're entitled, period.

Again, self-righteous.  Slacktivist attitude, thinking that you can do something so simple and lame and it will change people's opinions or actions.  If people aren't gonna buy it, they aren't gonna buy it.  I won't personally complain, because complaining about free music is stupid, but I won't buy it either.  I have more important things to worry about than whether I have music in 128 or 320.  And for me personally, I'm not going to specially rip a 128 to share when I'd need to rip a 320 for my own library.  Extra work for no reason.

Yes, I usually just ignore them.  They can react however, I don't give a crap.  Most of the time it's probably not that I don't want to share, but that I don't have the time or whatever to go through all the zipping and uploading crap.

Additional thing about credit.  I don't care about that either.  Biggest reason I uploaded Hilcrhyme's FIVE ZERO ONE on JPS was because there was a huge-ass bounty on it lol.  Don't care that it showed up on aichuun the next day and my handle wasn't attached to it.  Internet kudos are for losers.

In conclusion, people who have too much time for fandom on the Internet inevitably complain like their petty concerns are actually important.  Just share and listen to the music and shut up. :)

I am not sure. I just think music exists to be heard, whether or not someone pays for it nowadays. It is impossible to avoid free music on the internet, anyway. Even if it were to become 'illegal' (it is already is illegal to share files on the internet in many countries, yet nobody gives a crap), then people will find a way regardless. It's just that in the Visual Kei business, regardless of how many releases are sold, most bands won't really profit from it anyway. I don't think music should be withheld from anyone who wants to listen to it because we as western Japanese music lovers are often not really prioritized; from a lot of bands it is impossible to obtain any form of physical release yet they demand that as much of their music as possible is to be spread among a fanbase, what can they expect, really.

I don't mind it when people refuse to share their music, but what really bothers me is when people blatantly ignore me when I kindly as if they perhaps can share a certain release. On last.fm and Twitter it has happened to me dozens of times, and also people I know here on Monochrome Heaven have refused to speak a word to me simply because I asked if they could share a certain release, but I'm not naming people. I ask nicely, and get no response whereas these people are basically online and active on their social media 24/7. It's rude, really. Also, if you have already bought the music then you are already supporting the band, aren't you?

I respect their wishes, frankly I do not quite care whether or not someone other than myself hears a release or not. But if they ask, I shall at least explain to them as of why I wouldn't be sharing it because I received the music from another person, instead of ignoring them.

Yes, definitely so. The Visual Kei scene is the worst music scene I have been a fan of regarding the actual fanbase. People are rude, disrespectful, mean, often really unstable and depressed, think only of themselves, scream for attention for whatever reasons by glorifying self-harm and suicide and whatnot and all of this can be applied to the way of entitlement people think they have over music in this scene. It often really disgusts me to see a fanbase ruin a scene this badly. I rather enjoy the music on my own than with other people in this case. 

It's sad for people who are overly sensitive to sound because honestly I cannot hear the difference between a low bitrate or Youtube rip and a 320kbps rip, or FLAC. I just rip my own files in 320kbps because people would ask for this, but for myself it doesn't matter at all.

I have been approached by people who wished me to share certain releases, and I almost always responded positively as I have no problems with sharing releases in a normal mp3/360kbps format.