Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

ohhhh dude

http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-will-let-you-play-a-1782305546

You can create a female character in the new South Park!! HYPE!

It didn't bother me much in Stick of Truth, because they basically had cross-dressing options, so I just pretended I was a girl pretending to be a boy dressed as a girl. But for this game, it sounds like characters will react to you differently based on your gender. That could be cool! OR that could be supremely offensive to me but I will probably love it! Might do two playthroughs if the game is great.. one as a boy, one as a girl.

2 minutes ago, peffy said:

so I just pretended I was a girl pretending to be a boy dressed as a girl.

das hot.

Good news all around!

Edited by YuyoDrift

Okay so now that E3 is over and done. I would like to take the time to highlight some of the games that might not have gotten as much attention as some others, basically my top 10 overlooked games of E3! These are just different games that got me excited this year, but might not have gotten as much exposure as the bigger titles.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a little game from a small team called Warhorse Studios in the Czech Republic, comprised of veteran game designers in the industry and founded by Mafia Creator Dan Vávra. Okay so this is basically a medieval simulator being created with a focus on realism and historically correct events and mechanics. Quite honestly one of the most surprising games to come out of E3 for me, in the sense that I can't believe I haven't heard of it til last week. The whole Idea for this game is so compelling and right up my alley, they've definitely got my attention.

Spoiler

Let It Die

2572181-004.jpg

Finally it's that time again, when we can finally get a look at the latest game from Goichi Suda AKA Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture. Once again Suda has presented us with something that is wholly unique and just what we'd expect from him in Let It Die and it's gore-y goodness and weird art and character design, of course with a side of vagueness when it comes o the story and plot :) I'm a big Suda 51 fan and I didn't even really know what he was working on recently, so I was quite surprised when I saw him showcasing this game at E3 and even more surprised to hear that this is a collaboration project with Gungho Online and a free to play game as well! Sounds like this could have the makings of something awesome, I'm most interested in hearing more about the online features, but we won;t have to wait to long for this info since the game is also coming out this year!

Spoiler

Aragami

Aragami.jpg

This next game is something that has me really excited and I can't wait to play it. Aragami is a stealth/action adventure game that is best described as a supernatural Tenchu. It is being developed by Spanish game developer Lince Works and takes inspirations from Dishonored (super natural powers & stealth), Tenchu (stealth & punishing difficulty), and Metal Gear Solid (enemy A.I.). This here was enough to get me on board but then I saw the beautiful art style and aesthetic and instantly became enthralled. Game play is choice, meaning you can choose to go stealth or head on, it's up to you . The game incorporates Shadow (you) vs. Light (enemies) which I think is pretty cool.

Spoiler

Vampyr

Vampyr-ps4-1.jpg

Now this one is quite interesting and I have some pretty high hopes for this game after what I saw last week. Vampyr is a semi open world third person action RPG that takes place in 1918 London right after WW1 and the setting is based on the 1918 London Spanish flu pandemic. You play as Jonathan E. Reid, a doctor who has recently became a vampire and is struggling between his human conscience and medical upbringing to save people and his newly acquired vampire instincts and urges that compel him to kill innocent people. From what I've seen there are some pretty cool vampiric powers that can be acquired for use in battle and out of battle which leads me to believe that this game will have some pretty cool moral options for where you can take the story. Also it was stated that there will be a sort of detective aspect where you'll have to gather info on certain people throughout the game to decide whether you spare them or eat them. Overall this game looks really promising in my opinion.

Spoiler

Gravity Rush 2

023369.jpg

How could I not talk about this game? I mean come on xD This sequel to the 2012 vita launch game and beloved cult classic among fans. This time around the game is being released on the PS4 and oh boy the advantages of the added horsepower is ridiculous. This game is for reals one of the best looking games I've seen on the system art wise and it's like night and day between this and the remaster version of the first game. You return as Kat from the first game and this is supposed to be a direct continuation for the end of the first game and also that not a lot of time has passed between the two. One thing I'm most excited is the gravity powers, while being very awesome in the first game there were times when it was a bit clunky and awkward, but from what I've seen so far it looks like they've been totally polished and work flawlessly.  The new setting also excites me and has me interested to explore this colorful open world especially with the awesome world traversal mechanic this series is known for. Also the new powers look sick, I don't really know to much about what's going on in the story because I had to stop myself from spoiling in some of the longer showcases.

Spoiler

I'll post the second half of this in a day or two when I get some more time :D in the meantime I hope I've been able to introduce some new games that might have flew over your head last week.

So for those of you who backed Igarashi's Bloodstained, did you get the steam code to try out a demo?

I don't have a steam account :(

Looks like I'll be visiting my Niece and Nephews today lol

Suda should stick to the creative direction of his works, and let the technical department to other companies... His works are always really interesting, always with their own identity and style, filled with nice ideas but atrocious gameplay. I couldn't even go past the beginning of Killer is Dead, with that disgusting PC port. bugs everywhere. Even my favorite of his games, Shadows of the Damned had it's own share of clunkiness, but at least was playable... 2016 and his works still feel so low budget, when other indie companies out there are killing it... go figure

Thanks @Original Saku for showcasing Aragami, this is the first time I've heard of it. I love the way it looks, and the music is pretty nice too. My concern is that I'm not super into "stealth" games.. the most stealth I've played is Assassin's Creed, and those games are usually really forgiving and just let me murder everybody easily if I fuck it up. I don't think I have enough patience for "stealth" but .. definitely will keep an eye on Aragami.

Also will be considering Vampyr. I really loved Life is Strange, and although this is a totally different type of game, I've loved vampires since the days when I watched Buffy...( holy shit, that was almost 20 years ago... o_o ) ... ( but don't mistake me for Twilight fan, blegh )  I really hope Dontnod pulls it off. .. I wonder if eating EVERYBODY is an option. hehe.

As for Gravity Rush 2... I got the first game on Vita thanks to PS+ .. one day I will actually try it out... one day.................

Played the Demo for Bloodstained with my nephew this weekend, since he has a steam account, and Uncle Yuyo has been accused of not loving his sister's kids lol.

It was only like a 30min preview, but so far :

The graphics are 7/10. 3D side-scrollers have always been hit or miss, but their use of Unreal Engine 4 is there to impress. Still lacking from an unfinished product, I can see the potential, so the rating will change over time.

The UI in-game is quite impressive. The menu showcases her different types of equipment, each with a damage/resistance/agility stat increase/decrease, that you can strategically alter yourself.

The controls (used an Xbox One controller since it was a Steam code, meh) felt and operated exactly like the old Castlevania games, with a few new commands added in. Button inputs felt a little too sensitive for my taste and so some inputs would accidentally trigger when I didn't want them to, for example, Miriam's crouch would be triggered when I was trying to use her sword/kick. Most of time though, the controls worked as intended.

One little thing that bothered me was the game speed. Maybe I've grown impatient over the years, but for a character to only able to walk, well.........FML lol. They have to add a run mechanic, or I'll go mad.

With that being said, it was just like Symphony of the Night. I was more concerned that my nephew would grow bored playing this, since he is part of Gen Z, and nothing impresses them apparently, but to my surprise he was enjoying it and was asking when we could place a preorder lol.

Success.

I can't wait for Resident Evil 7. I haven't really had any reason to get a next generation console but now I have. And I want to try playing VR games too.

So there's been a big leak about Nintendo NX 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

So it's not REALLY a home console, it's a portable with the ability to hook up to a TV. This means hardware limitations, which I suppose indicates that they are once again not going to care much about third-party support or having the same AAA games as PS4/XB1.. ?

Which is fine, if they want to focus on their core audience that is way into Nintendo's IPs & 3DS exclusives, which I presume would continue being exclusive to NX.

(I was never going to buy an NX anyway, just posting this for information/discussion)

Sounds very interesting. Color me intrigued. I will most likely get one if it's gonna be the replacement to the 3DS, as I love handheld gaming. If it's not and more of it's own thing then I'll just have to see how it turns out I suppose.

I am very interested in the whole docking procedure and if it'll will include the cloud computing that was previously rumored to make the home experience more of a... well home experience xD I do find it quite interesting, before everybody had it pegged as a home console that had the ability to be taken on the go as a mobile handheld, but now with this news it seems that's not true and it's the exact opposite. A Mobile handheld that can become a home console... So they are in fact focusing on making it a better handheld than a home console perhaps?

I can see this being really a low blow to a lot of Nintendo fans, as I know from experience a lot people don't care about handheld gaming and even though it will have the ability to be used as a home console on your tv, I can't help but to think a lot of people are gonna pissed off if that home experience is not a good as the handheld on or for instance if it's not as good as some other home experiences such as PS4 and X1. Which brings me to my no.1 concern and that is gonna be graphics. This thing is gonna have a Tegra in it which will by far make it the best and most powerful handheld system on the market without a doubt, but will it be able to compete with the PS4 and X1. I can see it now, the backlash if this system comes out and it's not better looking than consoles that came out 4 years ago.... people are gonna have a shit fit and overall it will be bad for Nintendo and will probably kill third party support.

Best thing they have going for them after this news, is that they are basically combining their handheld and home market together, which will effectively boost their catalog and the amount of games coming out for this thing. The idea of this is also what I consider the most exciting of this news. and alone this could be enough for them to grab a lot of third party developers who are interested in making handheld experiences that can also be enjoyed on the TV and vice versa.

This is all based on rumors and unofficially confirmed sources so we'll just have to see. but If this is all true it will definitely be interesting to see it all pan out.

EDIT; also fuck yeah to the return of cartridges and Android OS! This thing could be ridiculous if the modding/hacking community can crack it open, and then we can do all sorts of cool stuff since android is technically open sourced.

Edited by Original Saku

1 hour ago, Original Saku said:

Android OS!

But the Eurogamer article says

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

so, it sounds like you won't get your easily-modded OS future... (unless this particular source is wrong)

2 hours ago, Original Saku said:

will it be able to compete with the PS4 and X1. I can see it now, the backlash if this system comes out and it's not better looking than consoles that came out 4 years ago

Yeah, it seems unlikely a Tegra can produce graphics comparable to PS4/XB1. As I understand it, Tegra chips are designed for mobile devices, which means balancing pure power with conserving battery life. And the current Tegra is, apparently, 1/3 as powerful as the PS4. But yeah, it is possible that the "dock" will provide extra graphical power.

In any case, it would make sense if Nintendo just continued doing what it ended up doing in this gen.. forgoing the AAA third-party console space almost entirely, and just relying on their first-party/exclusive games. As the Wii U has proven, they can still make amazing-looking, high quality games without the raw power of the other consoles. As for the portable side, the Vita is 5 years old and, sadly, a non-factor, so Nintendo only has to compete with smartphones... then again, they have Pokemon Go and whatever other future mobile games, so they're not really...competing...

I don't think they will go the same route they've been going. I definitely believe that they want to change the third party support for the consoles. Now whether they will be able to capture the third party developers is a whole different matter. But they have to know by no that what they've been doing is not working.

Yeah I think the dock for the machine will definitely add more power to the device, I think that this might be where the cloud computing from earlier rumors might come into play. Or maybe it will have a totally separate graphics processor just for the home side of things.

But until Nintendo themselves announce all this themselves I'm just gonna treat most of this as just pure speculation.

Ah well, most opinions I've heard seem to match what I'm thinking re: competing directly with PS4/XB1. They're not making a dedicated home console. It looks like they're banking on their domination of the handheld market by making a device that is, first and foremost, a handheld, and including the dock as a way of letting people play on their TVs if they want to. The biggest benefit of the NX is that Nintendo no longer has to split their games between two systems.

Even if the dock provides more power, there is a huge issue with getting console games ported to the NX - the added complexity of programming games to run on NX's probably-underpowered non-x86 handheld, and then having to code them to take advantage of the dock's power so they run better. From a developer standpoint, it doesn't look like work that's worth doing... Some of them were already complaining about having to accommodate Neo & Scorpio, which is theoretically way easier than coding for NX.

However, I can see a future where a lot of Japanese devs support PS4 and NX, leaving out XB1 entirely... or maybe even just going full NX. The 3DS has so many monster exclusive IPs that would probably show up as NX exclusives. Nintendo can rest easy by relying on those games without ever worrying about getting the latest GTA, COD, FF etc etc.

Anyway, yes, all based on rumours (although these are pretty credible rumours). But, interesting to think about.

I have World of FF pre-ordered, but I still think the not-chibi-but-not-quite-realistically-proportioned main characters are creepy as shit.

Dude I really want to get World of Final Fantasy, it looks cute as fuck and seems like a good time sink for FF fans and possibly a replacement for people who aren't into XV, but it comes out the same day as The Last Guardian.... :( man that's such a bummer.

yeah it's unreal how may games are coming out in the Sept.-Nov. time frame that I'm gonna be getting.

Destiny: Lords of Iron

Dragon Quest VII

Final Fantasy XV

Mafia 3

Battlefield 1

The Last Guardian

Dishonored 2

and those are just the ones that I've definitely decided on getting, there's still grey area games like Titan Fall 2 and Watchdogs 2 that I want to play as well but are on the fence about... too much :lol:

My upcoming MUST-PLAY game schedule for the rest of the year

Aug 18 - Tales of Berseria (depending on impressions, might wait for price drop or English release)

Aug 30 - Project Diva X (wait for price drop?)

Sep 30 - FF 15 (pre-ordered, will play ASAP)

Oct 11 - Dragon Quest Builders (will wait for price drop)

Oct 25 - World of FF (pre-ordered, might cancel and wait for price drop)

Dec 6 - South Park (pre-ordered, will play ASAP)

Dec 8 - Yakuza 6 (tempting, but I need extended breaks between Yakuza games and I still have to play Kiwami...)

in between all of that, there's my massive backlog staring at me and making me feel guilty

why did you buy us if you won't play us

why

^^

lulz

My games the rest of this year

Aug 23 - KoF XIV (I hope I get it as a Bday gift!)

Aug 30 - God Eater 2: Rage Burst

Sep 16 - Valkyrie Drive

Sep 20 - Destiny: Rise of Iron

Sep 30 - Final Fantasy XV

Oct 11 - Rise of the Tomb Raider

Oct 25 - World of Final Fantasy

Oct 28 - Titanfall 2 (Most likely gonna wait for a price drop on this)

Dec 6 - South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Dec 6 - Dead Rising 4

Gonna try and finish until then

Witcher 3

Need for Speed

Killzone: Shadowfall

Persona 4 Golden

FF Type 0

Mighty No. 9

Danganropa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Ok ok. I didn't know where to place this but I thought this would be great place.

I'm sure you guys have already seen this, as every YouTube gamer has a review of it.

This is insane for one man to create. I'm lost for words.

I would PLAY THE FUCK OUT OF THIS lol

Your thoughts?

^ HOT DAMN. I haven't even discovered it on my own (but the guy looks familiar. I probably did stumble on it, thinking it was FFXV, lol), thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep an eye on that. Looks bloody amazing. Props to the creator, I'm super jealous he can create such brilliance. ;-; Hope to see more of it!

The only other recent big thing I've been hearing a lot about is We Happy Few. Supposedly, you can finish it in two minutes. I've never heard of such a thing in a game before, please enlighten me if I've missed out on anything, but this seems to have picked up quite nicely on YouTube from what I've seen. 

Not usually one to like the first person playstyle, but I must admit, this has my attention.

8 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Ok ok. I didn't know where to place this but I thought this would be great place.

I'm sure you guys have already seen this, as every YouTube gamer has a review of it.

This is insane for one man to create. I'm lost for words.

I would PLAY THE FUCK OUT OF THIS lol

Your thoughts?

Yeah this looks wonderful, reminds me of a open world Devil May Cry with some FF character inspiration. Good stuff.

Just goes to show what you can accomplish by applying yourself and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, oh and a good engine to work with :)

This guy obviously has skills and knows the ins and outs of game development, but I've seen a lot of people praising him for being able to make a "full game" in only 2 years when it takes teams of 200 people or more way longer to make games that look not as good.... I just want to clarify the game is not complete, nowhere near in fact. It took him 2 years to make this trailer. It would take one person a sizeable chunk of their life to make a game of this scale to completion, lets say something akin to the size of the upcoming FFXV would take one person a decade or more to do on their own. I just wanted to point that out because lot's of people who have only seen the trailer and not properly dug deeper are under this strange assumption that this guys is putting game companies around the world to shame or some shit xD.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room, will this game be completed in a timely manner? who knows? maybe. maybe not. I can only speculate that the goal of this trailer is to get the word out with the intentions to start a kick starter or a publisher to take the reigns and fund it along with a team to work on it.

9 minutes ago, beni said:

^ HOT DAMN. I haven't even discovered it on my own (but the guy looks familiar. I probably did stumble on it, thinking it was FFXV, lol), thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep an eye on that. Looks bloody amazing. Props to the creator, I'm super jealous he can create such brilliance. ;-; Hope to see more of it!

The only other recent big thing I've been hearing a lot about is We Happy Few. Supposedly, you can finish it in two minutes. I've never heard of such a thing in a game before, please enlighten me if I've missed out on anything, but this seems to have picked up quite nicely on YouTube from what I've seen. 

Not usually one to like the first person playstyle, but I must admit, this has my attention.

We Happy Few looks balls to the wall insane and it's definitely on a lot of peoples radars after it's great showing at E3 this year.