Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

51 minutes ago, Gaz said:

eh, from all i've seen so far only excited a little about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. #new games suck 

bloodstained does look really good I give you that :D

Here's the new Berseria trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKKW2g1gP0

I'm really digging the tone of this trailer, I hope this is gonna be good... we really need a good Tales game. Also really liking the voice acting so far, I hope Bamco finally realizes we like dual audio in our games xD

finally new NieR: Automata gameplay!

Early 2017 hype! although I have a feeling it might get delayed past that date, this game has so much potential to be amazing.

34 minutes ago, peffy said:

wait wait wait

WAIT MODE

hype restored

LOL that's cool sorta... I mean I won't use it because I like my games challenging and this just seems like a thing for casuals who aren't good at games I guess... like he says "this isn't just a way to make the game easier", but let's be real here, that's totally what it is... This thing is gonna make the game trivially easier.

on second look, I really do like this trailer... there's a lot of really cool stuff going on in there.

Edited by Original Saku

31 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

this just seems like a thing for casuals who aren't good at games

i'm sorry i'm a casual who sucks at games ........ orz

3 hours ago, peffy said:

i'm sorry i'm a casual who sucks at games ........ orz

hey I mean that's cool too, I'm just saying I'm not gonna be using it in my playthrough, although being able to precisely aim magic actually does sound useful/cool... I still think it will make the game a little too easy mode being able to freeze time at any moment, but I know not everyone thinks challenging = fun.

moving on... I know I'm not the only one hype for this

Open world Spiderman game being developed by Insomniac Games and it's totally separate universe from the upcoming movie.... Yes please! If anyone can make a good Spiderman game it will be Insomniac.

ahh this game looks better and better each time I see it, you can definitely see the difference in graphical fidelity when you compare this to the first game, I'm so excited for this. Gravity Rush is such a sleeper hit and i love it to death

Edited by Original Saku

For anyone interested here is a YouTube playlist I've made with every game trailer/reveal, gameplay demo, and interview I could find from E3 2016. It is quite a big playlist so...

I'll be adding more stuff to this playlist as the week progresses.

Reflecting on the Microsoft press conference now, it seems really weird. It was basically like this.

1) HEY GUYS! Here's a beautiful tiny white box we're calling Xbox One S!! 40% smaller than Xbox One, and cheaper!!!!!

2) Here's a bunch of games that will be available on both Xbox One AND Windows 10! No more Xbox exclusives, everything is cross-buy with W10!!

3) By the way, next year we're releasing "Scorpio", the super powerful version of Xbox One that will make games on the One & the One S look kinda like shit!

Just strange, from a marketing perspective. Here's a new version of our console, and here's the next version of the console that will blow away the version that we literally just announced, and oh by the way if you have a good PC you don't actually need to buy the consoles.

??!?

Yeah Microsoft's conference was actually a lot better than it has been in recent years, and believe it or not the Scorpio and the Neo (PS4K) are very good things for the industry as a whole just simply because we'll be getting another generation bump so soon after the last. Which means consoles get more powerful  which means developers don't have to gimp their games as much which in the long run equals better games being made. Plus Microsoft putting all their exclusive games on Windows 10 is a bold move and I respect them for that even though I don't see why they just don't use fucking Steam like everyone else does... lol

some pretty unsettling stuff for FFXV fans in the video below

Man this sounds really rough, I'm definitely feeling scared for square right now after listening to this podcast and easyallies's experience with the game over this weekend and Judges week... hopefully like they say in the podcast maybe it was just something not gelling with them at the time or just a bad build of the game.... please don't let this be a bad game, hell I'll take just a good game... it doesn't have to be amazing just let it not be horrible.

43 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Yeah Microsoft's conference was actually a lot better than it has been in recent years, and believe it or not the Scorpio and the Neo (PS4K) are very good things for the industry as a whole just simply because we'll be getting another generation bump so soon after the last. Which means consoles get more powerful  which means developers don't have to gimp their games as much which in the long run equals better games being made. Plus Microsoft putting all their exclusive games on Windows 10 is a bold move and I respect them for that even though I don't see why they just don't use fucking Steam like everyone else does... lol

I'd be pretty hard-pressed to call this a generation bump though. Unless they start doing Scorpio/Neo-exclusive games, then devs are still having to make games with the original consoles in mind. That means games would be gimped just as much, but will just have quality settings to look prettier, I guess. The way I see it is pretty much the same as the 3DS vs N3DS. There might be a few things specifically made to show off the additional power, but it'll probably end up not being quite the game-changer that they're being hyped as.

9 minutes ago, Biopanda said:

I'd be pretty hard-pressed to call this a generation bump though. Unless they start doing Scorpio/Neo-exclusive games, then devs are still having to make games with the original consoles in mind. That means games would be gimped just as much, but will just have quality settings to look prettier, I guess. The way I see it is pretty much the same as the 3DS vs N3DS. There might be a few things specifically made to show off the additional power, but it'll probably end up not being quite the game-changer that they're being hyped as.

yes you are correct, it won't be nearly as great as an actual generation bump since they aren't leaving the old hardware behind and that will affect the things that developers can't do mechanic wise, but graphic wise it will be virtually the same as a new generation iteration. We won't nearly see as many graphically gimped games as we have been seeing especially in PC games. Now we don't really know how they are going to be handling these games and how they will make them work on both the old and new hardware, so there's still a chance that they will be able to do more stuff mechanic wise with the newer hardware while having the different version for older hardware just without the new mechanics.... but yeah now that I think about that it doesn't sound very feasible though xD Regardless still a very good thing for the industry.

Guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I feel like this could possibly set a rather bad precedent for console gaming. For the most part, I don't think it'd matter a whole lot since it's just better graphics, except in the case of multiplayer games. By introducing newer, better hardware, you're suddenly shifting the playing field for multiplayer games. Especially for games which require twitch reflexes, having hardware that would result in smoother gameplay at a higher framerate without the slowdown issues that are bound to happen when devs are now optimizing for two sets of hardware, suddenly gives an edge to players who have the money to shell out for the best hardware.  This is still kind of an edge case anyways, but I guess it's just why someone like myself(who has a very limited budget when it comes to gaming) tends to prefer consoles. I can spend the money once and then not have to worry about it for 4-5 years when the next generation comes out.

That's actually a very great point that I didn't think of, multiplayer games will definitely be an issue, I'm interested to see how they will handle it. Personally none of that matters to me, I'm primarily a PC gamer, I own consoles for exclusives but I don't usually play multiplayer games on console because they just aren't very good for that due to performance etc. and the multiplayer games I do play on consoles aren't ones that I play competitively but more ones i play with friends for fun so....  I have no reason to buy these upgraded consoles because I have a PC that is still gonna outperform them and better graphics in exclusives is not a justified reason to shell out the money. So really I guess when it comes down to it and how you look at it, this is mainly a good thing for PC gamers since better graphics on consoles mean less graphic downgrades for us.

Nice to see a new area finally, looks pretty awesome

man this shit is nuts, looks fun as hell. airships fuck yeah!

Edited by Original Saku

15 minutes ago, Mind of the sun said:

Kojima's new game Death Stranding has all my hype.

For anyone interested in this and clamoring for more info, here's the interview with Kojima himself after the sony conference.

3 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Microsoft putting all their exclusive games on Windows 10 is a bold move and I respect them for that even though I don't see why they just don't use fucking Steam like everyone else does... lol

The simple answer is, Microsoft makes more money if you buy the games from a store they own. If the game was sold on Steam, Valve would take that portion of revenue.

3 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Man this sounds really rough, I'm definitely feeling scared for square right now after listening to this podcast and easyallies's experience with the game over this weekend and Judges week.

I have seen people from other gaming outlets say positive things, as well as mixed/negative things, about their time playing FF15. I'm not too worried, I expected this mixed reaction, and I will probably have a mixed reaction myself.

IGN:

... the first two chapters never feel like a derivative work, with the core story and presentation leaning on the type of strong characterization and blockbuster graphics that have come to define Final Fantasy. You could almost picture director Hajime Tabata and his team spending the last few years playing other games and saying, “Hey, wouldn’t this be a great idea to put in Final Fantasy?” And, somehow, the unique sauce blends multiple flavors into a cohesive and ambitious vision of a modern RPG.

Destructoid:

All told, the preview session convinced me I'll want to dig into the final version which, as a non-fan, is a big deal. They finally did it. But there are two things I'm anxious about: whether or not consoles will be able to handle running Final Fantasy XV reasonably well, and what the open-world design will feel like after, say, 25 hours (will it become a slog?). We probably won't know until September.

Ars Technica:

This sense of scale—of monsters and familiars alike becoming part of the game's sprawling environments—left me feeling the same way I felt the first time I saw Final Fantasy VI's "Mode 7" effects spin a giant new world in front of me on the Super Nintendo. There may be quirks, bugs, and an uneven battle system, but there will also certainly be an enormous, lore- and monster-loaded world in Final Fantasy XV whenever it launches. As an admitted Final Fantasy hater in recent years, I am shocked at how much I anticipate grappling with the best and worst of FFXV.

2 hours ago, peffy said:

The simple answer is, Microsoft makes more money if you buy the games from a store they own. If the game was sold on Steam, Valve would take that portion of revenue.

Yes true but you also have to think not everyone has Windows 10 nor wants it (like me). I think the amount of money they would make from steam from people on older OS would offset the cut that valve takes honestly.

2 hours ago, peffy said:

I have seen people from other gaming outlets say positive things, as well as mixed/negative things, about their time playing FF15. I'm not too worried, I expected this mixed reaction, and I will probably have a mixed reaction myself.

Yeah and I understand that. Mainly the reason why this worries me the most is because I actually really respect EasyA and in particular I trust Bern Moore and Michael Damiani's views and opinions on games, especially Final Fantasy. I hope it was just a bad build that they played.

Okay I just need to take a second and just say how much I appreciate Nintendo bringing this game over here, I'm so happy for this DQ love!

Edited by Original Saku

3 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Yes true but you also have to think not everyone has Windows 10 nor wants it (like me). I think the amount of money they would make from steam from people on older OS would offset the cut that valve takes honestly.

It's probably also part of Microsoft's wider push to make the whole world upgrade to Windows 10. 

It's like how Nintendo refuses to put their games on other platforms. "You wanna play Mario Kart 8? Too bad, give us money for a Wii U." Never mind that they could potentially sell millions more copies if they went multi-platform.

Yeah, pretty smart play by Ubisoft to fill that gap. It looks very nice.

I was horrified and delighted at the same time when they showed people crashing...

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

.....................................................fuck.

http://kotaku.com/the-mighty-no-9-kickstarter-release-got-messy-1782334573

geez this is such a mess, and to make matters worse I've also been hearing reports that the Wii U version of the game has been bricking Wii U's....