Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

Frogwares's gonna release another Sherlock Holmes game on 27th of May and while it's not a huge release title, I'm still super excited and convinced my hubby to both buy it and play it with me, as I am a sucker for detective games, and Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes series is one of the best in that category. Although I'm having trouble figuring out how to order the physical copy, but... I guess I'll find out when it's released.

(They're also talking about an open world-investigation-Lovecraftian horror game, which is supa supa exhilarating.)

I just want FF XV. The more info they release on it, the better it sounds. I love the world they've created and can't wait to see what other summons will be in the game (Pls god, let a 50meter tall Ifrit be in the game)

Also the new Nier game and  No man's Sky. I'm looking forward to more FF VII REMAKE information as well, seeing all the butthurt fanboys is literally my favourite hobby and the more info released the more the butthurt intensifies. Please, carry on Squeenix. 

I skimmed through that P5 gameplay video.. my first time seeing any P5 gameplay.

Holy hell, that UI looks like a mess. Like the text for an action looking like "CHanCE!" with both black & white letters.. eh... looks way too busy, but I applaud them for making it look unique..

Also, it's interesting to see some Catherine-like platforming, haha.

3 hours ago, peffy said:

I skimmed through that P5 gameplay video.. my first time seeing any P5 gameplay.

Holy hell, that UI looks like a mess. Like the text for an action looking like "CHanCE!" with both black & white letters.. eh... looks way too busy, but I applaud them for making it look unique..

Also, it's interesting to see some Catherine-like platforming, haha.

I think it looks pretty good myself, it matches the aesthetic that they have going for the game and honestly this is Persona, they don't really do things by the book like you'd expect from other big franchises (FF, DQ, ect.) If you go back and look at P3 & P4 UI you'll also see some of that same chaotic nature a bit in those games, but it seems this time around they went full in with it since the game itself this time around seems a lot more over the top and in your face then past games. Regardless we'll just have to see when we play it how awesome/annoying the UI is :D

Also I called it, Persona will be competing with FFXV in the same release window... well at least in Japan, although I assume the western release won't be more than a month or two after Japanese release... I hope xD they did a good job of waiting to announce their date until after FF announced theirs. I'm gonna take a bet and say that a lot of the people who are upset over XV's action oriented turn baseless game play will be getting P5 instead.

4 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Also I called it, Persona will be competing with FFXV in the same release window... 

Since you mentioned FFXV, I now remember how boring that game's UI looks.. especially in comparison to P5's UI. One makes me want to stab my eyes out, the other makes me want to sleep.

arom0eE.png

Ahh, those soothing white/grey/blue tones..... zzzzzz

The art style in P5 (i.e. character design) looks pretty good, it's a shame I don't like the series. I do wish FF games would stop trying to look hyper realistic and go for something more stylized like P5. ... having said that, I also wish people wouldn't compare the two series.. yeah they are both JRPGs but the "gameplay loop" is totally different. Too bad they are coming out so close to each other.

2 hours ago, peffy said:

Since you mentioned FFXV, I now remember how boring that game's UI looks.. especially in comparison to P5's UI. One makes me want to stab my eyes out, the other makes me want to sleep.

arom0eE.png

Ahh, those soothing white/grey/blue tones..... zzzzzz

The art style in P5 (i.e. character design) looks pretty good, it's a shame I don't like the series. I do wish FF games would stop trying to look hyper realistic and go for something more stylized like P5. ... having said that, I also wish people wouldn't compare the two series.. yeah they are both JRPGs but the "gameplay loop" is totally different. Too bad they are coming out so close to each other.

Yeah it's inevitable that they will be compared  since they are the two biggest JRPG franchises that are popular over here in the west. I agree that XV's UI is really boring, I feel like they tried to go for something really minimalist with it and just went a little too minimal xD

Just curious but why don't you like Persona? Bad experience? don't like turn based? turned off by the Pokemon style persona collecting? Most people that have played the series that I know always seem to enjoy it on some level.

48 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Just curious but why don't you like Persona? 

Will refer back to an earlier post I made

I would add that I was playing P4 Golden in English, which only had English voice acting, and I hated the voice acting. (To be fair, I hate almost every English-over-Japanese dub I've ever heard)

I think I was mildly amused by some scenes, but that wasn't enough to get me to finish the game.

On 3/24/2016 at 10:31 AM, peffy said:

- As it turned out, I don't really like dungeon crawling all that much, so I didn't enjoy that aspect of the games.

- I don't like time limits, so the highly structured school/social elements weren't that fun. I didn't like having to choose who to spend time with.

- The vast amount of personas to collect/fuse/upgrade etc was too much, I don't like that level of management.

- Can't say I was a big fan of any of the characters. Maybe I outgrew high school settings. I hated Chie, Teddy, Yosuke, and Nanako.

Ah so pretty much everything that put the series on the map you hate? XD lol

I can agree with the voice acting complaint, I'm a avid hater of English dubs and almost always prefer the Japanese instead, but with that said Persona has had not the worst dubbing I've seen and I would hate myself if I hadn't played them just because of that.

to each his own I suppose, but It really sounds like you are more into "traditional" RPGs, Persona is definitely not a traditional RPG it does a lot of things different from the games of old.

Holy crap..

Details have been revealed about the Witcher expansion Blood & Wine

the full list is here, it's very long http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203112526&postcount=1

This stood out for me:

Home Base:
• Geralt gets his own motherfucking vineyard.
• It’s called Corvo Bianco.
• You can renovate it with large sums of money, the option I saw was for 5000 Orens.
• You can add a greenhouse of sorts where you can grow herbs for all your witcher potion needs, an armourer’s table, a stable for Roach (with its own stat bonuses), upgrade your bed, renovated interior and exterior, secret lab, guest room.
• Guest room where old friends will come to stay. They said the names Triss and Yennefer, but were reluctant to reveal the names of anyone else who might visit. Surprise Iorveth/Saskia visit?Unlikely
• Scaffolding and workers will appear after you choose to build something. Each change takes a certain amount of in-game time to complete, but you can just meditate til everything’s done.
• Can display your armour, weapons, paintings and books.
• Some paintings can be bought, or specially made, others are obtained through quests.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude if there's one thing I ABSOLUTELY love to do in a game, it's renovating and upgrading a home base. 

oh my god.

So happy I hoarded all my money in the main game, gonna splurge on this place!

Now I feel bad that I haven't played Hearts of Stone because I was waiting for a sale. 

Also, this:

Can now dye armour. Dyes can be bought from a merchant, crafted or looted. Only obtainable in Toussaint. Pink is among the colours.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by peffy

I still have yet to even finish Pokemon X and Alpha Sapphire, and luckily I'm not that interested in getting Moon, but those starter choices for the new Pokemon games (Sun/Moon) are some of the worst Pokemon designs I have ever seen (I even love owls and that Owlett one isn't doing anything for me at all). I'm actually glad I'm growing out of the franchise after seeing this news.

The cat & owl look OK to me, but they just look like regular animals.. The water starter (seal?) is a crime against humanity. (I really really hate clowns).

They must be running out of ideas by now. I haven't played Pokemon since Gold/Silver and I already thought there were too many.

Original 151 for life!

Edited by peffy

^^

LOL

The minute I saw an Ice Cream and Chandelier Pokemon, I was done. Haha.

Pokemon really has run its course with the older gamers, I feel. We just can't keep up with them all.

26 minutes ago, peffy said:

They must be running out of ideas by now.

This happened a long time ago.

Edited by YuyoDrift

news round up time!

2nd week of May 2016

Wild Arms 3 coming to ps4

An enhanced version of Wild Arms 3 will be available digitally for PlayStation 4 next Tuesday, May 17, in North America, Sony announced this week via the latest episode of the PlayStation Blogast.

The RPG was co-created by Sony's now-defunct internal studio Contrail and Media Vision (which is currently developing Valkyria: Azure Revolution for Sega), and originally released for PS2 in 2002.

Wild Arms and Wild Arms 2 are already available via the PlayStation Store for PS3, Vita, and PSP as PSone Classics, as is the tactical PSP spin-off Wild Arms XF (which supports Vita compatibility). 

XSEED Games brought the latest two entries in the series, Wild Arms 4 and Wild Arms 5, to North America in 2006 and 2007, respectively, both a year after Sony initially published them in Japan. However, it's currently unclear if or when they will see digital re-releases of their own.

My take: Pretty awesome news for JRPG fans on the console looking for some stuff to play, not to mention Wild Arms is a really neat series that is underappreciated.

Lovecraftian horror game Call of Cthulhu screenshots

New images have emerged for Cyanide's upcoming horror game Call Of Cthulhu, inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's short story and Chaosium's pen-and-paper role-playing game of the same name.

Call of Cthulhu is a Lovecraftian horror game, where you take the role of a private investigator from 1920s Boston named Edward Pierce. You investigate an artist and their family's death on a secluded island, by exploring areas such as sinister docks and the family's manor. Cyanide is building the psychological thriller in Unreal Engine 4, and it will release in 2017 for consoles and PC.

You can view the two screenshots below.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/call_of_cthulu/b/pc/archive/2016/05/14/screenshots-emerge-for-cyanide-39-s-upcoming-horror-game-call-of-cthulhu.aspx

My  Take:  Awesome news in my opinion, Lovecraftian stories and settings have huge potential in video games and a survival horror game could be perfect for that type of premise. just look at Bloodborne, it has hella lovecraft inspirations and vibes and that game's atmosphere is so good because of it. I can just imagine a silent hill esque game but all lovecraftian and shit... sounds awesome huh?

Xbox 360 backwards compatibility support added for multi disc games

Multiple Xbox 360 disc support added to Xbox One backward compatibility

This is according to a comment made by Major Nelson on reddit who said the backwards compatibility engineers worked hard to bring the multi-disc game to Xbox One.

Microsoft said fans were asking for the feature, and its engineers listened. They “found a solution to enable” the feature which will help “further expand the titles included in Xbox One Backward Compatibility.”

Xbox 360 title Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut, which spans two discs, was made available for Xbox One earlier this week.

My Take: Good news for 360 and one owners... too bad Sony is lagging in this area, probably the only thing Microsoft is doing better right now tbh

Sony’s PS4 NEO to be released before the end of September

In the latest financials posted from Innelec Multimedia, the company said it expects “the evolution of the Sony PS4 console Neo 4K” to release during the first half of its fiscal year.

Here’s the quote: “The 2016/2017 current year should be marked for the video game world by the arrival, in the first half of our fiscal year, an evolution of the Sony PS4 PS4 console with the Neo 4K with new features and that the placing on the market in October 2016 virtual reality helmet Sony VR.”

The company’s fiscal year started on April 1 and ends on September 30. If releasing in September, the console would hit shelves just in time for the October 2016 release of PlayStation VR.

This corroborates earlier reports that the upgraded console would be out by or before October.

The console and video game distributor has since made a statement to VideoGamer (link below) claiming it has no “official information about the launch of a 4K NEO,” despite being mentioned in the financial report. Many retailers and distributors, GameStop being one example, will toss in what it expects to hit the market during investors calls or financial reports. So, again, just file this as a rumor or “report” as is always the case – for now.

Chip maker AMD said in April it had three new semi-custom system on chip (SOC) products in the works, and one of the components will be on the market during the latter half of 2016. AMD’s SOC products are typically used in game consoles.

According to various rumblings since GDC 2015, PlayStation 4.5, or project NEO as it’s known internally, will sport an improved GPU, 4K output and other updates to improve performance.

We expect Sony to host its E3 2016 press conference the Monday before everything officially kicks off on Tuesday. The firm has yet to provide information on timings, but Monday is usually the day. Hopefully, the firm will announce the console then.

My Take: I think this is a solid assessment, it would make sense that it would launch either before or with PSVR since that's gonna be the main reason to pick one up in the first place. Honestly though this whole PS4K is an unprecedented move in the industry and it could either backfire or go extremely well for Sony, only time will tell. I personally would like to see a price tag, but either way I don't know why someone would buy one of these over a PC especially if it's gonna cost upwards of 600 bucks or if you already have a regular PS4.

Overwatch beta breaks Blizzard’s records

The Overwatch beta attracted 9.7 million participants across PC, PS4 and Xbox One, Activision Blizzard has announced.

That’s a huge number; compare it with Destiny’s 4.6 million (PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) and The Division’s 6.4 million (PC, PS4 and Xbox One), both of which were record-setters of their time. It’s not a totally fair comparison as each of the three tests ran for different durations across their platforms, but still.

As you may expect, this multi-platform test has smashed Blizzard’s internal records, too. With huge properties under its belt, the publisher must be pretty chuffed to have out-performed itself.

Testers managed to put in over 4.9 billion minutes over the course of 37 million matches. That’s a whopping 3.3 million days, or over 9,000 years. On average, each player spent about 8.4 hours with the beta – which is about the same value as some people get from a full release. Bloody hell.

“We’re thrilled that such an incredible number of players from around the globe got a chance to check out Overwatch during the Open Beta,” Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said.

“Our mission was to make sure as many console and PC gamers as possible could experience the full game ahead of its launch – the response was overwhelming, and we hope that everyone had a blast.”

Overwatch launches May 24 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

My Take: Great new for Blizzard! It looks like they have another hit on their hands. I played a little bit off the beta myself and it's pretty great, but personally I don't really care about it, not really my kind of game and I don't have the time to spend playing a multiplayer only affair like it. good for them though.

Lionhead wanted to make a “darker and grittier” Fable 4 instead of $75M Fable Legends    

According to a highly detailed chronicle of Lionhead Studios over on Eurogamer, the studio’s former art director John McCormack detailed the Fable 4 pitch – which didn’t interest Microsoft.

“We wanted to hit the late Victorian proper far out Jules Verne shit,” said McCormack, adding the game would have made use of tram cars and flying machines.

“It would be darker and grittier. And because it was R-rated it would have the prostitutes and the humor,” he said. “I was like, man, this is going to be fucking brilliant, and everybody was really into it.”

Bowerstone in the original Fable was a small town, which as the games progressed grew into a large town with the release of Fable 3.

In Fable 4, Bowerstone was London with Jack the Ripper walking the streets as a Balverine in disguise. The game would have relied on British mythology. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde would have been present in the game with a “Fable twist,” adding to the “weird fucked up London environment”.

McCormack and the rest of the team at Lionhead wasn’t pleased with Microsoft’s dismissal of the proposal. He said this was one of the reasons he left in 2012 and formed Another Place Productions.

“It was like, you’ve reached your cap of players for RPG on Xbox and you need to find a way to double that, and you’re not going to do it with RPG,” he said. “I thought, yes we can.

“I said, look, just give us four years, proper finance, give us the chance Mass Effect has, Skyrim has, the games at the time. They’re getting four years and a lot of budget.

“Give us that, and we’ll give you something that’ll get you your players. ‘Nah, you’ve had three shots and you’ve only tripled the money. It’s not good enough. Fuck off.’ That’s what I was annoyed about.”

Plus, Lionhead knew fans wanted a Fable 4 on Xbox One, not the F2P competitive multiplayer Fable Legends.

Over time the team grew especially disheartened with development of Fable Legends, which according to sources started out as Project Opal. Others claim it didn’t.

What was corroborated by all, is that Project Opal was an ambitious project which worked as a village builder on PC, a resource gatherer on mobile, and a shooter on the Xbox console. All tied in together. And it “worked.”

As development progressed on Fable Legends the team struggled. One of the reasons cited was because it was unfamiliar with developing a 4v1 title. There were also issues of balance which the team found a “real challenge” due to the heroes and the villains having leveling up at the same time. Many other contributing factors – such as it not being “fun to play” – were involved, each of which are outlined in the Eurogamer feature.

Sources state Microsoft put $75 million into Fable Legends, and it was only a “couple of updates away from open beta” before it was canceled. This lead many at the studio to believe the tech used in the title would be used to develop Fable 4. Moral was high over the possibility and many felt relief that Legends was coming to a close. Unfortunately, Microsoft also closed the studio.

“The biggest stab in the heart was that for roughly six years the studio had pretty much been tasked to develop games that Microsoft wanted us to make to show off tech,” said a source. “Very few people wanted to make Fable: The Journey and almost nobody wanted to work on Fable Legends.

“It felt like the time was right to finally make that Lionhead 2.0 claim and build the game everyone wanted to play and we all wanted to make Fable 4.”

It’s also worth noting that when Lionhead founder Peter Molyneux left, quite a few employees didn’t “appreciate” his “greatest trait” which was “keeping Microsoft at bay.”

“Peter could do what he wanted and he could say no to Microsoft about almost anything. He had that power, and when he left we suddenly felt a bit more vulnerable,” said the source.

As previously reported, some of the staff formed a team to try and save Fable Legends as “Project Phoenix” and while Microsoft was originally supportive of the idea, and two Chinese companies and other firms expressed interest.

Unfortunately, the consultation period allotted by UK law had ended and the studio shuttered on April 29 before any deal could be inked.

This just covered the basics of the feature on Eurogamer. It is really in-depth worth the read if you are a fan of Fable and Lionhead.

My Take:   This shit is really just unbelievable, just another reason why Microsoft are a bunch of idiots who don;t know shit about the industry or what their fans want... It's even worse now that we know what they wanted to make and that it sounds so awesome.... too bad we'll never see this Mature rated Fable 4 :(

Capcom has NFI what it’s doing with Resident Evil

Resident Evil is a little lost lamb whose shepherd fell down a gully on its way home from the pub.

Resident Evil 7 is back on the radar after Capcom said it’s planning a “full-scale assault” on Resident Evil fans and slipped an unannounced 4 million selling title into its schedule for the next 12 months.

This news, tenuous as its foundations are, has not generated the hype it would have raised even a couple of years ago. A new, core series Resident Evil used to be something to get very, very excited about, but at this stage we’ve all been burned too many times.

Resident Evil 6 was probably the last straw (although as with almost any game that was knocked around badly at launch, it has attracted a late stage fanbase who will defend it unto death, and probably turn up in the comments to give me a savaging for suggesting it wasn’t exquisite). “We’re going back to our roots!” Capcom cried. “Back in Racoon City. Back with Leon. We absolutely know precisely what we’re doing, because we know what makes a good Resident Evil game, and so do you.”

This was absolute nonsense. Hilariously, Capcom has vowed to return to its roots – again.

link to full article; http://www.vg247.com/2016/05/12/capcom-has-nfi-what-its-doing-with-resident-evil/

My Take: Crap. I'm super happy with the work Capcom has been doing on the remasters of the earlier games, but in all honesty they don't need a RE7... in fact i don't even know what they need anymore, it might just be better to let the series die and RIP at this point... I mean they could try to reboot it and hope to god they are as successful as the Tomb Raider reboot, but for that they will have to do a lot of work and more importantly listen to their damn fans and not try to make carp like RE6.

Gonna start trying to do one of these round up post at least once a week from now on, let me know if this is useful to anybody :)

^ Yeah it would be nice to get some news discussion going, but I did try the same thing a few weeks ago and didn't get much response. Maybe if you do it, more people will pay attention :P 

50 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

I personally would like to see a price tag, but either way I don't know why someone would buy one of these over a PC especially if it's gonna cost upwards of 600 bucks or if you already have a regular PS4.

I would be really shocked if the Neo cost more than $400 (USD). I just don't think anyone would spend that much on a console when the older version (which is supposed to be compatible with all the same games) is much cheaper. I would expect them to price Neo at $400 and have a price drop on PS4. Considering the limitation of being tied to PS4, along with improved technology getting cheaper, they could manufacture the Neo's hardware for the same original cost as the PS4. 

57 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

This shit is really just unbelievable, just another reason why Microsoft are a bunch of idiots

Didn't see it in your quote, but I think the same guy told a story about how the studio wanted to put a black female on the cover, and Microsoft told them "Only white guys get on the cover. That's how it is." I just wanted to point out how frustrating that is, as an Asian female gamer.. The people in charge of big companies tend to think that the vast majority of gamers (in the US, I guess) are white males, so they have to target white males, so the protagonists of their games have to be white males. Of course I'm not saying that we need to stop having white male protagonists, but it would be nice if companies were more willing to take a "risk" and feature more diverse characters. (A similar problem occurs in Western music, TV, and movies as well)

1 hour ago, Original Saku said:

Good news for 360 and one owners... too bad Sony is lagging in this area, probably the only thing Microsoft is doing better right now tbh

I know it has a 0.0000001% chance of happening, but I would be so happy if PS3 games became backwards compatible on PS4. I have sooooooo many PS3 games in my backlog, and I still have my PS3 hooked up, but why would I turn it on when I've got a PS4 to play?? (though I guess, even if PS4 had BC, I'd be like "why would I play those OLD games when I have so many NEW games?") Alas, the PS3 was just too different.

With my recent interest in Overwatch, I'm extremely disappointed in myself for missing the Beta of it. Me going through Twitter:

dd_1453119193.gif

21 hours ago, peffy said:

Didn't see it in your quote, but I think the same guy told a story about how the studio wanted to put a black female on the cover, and Microsoft told them "Only white guys get on the cover. That's how it is." I just wanted to point out how frustrating that is, as an Asian female gamer.. The people in charge of big companies tend to think that the vast majority of gamers (in the US, I guess) are white males, so they have to target white males, so the protagonists of their games have to be white males. Of course I'm not saying that we need to stop having white male protagonists, but it would be nice if companies were more willing to take a "risk" and feature more diverse characters. (A similar problem occurs in Western music, TV, and movies as well)

Wow. If that's true then damn... that is just scummy as shit.

10 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Wow. If that's true then damn... that is just scummy as shit.

Yeah.. here, I found the original source.. it's from the Eurogamer article.

McCormack was further incensed over a row over the box art for Fable 3.

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fucking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fuck you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fuck you, man. I hated it.

"I was screaming at them in conference calls. I lost it at that point, because they just weren't getting the game. Especially because we were the first ever game that had gay marriage, we were about breaking down walls. It was meant to be funny and mature. They just took none of it and just did the usual white guy with a sword on the front. Damn it! You missed the point!"

New screenshots for Kingsglaive (the FFXV-related CG movie) are out.. holy crap it LOOKS amazing. Also, the characters look far more interesting than the main party of FFXV.

Can I have this lady in my party please....? :wub:

ju7NQG5.jpg

Screenshots:

NgRb.jpg

FgRb.jpg

CgRb.jpg

It looks too real o_o (well, at least the main characters look too real.. background characters look pretty fake)

Lots more pictures here

http://www.4gamer.net/games/075/G007535/20160526001/

^ omg I had to look twice at you saying it looks too real, lol. I was wondering what the 'actors' names were! XD Will have to check out as much XV stuff as possible. Looks damn neat!