Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

I've seen mostly negative opinions of We Happy Few so far.

Mostly because the gameplay is "nothing like the trailer suggested". It's actually one of those survival games where you have to constantly worry about hunger/thirst/sleep.

Granted, it's currently in alpha (early access I guess) with zero story content, so I understand why people are put off by it right now.

(personally, it is not at all the kind of game I would enjoy)

I think I know how to "finish" it in two minutes. Saw it in a gameplay video.

-very minor early spoilers-

Spoiler

At the very beginning of the game, you have a choice of whether or not to take your Joy pills. If you take the pills, the game ends. If you don't take the pills, you proceed with the rest of the game.

So yeah, you're not really "finishing" the game.

As for Lost Soul Aside.. I think the blue.. sword trails?... are way too intense. WAY too intense. It obscures half the screen.

But, this is also not really my kind of game. (though I have played or bought similar games)

1 hour ago, peffy said:

I think the blue.. sword trails?... are way too intense. WAY too intense. It obscures half the screen.

But, this is also not really my kind of game. (though I have played or bought similar games)

Dude but but.....Seizures mannnn.

I'm a sucker for the Devil May Cry Series combat style.

On a different note:

I was hoping we'd be lucky to get everything in-game for FFXV, but I guess not.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/final-fantasy-xv-season-pass-announced

For anyone else interested, the original NES Castlevania Soundtrack is up for sale on 10" grey splatter vinyl on MONDO.

Get 'em while they're hot!

Castlevania-Disc2_1024x1024.jpg?v=146973

8 hours ago, peffy said:

I've seen mostly negative opinions of We Happy Few so far.

Mostly because the gameplay is "nothing like the trailer suggested". It's actually one of those survival games where you have to constantly worry about hunger/thirst/sleep.

Granted, it's currently in alpha (early access I guess) with zero story content, so I understand why people are put off by it right now.

(personally, it is not at all the kind of game I would enjoy)

Yeah I know that's why I'm excited for it, there was tons of gameplay demos during E3 for it that showed what it really was. If somebody had the wrong idea about the game then that's there fault for not actually delving deeper than a trailer. Most people I've seen with negative opinions are people who had the wrong idea about the game and people who don't like survival indie games.... so yeah big surprise there.

The game looks awesome though, and there's a lot about it that's pretty unique. I'm excited for it, I hope I can get access to the beta sometime before release. What interests me the most is the procedural generated stuff they were talking about and the setting for the world... like what the fuck is going on and why is shit so messed up?

This footage is from Berseria's demo (now available on Japanese PSN)

They SOMEHOW managed to fuck up the battles even worse than Zestiria's camera issues. Hopefully this is fixed in the full game...

...aside from this hilarious mess, I've seen mostly positive impressions of the combat and characters (along with complaints about the graphics looking exactly like Zestiria but with better framerate). That hoverboard thing looks cool. I'll try out the demo during the weekend.

EDIT

Had a block of spare time so I played the demo just now.

Didn't manage to get a glitchy battle stage like in the video. 

I'm actually rather impressed. The characters seem amusing, so far. I actually LOL'ed once. Battles and exploration seem way more fun than Zestiria. Skits are more dynamic than before (more like a comic, where it frequently swaps to different "panels") and it really adds life to them. The hoverboard thing is super cool, you seamlessly jump on/off it by holding down/releasing R2, and it's such a relief to be able to zoom around quickly after the Windstepping BS in Zestiria. The game seems to look a lot nicer than Zestiria probably due to the 60fps.

I MIGHT ACTUALLY drop the cash to get this day one...

Edited by peffy

Dude openly works on Metroid 2 remake (the gameboy one) for almost10 years, releasing footage, demos, everything... Finally releases the full game and gets hit with a DMCA notice by Nintendo after 2 days. WTF Nintendo? That's like actively bullying your fans

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

Dude openly works on Metroid 2 remake (the gameboy one) for almost10 years, releasing footage, demos, everything... Finally releases the full game and gets hit with a DMCA notice by Nintendo after 2 days. WTF Nintendo? That's like actively bullying your fans

Yeah but you can still get it if you look hard enough, I suggest checking out the AM2R subreddit.

It's really no surprise, Nintendo is so draconian when it comes to things like this, I'm sure he knew that it wouldn't be long before a DMCA was filed. Now what I'm really hoping is that this isn't going to affect him releasing update patches for the game, because before the DMCA notice there was talk of patches. The damage has already been done, Nintendo really didn't accomplish anything with the DMCA because the game has had ample time to circulate , Mainly thanks to all the main stream news outlets hyping it up, and if you don't have it yet it's trivial to find out how to get it. A DMCA can't do shit when it's being shared through a magnet link and a hundred different people are all seeding it on different PCs LOL.

Yep, I managed to find it quite easily myself as well. I just think it's INCREDIBLY lame that they waited so long before striking cuz the game's already had quite a bit of publicity and hype surrounding it in the past. If anything, they could've just embraced the fact that the thing exists, polish the game up a bit and release it on their own webshop or something instead of shutting it down. Not like Nintendo seems to care much for the Metroid IP nowadays anyway...

Kind of makes me wonder what'll happen to that Mother 4 fangame

These gifs/videos make me infinitely more interested in No Man's Sky..

The only things stopping me are

a. first-person point of view

b. $80 price tag in Canada

c. no time to play

It's definitely something I'd try out for $20-30 tho.

I'd name every planet and creature with PEFF somewhere in the name so you KNOW I was there.

Nxoedeb.gif 

Edited by peffy

5 hours ago, peffy said:

It's definitely something I'd try out for $20-30 tho.

I'd name every planet and creature with PEFF somewhere in the name so you KNOW I was there.

It does seem interesting, I'll give it that. Set a whole day aside where it's just you, the game, and a beautiful TV display with the lights off, and I have no doubt that you can let your imagination go wild.

Only problem is: with the already huge list I have to still finish, and the games I've already preordered come next month, this game will only be bought and sit for a looong time before I can actually get to playing it.

So I agree, if it were $20-30 for this, I'd totally bite. By the time I can actually purchase it, it might just be lol.

16 minutes ago, Flame-X said:

So, to anyone who's playing No Man's Sky. Is the game actually good or just nothing more than a hype? Be honest here.

I'm not actually playing it, but I have read a good amount of discussion about the game.

In summary, it's good if you like this sort of game.
You will wander, alone, around an infinite number of randomly-generated planets/star systems/galaxies, gather materials to upgrade & fuel your ship, investigate points of interest (which could advance a "story"), make friends or enemies with alien races, find weird plants/animals/environments, and occasionally engage in a spaceship battle. If this sounds awesome to you, you will love the game.

If you are expecting any amount of multiplayer interaction, elaborate trading/crafting/building systems, amazing first person shooter combat, etc THIS IS NOT THE GAME FOR YOU and you will hate it and you will bitch and complain about how it's not what it was advertised to be even though most of that was just people projecting their hopes and dreams for a be-all-end-all space simulation onto a game made by 15 people.

4 hours ago, Flame-X said:

So, to anyone who's playing No Man's Sky. Is the game actually good or just nothing more than a hype? Be honest here.

Damn dude you live! lol where you been?

edit: A friend of mine is playing it. I'll hang out with him and get an impression soon.

Edited by YuyoDrift

PERSONALLY I CANT WAIT BECAUSE THIS LOOKS MIGHTY FUCKIN FLAVORFUL

oh and has anyone else copped Furi yet? That game is amazing, the graphics looks a little weird but the game is pretty along with kinda hard to master gameplay.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:41 AM, YuyoDrift said:

Damn dude you live! lol where you been?

I've been around here daily, just not actively posting. ^_^

In other news, I just pre-ordered the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided through GMG for $45. First time in years, I pre-ordered a video game.

Edited by Flame-X

That late Nintendo crackdown was actually a way of letting us fans enjoy the game and do their job at the same time. AM2R and Pokemon Uranium are pretty well known since ages ago. Pretty sure Nintendo could have take them down earlier, and chosen not to do so. They must protect their IPs, but at least we can still find it. Sure, would be a lot better if they just find a way to work together with the dude, use his work in some way, redo according to their standads, polish it and maybe "officially" on virtual console charging for it, but that would be ask too much of old japanese corporate men...

And I've been playing No Man's Sky and I have to say, I can't see it holding my attention for long. Earlier it's more like an inventory management simulator than anything else. Its kinda fun to fly around in space, but planets airspace is extremely limited, your dude take like a whole year to walk a short distance, just to collect materials you cant carry, and have to drop something, and you are out of fuel, and go search for fuel, and now you are out of shields, and so goes on. I find very little incentive to keep going. This game desperately needed multiplayer, human interaction and such to make things more interesting, I believe.

Re: walking speed, there is a way to move faster

I view No Man's Sky as kind of an existential thing. "Art" if you will. You're meant to feel very alone in a vast universe. Having multiplayer in the traditional sense would completely destroy that feeling.

Whether or not it's a "good game" is completely up to the player's tastes. It's good if you find survival games fun. If you like exploring for the sake of exploring. If you'd like to spend hours drifting around, not knowing if the next planet you visit will be a shithole or some kind of prehistoric utopia. If you're interested in seeing the benefits and limitations of random generation. If you like the idea of discovering something no one else has seen before, and being able to name it something stupid. If you want to explore alone and not worry about some troll following you around and killing you repeatedly with their superior gun. etc etc

If you don't find any of that compelling, yes, you will get bored of it quickly.

I do believe the game is not complete right now. It has crashing problems on PS4, and runs poorly on some PCs. Keep in mind that the developers were not even able to hire a QA support team until they got money from day one sales. They are supposed to be adding "base building" in an undated future update, which sounds like it could be a major feature. Hopefully by the time I get around to playing it, it will be much improved from its current state.

Edited by peffy

Is anyone else here a fan of the King of Fighters series? I'm considering buying the newest one coming out on the 23rd of this month. 
The gameplay pretty much remains the same I've heard. Although with the storyline of previous games and the developers putting an end to characters such as Ash Crimson and Chizuru; I've been keeping a close eye on the updates and the game seems promising if I were to buy it.

1 hour ago, MaikoMizu said:

Is anyone else here a fan of the King of Fighters series? I'm considering buying the newest one coming out on the 23rd of this month. 
The gameplay pretty much remains the same I've heard. Although with the storyline of previous games and the developers putting an end to characters such as Ash Crimson and Chizuru; I've been keeping a close eye on the updates and the game seems promising if I were to buy it.

I preordered the steelbook with the soundtrack.

loooong time fan. I thought 13 was impressive. 14, well..... if the gameplay is consistent, then it will make up for the weird 3D look of the characters. Kyo looks like a white dude lol.

2 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Yup, I was watching the internet meltdown with great amusement when the rumour first surfaced..

South Park comes out 1 week after that. This completely ruins my schedule. I guess I'll play South Park first, surely it is the shorter game...

In other news, details about PS4's 4.00 firmware update have been released.

Yay for folders, improved library organization, ability to view trophies offline, and other UI improvements!

Never mind that this stuff should've been there from day 1.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/15/ps4-system-software-4-00-will-feature-folders-ui-refresh-more/

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/3499/20160815-ps4.html <-- includes screenshots

Custom profile header looks nice. Wish I took more screenshots now.

MhBIuKE.jpg

lol... i saw that delay coming from a mile away xD especially after that horrible Xbox E3 demo. Honestly though the delay doesn't really bother me, December is way better for me anyways as far as game releases go.

10 hours ago, Original Saku said:

god awful dubbed voices.

I haaaaate Cindy's accent... no offense to actual Southerners but that is my least favourite English accent. (and I will always be bothered by her ridiculous outfit). Noctis sounds boring and Prompto sounds annoying. Some of the other voices don't seem egregiously offensive though. Anyway, not gonna be playing with the English voices. So happy they're including dual audio.

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/spoilers-ingame-gentiana-aranea-highwind-ffxv-character-models/

I'm so in love :wub::wub::wub:  

Spoiler

Gentiana-Luna.jpg

Hey look, it's Lightning

(not actually Lightning but this totally looks like the outfits in Lightning Returns)

Spoiler

Areana.jpg

that fucking new Metal Gear Zombie Survival game...............

fucking crispy meme right there, what a joke lmao