Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

for the first time in years, i legit want some games for christmas...........................mainly an nes, ps4, cuphead, & dragon ball fighterz (even tho that'll be out next year)

Anyone hyped for Assassin's Creed Origins?

I was iffy on it. I really love the series, specifically, sneaking up on dudes and jamming my hidden blade through their faces. The games were generally easy enough for my low-skill lazy playing. So I was concerned when I heard they changed up the combat, and removed towers/viewpoints and minimap. I've never played a game with one of those compass bar things.

But now I hear they are putting in difficulty options. And the trailers/gameplay videos look very pretty. (granted, I'm not sure how pretty it will look on a launch PS4, but I'm not that picky). Plus, Egypt is a cool setting, way more interesting than European city #6.

I will probably pick it up on Black Friday if there's a good discount.

MY0YlU3.gif

YOU CAN PET CATS.

2 hours ago, peffy said:

Anyone hyped for Assassin's Creed Origins?

I was iffy on it. I really love the series, specifically, sneaking up on dudes and jamming my hidden blade through their faces. The games were generally easy enough for my low-skill lazy playing. So I was concerned when I heard they changed up the combat, and removed towers/viewpoints and minimap. I've never played a game with one of those compass bar things.

But now I hear they are putting in difficulty options. And the trailers/gameplay videos look very pretty. (granted, I'm not sure how pretty it will look on a launch PS4, but I'm not that picky). Plus, Egypt is a cool setting, way more interesting than European city #6.

I will probably pick it up on Black Friday if there's a good discount.

MY0YlU3.gif

YOU CAN PET CATS.

I'm super hyped for it! So hyped that I actually preordered the deluxe edition of it though I promised myself that I wouldn't... oops.

I've really enjoyed the previous AC games and though they've indeed made some changes to this one I'm pretty sure I'll still enjoy it a lot. At least from what the trailers and gameplay videos have shown the mechanics seem still good.

Also the setting is one thing that's gotten me really excited. I can't think of many games that would've been set in Egypt, so it's interesting to see how it'll turn out.

Hey peeps. Okami HD is coming on PS4 and X BOX ONE on 12th of December and YOU, yes, you there, should buy it and play it. 

The biggest reason being that while this game is fairly underrated in the means of how many people have played it, it has a very dedicated cult following for a reason. The game is absolutely gorgeous with the style of an old sumi-e ink painting and the story is breathtaking and emotional. Basically you play as a "fallen" goddess of the sun, Amaterasu, descended on the land of Nippon as a wolf and unable to return to her godly domain due to losing all of her powers. You go through a story of regaining her divine skills and at the same time, save the land from the oni (demons) that have suddenly started appearing for mysterious reasons. Along the way you meet a cast of different people and creatures, who try to go along with their ordinary lives amongst the chaos, and you form unbreakable bonds with them. This synopsis was provided by me.

The official reveal trailer below. Just watch it, it's sure to sway you.

And if the game's timeless style and story hasn't yet quite convinced you, hear this: the physical copy of the game is only $19.99 on gamestop! It was cheaper on amazon, but unfortunately they've run out of the US copy altogether, which tells you that this is a highly anticipated HD remake you definitely should get. Still, less than 20 dollars is still an unbeatable price for a full, unused game nowadays! Get it! Get it now!

I have been wanting to play Okami for ever. I already have the artbook and I'm super in love with it, I just never managed to get my hands on it. When I saw that it was coming to Steam my wallet jumped straight into my hands. I CAN'T WAIT! 

Also even though I bought a PS4 (solely to play FF XV), I'm kind of struggling to find uses for it lol. Like, all the games I want eventually come to pc and cheaper too. In the end it comes down to whom I'll be playing the game with. If it's with friends, I'll probably buy it on PS4 (so I can carry it to their house if necessary), if it's solo then PC. I don't know, it really feels like a spare part lol

Regarding the new AC, I've never enjoyed the series and find the games painfully boring but Egypt as a setting has my attention. It makes me think why developers often insist on copy-paste futuristic settings or stick to European stuff when there's so much unexplored ground in terms of concepts e.g Egypt, caveman times (FarCry Primal), etc. I want to play it just to explore the world so I'll probably wait a while 'till it's about £10 on Steam or something. 

16 hours ago, platy said:

Also even though I bought a PS4 (solely to play FF XV), I'm kind of struggling to find uses for it lol. Like, all the games I want eventually come to pc and cheaper too. In the end it comes down to whom I'll be playing the game with. If it's with friends, I'll probably buy it on PS4 (so I can carry it to their house if necessary), if it's solo then PC. I don't know, it really feels like a spare part lol

There really is no other reason to own a PS4 than exclusives. In all seriousness. However, if you're looking for games to play aside from FFXV, I could recommend FFXII and Persona 5. And Kingdom Hearts series. My hubby would also like to recommend Bloodborne and Yakuza series, especially Yakuza 0.

16 hours ago, platy said:

there's so much unexplored ground in terms of concepts e.g Egypt, caveman times (FarCry Primal)

And now also recommending Horizon: Zero Dawn. Brilliant game, that combines "futuristic setting" and caveman times, which is basically set in future but where the human race is mostly descended back to early evolution behaviour like tribes and living off of the land.

6 hours ago, The Bread Wolf said:

There really is no other reason to own a PS4 than exclusives. In all seriousness. However, if you're looking for games to play aside from FFXV, I could recommend FFXII and Persona 5. And Kingdom Hearts series. My hubby would also like to recommend Bloodborne and Yakuza series, especially Yakuza 0.

And now also recommending Horizon: Zero Dawn. Brilliant game, that combines "futuristic setting" and caveman times, which is basically set in future but where the human race is mostly descended back to early evolution behaviour like tribes and living off of the land.

Yessss! I'm waiting for the latest KH to be released and also will buy the remasters eventually. Persona 5 is way too fucking expensive and the price won't budge which annoys me because I really want to play it.

Horizon is also on my list, I bought the artbook and the level of detail that went into each tribe and the creatures is awesome. Although I heard the story ends up being disappointing, it's worth playing for the level of detail alone.

A lot of the games I'm looking forward to on PS4 still haven't been released, but yeah thanks for reminding me that the FF series is usually a Sony exclusive. I'm sure there'll be many remasters to look forward to lol. Also need to give XII a try again, I got stuck on a boss about six years ago and never went back. Oh yeah, I saw recently that they're remastering L.A Noir for the ps4 and I totally recommend it if you're a fan of Rockstar Games. 

17 hours ago, platy said:

Persona 5 is way too fucking expensive and the price won't budge which annoys me because I really want to play it.

I wanna say P5 is totally worth it, but if you don't have the money it doesn't matter whether it is or isn't. However, it IS a great JRPG. 

Although I heard the story ends up being disappointing, it's worth playing for the level of detail alone.

I think this is up for debate. I don't think the story was disappointing. I personally think it was quite inventive and intriguing, but it does require a lot of reading and listening to get all the finer details of the premise of the story. And it even left the ending a little open for a possible sequel, which I expect the game will get as it did massively well.

A lot of the games I'm looking forward to on PS4 still haven't been released, but yeah thanks for reminding me that the FF series is usually a Sony exclusive. I'm sure there'll be many remasters to look forward to lol

I think IX just got an HD remaster, and before that there was VII remaster and XII remaster. And of course, the hyped-not-hyped-anticipated-dreaded VII total remake is coming... eventually. I assume Kingdom Hearts III will be released first as it's been in the making for longer, and then eventually (maybe in a year or two?) they'll release FFVII.

WHICH I HAVE TO SAY I'M WAITING FOR ANXIOUSLY. There'll always be nostalgia junkies who can't take a fact that FFVII didn't age well. Barely any PS1 game did. Honestly, the story is amazing, but you can't look at square polygons forever and think this is the peak performance. So I honestly think the game deserves a remake in the style of FFXV, and so far it's looking pretty sweet. My only problem is Square wanting it to be an episodic release. F U Square. We want a complete game. Not part 1 in one year, part 2 the following year and so on.

Oh yeah, I saw recently that they're remastering L.A Noir for the ps4 and I totally recommend it if you're a fan of Rockstar Games.

On it, buddy. I have a love/sarcastic love relationship with the game. I played it on PS3 and laughed my way through it constantly repeating: "Cowl Felps on tha case!" But I do want the remaster, which, by the way, already got released if I'm not wrong. It's just not a priority on my list (because Okami and eventually all the FFXV DLCs and shite). 

1 hour ago, The Bread Wolf said:

I wanna say P5 is totally worth it, but if you don't have the money it doesn't matter whether it is or isn't. However, it IS a great JRPG. 

I think this is up for debate. I don't think the story was disappointing. I personally think it was quite inventive and intriguing, but it does require a lot of reading and listening to get all the finer details of the premise of the story. And it even left the ending a little open for a possible sequel, which I expect the game will get as it did massively well.

I think IX just got an HD remaster, and before that there was VII remaster and XII remaster. And of course, the hyped-not-hyped-anticipated-dreaded VII total remake is coming... eventually. I assume Kingdom Hearts III will be released first as it's been in the making for longer, and then eventually (maybe in a year or two?) they'll release FFVII.

WHICH I HAVE TO SAY I'M WAITING FOR ANXIOUSLY. There'll always be nostalgia junkies who can't take a fact that FFVII didn't age well. Barely any PS1 game did. Honestly, the story is amazing, but you can't look at square polygons forever and think this is the peak performance. So I honestly think the game deserves a remake in the style of FFXV, and so far it's looking pretty sweet. My only problem is Square wanting it to be an episodic release. F U Square. We want a complete game. Not part 1 in one year, part 2 the following year and so on.

On it, buddy. I have a love/sarcastic love relationship with the game. I played it on PS3 and laughed my way through it constantly repeating: "Cowl Felps on tha case!" But I do want the remaster, which, by the way, already got released if I'm not wrong. It's just not a priority on my list (because Okami and eventually all the FFXV DLCs and shite). 

I tried playing FFVII on my PSP and holy shit it's so ugly. I know the story is great, but it's hard to get over how badly it aged. I don't have a nostalgia boner for this game at all, but I know nostalgia fags have been begging and crying over a remake for more than a decade. Now that they're getting one I've already seen people writing huge threatening "letters" on Squeenix's social media, about how if they screw up this remake then "I'll personally set your building on fire." Final fantasy fans give me ulcers. 

I'm totally looking forward to it, I don't care if it's episodic or not. All I know is no matter how good or bad this remake is people are gonna complain and cry about it, because at the end of the day it's not going to be the *exact* same game as the Ps1 original. 

Also I laughed @  your relationship with LA Noir. I put myself in Cole's shoes whenever I play, like I legit feel like an investigator from the LAPD and my friends hate it. lol

btw can't wait for episode Ignis, it looks like it'll be the best out of the three. Ep. Prompto was great and not just because I totally have feelings for him. If they're really working on an Ardyn DLC I will forgive SE for their mistakes. 

35 minutes ago, platy said:

I tried playing FFVII on my PSP and holy shit it's so ugly. I know the story is great, but it's hard to get over how badly it aged. I don't have a nostalgia boner for this game at all, but I know nostalgia fags have been begging and crying over a remake for more than a decade. Now that they're getting one I've already seen people writing huge threatening "letters" on Squeenix's social media, about how if they screw up this remake then "I'll personally set your building on fire." Final fantasy fans give me ulcers. 

Final Fantasy fanboys are one of the worst because they all think they know how things should be done, and they throw around claims like "people want this, not that" and "this game didn't have voice actors to begin with, so it should be left as such" and "people want a turn based rpg, not an action rpg". 

I can not call myself a Final Fantasy fan in a sense that I have a long, nostalgic history with it. I played VII remaster because I wanted to know what the hype was about and I did not hate the game, but I certainly, at that point, didn't think it was the bestestest gaem evah. It might've been, when it came out, I could give especially the CGI cutscenes some credit, as they were probably prettier than most of the other early 3D games. But like so many other PS1 games, it aged badly and not even the cutscenes are that impressive anymore, especially when you watch like full CGI movies like Kingsglaive being made. 

I also think turn based rpgs have their niche, but they are by no means a way to reach a wider audience anymore. There are probably a good number of such rpgs on the indie market, and if people want to play with that style, they should look out for them. However, Square Enix is too big of a company to be following some niche market for the HC gamers who only play turn-based rpgs and Soulsborne with no equipment and call it "the true experience".  Same goes for the voice acting. Final Fantasy games have had voice acting for a good number of years now, so I don't see any reason for Squeenix to not have them in a remake. Basically these are the same people who are now complaining how broken and stupid FFXV is and versus XIII was going to be better despite no one actually knowing what versus XIII would've been like BECAUSE THE GAME NEVER GOT MADE.

(Not to say that FFXV isn't a little bit borken but hey, Tabata was given a bad hand and he played it the best he could. There's no turning twos into aces.)

35 minutes ago, platy said:

btw can't wait for episode Ignis, it looks like it'll be the best out of the three. Ep. Prompto was great and not just because I totally have feelings for him. If they're really working on an Ardyn DLC I will forgive SE for their mistakes. 

I already know I'm going to cry at episode Ignis. I just told my husband today how episode Ignis is the only one of the episodes equally related to Noctis as it is to Ignis. Gladio had his own little adventure, Prompto was mostly searching for himself and trying to find out how he fit into this world, but Ignis's episode seems to be just about his loyalty to Noctis and how he's willing to sacrifice anything to save him. 

My inner IgNoct fangirl weeps. 

Ignis is bestgirl. Beats both Luna and Cindy. Kills monsters and cooks and fixes loose buttons. Perfect waifu. 

Damn it rambling again.

Oh yeah forgot to talk about possible Ardyn DLC! Okay, Ardyn DLC would be neat, but damn I wish they made a FFXV-2 completely set in Solheim and how Ardyn became the anointed first king of Lucis only to be deemed unworthy after literally sacrificing everything of himself to the gods and the people. 

I WOULD PLAY AS ARDYN. I wanna play as Ardyn. I wanna follow Ardyn's story from his point of view. 

But I also know Tabata confirmed there won't be XV-2, because he wanted XV to be the full experience. But I hope he changes his mind. 

Edited by The Bread Wolf

13 minutes ago, platy said:

HOW GOOD DOES THIS LOOK? 

(and why the fuck is Marluxia back smh) 

I'M HELLA PUMPED FOR THIS XD

What looks like an Ariel summon around 2:10 excites me heaps, but of course they're bringing more characters (like marluxia and vanitas) back xD

On 10/02/2018 at 9:46 AM, NightFall said:

I'M HELLA PUMPED FOR THIS XD

What looks like an Ariel summon around 2:10 excites me heaps, but of course they're bringing more characters (like marluxia and vanitas) back xD

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE EXCITED SEEING ARIEL lol seeing as the water world is my least favorite (mainly because of the hellish nightmare the controls were in the first game). Also so excited about Monsters, Inc. I think the movies they've picked will translate really well into a fun game. 

holy shit

I don't know anything about this series (Fist of the North Star) except that it appears to be manly as hell. And that this game is being made by the Yakuza team. I might actually play it..

i may or may not have just given in & bought a season pass for the DLC characters in Dragon Ball FighterZ...............

wake me up when bardock is finally released ♥♥♥

I didn't notice that anyone would've mentioned Darksiders 3 here so I might as well mention it here now haha

I'm a huge fan of the previous Darksiders games (I liked the first one maybe a bit more than the second one, but I hope this third one will be as good as the first one again~) and I've been waiting for the third game for a few years now. It'll finally be releasing some time this year and I'm really excited for it!

I think they're doing a really good job in designing the main character, Fury. She looks badass.

8 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

I have waited more than 15 years for this!

This is definitely a nostalgia trip and a day one purchase for me.

This has done me a heckin surprise.

Spyro 2 was literally the first game I ever played. I think I was 9 or something, maybe 10. I have such fond memories of playing the game and watching my dad complete the game for me because I couldn't do it. I loved it. I played it so many times afterwards. And now it's gonna be part of my life again, in HD remastered graphics. Even the games that I wanted to play and never did, which are 1 and 3. 

Just hope that they keep the original soundtrack and maybe just remaster the tracks too, because especially Spyro 3 had some kickass tunes (Fireworks factory anyone?)

Just watched this video of Cory Barlog, game director of God of War reacting to the meta critic reviews released this week after the embargo lifted.

So emotional, I almost teared up. I can't even imagine  working on something for so long and just not knowing if it was gonna work out, and then all your doubts to just be cleared away at once. The stress alone was probably excruciating.

Can't wait to finally play the new vision of GOW that this man helped create. One more day.