Trombe

girugamesh new mini album "gravitation" release

dijest - moar liek dijent ehue

anyway, doesn't sound bad but it's really lulzworthy to see how giru' always jump on the "what's popular at the time" bandwagon (from electro-tinged nu-metal to bland poppy barely-rock to post-HC stylings).

EXPOSE

This actually sounds pretty promising. I found Monster to be pretty forgettable, even if it was an improvement over a lot of their more recent stuff. But this sounds like the band actually collectively grew a new pair.

Oh god, please don't tell me people actually use the term "djent" as a genre here.

This mini is going to be mindblowing for sure, I agree with Rekzer, this made MONSTER sound like GO. Definitely digging these songs, VORTEX and GO AHEAD having some form of Nokubura headbang feeling to it, Reflection being very fast-paced and slightly aggressive; every member has certainly improved drastically

I finally listened to the previews. In some ways I really like what they're doing; but in others I'm underwhelmed. Just like their previous album everything is dressed up as sounding "new" when they're sticking to the same conventions that they've done throughout their career and adding a bit of flair to it. This is good and bad for me (upon initial listen of the previews), and where I feel like this release will end up going. There's some really awesome guitar work in there that is largely absent from Dir en grey, 12012, GazettE, Sadie, etc. Even though riddled with breakdowns and chugging done 100x over, Nii isn't taking the easy way out with power chords and simple chord progressions for the chorus. There is actual work and skill put into the sort-of shredding that he does in between the chugging riffs. I've always enjoyed Nii's playing, even when I've been at odds with their music.

The part that bothers me though, is my complaint with Monster: it's the same thing just dressed up differently to give the appearance of legitimate musical change when there is none. The level of distortion or the switch to extended range guitars (Nii was playing a 7 string last time I checked) =/= musical progress. Musical progress relies on how the music is structured, written, and where the band goes with it. What is girugamesh doing here? Nothing different than what they've been doing their entire career. Everything is in common time and features a half-step resolution at the end of every measure to lead into the next. Not only that; but sprinkle in some quick diminished hammer-on's and pull off's to add to the metalcore vibe. It's lazy; but in a way that is not only formulaic, it's underwhelming. Is it too difficult to extend a musical idea? Why can't a progression last longer than the given measure? Why don't they go anywhere with the music?

Despite that very harsh criticism, I'm still excited as this is an even further step away from that mess known as "GO"

EDIT: Just noticed the album is already up for download. Looks like I'll be listening to that next.

Edited by relentless

Idt Nii was ever a 7 String guitarist bro.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Yeah you're right. Just too drunk to pick that shit out and because of their tuning I assumed it was 7 strings. It's very rare to get that chunky of a sound off a 6 string. I must have been seeing shit because in one video I thought Nii was playing a 7 string; but then again I've also thought a handful of other guitarists were using 7 strings and weren't...sooo......

I dunno man, the guitar work in 12012's last mini was effing killer.

XII or The Swan? The Swan had one track that I thought was cool from the main riff: DEADLY CIRCUS. But they do NOTHING with that badass riff. They get it to fit one measure and play it over, and over, and over, and over, and over again with no variation. At least modulate and do something with it. 12012 can't even be bothered to do that. Instead they take this badass riff with incredible potential if it was in the hands of a prog metal band, and go nowhere with it.