Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

Create a Fantasy Tribute Album!

Hey guys,

In this thread I thought we could try putting together tribute albums we would love to see.

There are no rules, make up whatever choices you want.

Suggestions:

You may want to either choose one artist to be covered by multiple others, like Hide Tribute, with or without a theme.

You may choose an era to be covered, like CRUSH.

You may choose multiple artists from any era to be covered by one artist, etc...

Here`s one to start:

Alice Nine Tribute Album:

RAINBOWS - Takanori Nishikawa (Shou`s hero).

Time Machine - DIV

Fantasy - L`Arc en Ciel (Hyde is another of Shou`s heroes).

White Prayer - Luna Sea (Heavily influenced A9).

Blue Planet - UNiTE (Think this is a great match)

Velvet - Dir en Grey

Heart of Gold - SID

Senkou - Kra (I think Taizo would kill this on guitar!)

Heisei Juushichinen - Aoi (Think his energy would rule in this song).

Let me know what you think, and post up your own ideas!

Cool topic! I'm not very familiar with A9, so I can't really offer a critique on your fantasy tribute. =|

I'm a big fan of tearing down boundaries, taking risks, and being both creative and unpredictable when it comes to music, so my tribute would be very unorthodox! I think it would amazing to hear these bands and their different renditions:

MY DIR EN GREY TRIBUTE ALBUM!

01: 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 - kamomekamome

"Hageshisa..." is a pretty intense song throughout and would suit a "thrashing-ly" hardcore band like kamomekamome. I could imagine them spicing up the riffage a bit, but maintaining the spirit of the song. They'd probably replace kyo's low-growls with screaming (but they're good at it, so... ;P)

02. CAGE - 9mm Parabellum Bullet

The melodic and hooky nature of this song would be right up 9mm's alley. Not to mention they'd absolutely nail the upbeat instrumentation while managing to infuse their signature sound.

03. 逆上堪能ケロイドミルク - THE BACK HORN

"Gyakujou Tannou Keloid Milk" has a signature high-note in it that Yamada WOULD NOT be able to hit. For some that would probably kill the song, but I think THE BACK HORN could put enough power behind the rest to make a compelling rendition.

04. Bottom of the death valley - LOSTAGE

Lostage are fucking fantastic at covering songs AND "RED…[em]" has a great, straightfoward hard-rock sound that would cater to the band's strengths. Although since Takahisa doesn't really scream, their cover wouldn't be as dark as the original. Still tons of room for Takahisa's bass playing to shine, though.

05. Machiavellism - 八十八ヶ所巡礼

This song has such a sinister yet playful tone to it - 88kasyo could do wonders with this. My only concern would be the more melodic, singing parts since Margaret doesn't really "sing" per se.

06. 凌辱の雨 - me-al art

I'm specifically referring to the funkier (and all around better) single version of "Ryoujoku no Ame". Imagining Satoko singing the chorus gives me chills. In fact, she'd completely obliterate Kyo on this song. The only real downfall is that Satoko probably can't do the screaming parts.

07. 悲劇は目蓋を下ろした優しき鬱 - THE NOVEMBERS

Brooding, atmospheric numbers like "Higeki wa Mabuta..." are THE NOVEMBERS' specialty. In fact, I think their cover would be extremely faithful to the original.

08. raison detre - 凛として時雨

I know I wanted ling tosite to cover ONE of dir en grey's songs, but it was tough to chose one. Ling is an extremely peculiar band, so I think they'd rip a completely new asshole into whatever DEG song they cover. They'd probably change the drumming and speed it up a bit for sure.

09. INCONVENIENT IDEAL - イツエ

The chorus of this song is so incredibly powerful that you'd need an equally or even more emotive vocalist to sing it, but I think itsue's vocalist fits the bill. There are no screaming or harsh vocals in this song either, so she could definitely pull it off!

10. THE FINAL - cinema staff

Perhaps one of diru's most pop-oriented songs? What better band to cover this than cinema staff? A band that has both keen pop sensibilities and raw aggression!

OBVIOUSLY this is a highly-unlikely tribute, and my selection of DIR EN GREY songs is horribly biased (I'm just a casual fan, haha). Ardent fans of the band would be both disappointed in the tracklist AND the band selection, but I personally think it would turn out pretty cool!

FLASH-FAB-ELVIS-9-TRIBUTE

1. Zero - Karasu

2. 9th Revolver - BugLug

3. 九龍-Nine Heads Rodeo Show- - 12012

4. Mirror Ball - CINDYKATE

5. The Beautiful Name - Abingdon Boys School

6. White Prayer - ViViD

7.  Drella - Kra

8. Akatsuki - THE KIDDIE

9. Blue Planet - BluBillion

10. RUMWOLF - The LEGENDARY SIX NINE (2014 Configuration)

11. Fuurin - DIV

12. [atmosphere] - UNiTE

13. Mugen -Electric Eden- - TM. Revolution

14. Gemini1&2&3 - Dir en Grey

15. Birth in the Death - Zoro

I'd probably die if something even vaguely resembling this ever happened...

PLASTIC TREE TRIBUTE

01. Mucc - Melancholic

02. Shilfee & Tulipcorobockles - Zetsubou No Oka (I remember hearing Full cover this song before during his webstream lives, soooo....)

03. Coaltar of the Deepers - Cell (I think Narasaki already contributed to this song)

04. cali≠gari - consent. (Ishii's goatbed influences would fit this song hella well)

05. the god and death stars - Wareta mado

06. LIPHLICH - Tremolo (They'd probably totally change it into something unique)

07. Moran - Utsusemi

08. DOPPEL - Sink

09. DIMMDIVISION - 13th friday

10. Hollowgram - Kuchuu Buranko

LAREINE TRIBUTE

01. Dir en gray - The Candy Spooky Theater

02. Tsukiyo no kageki - Moi dix Mois

03. Solitude - Közi

04. Metamorphose - Missalina Rei

05. Fiacailles - Aoi (ex Ayabie)

06. Gerbe - Aliene Ma'riage

07. Grand Pain - D'espairsRay

08. Lillie Charlotte - An Cafe (original members: Miku, Kanon, Teruki, Bou)

09. Fuyu Tokyo - Fatima

10. Saikai no Hana - RENTRER EN SOI

Kuroyume tribute album FUCK THE BORDER LINE -RETAKE-

(much better sequel)

1. BUCK-TICK feat. Morrie - Kaitou Jikken (解凍実験)

- Not a bad idea for "senpais" to cover their "kouhais'" songs at all! The song is very post-punk-ish (in a way), and thanks to its manic Kiyoharu 3-vocal tracks, I can see Imai , Sakurai  and Morrie pulling this out well.

2. the GazettE - Drug People

- At least much better song choice than "C.Y. HEAD". Imagine if this were "Agony part. 2".

3. Tommy Heavenly6 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY

- The song is very cheery, despite quite sad-toned lyrics, and is easy for Tomoko to do.

4. Mao (SID) feat. SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS - HELLO, CP ISOLATION

-  Every good tribute album needs some wtf-ery, hey!

5. Shiina Ringo x Seiji Kameda ( or Tokyo Jihen, short-lived reunion or w/e) - Jounetsu no Kage (情熱の影)

- This calm, funky piece needs definitely Shiina's dramatic vocals in it, and Kameda to convey Hitoki's "Another One Bites the Dust"-influenced bassline. OR it might become a very jazz-heavy masterpiece too!

6. lynch. - MIND BREAKER

- It's quite obvious why I chose lynch. for this song - listen to it!

7. Miyavi - NITE&DAY

- Considering that Miyavi already "semi-covered" certain Kuroyume songs (with the band itself, lol), I might find this acoustic piece okay for him to do. It's also easy for him to convey that "raw" acoustic sound of the original.

8. MUCC - Tell

- I would've chosen more melancholic piece for them but considering Miya's strict "no more negativity"-policy, I had to find a laid-back song for them. Here ya go!

9. DIR EN GREY - Shihainaru Deathmask (201X ver.) (親愛なるDeathmask)

- These guys already covered the song back in 1997, but it would've been great to see them remake it - even if it ends up sounding in vein of Kiri to Mayu's 2012 ver. Also, this lets Toshiya and Die shine :)

10. D'erlanger - Nakigara wo (亡骸を )

- Tetsu can do some magic improvisation with that drumline loop and Cipher can make the guitarline sound so "airy". Very fitting for Kyo's vocal range too.

11. PENICILLIN - DANCE 2 GARNET

- Chisato riffing those Shintastic solos and Hakuei going back to his old-schooling, why not?

12. Takanori Nishikawa feat. SEKAI NO OWARI - SEE YOU

- Great finale for this tribute album (was used quite often as their "last song"), and Takanori makes wonders with this one (along with SNO ofc)

Bonus tracks (ironically, for the sake of cashing in lol):

13. LIPHLICH - Love Me Do

- For the sake of adding more Kiyoharu fanboys and WTF song choices

14. Ling Tosite Sigure - ICE MY LIFE

- More wtf-ery, more profit! I can see this ending up quite surprising.

15. L'Arc~en~Ciel - For Dear

- I can only hope, right? Also, guitar is very Ken-like here. PLUS quite essential song in Kuroyume's repertoire, lol.

Here is mine.

A live distributed CD to be released. (◕‿◕✿)

Artist: DIR EN GREY

Title: 女々しくて (Shot In One Take) (memeshikute) (Original by Golden Bomber)
Release Date: 2014.14.14
Tracklist:

01. DIR EN GREY - 女々しくて (Shot In One Take)

The song itself was secretly recorded in 2010 immediately once they had listened to it for the first time after getting a signed copy; unfortunately, it has been postponed to be released from time to time because the staff didn't let them include it in the deluxe limited edition of DSS as a bonus track.

Meanwhile , I was thinking about DEATHGAZE doing One Direction tribute : What Makes You Beautiful ... only joking ...

I have been thinking a reason for a band to have a tribute ?
So , I come up with 2 respected tribute for ガゼット (the GazettE) ,
since they rarely re-record their own stuffs , popular ,
they have changed a lot , and includes a lot of different styles ,
from their indie with a lot of weird funky screaming tracks , slow emotional style ,
to their nowadays heavy metal , speedy mad melodic , metalcore , electronic within ,
maybe not everyone favorite , and I have to say i do like their indie work more than major (mainly after 2011) ,
and I am sure there is a huge range of fans . new VK bands can play their songs well !
Anyway , here are my 2 respected tribute albums for ガゼット (the GazettE) .

barks_photo3.jpg

post-264-0-16515400-1391406492_thumb.jpg
Tribute Album Title : Psychedelic Gallery ~genesis~
Track list :
01 WING WORKS「The $ocial Riot Machine$」
Can you imagine the RYO:SUKE rework on the middle part from 1:26 with his electronic dub-step dance tune !? YES !!!!!!
02 Lycaon「Last bouquet」
Lycaon used to be great , this style of song suits 悠希's voice , and I can see サトシ playing the guitar + 零's solo !!!!!
03 DIAURA「貴女ノ為ノ此ノ命。」
1 of the BEST ガゼット's song ever , and yo-ka voice is very similar this age of Ruki .
04 BugLug「赤いワンピース」
Nice Encore song at Live , I'm sure BugLug sounds good on this song !!
05 ダウナー「幸せな日々」
DOWNER's japanese style could refashion this song into it .
06 DIV「Cassis」
Not so many band like DIV , because they compose of slow emotional songs are great ,
I'm sure they can play this track with tears blasting out !!
07 R指定「REGRET」
Since late 2012 , R指定 compose quite a lot of slower , less heavy track ,
I think they would be great covering this song !
08 GOTCHAROCKA「「これで良かったんです・・・」」
Dunno why I am feeling 樹威's voice has a high pitch , that's why I give them this song ,
and JUN's guitar seems to be less heavy as Phantasmagoria , this song suits their style !
09 Sick²「☆BEST FRIENDS☆」
Not only the stars suits ジェネ★'s voice , and I can imagine hearing them cover ☆BEST FRIENDS☆ , this is gonna be Sick...² !
10 GIGAMOUS「LINDA~candydive Pinky heaven~」
Because of GIGAMOUS craziness , I can see how they playing it with a bit of giga swagger !
11 Royz「泣ヶ原」
Well , Royz never have a song over 6 mins !! It is a good chance for them to performing live of this song and 昴 voice can bring the emotion out of the track .
12 BORN「紅蓮」
Well , BORN just taking a piss lately about their metal-crazy-rock-wannabe , maybe calm down a bit , singing this song for the ガゼット sake !!
13 Xepher「未成年」
Xepher is the future Super Stunning band , and I believe in them !!!!! 100+10% sure they can cover this song as the whole band is awesome !!
14 グリーヴァ「関東土下座組合」
I can see グリーヴァ playing this cover without a doubt !!
15 Black Gene For the Next Scene「ワイフ」
Bassist Rame can totally nailed this old school indie gaze-track , and Ice can scream as high as Ruki was , with the weird 2 steps of the songs just like the other BFN's songs !!

post-264-0-87808500-1391406669_thumb.jpg
Tribute Album Title : Psychedelic Gallery ~death~
Track list :
01 MEJIBRAY「Filth in the beauty」
One of the most successful Heavy Metal track from the GazettE and 綴's voice would be great on this track ,
again , try to listen to this song , imagine is MEJIBRAY !!
02 SCREW「Ruder」
SCREW has all the energy to play this song , especially 鋲 don't need to sing that much in this song,
mainly focus on scream the song out and just being who he is !
03 己龍「赫い鼓動」
Just put 己龍 in your mind when you listen to this song !
The other reason is ... 己龍 never have any English spelling song , so ... there you go !
04 AvelCain「LEECH」
WoW , they would be a great combination !!
05 CELL-セル-「奈落」
This song's guitar sounds very spooky in some ways , which is perfect for CELL-セル- image !!!!
06 lynch.「MOB 136 BARS」
It is so lynch. !!!!! Can't think of anything else except imagining lynch. playing it !!!!!
07 Avidit.「VENOMOUS SPIDER'S WEB」
This is song itself is good to play , and it actually sounds like Avidit.'s floor Reflection (from their 2012.03 single Psalms of Planet) !!
08 ア​ルルカン「No.[666]」
This song is made for them to cover !!!!!
09 BIOSPHIA「DISCHARGE」
BIOSPHIA is so underrated , but his voice got the power to sing and scream !
10 LIV'ERT「13STAIRS[-]1」
This is like , the style made for LIV'ERT , especially 2:06 guitars !!
11 xTRiPx「Anti Pop」
Seems like their style , I maybe wrong , but their lately RIDE-HAZARD single just similar to this track !
12 新興宗教楽団NoGoD「IN THE MIDDLE OF CHAOS」
団長 can nailed this song easily , but I am not sure will they play such 'slow' tempo song ,
but I really like this song .
13 アヲイ「バレッタ」
The BEST Track from 「NIL」 and suits アヲイ's metal side !!
14 サディ「舐~zetsu~」
Why Sadie ? They are one of those few bands that can play slow heavy metal with a great technique and vocal .
15 DEATHGAZE「Headache Man」
I really want to hear DEATHGAZE cover this song !! No joke !! It would be crazy as F you see K !!

MALICE MIZER tribute album

Some of these are pure fantasy since this isn't going to happen anyway, but a few are pretty plausible cover candidates I think!  The order of the tracks is also a bit random, but I think it's practically a requirement that "Bois de merveilles" be the closing track.  Enjoy!

1. au revoir - Moran
Moran really screwed up their chance to cover "Illuminati" unfortunately, but I don't think that song was really right for them in the first place.  Anyway, I'm prepared to give Moran a second chance and because they really shine on their light, dreamy ballad-type songs, I think "au revoir" is a great fit.
2. Le ciel - DIMMDIVISION.
Le ciel is already a pretty dreamy song, so I can imagine DIMMDIVISION. adding their shoegazey flair and producing magic for my ears.  Their song ".ReyarP" comes to mind as proof that they could pull this off.
3. Gardenia - 네미시스 (Nemesis)
I think it's pretty obvious when listening to Nemesis that despite not being visually inspired, the band must be closet fans of light, frilly VK like this.  Their orchestral arrangements are always beautiful and their guitarist is also a lovely piano player, so they could definitely do some justice to this song.

4. N・p・s N・g・s - 己龍 (Kiryu)
I can really imagine Kiryu putting their unique, crazy spin on this track.  The creepy talking parts and the "DIE GAME" parts are begging to be Mahiro-fied.

5. Syunikiss ~二度目の哀悼~ - Vior gloire
I really struggled with finding a good band to cover "Syunikiss" until I remembered Vior gloire.  Their songs occasionally had a grandiose/cinematic quality.  That combined with Shall's special vocals make Vior gloire a strong candidate for this song.

6. 記憶と空 - Megaromania
Neoclassical guitar riffs and questionable vocals? Sounds like a job for Megaromania!
7. エーゲ ~過ぎ去りし風と共に~ - DOPPEL
Thinking back to DOPPEL's songs like "Eggknock" and "Moonlight xxxx," I think they could produce a neat, twinkly update of this classic MM track.
8. 麗しき仮面の招待状 - Kaya
The VK queen of goth/electronic.  While "Illuminati" seems like an obvious choice, I'd rather hear Kaya's take on the Gackt-era's first single.  This song already has a slight dancey beat, so I can easily see Kaya going all out and doing a full-blown gothy/electronic rendition.
9. 白い肌に狂う愛と哀しみの輪舞 - Lacroix Despheres
The self-labeled "Symphonic Gothic Rock Opera" group has some definitely influence from MALICE MIZER's Klaha era (the Bara no Seidou album), so they seem like a great fit for this track.  Not to mention, Sho's vocals actually do resemble Klaha's somewhat.  I can see them adding their signature, whimsical oboe/flute (and maybe even Saya's vocals for a duet?) making it totally their own.  It worked on "Le sortilege" and "天啓の瞳" so they could definitely work their magic again.
10. 幻想楽園 - Nocturnal Bloodlust
Why not have MALICE MIZER's by far heaviest song get covered by the most br00tal VK band around.  It'd be interesting to hear them deathcore-ify this track, haha.
11. ヴェル・エール ~空白の瞬間の中で~ - Jupiter
Songs like "Bel Air" show that even though Malice Mizer was mostly known for their diverse influences and theatrics, they also had quite interesting guitar parts.  I think "VK metal" guitarists like Hizaki/Teru could give this song a nice modern update, while still retaining the unique atmosphere of the original.  Plus, I think ZIN could do a great job on vocals.
12. Beast of Blood - 関西耽美系~Lily Project~
Harpsichord, heavy repetitive riffs, and a dramatic chorus?  Only Lily project!  I'm sure Seira would do his unique German growls at some point in the song too, haha.
13. 死の舞踏 - Sito Magus
With songs like "necromance," I'm sure Sito Magus could produce a beautiful cover of this old MM favorite.  They would probably slow it down and add even more elements of classy gothic atmosphere.
14. Bois de merveilles - KAMIJO
While solo KAMIJO has a small repertoire so far, he's already shown on "Grazioso" that he's capable of waltzy, soundtrack-worthy arrangements like "Bois de merveilles."  Plus, KAMIJO idolizes vocalist Gackt, so...

I would much rather see Kamijo make an ass out of himself covering "S-Conscious", (un?)ironically moaning "why me???" and Gackt-rapping. 

Or possibly being super bombastic and covering "Bara no Seidou" with a full chorus supporting him. Both would be entertaining :staru:

Tribute to vistlip

1. Night Parade - ギルド

One of the most technical vistlip songs in terms of overall dynamic range. Sounds like something Ryuichi will be able to pull off with his fantastic execution, but Umi's harsh vocals might be a problem though.. XD

2. 影鬼 - 摩天楼オペラ

This song requires tremendous emotional depth to invoke the psychological condition of the schizophrenic "oni". Matenrou Opera gets my pick here.

3. 零 - baroque

There's quite literally no second choice to be had here. This song almost sounds like it's written and tailored for baroque, particularly Ryo's vocals.

4. OBLATE SCREEM - Plastic Tree

Surreal, dreamy, and atmospheric. Totally Pura.

5. STRAWBERRY BUTTERFLY - Dolly

Thematically speaking, there's no better band to do this song than Dolly. I can see them transporting us right into the fable-ish setting of how a young innocent child registers the world.

6. 深海魚の夢は所詮、 - ALSDEAD

Regardless of which band I pick to cover this it's always going to turn out significantly different from the original, but I'm very interested in how an ALSDEAD rendition will sound like.

7. SINDRA - girugamesh

In my dreams, I KNOW. One of vistlip's heavier songs, and I'll prob die from ecstasy even before Satoshi starts singing this. I also suspect that the electro backed instrumentals that giru loves so much will sound amazing if incorporated in this song.

8. CHIMERA - the LEM

Very difficult "run-on" song with hardly any break for the vocalist. Rikuto will be perfect here with how he transits between chest voice and his incredibly effortless falsettos. :D

9. July VIIth - SINCREA

I was very torn as to whether I should include this. On one hand, this is pretty much the iconic song of vistlip and the one that has most symbolic significance for them (7/7 being their anniversary) so it would be scandalous if it's missing from a tribute album. But precisely because of this I find it hard to imagine anyone else other than vistlip singing it XD Still, I'm confident SINCREA will do justice to this masterpiece ;)

L'Arc~en~Ciel Tribute ~REBOOT!~

(because the *actual* tribute sucked - yeah, just because you can desperately pay some western hasbeens to play your songs =/= "tribute")

Main tracks:

1. BUCK-TICK - Get out from the Shell (Japanese version)

Seeing as that Tetsu and Hyde usually handled/crossed their vocal parts, I can see Imai and Sakurai doing the same thing, but in more sympathetic way. Also, those synth/guitar lines definitely ask some handling from Hoshino (who can do synth and rhythm guitars) and Imai (guitar messing lol). Also: a good starter.

2. ONE OK ROCK - Killing Me

The original is very teen rock-ish - with a big T. Also, it's kinda natural (and financially more productive) to put new generation blockbusters in the tribute album for "old generation blockbusters". 

3. Zigzo - And She Said

"And She Said" has sort of underlying indie-ness (or okay, I just pretend that I hear some Smiths' in that riff) - and it'd be interesting to hear ex-vk guys (well, look up to their bio) doing ex-vk-ish song...with certain ex-member (Sakura)! Fun fact: this song was used in "Jeepers Creepers" (international/US version). You don't believe me? Look it up!

4. The HIATUS - HONEY

This is one of those L'arc songs where I feel certain, harmonic "balance" in between its teen rock-ish riffs and sweet, poppy melody. Hosomi doing his stellar performance while Ueno and Izawa handling the bass melody in a whole new way. I can see them working some good magic with that one :)

5. Maaya Sakamoto x SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS x Jin Oki - Wind of Gold

I had some intentions in throwing in lecca for this, but then I realized that WoG is not the same without "calm tones" - and that is where I thought that Maaya would show some potential, and S&P doing their "almost close to Blurry Eyes' version but less messy" arrangement in the background  :) (I really want to see female performers doing Hyde's sensual L'arc songs tbqh). Also, Jin Oki (that flamenco guy who did a song with Miyavi too) gets the vibe heating with his cool guitar(s).

6. B'z - Shi no Hai

Okay, yes, they were L'arc's "marketing rivals" back in the 90s but it'd be nice to see Inaba singing and Tak playing Ken's "Santana-ish" guitar lines in a different fashion (or okay, I just imagine myself in some South American suburb whenever I play this song, ok...) - this just SCREAMS some definite guitar makeover.

7. SID - Blurry Eyes

They covered "Shout at the Devil" in actual tribute - and that in fact didn't really fit in Mao's way of singing nor his range at all. So I decided to find more fitting piece - okay, BE is pretty "fast" too but the singing pace here is quite okay for Mao to follow. Also - they are obviously one of the candidates to perform their idols' "biggest hits ever".

8. Acid Black Cherry - Flower

Knowing that JDA covered this already but in live only, I assure that Yasu will find his comfort zone pretty quickly with this easy-going song - and hopefully add something more to original's "autumn-y" vibe.

9. MUCC - Floods of Tears (single ver. with album ver. -ish vocals)

The band, minus Yukke, actually played Shinshoku in one of JITB events - and dear god what a mindblow (especially in Tatsurou's part). FoT is much more dramatic though, and I expect this to be a good challenge for Tats' and Miya to show up their efforts (in doing great covers). Might be a short comeback to their angstier past :P Also, the bassline yearns for Yukke tbh.

10. Gackt x Neko Saito Orchestra - Hitomi ni Utsuru Mono

Instead of doing stuff with his "higher" voice, he should do more sensual/honest stuff - like this cover for instance. Definitely fitting for Gackt's "if-it-were-possible-to-delve-back-to-his-new-prog-past"-range. Also, I expect this to be a grandiose number with Neko Saito doing some magical arrangements (especially with that "sinister" ending) :). The pv for original song can be found in jpopsuki tv.

11. Alice Nine feat. NHK Tokyo Children's Choir -  MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM (live rendition)

Includes Ken's live solo impro too in the beginning. A9 is basically "the master" at doing songs like this (thanks to Shou's underlying "Hydeness" for eg.)- but at the same time, this whole "make peace no war"-kind of anthem thing will be quite new to them  :) get your bass magic ready, Saga. Also: children's choir necessary for that climax part (also, some plus for grandiose orchestral parts).

12. Mono - Mirai Sekai

I am really expecting a grandiose, sincere over-10 min version out of this - this lil' ditty of a lullaby definitely asks to be covered by such artists as Mono for instance :).

Bonus tracks (for limited edition or w/e - hey, it's L'arc, so of course we have to make some "not-so-cool" marketing tricks!):

13. Gain(가인) - X X X (Korean ver.?)

Hyde's obnoxious, a bit embarrassing effort on being "erotic" with song like this can be turned into something "smartly sexy" by Gain ;)

14.  Kiyoharu x Miyavi - READY STEADY GO

Kiyoharu basically responding to L'arc's "For Dear" in my imaginary tribute universe, lol.

15. DAIGO feat. Yasutaka Nakata & Seiji Kameda - NEO UNIVERSE

Daigo can show his Hyde worship here and it's pretty easy for ystk to adapt this synth-poppy piece into something off his "Sugarless Girl"-era :). Also, Seiji doing magic with Tetsuya's 6-string bassline.

16.  GLAY x KAT-TUN -  Coming Closer

The original is very boyband-ish - in a good way...and a bad way too xD So it's kinda expected to have this kind of number in. Glay has done rock band x boyband-kind of number before, and Kat-Tun has done "New World" cover in TV...but let's say that this will be their least embarrassing effort.

17. Mika Nakashima feat. D'ERLANGER - Blurry Eyes (anniversary rendition)

Anniversary rendition is very carousel-themed (check it out in YT). Kyo's raspy vocals fit the song pretty well, and Mika Nakashima has a chance in showing that she's still able to perform in the level of Hyde (despite them both being weak nowadays due to smoking) - AND the idea of "new generation x old generation" doing the all-time hit is just gorgeous! :D / crazy collab ideas / also, expecting Cipher to do Ken's riffs in his trademark way.

18. H ZETT M x GREAT SAKAEDA x CHIEKO KINBARA - Niji

A good tribute deserves a good ending - and A BIG ONE. Great Sakaeda is the concert master mostly known for partaking in Ringo Shiina's latest orchestral efforts (since Sanmon Gossip I guess?), Chieko Kinbara is the violinist mostly known for collabing with such artists as Ringo Shiina (again) and DEG too (in "Hotarubi").

I might be taking this too far but come to think of it, the original tribute was a pure ripoff...(inb4 opposition).

I gave myself a little too much to work with by going with all Chiba's bands instead of just picking one, so I have more than one song for a few artists. It's so hard to narrow it down.

Chiba Yusuke Tribute Album

THE BEATMOTORS - Baby You Can (The Birthday) – they’re good at slower, sort of laidback rock songs, and I think they would put enough attitude behind it.

Yellow Studs – Namida ga Koboresou (The Birthday) or 19:40 (SNAKE ON THE BEACH) – Would like to see them shorten 19:40 somehow, since it's a little too long to listen to regularly.

Nothing’s Carved In Stone – Hoshi no Melody (ROSSO) – This is my favourite ROSSO song, and I think Taku would nail the emotion near the end

THE BACK HORN - Piano (The Birthday). It’s a sad song, with a slightly dark/sinister feel, and I think that’s where they’re strongest

04 Limited Sazabys - Muddy Cat Blues (The Birthday) – I’d like to hear a lighter version of this one by someone with a childish voice, since the lyrics are so cute.

Jeepta - NIGHT LINE (The Birthday) or Carnival (The Birthday)

ZIGZO - I was walkin’ and sleepin’ (TMGE)

BALZAC - GILDA (The Birthday) or Revolver Junkies (TMGE)

KUROYUME - Sharon (ROSSO)

Drop's - Ano Ko no Suitcase (The Birthday) - Would be cool to hear a female take on this song, and their singer has such a great rock voice

L'Arc~en~Ciel Tribute ~REBOOT!~

18. H ZETT M x GREAT SAKAEDA x CHIEKO KINBARA - Niji

A good tribute deserves a good ending - and A BIG ONE. Great Sakaeda is the concert master mostly known for partaking in Ringo Shiina's latest orchestral efforts (since Sanmon Gossip I guess?), Chieko Kinbara is the violinist mostly known for collabing with such artists as Ringo Shiina (again) and DEG too (in "Hotarubi").

LOL, this entire tribute is over-the-top, haha. And since the track with Kinbara is a bonus track, it should be a house remix lmao :P

ATTENTION SONY:

Let's face it: you snatched the GazettE up and signed them to your label faster than Dracula would volunteer at a blood drive. You know they have potential. I know they have potential. In five years we're going to be looking at a band that's at almost legendary status who would have exercised a great deal of influence on the scene. Then we're going to get into this discussion of how to milk even more money out of fans, and you're going to pull out one of these. So this is what's going to happen: I'll tell you what's good and who you could consider for these songs and if you take even a quarter of these suggestions, I will buy this album. Mostly because I want to see what these bands will do.

BESTZETTE: A MICROCOSM

1. FADELESS - MEJIBRAY x Sophia (ex. Blood Stain Child)

MEJIBRAY wants to be an indie version of the GazettE so badly it hurts, and I figure you want to start off the album with something familiar and catchy that will sell. I want to see how well MEJIBRAY can adapt Gazerock Drop-B tuning. Let Sophia handle all the female vocals and Tsuzuku can nail the incredibly simple but catchy vocal melody. Considering that they call themselves heavy, melodic rock, this is right up their alley.

2. DERANGEMENT - girugamesh.

Leads in perfectly from the last track! I more than most people would like to forget that Gazestep was a thing. However, I think girugamesh would absolutely slay this song. Not to mention, they had their own little phase with MUSIC a few years before, so this is retreading familiar territory more than anything.

3. SILLY GOD DISCO - Shiina Ringo x Seiji Kameda

I know exactly what you are thinking, but hear me out. The GazettE's original interpretation of this song suffers from spotty yet charming Engrish and tacky synth horns. Shiina's unofficial motto is that there's no such thing as too much as long as it's done tastefully. She'll handle the singing and orchestral duties. Kameda can handle the bass, which is integral to the groove of this song. Both of them are from TJ, so jazz sensibilities are not strange to them and they can funk around with the song until they get it right. I would pay to hear this.

4. 余韻 - BORN

It's about time for something a little slower, right? The vocal pitch Ruki takes in this song is right around where Ryoga naturally sings, and parts of it harken back to the atmosphere of Abnormal Head Machine / THE PUBLIC CIRCUS when BORN actually tried with the atmosphere. Plus, it has enough visual kei trappings for BORN to feel comfortable. They can't pass up this opportunity.

5.  LEECH - D.I.D.

Akane's throat-ripping screech on the opening of this track and a handful of some electronic elements are all this band needs to make this song their bitch. Not pretty sure what they'll do about all the female vocals, but they can figure it out.

6.  十四歳のナイフ - 女王蜂

I can see Ziyoouvachi taking this song and upping the amount of crazy, punky energy to ridiculous levels. For that alone, they should do this song and Ai-chan can use both her vocal styles.

7. Psychedelic Heroine - 凛として時雨

A stripped down, indie rock version of this song would just be lovely. The song practically cries for it. Ling Toshite Sigure is all about stripped down, noisy, but ultimately accessible rock. They go together like hands in gloves.

8. 赫い鼓動 - DEATHGAZE

Straightforward metalcore with plenty of harsh vocals and plenty of room for clicky-clicky bass pedal courtesy of Naoki. Ai can take Ruki's lackluster performance and turn it into something awesome.

9. 奈落- lynch.

Let's face it - the TOXIC B-sides are some of the GazettE's better work during that period, so one of them needs to make their way onto this make believe album of mine. lynch. is no stranger to slow tunes and piano, and Hazuki's vocals would fit in here very well. It's one of the few cases so far where I think the cover band can do this song better than the original artist, and Naraku is a pretty chill song.

10. 関東土下座組合 - グリーヴァ

Here's some old-school shit for the old-school band Grieva. Alll the weird sounds and vocal cues are ripe for the picking in this song. Grieva wouldn't be going too far out of their comfort zone with this one and can update an otherwise unknown and neglected GazettE song into something pretty special.

Before I run out of ideas in the later phase (I promise that I won't spam this any further), I will spew out my "last" effort in making sensible tributes, and that's ofc: DEG tribute. I am not the one to knock on Cat's tribute though - it's my "vision" on their possible lineup in possible tribute(s).

I might have been influenced by Cat5 (at least based on certain picks), and that is why he deserves my thanks :)

IN NOMINE - DIR EN GREY respect album-

1. Joe Hisaishi - THE FINAL (overture)

A short, orchestral snippet of DEG's ”all-time hit” - pretty warm welcome for such a big tribute like this. Honorable one, too! With its majestic presence, it's very reminiscent to Final's unplugged version off ”THE UNRAVELING”.

2. Downy – Rinkaku

By refining this to non-chuggy version with more complexity, this will find its way quite easily into Downy's comfort zone. (Side-note: should be tuned up to A# for the sake of segueing from ”THE FINAL”-prelude) Falsetto vocals shouldn't be the problem either.

3. AA= - Child Prey

With those ”Wooh oooh oooh”-ing BG vocals, underlying electro influence (those weird effects during riffs) and downtuned guitars, I can expect Takeshi Ueda and folks to pull out even punkier performance than Kyo's own. The original in fact starts to remind me of Mad Caps for some reason.

4. Coldrain – Agitated Screams of Maggots

Lyrics completely in English? Check. Lots of metalcore-y riffs? Check. Really fitting for Coldrain guys? Well, by judging their earlier covering efforts, I can see them having some potential to do this sweetly too. :)

5. kamomekamome – Clever Sleazoid

After trying out some kamomekamome, I came to the realization that Kyo's performance in CS (both versions) is somewhat similar to what KK's vocalist was doing in most of their songs. I apologize to Cat beforehand for clinging onto same-ish ideas :(

6. Kannivalism - Higeki ha Mabuta wo Oroshita Yasashiku Utsu

Sincere ballads like this are Kannivalism's specialty (knowing that their best songs like ”mum.” are like this), and so is underlying melancholy in Kyo's lyrics. Won't be a random number at all :)

7. THE NOVEMBERS - Toguro

Atmospheric, riffy number – might be pretty much NOVEMBERS' specialty (tagging along with Cat in this case). Knowing what they've done in their latest album, potential of this being a good cover is pretty high. Oh, and let's not forget the bass too :)

8. Lynch. - AMBER

Simple half-ballad with emphasis on low singing → goes well for Hazuki's range (falsettos too) and band's performance. Also, the guitars here are very reminiscent to what lynch. Started to do with ligher songs at their latest records. Nothing really else to explain in terms of obvious artist choice.

9. Boris – Mazohyst of Decadence (2011 ver. cover)

Imagine if this was their lo-fi take on DEG's ”revamped” live version of MoD. I might see Takeshi using more of monotonous vocal take (with Imogen Heap-ish filtering) on Kyo's lyrics (can skip some parts), along with improvised take on Toshiya's VERY audible and varied bassline (lots of fuzz). Wata in the meanwhile can give those ””sludgy”” (have to use double quotation marks for the sake of it) riffs a bit more dynamics. Creepy pro-life songs definitely deserve a deeper take, and Boris are able to pull it off well.

10. DAISHI DANCE feat. Chieko Kinbara – Hotarubi (a LIGHT mix)

Basically an instrumental House mix/cover of Dir's original. Having Kinbara appearing again in this piece (she played violins in the original), and DAISHI DANCE pulling out a Ghibli Set-like performance (vibraphones, soothing piano, some stock falsettos/vocals some strings + etc.). To live up to its mix title, it should be have more of hope-giving aura unlike the original with its ”all hope is gone”-vibes.

11. Michiro Endo/M.J.Q – 304 Goushitsu, Hakushi no Sakura

Assuming that Michiro might ”thank” DEG for covering STALIN's ”Warsaw no Gensou”. With its acoustic-friendly performance, Endo might find himself even at his old age pretty comfortable with this. Some anti-folk-kind of vibe will be sweet for this track (should also be shorter than the original imho)

12. Heaven In Her Arms – DIABOLOS

Some of Kyo's clean parts can be somewhat discarded here, for the sake of post-ish performance here. Atmosphere might be pretty fitting for them, and Kyo's growling/screaming can replaced with their ”signature” screaming without ruining the flow. I might even like their effort more than original.

13. HOLLOWGRAM – Inconvenient Ideal

Falsetto-heavy number? Ryo's top-notch specialty. Also, by listening partly to their ”Qualia”-record, I admit that this wouldn't be an out-of-place number for them. In addition to the first statement of mine, Ryo can pull this off much better – methinks.

14. MERRY – Rasetsukoku

Let's say it briefly: you know how this will end up – no? Imagine this in their ”Under-world” style, with a bit crunchier guitars :)

15. Takumi (RES) – Vanitas (new instrumental mix)

Instrumental coda. Do you guys remember the PA song DEG used to play during DSS promo tour (music box-ish song). Expect this to be a remake but made by ”semi-DEG member” this time. Nice finish for a tribute :)

ps. I tried to make this less random and "biased" ,heh.

妃阿甦 BRAINWASH TRIBUTE ALBUM Vol.1【MONSTER✡PIASS】

01 アヲイ 「奇生虫」

02 DIAURA 「DISCRIMINATION.」

03 CELL-セル- 「性的ウイルス~StoM1079~」

04 Lycaon 「LIGHTNING BREEZE-盲唖聾影-」

05 Black Gene For the Next Scene 「BLACK≒RIGHT」

06 LIV'ERT 「「DUST」・BOX」

07 新興宗教楽団NoGoD 「革・命・前・夜~Revolution eve~」

08 MEJIBRAY 「「舌切り」スズメ」

09 Xepher 「with you~いつまでも此のままで…~」

10 BugLug 「NEVER SAY DIE.」

11 グリーヴァ 「FAREWELL~孤独の中の悲哀~」

12 己龍 「腐体華~ふたいばな~」

妃阿甦 BRAINWASH TRIBUTE ALBUM Vol.2【PSYCHO✡PIASS】

01 AvelCain 「if…「reset」」

02 BIOSPHIA 「FAT fatishism」

03 SCREW 「xx奴隷」

04 ア​ルルカン 「「切断」…「快楽」」

05 D.I.D. 「腐体華~ふたいばな~」

06 WING WORKS 「「舌切り」スズメ」

07 カメレオ 「「あの時のように・・・」」

08 Jupiter 「Live to Love」

09 DEZERT 「二十四刻の「無き」…」

10 Crimson Shiva 「奇生虫」

11 DEATHGAZE 「BLACK≒RIGHT」

12 凛 -the end of corruption world-「~秋流砂~」

I'm on a sukekiyo kick, so here's an ideal covers album done by them.

Flower Travellin' Band- Kirikyogen

Opeth- Porcelain Heart

Mastodon- Oblivion

Luna Sea- Gravity

Daisuke to Kuro no Injatachi- Sousou

Harum Procol- A Whiter Shade of Pale
Iron Maiden- Remember Tomorrow

MUCC- Shion

kannivalism- Life Is

9goats- Kanbina Shigai

DIR EN GREY- 304 Goushitsu, Hakushi no Sakura

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- The Carny

*revives*

MASS OF THE FERMENTING DRUGS TRIBUTE ALBUM:

MASS OF THE COVERING DRUGS

1. delusionalism - HEAVENSTAMP
Sally Cinnamon's voice would fit to this song perfectly, she would definitely nail those high notes of the chorus.

2. ベアーズ - Té
Instrumental song with focus on the drums? (and dat bass) Yep. Nuff said.

3. 青い、濃い、橙色の日 - THE BACK HORN
Fantasizing about this makes me very excited. Yamada singing those verses with his angelic voice and then screaming his lungs out in the chorus.

4. She is inside, He is outside - 凛として時雨  (Ling Tosite Sigure)
Miyoko would handle the vocal duties while TK and Nakano rip it on guitar and drums, respectively.

5. なんなん - THE NOVEMBERS
The composition immediately reminded me of THE NOVEMBERS.

6. まで。情熱ミックス - SuiseiNoboAz
I thought of a different song for SuiseiNoboAz at first but settled with まで。情熱ミックス. Not sure how their singer would handle the vocals but this cover would be interesting to hear for sure.

8. ONEDAY - きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku)
Would be nice to hear Kinoko Teikoku do this sort of shoegaze-y song again, opposed to their recent pop-rock stuff.

8. エンドロール - ENVY
This 9+ minutes long "epic" is straight up Envy's alley with its post-rockish tendencies. They could turn this into a more aggressive number and still keep the atmosphere of the original track. Tetsu could add some of his trademark blabber too.

9. さんざめく - イツエ (Itsue)
I felt this would fit Itsue's vocalist well.

Edited by indigo

Being an old visual kei fan and a new visual kei fan at the same time, a tribute version of a Key Party V.A. would probably be the most relevant to my interests thing I could think of. 

Hold Your Key 2015: A Tribute 

• 僕『しもべ』 (Aliene Ma'riage) - 黒百合と影
  • Rushed Blue (NOi'X) - MeteoroiD
  • 銀色馬車 (Noir Fleurir) - Elm
  • 白い翼 (Missalina Rei) - Pentagon
  • 華-DEFLOWER- (NeiL) - JILUKA
  • 華麗なるDの惨劇 (Eliphas Levi) - LIPHLICH
  • Susperia (Rapture) - DEZERT
  • Vacillate (Lar~Mia) - Avelcain
  • 華-DEFLOWER- (NeiL) - JILUKA
  • Black Out Ripper (SPEED-ID) - Reign
  • One more One (Noir Fleurir) - MORRIGAN